PDA

View Full Version : iPhone Help!

WobblyPossum
09-07-2015, 07:03 PM
I updated to iOS 8.4.1 yesterday and now my iPhone 5s doesn't work. I can't access cellular data, send/receive text messages, or send/receive phone calls. I can still access wifi which allows me to use the internet and send/receive texts, but still no phone calls. A quick Google search showed me I'm not the only one this happened to. I went to the local Verizon store and the employee basically told me to wait for iOS 9. I tried getting in touch with Apple support through their website but I couldn't set up a call to any number but my cell phone, which obviously wouldn't work. It was the least user friendly tech support site I've ever seen.

Any help would be appreciated! I'm currently using a prepaid phone I bought at Walmart....

Coyotesfan97
09-07-2015, 07:24 PM
Are there any Apple stores in your area?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

WobblyPossum
09-07-2015, 07:33 PM
The closest Apple store is 77 miles away in Albany, NY.

JDM
09-07-2015, 07:43 PM
I recently had occasion to use Apple's tech support. It was difficult to set up a phone call with someone from tech, but once I did they were extremely helpful, and my issue was solved almost immediately.

I recommend pursuing the phone call angle.

GardoneVT
09-07-2015, 07:49 PM
Any help would be appreciated! I'm currently using a prepaid phone I bought at Walmart....

Keep doing that.

Alright, maybe it's not as much fun as your iPhone.Yet contrary to the cultural zeitgeist....one does not need a smartphone or its attendant $1200 + yearly bill.

LSP972
09-07-2015, 08:02 PM
Now you know why my iMac is still running on Snow Leopard, and why I will never buy another Apple product. When my iPhone 5C is no longer viable (and they're already making noise about ditching it), I'll start using those GoPhones or whatever.

Apple shit has planned obselescence. They pretty much force you to buy new gear every so often. My wife has always been an Apple addict; she has every piece of gear they make except an iMac. And EVERY time she has upgraded to the next OS, all her synced stuff has suddenly become un-synced, requiring a trip to the Apple store to un-fuck it.

We thought it was her; so the last time, we went to the Apple store, in the presence of an Apple tech, before "pushing the button". It all went to shit; we had ALL of her devices with us, and none of them were "talking" to each other. It took the kid and his manager TWO hours and several calls to their super-secret tech line to get it un-fucked.

I am SO done with them. I realize they need to cater to their main market, which demands the latest/greatest whatever. But they totally ignore those of us who don't give a shit about being able to multi-text, or a twenty zillion mega-pixel processor in their cell phone camera; with which they cannot properly frame most shots anyway.

There are a LOT of folks in your boat today; they have long gotten rid of a land-line or other commo medium, and when their cell phone takes a dump they are basically incommunicado.

My iMac desktop is still running okay, although I have noticed a distinct slow-down of operation. My ipad2 is still good, but all I do with it is read Kindle stuff, and occasionally check some forums with it. And I have been pretty well pleased with the iPhone 5C. But when all iof that stuff eventually pukes, as it eventually must, I'll be looking for another equipment manufacturer… and not Motorola, either.

Hope you get it sorted out, bud. My oldest daughter went through this last "upgrade". She got it sorted eventually, but it cost her unnecessary grief and time out of her day. She ain't so much of an Apple cheerleader, these days…

Dagga Boy
09-07-2015, 08:25 PM
I love my IPhone 4S. I learned long ago.....never hit the upgrade or new IOS whatever. I honestly think everything has a planned life these days and it is not limited to Apple. I wish they would make an Apple dumb phone. Communications...phone, text, email. Music, GPS and a camera. Limit them to 5 Apps and call it good for us dummies.

GardoneVT
09-07-2015, 08:28 PM
When I was in wireless, heres what I noticed.

Apple equipment quality is average. They work OK, but if theres a problem the solution is "Call Apple". Rural folks should avoid the brand, because Apple designs their products in California FOR hipster Californians.iPhones are the device equivalent of BMWs. You use it until Something Breaks, then you toss it back to the company in trade in towards another one. They're not made to be used serviceable because of that.

If an HTC , Motorola, etc fails theres usually a workaround app or process to keep the device working. Apple? Take it to the store.

No store within 200 + miles?

Welcome to You're Bonedville.

If one skips the software updates , you could get two years out of an iPhone.Downside is you won't be able to do squat with the device because all the cool stuff is tied into the software update ; no new apps, no updates, memory builds up, etc.Calls, text and basic internet only; so you may as well just go prepaid.

Paladin
09-07-2015, 08:42 PM
You might try downoading the beta version of iOS 9 through Apple's website here (https://beta.apple.com/sp/betaprogram/). You just have to register and it will gve you directions on how to do it This might fix your problem if your problem is in the software.

Rick

LSP972
09-07-2015, 09:35 PM
I love my IPhone 4S. .

As did I my 3S. It did everything I needed; right up until the day it simply quit working. I even downloaded the then-current OS, thinking that was the problem. Nope, the phone lacked something that upgrades to the cell signal needed to see; or so the AT&T guy told me. He might have just been trying to sell me a new phone; dunno, don't care. I did buy this iPhone 5C as a result; but not from AT&T.

