PDA

View Full Version : Grail Gun comes home...

coldcase1984
09-08-2015, 09:15 PM
Actually picked up this 3.5-in. bbl. '70s (my) era iteration of Patton's Killing Gun and Dick Tracy's preferred gat at a gunshow two Saturday's back. Should have never brought all my rathole money with me!

Did not need it but the All-consuming need for a Model 27 Snubby has been on me since I read, in the early '70s, about Jelly Bryce and other local LE gunfighters hired by J. Edgar for the nascent FBI eight decades ago.

Nyeti and a local pal who's probably bought as many big Smiths and Colt's as DB in past few years are to blame. Contacted both after a 72-year-old fellow traveller walked around with The Grail in his hand and gave me a dizzying (to me) price. Both said "they ain't making no maux! "

Prolly gonna run it at the Revolver Roundup on Day 1 in a few weeks.
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v704/elrata/image.jpg2_zps0i6fogfk.jpg (http://smg.photobucket.com/user/elrata/media/image.jpg2_zps0i6fogfk.jpg.html)

Immediately grabbed up an Old School Don Hume rig just to protect its gorgeous blue finish. One of my younger detectives saw it the other day said : "is that a blued gun? It looks like some sort of deep blue chrome..." I said, "that's what blue used to look like."

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v704/elrata/image.jpg1_zpsdtiel5qy.jpg (http://smg.photobucket.com/user/elrata/media/image.jpg1_zpsdtiel5qy.jpg.html)

BehindBlueI's
09-08-2015, 09:22 PM
Very nice.

coldcase1984
09-08-2015, 09:42 PM
Thanks, man! Damned near giddy.

Now have Dad's pre-27 5-in. he carried on AF flight status during Korean War (along with Colt.38 Super, Grease Gun and Garand while working w newly formed CIA in sketchy areas), and a 27-2 5-in. I got as a Skeeter/Dad Tribute gun & carried on duty as a BUG. Always made street folk chill when pointed at them...

45dotACP
09-08-2015, 09:45 PM
Damn that gun is a sweet looking piece.

Malamute
09-08-2015, 09:49 PM
Wow! Looks great!

coldcase1984
09-08-2015, 09:55 PM
Thank you! I may write a letter to TN Wildlife Commission asking them to give me a dispensation to use it on a deer this fall ( regs require 4- inch bbl.; a 4-in. .25ACP is. Legal, but a 3.5-in .357 ain't...

Malamute
09-08-2015, 10:04 PM
Bummer, you may have to break down and buy a 4 inch version so you can hunt deer with it.

(Yes, I'm enabling you)

Dagga Boy
09-08-2015, 10:04 PM
You are officially in the club. Most don't realize it, but once you get a 3.5" 27, you sort of step up to a different level of gun person. Just holding them in your hand takes you to a different place that no polymer gun can. And just remember, as we learned in WWII, that will send a round through a Japanese helmet with the Japanese soldier still in it......good information to know;). You will get tons of style points at the round up. I will have several there for you to drool over, and hopefully, my Barranti Sloan holsters will be done by then.

Dagga Boy
09-08-2015, 10:06 PM
Bummer, you may have to break down and buy a 4 inch version so you can hunt deer with it.

(Yes, I'm enabling you)

I have sort of a rule on this.....if you go 4", it has to be a 28, with the only exception being a nickel 4" model 27. I also love the 28's.

johncorey
09-08-2015, 10:34 PM
Man. All of a sudden I'm feeling a little 'icanhazwheelgun' coming on...scooped an older gen .38 Detective Special in a pawn shop in CENTEX a few years back. I take it out every now and then to just gawk at the blueing. Haven't seen too many of these, read:none, floating around my current AO in the Midwest.

SeriousStudent
09-08-2015, 10:46 PM
What a beautiful pistol, I am delighted that you were able to bring it home with you.

I hope it gives you many years of enjoyment, and that you do take a deer with it.

