PDA

View Full Version : Harvested my first habaneros today...

olstyn
09-05-2015, 08:33 AM
...and boy do those little orange suckers pack a punch! I'm really bad at taking care of plants, but apparently I did a good enough job with this one. :)

Cookie Monster
09-05-2015, 11:47 AM
Congrats, growing your own food is something amazing, however big or small you go.3851

Green tomato harvest, end of October last year.

olstyn
09-06-2015, 03:31 PM
Wow, that's a lot of tomatoes! What do you even do with that many? Sell them? Make a literal ton of pasta sauce?

It was funny to me today in the grocery store; I saw the habaneros they have for sale, and the thought that passed through my mind was "wow, those don't look anywhere near as good as mine!"

Cookie Monster
09-06-2015, 04:30 PM
You cannot find food better then from your garden. The distance it has to travel is far less. I am sure your's taste better as well.

I believe those boxes ended up as 40 pints of tomatillo salsa, 40 pints of green tomato salsa, 40 pints of pickled green tomatoes and 24 quarts of crushed green tomatoes ready to make pasta sauce. The last two boxes rotted before we could preserve them. We pulled those off the vines cleaning up the garden last October.

M2CattleCo
09-07-2015, 08:35 PM
I like growing peppers. They're easy enough that I don't kill 'em much.

My favorite ones this year were jalapenos. Let 'em sit on the plant until they're nice and red and they have a bit of a sweetness with the spiciness.