Anyway, I think GardoneVT has it right; Apple is designing this stuff for people who want, understand how to use, and therefore demand all this whiz-bang shit. I can barely attach a photo to a text message. Plus, these things are getting out of hand size-wise. Hell, the first iPhone 6 examples were getting BENT when carried in back pockets and being sat upon.

I'm with DB; I need a dumb phone for my dumb ass. I miss my Razor; even if it was made by those commie bastards at Motorola…

dbateman
09-07-2015, 09:46 PM
This is going to sound dumb.

It's not something in your settings ? I know you can turn off/on voice calls ect in there.

ETA: Oh look at that I can do the iOS 8.4.1 update.

I'll see what it does.

tanner
09-08-2015, 02:11 AM
I was reading on the internet (as usual, a dangerous proposition for me) and saw something about the beta version of iOS 9. I volunteered to deal with the resultant glitches like a dummy. After a few weeks of irritation, it seems to be working much more smoothly now. As was recommended earlier, I would try that.

Call me an Apple fanboy, but I love my iPhone. MacBook Pro is going on 6 years and still working well. Both times I had problems with the laptop (once where it fell off the table and broke stuff on the inside) they fixed it free of charge. iPad works great too.

I have the luxury of having an Apple store within 10 miles of my house though. If I lived in the boonies and didn't get the quick fixes, I would probably be frustrated as hell too.

And, I have three teenaged daughters. If I couldn't instasnapfacetweet, I would have no idea what was going on in their lives, so I kinda need the smartphone...

farscott
09-08-2015, 04:34 AM
Have you tried to restore your phone using iTunes? I would wipe the device and do a restore.

BTW, I have been running 8.4.1 for a bit on two different iPhone 5 (personal and corporate) units with no issues. Both are on AT&T, so that may be a factor.

Hambo
09-08-2015, 06:26 AM
As above, check settings. I updated my iPhone6 to the most recent OS and it changed a couple of things that affected Bluetooth. If that doesn't work I think farscott gave great advice.

Now about the iPhone haterade. I'm not a big fan, but my wife and I used a pair of iPhone 4 (not S) for five years and updated the OS as they came out with zero problems. We recently changed to iPhone 6 because battery life was starting to degrade on the 4's.

My biggest problem with Apple is that the company attitude is much like BMW. If they don't think you need it, you don't need it. To wit, the lack of USB ports on iPads because iCloud is all you need. My wife drank their Koolaid and is fine with all that, but I like to think my needs are real even if they aren't cutting edge.

OnionsAndDragons
09-08-2015, 09:29 AM
I like my iPhone 5s. I've had fewer problems with it than most pervious phones from other manufacturers.

I do have a standard procedure of turning off automatic updates, though. I wait a few weeks before doing any OS upgrades to see if there are any major issues that pop up. This has saved me more than one headache, I am sure.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

WobblyPossum
09-08-2015, 08:48 PM
Ok guys, update time:
I made contact with Apple's tech support folks. We went through the step-by-step troubleshooting list and eventually reached the "wipe everything and restore to factory" option. Get this. I can't wipe my phone unless I can turn off find my iphone. Without cellular data, I can't turn off find my iphone. I don't have wifi at home. Tomorrow, I'm going to try and stop buy a local business that has free wifi and hook into it so it can shut off find my iphone. Then I'll contact the tech support rep and we'll go from there.

BobLoblaw
09-08-2015, 10:40 PM
I wouldn't wipe anything until I have a ready to go backup of your data. Below is what I've always done.

There's a "Reset Network Settings" button that I'm assuming you've tried. If so:
1) back up your phone, contacts, etc. to your computer via iTunes
2) with the phone still plugged in to the computer, press and hold both the home and power button
3) when the screen goes black, let go of the power button but keep holding the home button
4) let go of the home button after 15 more seconds
5) your phone is now in DFU mode. Restore your phone according to what iTunes says and when it is resetting, set it up as a NEW phone. You should be able to make a receive calls now.
6) restore your phone from the back up that you created in step 1

Ask me how I got my drinking monies in college.

WobblyPossum
09-09-2015, 08:24 PM
You guys are going to love this:
Initially, I took my phone to the Verizon store. The employee there assumed it was the iOS update that killed my phone. Once I restored my phone to factory new and it didn't work, I started looking into Verizon as the problem, not Apple. It turns out that someone screwed up at Verizon and put my phone on the lost/stolen list and cut off its service. All fixed now.

BobLoblaw
09-14-2015, 07:46 PM
HA! I've not heard that one yet. Who did you piss off at Verizon?

GardoneVT
09-14-2015, 09:21 PM
HA! I've not heard that one yet. Who did you piss off at Verizon?

MEID numbers are long. Thus it is very easy for a carrier rep to fat finger and accidentally hotline the wrong device. I always triple checked entering customers ' mobile equipment ID numbers before clicking the "GO" button for this very reason.

WobblyPossum
09-15-2015, 09:36 AM
Verizon even credited me $30 towards my next bill to partially reimburse me for the straight talk phone I had to buy to keep in contact with the world while my iPhone was down.