BehindBlueI's
09-08-2015, 10:58 PM
Man. All of a sudden I'm feeling a little 'icanhazwheelgun' coming on...scooped an older gen .38 Detective Special in a pawn shop in CENTEX a few years back. I take it out every now and then to just gawk at the blueing. Haven't seen too many of these, read:none, floating around my current AO in the Midwest.

Every DS in my area that's in my price range looks like it's been used to pan for gold. :(

LSP552
09-08-2015, 11:04 PM
Most excellent!

johncorey
09-08-2015, 11:05 PM
Every DS in my area that's in my price range looks like it's been used to pan for gold. :(

That's pretty par for the course and lame as hell. Didn't their previous owners know that many PF members would seek to collect and cherish these irons??!!

Mine was a complete blind, dumb luck deal. Spotted it sitting on the bottom counter. Started chatting up the owner. He knew, that I knew what he had, so at first he played hard to get. I took a gamble and let it sit there for a week or so. He broke, and called me up giving me the price I offered. I was willing to pay what he was asking, but the whole principle of haggling thing runs deep in my blood. Good thing he cracked first:) Honestly, IIRC it was $300ish out the door.

Malamute
09-08-2015, 11:28 PM
I have sort of a rule on this.....if you go 4", it has to be a 28, with the only exception being a nickel 4" model 27. I also love the 28's.

Thats probably a good way to look at it. If he bit at that suggestion I was going to say he had a good start on having one in every barrel length, and could then consider himself well rounded in the 27 realm.

I do like the nickel 4" (and every other length).

I may be sweet on the 4" guns from my 4" 29 and 4" 24.

Each time these N frame Smith threads come up I think back on the ones I've had and traded/sold off. I'm not quite as prolific a trader as some, but have had a handful of very memorable 27's and 28's, and a few other 29's. And the earlier 38-44 with the really low adjustable sights and special order ivory bead front. It was marked as a model 10 in the case and priced accordingly. $175.

coldcase1984
09-09-2015, 06:42 AM
Seems I read here or someplace else the S&W Custom Center could swap out the front sight for a McGivern Patridge w a Big gold bead bead. The thought makes me light-headed; though the Baughman abides in my heart, too.

I picked up a pristine Colt's Agent a few years back for $125. I only carry it every oncet awhile in a vintage Bianchi inverted shoulder rig. Too dang pretty to run hard at a course...:D

Jeep
09-09-2015, 09:29 AM
Actually picked up this 3.5-in. bbl. '70s (my) era iteration of Patton's Killing Gun and Dick Tracy's preferred gat at a gunshow two Saturday's back. Should have never brought all my rathole money with me!

Did not need it but the All-consuming need for a Model 27 Snubby has been on me since I read, in the early '70s, about Jelly Bryce and other local LE gunfighters hired by J. Edgar for the nascent FBI eight decades ago.

Nyeti and a local pal who's probably bought as many big Smiths and Colt's as DB in past few years are to blame. Contacted both after a 72-year-old fellow traveller walked around with The Grail in his hand and gave me a dizzying (to me) price. Both said "they ain't making no maux! "

Prolly gonna run it at the Revolver Roundup on Day 1 in a few weeks.

Immediately grabbed up an Old School Don Hume rig just to protect its gorgeous blue finish. One of my younger detectives saw it the other day said : "is that a blued gun? It looks like some sort of deep blue chrome..." I said, "that's what blue used to look like."

What a terrific find! You will never regret making that purchase, and the bluing is sensational. Very well done indeed!

Jeep
09-09-2015, 09:32 AM

The real question is whether there is any blued N frame that isn't worthy of love? K and L frames are great, but N frames are the acme of S&W revolvers.

