JDM
09-05-2015, 10:32 AM
Whoops!!

http://www.kob.com/article/stories/s3897159.shtml

LSP552
09-05-2015, 11:00 AM
Whoops!!

http://www.kob.com/article/stories/s3897159.shtml

They sure are fun to play with. LSP has (or had, not sure now) about 20 old Thompsons of various vintages kept in the armory. Every now and then, we would take a couple out for a range play day. They represented old school LSP history from way back in the day.

JDM
09-05-2015, 11:47 AM
They sure are fun to play with. LSP has (or had, not sure now) about 20 old Thompsons of various vintages kept in the armory. Every now and then, we would take a couple out for a range play day. They represented old school LSP history from way back in the day.

That is awesome!!

LSP972
09-05-2015, 12:05 PM

We'll have those things until the end of time. Remember when you got the green light from HQ-2 to completely re-vamp the SWAT program? I became a busy little bee, putting together a package to dump all the old full auto stuff we had stashed from the old days. Part of that effort was tracking down the origin of all that stuff. It was quite interesting work; we had Reisings, we had S&W 76s, we had a Bergmann MP-18, etc., etc. Those Thompsons (the M1A1s, anyway) came from the U.S. Navy port facility in Lake Charles, back in the late 40s when the government was shutting that military asset down. The 1921, the 1928 over-stamp, and the other 1928s had been purchased by the department back before WW II. They were all on the ATF books on Form 5s; good for us, because that made them transferable.

I had a deal cut with a collector in Texas, who also had a Class II dealer's license, to trade all that stuff for our MP-5s, plenty of magazines and accessory gear, and some ammunition. And then a certain hydrocephalic moron decided that trading those Thompsons "would be like John Wayne trading his horse". We got our MP-5s, but the department dropped well over $45K on that package. The Thompsons and other stuff are rusting away in the vault, because nobody is left there who gives enough of a shit to take care of them. And from a non-gun guy perspective, that attitude is understandable. They are on Form 10s now; the opportunity to turn them into modern stuff is gone forever.

Three of those M1A1s are basically cherry/unissued, and have consecutive serial numbers. I've tried to get those assigned to the lab collection, but somebody somewhere is cock-blocking that. A real damn shame; but not an issue to plant one's flag over, if you get my drift…

LSP552
09-05-2015, 09:18 PM
And then a certain hydrocephalic moron decided that trading those Thompsons "would be like John Wayne trading his horse". The Thompsons and other stuff are rusting away in the vault, because nobody is left there who gives enough of a shit to take care of them. And from a non-gun guy perspective, that attitude is understandable. They are on Form 10s now; the opportunity to turn them into modern stuff is gone forever.

Yep, I remember the John Wayne quote. Sure hate to hear they don't get exercised or cared for anymore, but, sad to say, not really surprised.

LittleLebowski
09-06-2015, 11:08 AM
Does Sean M have an alibi?

Odin Bravo One
09-06-2015, 12:52 PM
I'm not required to answer that question.

LHS
09-07-2015, 12:35 AM
How did they go from Form 5s to Form 10s?

LSP972
09-08-2015, 10:48 PM
How did they go from Form 5s to Form 10s?

That's the real interesting part; unfortunately, that turd is best left buried.

MRW
09-09-2015, 01:28 PM
Shame it happened. I visited Lincoln a few years back and thought it was great. The old courthouse was especially nice. You got to walk in the same areas as Billy the Kid and Pat Garrett. The Thompson seemed like an after thought as it wasn't directly part of the Lincoln County War. Hope this doesn't change the access too much this historical building.