PDA

View Full Version : Ret. Captain Philip Hemphill (MS Hwy Patrol) 100 Yard shot with .380acp

lcjohnston00
09-06-2015, 12:18 AM
PPC shooter and retired Captain Philip Hemphill is best known for his incredible run of National Championships, however nowadays, he's focused on training up and coming troopers at MLEOTA. Thankfully I've been blessed to have him take his time to train me and occasionally show me a few of his incredible skills. This past week I brought my Ruger LCP .380 (with pretty scrolling, I might add, so slightly feminine :) and asked him if he could shoot it at 100 yards. I came prepared with a balloon and took the time to video it (thankfully). Probably more of a surprise to him than me, he nailed it pretty dang quick! I wanted to share it with as many people as I could so that this LEO shooting superstar gets as much recognition as possible. He's won numerous LE awards but is virtually unknown in the civilian world for the incredible shooter he is. I'm trying to prove to him that he's still got it, after all these years!

I hope you guys enjoy it as much as I did!
*Sidenote: sorry for the panting, I brought my dog to the range that day and it's SUPER hot in Mississippi, right now!*

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HhkC5xFWCsI

JBP55
09-06-2015, 07:07 AM
LSP 972 used to compete with Captain Hemphill who has been referred to as a "Walking Ransom Rest".

MD7305
09-06-2015, 07:11 AM
Great video! Welcome to Pistol-Forum!

walker2713
09-06-2015, 07:35 AM
Wonderful!! Thanks for the video!

LSP972
09-06-2015, 07:38 AM
Phillip Hemphill is one of the few true Nature's Gentlemen left among us. Just a great guy; and a deadly one.

As our new member pointed out, he has won the National Police Shooting Championship seven times; and was knocking on the door of the NRA Conventional Pistol (bullseye) title, last I heard.

LSP552
09-06-2015, 09:32 AM
Phillip Hemphill is one of the few true Nature's Gentlemen left among us. Just a great guy; and a deadly one.

As our new member pointed out, he has won the National Police Shooting Championship seven times; and was knocking on the door of the NRA Conventional Pistol (bullseye) title, last I heard.

And has shot a possible 1500 score. I'd believe anything with Phillip Hemphill and impossible shot in the same sentence.

Beat Trash
09-06-2015, 10:04 AM
I'm at the point in life where I don't know that I could even see the ballon at 100 yds.

That was an amazing shot. Especially with a Ruger LCP.

JAD
09-06-2015, 10:30 AM
I love how the dog was smart enough to pause his panting for each shot.

BaiHu
09-06-2015, 10:35 AM
Awesome!

LSP972
09-06-2015, 11:23 AM
And has shot a possible 1500 score.

AFAIK, he and Jim Collins of Alabama State Police are the only two people who have ever cleaned the 1500 Aggregate in a Registered match; which is the only time it counts. I remember Kerry Hile posted a 1499 at a regional back in the 80s, and there have been several other '98s and '99s.

Wayne Dobbs
09-06-2015, 06:50 PM
Nyeti and I spend time with him every year at SHOT, where he works for Rock River and we for Aimpoint. Displays are across the aisle from each other and it's great to pick a great's brain!

Dagga Boy
09-06-2015, 07:12 PM
Nyeti and I spend time with him every year at SHOT, where he works for Rock River and we for Aimpoint. Displays are across the aisle from each other and it's great to pick a great's brain!

Phil is just a super nice guy and a real life hero for those of us who struggle with the daily battle of being a good shooter. He is the quiet legend of the shooting industry. He is likely the greatest handgun shooter of our time, and virtually unknown to most people.

Also......I was hoping Dobbs didn't see this. I finally got him into ditching his LCP for something that I felt was much better and this video shows up....arggrrghhh.

Wayne Dobbs
09-06-2015, 07:35 PM
The LCP is ditched and has been for some time.

Dagga Boy
09-06-2015, 08:38 PM
The LCP is ditched and has been for some time.

Sorry to out you like that......but it had to be done;). The fact that you could shoot it better than most of the country can shoot a Glock does not make it right....:cool:.

MGW
09-06-2015, 10:11 PM
That's pretty amazing. I sure didn't expect a hit on the second shot.

Also......I was hoping Dobbs didn't see this. I finally got him into ditching his LCP for something that I felt was much better and this video shows up....arggrrghhh.

Don't leave us hanging! What's better than the obviously bullseye accurate LCP?

Dagga Boy
09-06-2015, 11:19 PM
We are running the same guns for our training business. HK Vp9's as primaries and S&W M&P 340's as back up's and deep cover guns. Wayne is doing pretty crazy good work with that 340 including shooting several perfect score Wizards with it. Tough with a 13 oz. Revolver. They have been great for pocket carry, and their sights make them workable for tougher shots. I would actually like to try them on balloons at a hundred.

Jeep
09-07-2015, 08:28 AM
I'm at the point in life where I don't know that I could even see the ballon at 100 yds.

That was an amazing shot. Especially with a Ruger LCP.

This. Well, actually I could see a balloon at 100 yards--but I'd see three or four of them. I find a LCP to be difficult at 25 yards. To hit something on the 2nd shot at 100 yards is mind-boggling.

MGW
09-07-2015, 09:34 AM
We are running the same guns for our training business. HK Vp9's as primaries and S&W M&P 340's as back up's and deep cover guns. Wayne is doing pretty crazy good work with that 340 including shooting several perfect score Wizards with it. Tough with a 13 oz. Revolver. They have been great for pocket carry, and their sights make them workable for tougher shots. I would actually like to try them on balloons at a hundred.

Thanks Nyeti. My pocket book was afraid you were going to say that.

John Hearne
09-09-2015, 06:36 PM
He is likely the greatest handgun shooter of our time, and virtually unknown to most people.

So, my wife graduated from college with his daughter. I was introduced to him at graduation and calmly freaked out. "The Phillip Hemphill?" He seemed shocked that anyone knew who he was.

There are some interesting stories about his early career. Something about hanging off a helicopter with a Mini-14 and a van full of bank robbers.....

Wayne Dobbs
09-09-2015, 07:31 PM
So, my wife graduated from college with his daughter. I was introduced to him at graduation and calmly freaked out. "The Phillip Hemphill?" He seemed shocked that anyone knew who he was.

There are some interesting stories about his early career. Something about hanging off a helicopter with a Mini-14 and a van full of bank robbers.....

I wouldn't have wanted to be one of those hijackers. Hemphill is one of those dead calm, deadly accurate old school cops.

SeriousStudent
09-09-2015, 07:56 PM
Is there a book available somewhere, that I can read about the Captain's career? I am sure there are many valuable lessons to be gained.

LittleLebowski
09-09-2015, 08:54 PM
I love stuff like this.

LHS
09-10-2015, 06:33 PM
That's a hell of a shot with a little mousegun! Outstanding.

pablo
09-10-2015, 08:11 PM
I tried to this today, different ammo though, not that it mattered. Balloons I was using were in less danger at 30 yards than the one in the video was at 100 yards. 0 for 15 at 100 yards decided to quit before I fell too far behind.