JHC
09-09-2015, 09:39 AM
So there is this guy that has a 3.5" M27 and he says the bluing was pretty worn so it was time for a new finish. Gray Cerakote. :-O and its for sales for $780.

http://www.theoutdoorstrader.com/threads/fs-smith-wesson-357-mag-27-2-3in-very-nice-l-k-s-w.992507/

Dagga Boy
09-09-2015, 09:48 AM
So there is this guy that has a 3.5" M27 and he says the bluing was pretty worn so it was time for a new finish. Gray Cerakote. :-O and its for sales for $780.

http://www.theoutdoorstrader.com/threads/fs-smith-wesson-357-mag-27-2-3in-very-nice-l-k-s-w.992507/

While I think it would be a good working gun and like it, I have some worries. The second grip should not fit it and the box is wrong. It telsls me something about the owner,which worries me on the finish. I was trying to work a deal on an essentially finish ruined 1950's pre 27 that I made arrangements to send to Robar. I love the idea of saving old damaged guns, but the need to be done right. I have two nice guns that were in near perfect condition and had to go to the gunsmith when I got them due to crimes committed on the internals by YouTube gunsmith's, and I just got another one that needs to go. I have gotten very leery of anything that has been modified.

JHC
09-09-2015, 09:59 AM
My God I didn't notice those round butt grips in the picture the first time through; grimacing as I was over the refinish. I love the looks of a beat up blued revolver.

Poconnor
09-09-2015, 12:38 PM
Congratulations on your 27. There is something about N frames and 1911 government models. They just feel good in your hand. "Heavy, but heavy is good!" Kind of way. I just showed a 27 to buddie. His quote was that "this gun says the guy carriying it is serious, as in he's not fucking around"

LOBO
09-09-2015, 09:06 PM
Congrats on a very beautiful Smith!! A 3 1/2" 27 is high on my grail gun list too.

coldcase1984
09-09-2015, 11:05 PM
You are officially in the club. Most don't realize it, but once you get a 3.5" 27, you sort of step up to a different level of gun person. Just holding them in your hand takes you to a different place that no polymer gun can. And just remember, as we learned in WWII, that will send a round through a Japanese helmet with the Japanese soldier still in it......good information to know;). You will get tons of style points at the round up. I will have several there for you to drool over, and hopefully, my Barranti Sloan holsters will be done by then.

Got an EP River Belt and Threepersons Border Stamped for the 5-in. for an article on the 27-2 a decade ago. It'll be cheesy, but don't like idea of submitting this baby to Kydex.

Still getting goodies for the elk/bear hunt after y'all's class so may not have time
/dough to add Magna's and bright aluminum Tyler's. Pachmayrs will reduce style points but don't wanna bang up these purty Goncalos...
L
Gettin Taux Up about this trip which combines several bucket list items.

entropy
09-10-2015, 12:22 AM
Wow. "Nice" just doesnt do it justice.

Tamara
09-10-2015, 08:50 AM
Mm-hm. *nods*

My 3.5" 27-2 is probably my favorite gun, were I forced to pick one.

Dagga Boy
09-10-2015, 09:10 AM
Mm-hm. *nods*

Nice to have you back in the revolver section. A lot has happened........;)

Robinson
09-10-2015, 09:42 AM
Mm-hm. *nods*

So if you had to choose one revolver for use, favorite or not, would it be the 3.5" M27 or your 4" M19?

Drang
09-10-2015, 11:03 AM

In these cases, good mechanical condition but cosmetically ruined, is there a Go To outfit for re-bluing?

Trajan
09-10-2015, 01:38 PM
How much are 3.5" 27-2s going for these days if you don't mind me asking? That's pretty much the only gun that I want that I don't already own.

I have a mildly modified 4" 27-2 from some PPC guy, but there's just something about snubbys. If I was carrying one for real I think I'd go for a 4" (same applies to 19/66), but the snubbies are just soooo cool.

JHC
09-10-2015, 03:02 PM
How much are 3.5" 27-2s going for these days if you don't mind me asking? That's pretty much the only gun that I want that I don't already own.

I have a mildly modified 4" 27-2 from some PPC guy, but there's just something about snubbys. If I was carrying one for real I think I'd go for a 4" (same applies to 19/66), but the snubbies are just soooo cool.

I would think $1000-$1500 anyway.

I just saw a beautiful 3.5" nickel gun in Dawsonville Guns about a week ago and IIRC they have it marked $1399.

