PDA

View Full Version : Pat McNamara 2 day TAPS class, SEPT 10-11 Carthage NC

vmi-mo
09-14-2011, 07:24 PM
Pat McNamara 2 day TAPS class, SEPT 10-11 Carthage NC

This AAR is not going to detail the minute by minute breakdown of the class. That can be found on several other AAR’s. This will focus more on what I brought away from the class and my experience with this class.

Upfront and first off, this is my second time taking Pat’s TAPS class in Carthage. The previous time was in FEB 2011. Old points were reinforced and new points were learned. This is most definitely a course I will continue to take whenever the opportunity presents itself.

The instructor’s bio can be found on any number of websites so I will simply lay out why Pat is such an effective instructor. First is his ability to diagnose problems. He has the capability to break down students actions methodically and identify the little things that are hindering the student. He addresses the root problem and does not try the “band aide on sucking chest wound” approach. Not only does he have the ability to identify the problem he can then COACH the shooter through what needs to be done to get that shooter back on track. Another aspect of his style that makes his course very effective is his ability to adapt to the student body. This is not a cookie cutter course of fire. He will alter the course to drive a point home, demonstrate something in particular or reinforce a specific skill set. Finally is his intense/passionate/humorous style. It really is one of a kind and will constantly keep students engaged and keeps the learning going.

To any one that might take a course of his in the future, don’t pass up the opportunity to just talk with Pat. I spent lunch breaks talking with him. We talked about everything from preventing shoulder/knee injuries to PTSD to stateside family security measures. He is a wealth of information that is more than happy to share and should be taken advantage of whenever possible.

Now for the specific points I learned and took away from the class:

“Check your work through your sites”. As most have accepted the gunfight isn’t over till all the bad guys are dead, and rarely will 2rds solve the problem. You must always be ready to deliver another accurate shot onto target until the work is finished. Pat had an interesting way of dealing with people who would not follow through or come off the gun too fast. He would have them yell “I QUIT”. This being very effective and was quite the realization for a few shooters once they realized that the old “speed reholster” is really just them taking themselves out of the fight.

“Analysis=paralysis” & “Fail Fast”: These are two sayings of Pat’s that are constantly reinforced throughout the course. In the world of getting shot at, nano seconds count. Whenever you are not in the fight, your enemy is taking advantage of it. When things go inevitably wrong, the fight is not the time to analyze why it’s going kaput. You must continue to act and solve the problem. Do not get bogged down in failure, simply blast through it and continue to execute.

Typically a safety brief will be administrative in nature and be designed as a way for the range to cover its own ass and is usually filled with “rangeisms”. Pat has created his own safety brief which is tactical in nature and is filled with a lot of “hmm that makes a lot of sense” light bulb moments. He does not inject rangeisms and administrative bullshit into shooting. He keeps it relevant and real world applicable.
Shot accountability. A shooter must be accountable for every round he fires and every round must have a purpose behind it. Bullets are too expensive and heavy to waste. We must make shots count. Numerous drills shot during the course enforce this idea of shot accountability. Some drills more than others, but you cannot get away with accuracy by volume.

During this course a student had a DMG. I was talking with him afterwards saying how I could think of nothing shittier then not being able to kill someone because your gun was unloaded. Another shooter, has a saying for this, but I cannot remember it and would only butcher it. This drives home the point, “know the status of your weapon at all times”.

Another saying from a shooter in the class was “14lbs of light weight gear is still 14lbs. This just clicked with me for some reason and is going to stick with me for a long time and influence how I plan, pack and execute things.

This is all I have time for as of right now. I will continue to update and add to this once I get some more time.

agent-smith
09-14-2011, 10:15 PM
Sorry, I gotta ask - "DMG"?

fuse
09-15-2011, 12:06 AM
Dead man's gun. Chamber empty, when you thought it wasn't.

agent-smith
09-15-2011, 08:03 PM
Dead man's gun. Chamber empty, when you thought it wasn't.

Much obliged.