PDA

View Full Version : Using the CP as a noob.

Sadmin
08-31-2015, 04:04 PM
Greetings -

As much as it pains me to say this out loud – I purchased the clinch-pick based off what I have seen, and not what I know to be true. I believe it to be an extremely effective design for the niche that Shivworks embodies. Im concerned that I dont know how to use it well enough besides RGEI in appendix and the power of striking and raking with it. Sort of like I bought myself a tricked out AR but haven’t graduated to appreciate it. (read poser) I have long skinny hands and even with my best monkey grip, when I strike something with it, it feels like it shifts in my palm. I cant seem to get comfortable carrying centerline and accessing with my left hand since its then EO and feels loose and I dont want to limit myself to the perfect right handed grab or rely on a pass while engaged. Also, viewing some of the coursework from EWO on striking with the CP or my BOB, is it intended at distance to be used in conjunction with a jab of sorts? Obviously not the only way but again, that would be my left hand. In short, I dont know what im doing.

Im looking at another knife purchase that might lend a little to the novice until I can attend some proper EWO type class and develop some sort of training routine. I look to place the lionshare of time and resources to pistol, knife, hand2hand training as it’s the most appropriate for my paradigm. The Reverse handle looks well suited for me but I hear the sheath is no Bueno and that should be a primary focus. Looking at some of the Watson options, the Pikal and Archangel both look good and are always recommended but again, maybe im just buying out of my league.

What out of the box knife / sheath lends well to a low trained person in this area who mostly ONLY carries a knife, so its not intended as a contact breaker or distance controller, but as a primary? Draws well for either hand?

1slow
08-31-2015, 05:04 PM
It can be fairly simple.
RGEI (reverse grip edge in) hit with a hammerfist then rip back like you are doing rows.
FGEI(forward grip edge in/up) hit with the thumb side of the fist and rip up.
Total protection interactive has info on this.
Generally CP is carried such that it is drawn RGEI with 1 hand and FGUI with the other hand.
I have big bony hands and RGEI feels more secure but both grips work. You can always tape the narrow part of the handle.

Totem Polar
08-31-2015, 06:51 PM
What out of the box knife / sheath lends well to a low trained person in this area who mostly ONLY carries a knife, so its not intended as a contact breaker or distance controller, but as a primary? Draws well for either hand?

There are several somebodies, and one serious somebody, who are better qualified to comment here on this, but I'll chime in and say the CP seems to be a pretty good option for the above situation. I've trained some FMA locally, and done a number of seminars with names that everyone here would recognize, but I am still no expert. I see the appeal of the CP methodology for a guy like myself, enough so that I have a BT custom CP, bought after my china pick purchase (that I kept as a spare). OMMV.

Dropkick
08-31-2015, 08:10 PM
Shivwork's Edged Weapons Overview (EWO) is more than just a "how to use a CP" class.
EWO covers: Managing Unknown Contacts (MUC), unattached knife fighting (read: striking), attached knife fighting (read: clinch), In Fight Weapons Access (IFWA), along with other related topics.
Craig has done a great job of boiling down many knife fighting styles, and made it "monkey with a screwdriver" simple.