Tamara
09-10-2015, 04:33 PM
So if you had to choose one revolver for use, favorite or not, would it be the 3.5" M27 or your 4" M19?

Tough call. The round-butt K would probably CCW easier...

Dagga Boy
09-10-2015, 04:46 PM
Tough call. The round-butt K would probably CCW easier...

Okay...where is Tam and who is this replacement posting under her name?

I'll just leave this here to remind you......

Tamara
09-10-2015, 04:54 PM
Okay...where is Tam and who is this replacement posting under her name?

I'm just saying that picking a carry gun from these three would be tough:

http://i1374.photobucket.com/albums/ag421/Tamara_Keel/19-51988_zpsuqmbnekp.jpg

http://i1374.photobucket.com/albums/ag421/Tamara_Keel/pconion1_zpsrzgjdxth.jpg

http://i1374.photobucket.com/albums/ag421/Tamara_Keel/27-2corkums_zps0uedhuft.jpg

EDIT: I can't believe that fourteen years ago I apparently thought it was peachy keen to stick a shotgun shell through the trigger guard of a loaded revolver to prop it up for a photo. Jeezis. :o

JR1572
09-10-2015, 05:04 PM
I'm just saying that picking a carry gun from these three would be tough:

http://i1374.photobucket.com/albums/ag421/Tamara_Keel/19-51988_zpsuqmbnekp.jpg

http://i1374.photobucket.com/albums/ag421/Tamara_Keel/pconion1_zpsrzgjdxth.jpg

http://i1374.photobucket.com/albums/ag421/Tamara_Keel/27-2corkums_zps0uedhuft.jpg

EDIT: I can't believe that fourteen years ago I apparently thought it was peachy keen to stick a shotgun shell through the trigger guard of a loaded revolver to prop it up for a photo. Jeezis. :o

I'll take #2.

I don't know what it is, but it's hot.

JR1572

Tamara
09-10-2015, 05:17 PM
I'll take #2.

That's a PC13 from the early days of the Performance Center, when it was Liebenberg and French doing tiny runs of semi-custom autos and revolvers.

SeriousStudent
09-10-2015, 05:44 PM
Goodness, those are all eminently drool-worthy.

Welcome back, Tam. We have been poorer in your absence.

Dagga Boy
09-10-2015, 05:55 PM
I'll take #2.

JR1572

She just puts that one up to screw with me...;-).

Tam, do you still have the 625 snub in .45 Colt?

Tamara
09-10-2015, 06:32 PM
Tam, do you still have the 625 snub in .45 Colt?

I got out of the soulless steel N-snubs back in '08 or '09; the only one I kept was the 629.

Nephrology
09-10-2015, 06:37 PM
This thread is going to give me a heart attack.

BehindBlueI's
09-10-2015, 07:36 PM
In these cases, good mechanical condition but cosmetically ruined, is there a Go To outfit for re-bluing?

Dunno, haven't looked into it.

LSP972
09-10-2015, 07:43 PM

Doug Turnbull. But be prepared for sticker shock.

serialsolver
09-10-2015, 08:05 PM
One day I will have a revolver finished in birdsong black t.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Tamara
09-10-2015, 08:09 PM
Doug Turnbull. But be prepared for sticker shock.

Mmmmm.... Turnbull. I have a case-colored cylinder blank pen holder he was selling at the NRAAM back in '08 sitting here on my desk.

IIRC some of the guys at S&W Forum used to use Ford's (http://fordsguns.com/) in Florida.

