PDA

View Full Version : Calling all Cops: Need relationship advice with local PD as a business owner....

BaiHu
09-08-2015, 08:59 AM
I teach martial arts.

I'm pro-gun, pro-LEO/MIL/EMS/FIRE.

The youth/adults I teach aren't necessarily, but I'd like to be a good liaison for the above in order to change the current climate of suck. If we don't change the mind of the young, then we'll never change the minds of the old.

That being said, I'm going to meet with the LT in 2 weeks to discuss joining forces. Without telling you what I'd like to do/provide for the PD, I'd like you all to tell me what you'd love to have from a guy who has a good facility close by and a passion/determination to help.

Thanks in advance guys.

jondoe297
09-08-2015, 09:05 AM
If the local agency has limited facilities, invite them in to use your school for D.T. training when you aren't having classes.
Offer classes for the local LEOs at a reduced rate.
Apply to the auxiliary/reserve component of the agency.

voodoo_man
09-08-2015, 09:12 AM
If the local agency has limited facilities, invite them in to use your school for D.T. training when you aren't having classes.
Offer classes for the local LEOs at a reduced rate.
Apply to the auxiliary/reserve component of the agency.

All those are good suggestions.

Getting LEOs in your school will help a lot, since people will get to interact with them on a non-official basis.

Seminars would be good too, hold a seminar for LEOs and have your students teach or help.

BaiHu
09-08-2015, 10:48 PM
Thanks guys.

hufnagel
09-09-2015, 06:17 AM
if NP is unresponsive I can put you in touch with someone in BH.

BaiHu
09-09-2015, 07:21 AM
if NP is unresponsive I can put you in touch with someone in BH.

I'm starting with BH. PM me if you have some connections. Anything is helpful at this point.

Robinson
09-09-2015, 08:35 AM
Let me start by saying I don't assume you need my advice on what to teach. I will just share that some time ago I did have some LEOs involved in a dojo where I was an instructor. I teach traditional Okinawan Goju, which is a close-in style utilizing both circular and linear techniques -- strikes, mostly low kicks, throws, knees, elbows, etc...

I learned that while the LEOs were good students and the training was fine for their own personal use it was not necessarily great for use on their job. Even though Goju employs semi-grappling techniques most of the style involves causing as much damage as possible as quickly as possible without a lot of less extreme options. So I was in a situation where I had to significantly alter what was being taught -- and this would incur a learning curve on my own part -- or steer the officers toward other options such as jujitsu that were more applicable to their duty requirements.

Simply put, I soon discovered that the LEOs' training requirements for hands-on techniques to use on the job were outside my expertise. YMMV.

BaiHu
09-09-2015, 09:01 AM
Let me start by saying I don't assume you need my advice on what to teach. I will just share that some time ago I did have some LEOs involved in a dojo where I was an instructor. I teach traditional Okinawan Goju, which is a close-in style utilizing both circular and linear techniques -- strikes, mostly low kicks, throws, knees, elbows, etc...

I learned that while the LEOs were good students and the training was fine for their own personal use it was not necessarily great for use on their job. Even though Goju employs semi-grappling techniques most of the style involves causing as much damage as possible as quickly as possible without a lot of less extreme options. So I was in a situation where I had to significantly alter what was being taught -- and this would incur a learning curve on my own part -- or steer the officers toward other options such as jujitsu that were more applicable to their duty requirements.

Simply put, I soon discovered that the LEOs' training requirements for hands-on techniques to use on the job were outside my expertise. YMMV.

Excellent point and one I have considered. I too am an Okinawan practitioner of the Isshin line. I too am very comfortable with the same thought process as you are: close striking, low kicks, standing grappling and simple trips/throws.

My intention is to meet with their DT guy first so that I don't waste their time with techniques that don't help them on the job. I have some ideas, mainly around footwork. Every single time I see a cop on video, I see horrible footwork. Flat feet, straight legs and plodding movement. If my presumption of footwork is misunderstood or wrong, someone please chime in and set me straight.

TGS
09-09-2015, 09:24 AM
My intention is to meet with their DT guy first so that I don't waste their time with techniques that don't help them on the job. I have some ideas, mainly around footwork. Every single time I see a cop on video, I see horrible footwork. Flat feet, straight legs and plodding movement. If my presumption of footwork is misunderstood or wrong, someone please chime in and set me straight.

On those considerations, assess how critical core strength is to the proper performance of your techniques. Few cops are gun guys. Even fewer are yogis that can hold a plank or warrior pose for any length of time. Add in the boots and duty gear, and the ability of many people to be on the balls of their feet with a low stance in a fight is dubious. Consider that if you were a cop, you'd probably sit somewhere in the top .5% for physical fitness.

On the other hand, I don't know your local departments....they may only hire PT studs. NJ is weird like that, as each individual municipality is their own fifedom and may have wildly different cultures in their PD.

It could be a great learning experience. I would also consider reaching out to the DT instructors at local academies, the state police academy in Sea Girt, or hell, even FLETC (Glynco GA, Cheltenham MD, Artesia NM). They very well might have actual programs to exchange ideas. When I was in the marines, the martial arts center had an open invitation to any credible martial arts instructor willing to pressure test his techniques in gear.

BaiHu
09-09-2015, 09:33 AM
On those considerations, assess how critical core strength is to the proper performance of your techniques. Few cops are gun guys. Even fewer are yogis that can hold a plank or warrior pose for any length of time. Add in the boots and duty gear, and the ability of many people to be on the balls of their feet with a low stance in a fight is dubious. Consider that if you were a cop, you'd probably sit somewhere in the top .5% for physical fitness.

On the other hand, I don't know your local departments....they may only hire PT studs. NJ is weird like that, as each individual municipality is their own fifedom and may have wildly different cultures in their PD.

It could be a great learning experience. I would also consider reaching out to the DT instructors at local academies, the state police academy in Sea Girt, or hell, even FLETC (Glynco GA, Cheltenham MD, Artesia NM). They very well might have actual programs to exchange ideas. When I was in the marines, the martial arts center had an open invitation to any credible martial arts instructor willing to pressure test his techniques in gear.
Thanks! Keep the ideas coming.

john c
09-09-2015, 03:10 PM
Not too long ago I took an LE only class from a local Krav Maga dojo on weapon retention and gun grabs. It was very valuable, and cost ~$15 per student with a class of 12 or so. These are specific techniques, but pretty basic. I need a refresher.