PDA

View Full Version : 642 vs bodyguard .38

Ga Shooter
09-13-2011, 03:14 PM
I am looking to get a J Frame and I have narrowed my selection down to either a 642 or the Bodyguard .38. does anyone have experience with both? Can you let me know the pros and cons of each. I am just not sure about the polymer frame of the bodyguard and the laser switch seems to be in the wrong place for me but maybe training can overcome that issue.

TGS
09-13-2011, 08:08 PM
The new polymer Bodyguard 38 isn't actually a J-frame, IIRC.

I had a 642-1. Too painful to practice with regularly......my hand would sting, shake and go numb from it, however with a good strong grip you can still control the recoil. I shot an LCR side by side, and I would whole-heartedly recommend an LCR over the 642 based on it's better trigger and the fact it doesn't hurt to shoot. I haven't any experience with the BG .38 to offer, however.

I had my 642-1 for about 8 months...FWIW, I sold it and bought a Kahr P380 and am much happier, though I also would have been much happier with an LCR.

Ga Shooter
09-14-2011, 10:47 AM
It was my understanding that the LCR was plagued with problems, but maybe that was just when they first came out.

TGS
09-14-2011, 12:25 PM
It was my understanding that the LCR was plagued with problems, but maybe that was just when they first came out.

I haven't heard of that. I'm not even aware of any teething issues........are you sure you're not thinking of the LCP?

Ga Shooter
09-14-2011, 02:52 PM
IIRC (which I may not) they had some frame issues cracking, or melting or something like that. It was a long time ago and they may have fixed the problem I just don't really follow Ruger.

TGS
09-14-2011, 05:43 PM
IIRC (which I may not) they had some frame issues cracking, or melting or something like that. It was a long time ago and they may have fixed the problem I just don't really follow Ruger.

Flame-cutting, possibly? It wasn't widespread, as if every LCR was flame-cutting the top-strap. If you're genuinely not interested in the LCR, I get that. I just want to make sure you don't prematurely cancel out an excellent option based on misinformation.

There's a few other people with more experience in revolvers than I on this forum. Hopefully they'll be around to give you some opinions as well.

Ga Shooter
09-15-2011, 08:18 AM
Flame-cutting, possibly? It wasn't widespread, as if every LCR was flame-cutting the top-strap. If you're genuinely not interested in the LCR, I get that. I just want to make sure you don't prematurely cancel out an excellent option based on misinformation.

There's a few other people with more experience in revolvers than I on this forum. Hopefully they'll be around to give you some opinions as well.

It's not that I am just not interested I just don't know a single person with one and really quit following them after teh flame cutting thing. I am open to any reliable quality small frame revolver. I have not bought a revolver since the early 1990s so I was hoping for a lot of feedback from those who shoot them regularly. I do appreciate your input and googled the LCR problems and did notice that it was the flame cuttng that I remembered. I also saw that there has been no reports of that (that I could find) for several years so I think that problem has gone away. I will try to get by a store and look at one.

turbolag23
09-15-2011, 08:51 AM
i have not yet seen the new bodyguard .38 but i have shot both the 4/642 and LCR. I liked the trigger on the LCR a lot and the gun felt good, however the owner did have some issues with the cylinder and ended up selling it for a 642. That was a couple years ago and I havent heard as many issues with the LCR lately. I currently own a 442 with CT grips and it makes for a great pocket gun. i plan on getting the apex trigger kit for it soon to improve the trigger.

TNWNGR
09-15-2011, 02:15 PM
The new S&W Bodyguard 38 Special revolver is a bit of an odd duck to my tastes. It is larger than the S&W J frames and has an entirely different manual of arms for opening the cylinder with the cylinder release being on top instead of the side of the frame. It does feel comfortable in the hand and the sights are more visible or easier to use than the J frames. Other points of interest are it’s a tad bit too large for pocket carry but it is rated for +p ammunition.

Tamara
09-17-2011, 01:45 PM
It's not that I am just not interested I just don't know a single person with one and really quit following them after teh flame cutting thing. I am open to any reliable quality small frame revolver. I have not bought a revolver since the early 1990s so I was hoping for a lot of feedback from those who shoot them regularly. I do appreciate your input and googled the LCR problems and did notice that it was the flame cuttng that I remembered. I also saw that there has been no reports of that (that I could find) for several years so I think that problem has gone away. I will try to get by a store and look at one.
If you cut me, I bleed blue & white, so it's like chewing on a cat turd for me to have to say this, but I think the LCR is a much better resolver than the new Bodyguard (which does not impress me at all.)