SLG
09-10-2015, 08:51 PM
Turnbull is definitely not the go to guy. Great work, no question, but they are unwilling to do all sorts of things that you would think they would be willing to do. In fact, according to more than one top 'smith, only S&W has the tools needed to do a proper re bluing job. I find that hard to believe, but I've heard it from too many people at this point. I'm sure it's not literally true, but it seems to be true on a practical level.

theJanitor
09-10-2015, 09:14 PM
I've heard good things about Glenrock. Aside from hard chromers, I've had all my bluing done by the 'smith that worked on my guns.

http://gunbluing.com/?page_id=779

Tamara
09-10-2015, 09:38 PM
Turnbull is definitely not the go to guy. Great work, no question, but they are unwilling to do all sorts of things that you would think they would be willing to do. In fact, according to more than one top 'smith, only S&W has the tools needed to do a proper re bluing job. I find that hard to believe, but I've heard it from too many people at this point. I'm sure it's not literally true, but it seems to be true on a practical level.

I think most garden variety re-blue jobs are easily spotted by dished screw-heads, blunted corners, wavy flats, et cetera. I have seen star-marked Smith factory refinishes that I would not have guessed were re-blues. That's the main difference right there. My 57 was matte-blued and it's an excellent job, but the logo and trademark are very slightly shallower at one end than the other, which is a giveaway.

http://i1374.photobucket.com/albums/ag421/Tamara_Keel/57-11980_zps25pqkbaj.jpg

LSP972
09-10-2015, 09:41 PM
One day I will have a revolver finished in birdsong black t.

I did that to my old, 1966-vintage M-37 J frame. Pretty cool. BTW, I'd stay away from the various colors they offer now. Walter told me, long ago, that he "standardized" on the green and black (did you know that the green was actually first? Anti-IR coating developed for DOD; the black came later) because they had the best adhesion. After he died and son Wally took over, he began offering colors. I had another J frame done in coyote brown, and it was a disaster; flaking right out of the shipping box. Dunno, they may have gotten it right by now… but caveat emptor, anyway.

LSP972
09-10-2015, 09:45 PM

Interesting re Turnbull. I have several acquaintances who sent beat-up blued S&W revolvers to him; the wait was long and the price was high, but they came back looking like new. What things are they unwilling to do?

And I agree; S&W certainly is not the only place good enough to re-finish a wheel gun properly. Anyone can buy the tools necessary to disassemble/re-assemble a revolver properly. The secret to good bluing is the chemicals and controlling their temperature.

SLG
09-10-2015, 09:53 PM
Interesting re Turnbull. I have several acquaintances who sent beat-up blued S&W revolvers to him; the wait was long and the price was high, but they came back looking like new. What things are they unwilling to do?

And I agree; S&W certainly is not the only place good enough to re-finish a wheel gun properly. Anyone can buy the tools necessary to disassemble/re-assemble a revolver properly. The secret to good bluing is the chemicals and controlling their temperature.

They were unwilling to reblue a Combat Masterpiece. The issue isn't disassembly and reassembly, the issue is polishing. Very few people have the right radius wheels to do the job properly. Of course, not even S&W can reblue a Combat Masterpiece and make it look authentic.

LSP972
09-10-2015, 10:33 PM
The issue isn't disassembly and reassembly, the issue is polishing. Very few people have the right radius wheels to do the job properly.

Okay, I can see that.

But what makes an M-15/pre M-15 so extra-special? Wracking my brain here; the only difference I can think of between it and a run-of-the-mill K frame (aside from the adjustable sights, of course) is possibly the barrel taper?

SLG
09-11-2015, 05:41 AM
Okay, I can see that.

But what makes an M-15/pre M-15 so extra-special? Wracking my brain here; the only difference I can think of between it and a run-of-the-mill K frame (aside from the adjustable sights, of course) is possibly the barrel taper?

I don't think there is anything different about it. When I called to inquire about a bluing job, they said they were unable to do it. This was about a month ago. Maybe they're backlogged, maybe they only do it as part of something else, IDK, but they didn't say any of that. They just said they can't do it.

LSP972
09-11-2015, 06:14 AM
I don't think there is anything different about it. They just said they can't do it.

Right. Sounds like they don't want to mess with it. 'Cause I'm reasonably certain they CAN do it.

Have you contacted the factory? Do they even offer the service anymore?

SLG
09-11-2015, 08:23 AM
The factory will do it, but it will look like their current blued guns. I wanted it to look like it did originally, hence, Turnbull.

Tamara
09-11-2015, 08:37 AM
The factory will do it, but it will look like their current blued guns. I wanted it to look like it did originally, hence, Turnbull.

Knowing Turnbull's stock-in-trade is duplicating the original finish as identically as possible, could it just be that they don't do that particular vintage of S&W blue? I don't know I've seen an actual Turnbull restoration-qua-restoration on anything newer than early 20th Century Colt autos. I don't know I've ever seen a Turnbull-done Hand Ejector.

coldcase1984
09-11-2015, 10:03 AM
I think most garden variety re-blue jobs are easily spotted by dished screw-heads, blunted corners, wavy flats, et cetera. I have seen star-marked Smith factory refinishes that I would not have guessed were re-blues. That's the main difference right there. My 57 was matte-blued and it's an excellent job, but the logo and trademark are very slightly shallower at one end than the other, which is a giveaway.

http://i1374.photobucket.com/albums/ag421/Tamara_Keel/57-11980_zps25pqkbaj.jpg

Miss Tamara,

Have you fired that 57 without ear pro, like hunting or something?

My experience is ported weapons are the only ones that leave me with ringing/impairment after shots at game; suppose it's a mild form of tachypsychia. Auditory exclusion but no super-slow motion effect...

Ryan127
09-11-2015, 10:53 AM
Nyeti helped me get a 3.5 model 27 a few months back. Problem was it came home with a model 10 PPC, a Ruger SP101, and a Colt DS. Not really a problem but caused me to sleep in the guest bedroom for a couple of nights. The 27 was unfired and I just look at it. Kinda want to get one to fire and keep this one all for me.

Dagga Boy
09-11-2015, 11:44 AM
Nyeti helped me get a 3.5 model 27 a few months back. Problem was it came home with a model 10 PPC, a Ruger SP101, and a Colt DS. Not really a problem but caused me to sleep in the guest bedroom for a couple of nights. The 27 was unfired and I just look at it. Kinda want to get one to fire and keep this one all for me.

I'll take the 27 off your hands if it helps.......:cool:

Poconnor
09-13-2015, 07:57 AM
Any other experience refinishing old S&Ws? I have two 27-2s that could use some work. I am thinking of hard chroming one to carry and reblue the other. Is there a source for wider notch white outline rear sight blades? The brief search I did showed only different heights

SLG
09-13-2015, 08:14 AM
Any other experience refinishing old S&Ws? I have two 27-2s that could use some work. I am thinking of hard chroming one to carry and reblue the other. Is there a source for wider notch white outline rear sight blades? The brief search I did showed only different heights

Bowen should be able to take care of your sights and basic refinishing like that.

Dagga Boy
09-15-2015, 10:13 AM
In today's installment of Festivus reasons to hate me.....early 50's Pre 27 with an exceptional set of Elk Stags. Sorry about the weird glare on the grip emblems....still not good at pictures.

entropy
09-15-2015, 11:54 AM
Dude...thats just the aura.

Jeep
09-15-2015, 12:18 PM
In today's installment of Festivus reasons to hate me.....early 50's Pre 27 with an exceptional set of Elk Stags. Sorry about the weird glare on the grip emblems....still not good at pictures.

Yep--that is very definitely a reason to hate you. What I hate, though, is the modern age which doesn't seem to be able to do bluing and polishing like that.

theJanitor
09-15-2015, 12:24 PM
I'm really happy I'm a crappy Revolver shooter. It makes this all less painful

Malamute
09-15-2015, 12:34 PM
I'm really happy I'm a crappy Revolver shooter. It makes this all less painful

Perhaps you havent come to the realization that if you own several outstanding revolvers, you can be a better revolver shooter. Just having them in the house has some sort of effect.

Dagga Boy
09-15-2015, 01:37 PM
Perhaps you havent come to the realization that if you own several outstanding revolvers, you can be a better revolver shooter. Just having them in the house has some sort of effect.

Trust me, The Janitor did not skimp on trying to have an outstanding revolver.......he started at the top of the food chain.

Malamute
09-15-2015, 02:17 PM
Trust me, The Janitor did not skimp on trying to have an outstanding revolver.......he started at the top of the food chain.

I'm just trying to enable, I mean encourage, him to feel free to buy more.

Besides, much of the joy of a great revolver is owning and admiring it. That they can make one a better shooter by osmosis by having them around is a fringe benefit.

JHC
09-26-2015, 04:39 PM
Well dayim. I dropped in to a small pawnshop/gunshop here that I haven't been by for quite some time and found a half dozen nice used S&W revolvers one doesn't come across very often. All them pre lock, some pre-numbered and low and behold I walked out with a 1956 vintage 3.5" .357. I immediately told him that gun should be priced double what he had on it and he said "I know, but when I get 'em good, I sell 'em good." OK.

Apparently these guns came from an estate - the son who inherited them rolled in with quite a few revolvers to turn to cash.

Rob S - I actually thought of you and your point about guns as legacy as perceived by offspring. ;)

Dagga Boy
09-26-2015, 04:56 PM
Well dayim. I dropped in to a small pawnshop/gunshop here that I haven't been by for quite some time and found a half dozen nice used S&W revolvers one doesn't come across very often. All them pre lock, some pre-numbered and low and behold I walked out with a 1956 vintage 3.5" .357. I immediately told him that gun should be priced double what he had on it and he said "I know, but when I get 'em good, I sell 'em good." OK.

Apparently these guns came from an estate - the son who inherited them rolled in with quite a few revolvers to turn to cash.

Rob S - I actually thought of you and your point about guns as legacy as perceived by offspring. ;)

Pictures or it didn't happen.....

JHC
09-27-2015, 02:50 PM
Pictures or it didn't happen.....

I was trying to hold for the center of the plate and ran this group high. It should be more controllable when the Tyler T grip adaptor shows up any day now.

https://www.flickr.com/photos/78036189@N07/21576207570/in/dateposted-public/

Inkwell 41
06-05-2016, 05:47 PM
This thread had me looking, quite longingly, at a 3 1/2" Model 27 at a show a few months ago. It was laying right side up. Asked the guy how much, "$900" was his reply. He handed it to me and when I turned it over, it had initials engraved on the left side, below the cylinder release. Pretty bummed at this, I told him I'd think about it. Never went back....... and I think I was an idiot for not. One day, I keep telling myself, one day.

coldcase1984
06-05-2016, 10:15 PM
They're not making any maux!

HCM
06-06-2016, 01:35 AM
This thread had me looking, quite longingly, at a 3 1/2" Model 27 at a show a few months ago. It was laying right side up. Asked the guy how much, "$900" was his reply. He handed it to me and when I turned it over, it had initials engraved on the left side, below the cylinder release. Pretty bummed at this, I told him I'd think about it. Never went back....... and I think I was an idiot for not. One day, I keep telling myself, one day.

You can legally change your name to match the initials.

11B10
06-06-2016, 11:19 AM

What you may or may not lack in picture taking expertise is overwhelmed by your ability to keep driving me closer to a revolver meltdown. That is a beautiful firearm, Sir.

11B10
06-06-2016, 11:21 AM

Don't suppose this pawn shop has a northern regional shop - say, maybe in Pa.?

Inkwell 41
06-06-2016, 11:21 AM
You can legally change your name to match the initials.

I wished I'd thought of that.

Buckshot
06-07-2016, 06:42 PM
I still say that the 3 1/2" 27 is the most PURPOSEFUL looking handgun ever - & I don't even have one anymore! I do have a couple barrels set aside in case I luck into an otherwise appropriate 27.

Dagga Boy
06-07-2016, 07:23 PM
I still say that the 3 1/2" 27 is the most PURPOSEFUL looking handgun ever - & I don't even have one anymore! I do have a couple barrels set aside in case I luck into an otherwise appropriate 27.

I have a 3" Model 24 barrel in .44 Spl just waiting to find a 6" Model 24 to swap it into for a sort of big bore version of the 27.

Jeep
06-08-2016, 12:19 PM
I have a 3" Model 24 barrel in .44 Spl just waiting to find a 6" Model 24 to swap it into for a sort of big bore version of the 27.

This is getting pretty complex. Should we (1) start hating you now because of the prospect of a 3" Model 24; (2) hate you when you find that 6" 24 and thus we know that the 3" version will soon be a reality; or (3) start the hate when the work is completed and you have physical possession of a 3" Model 24?

Next you are going to tell us that you have one of those State Department 2.5 inch Model 19's or something like that.

Dagga Boy
06-08-2016, 02:06 PM
This is getting pretty complex. Should we (1) start hating you now because of the prospect of a 3" Model 24; (2) hate you when you find that 6" 24 and thus we know that the 3" version will soon be a reality; or (3) start the hate when the work is completed and you have physical possession of a 3" Model 24?

Next you are going to tell us that you have one of those State Department 2.5 inch Model 19's or something like that.

Wait till option 3. I ll surprise you guys. A State Dept 2.5" 19 and a NIS Ruger Speed Six are still on my list of "needs".

Malamute
06-08-2016, 08:38 PM

If this transpires, are you going to let the 6" 24 barrel go?

Can I be first in line?

Dagga Boy
06-08-2016, 09:18 PM
If this transpires, are you going to let the 6" 24 barrel go?

Can I be first in line?

Yes you can.

Brian T
06-09-2016, 12:18 AM
Wait till option 3. I ll surprise you guys. A State Dept 2.5" 19 and a NIS Ruger Speed Six are still on my list of "needs".

Well I am blanking on what NIS means, but I know where a 2 3/4 stainless steel Speed Six can be found.... just saying.... because I'm trying to be an enabler...

Dagga Boy
06-09-2016, 01:30 AM
Well I am blanking on what NIS means, but I know where a 2 3/4 stainless steel Speed Six can be found.... just saying.... because I'm trying to be an enabler...

I have one. I want one of the Naval Investigative Service issue guns. Those actually have some sentimental meaning for me, but they are rare birds.

Jeep
06-09-2016, 12:33 PM
A State Dept 2.5" 19 [is] still on my list of "needs".

I have a 2.5 inch Model 19 with a polished blue finish. It was not made in S&W's glory day--the top strap doesn't quite line up with the barrel and it has a number of mechanical issues--but it is a tack driver. When I do my job (and adequately deal with arthritis and eyesight issues) I think it is a less than 1" gun at 25 yards.

Those State Department guns, with their matte finish, are really nice--if they can be found. However, you seem to have an unbelievable knack for finding nice revolvers.

I think you need a nicely polished, 4" MR-73, though.

Buckshot
06-09-2016, 09:51 PM
I'd really love a NIS 4" M19! :cool:

Ryan127
06-10-2016, 11:23 AM
I mentioned earlier in this thread that Nyeti helped me with a 3.5 model 27 purchase a little over a year ago. I have moved from just looking at it and happy knowing I have one to dry firing it with snap caps. The next step in this transition will be to actually using live ammo. When I got it, it was new in box bought from a serious S&W collector. Part of me says to keep it unfired, but the other part of me says to shoot it a lot. 8443

Dagga Boy
06-10-2016, 01:38 PM
Shoot it, just don't abuse it (that is what Model 28's are for).

NEPAKevin
06-20-2016, 10:37 AM
I have one. I want one of the Naval Investigative Service issue guns. Those actually have some sentimental meaning for me, but they are rare birds.

Something like this?

WTS: Ohio area: Ruger GS32-N .357 (DAO, Stainless version speed six for NIS/Gov't) (https://pistol-forum.com/showthread.php?21057-Ohio-area-Ruger-GS32-N-357-(DAO-Stainless-version-speed-six-for-NIS-Gov-t))

xray 99
06-21-2016, 07:09 PM

It's fitted with the three "Ts", is a Model 27 no dash, and has an "S" prefix sn.