Although it sounds like damning with faint praise, the LCR has the best out-of-the-box DA trigger I've felt on a Ruger. Since I'm pretty much all stocked up on J-frames, I wouldn't buy an LCR myself, but I sure wouldn't discourage anyone else from doing so.

(Regarding all the CCW-able guns and Evil Black Rifles coming out from Ruger:
Did you know that Ruger has the only totally-green, carbon-free gun factory?
They wrapped ol' Bill's corpse in copper wire and put it between a couple of magnets...)

David Armstrong
09-17-2011, 05:29 PM
I've used them both and seen a few of each come through my CCW classes. The 642 is what I carry. The Bodyguard was OK but I liked the feel of the metal J-frame better all around. That may be a matter of familiarity, though, as I've carried J-frames of various types for a long time.

Ga Shooter
09-19-2011, 10:26 AM
If you cut me, I bleed blue & white, so it's like chewing on a cat turd for me to have to say this, but I think the LCR is a much better resolver than the new Bodyguard (which does not impress me at all.)

Although it sounds like damning with faint praise, the LCR has the best out-of-the-box DA trigger I've felt on a Ruger. Since I'm pretty much all stocked up on J-frames, I wouldn't buy an LCR myself, but I sure wouldn't discourage anyone else from doing so.

(Regarding all the CCW-able guns and Evil Black Rifles coming out from Ruger:
Did you know that Ruger has the only totally-green, carbon-free gun factory?
They wrapped ol' Bill's corpse in copper wire and put it between a couple of magnets...)

I always love your posts. They just make me smile.:)

I am going to a store/range this coming weekend and will try out an LCR(if they have one), but at this point I am really leaning strong toward the 642. I do not own any J frames and it seems almost un-American not to have at least one. If the LCR blows my doors off then I will change my mind. I will let ya'll know what I choose.

Thanks to everybody for the help.

Senor Esteban
12-24-2011, 12:03 AM
I have one of the new Bodyguards, and I really like it. Light weight, recoil seems mild compared to some J-frames I have shot, accuracy is good, and the trigger is good enough to use right out of the box. Compared the LCR side-by-side with the Smith, and my wife liked the Smith better. Mine has the laser, and I must say it makes getting longer range hits a lot easier. However, I see the laser as more of a toy and primarily shoot the revolver using the irons. Neat gun.

Sparks2112
12-24-2011, 07:31 AM
I've seen a lot of bodyguards go back to the factory with issues... On a side note I've yet to seen an LCR with a problem and enjoy shooting them way more than any j frame. And this is coming from a Smith and Wesson fanboy.

Tamara
12-24-2011, 08:50 AM
My two biggest gripes with S&W's Bodyguard:

The "ambidextrous cylinder release", which is "ambidextrous" only in the sense that it's just as awkward and fumble-prone with either hand. Plus, the amount of wiggle and play in it just doesn't fill me with confidence. The latch may not actually BE flimsy or fragile, but it sure FEELS that way.
The only way they could put that laser activation button in a less-accessible place is if they put it in a locked box two rooms away from your gun. The switch needs to be activated by gripping the firearm, so as to avoid the whole "Hang on, Mr. Bad Guy! Time out to turn on my laser!" thing.

Ga Shooter
12-24-2011, 09:32 AM
FWIW (not much I know) I went with a LCR with the laser grip. I was really leaning toward and looking for a no lock 642 but stumbled on a LCR that already had the laser grips at a price I could not walk away from. I have only put about 50 rounds through it the day I got it and I love the trigger. The laser had not been set yet so no real feel for it other than it is fun to play with ;).

SmokeJumper
12-24-2011, 12:55 PM
I have a couple j-frames and they have been great BUG guns. One of them is carried almost daily as my BUG and is used at the range as well for qualifications and training/practice. You can not go wrong with the j-frames. Recoil is a bit of a pain after extended shooting and some get the right thumb cut a bit from the cylinder release after extended shooting as well. I just wear a glove on the right hand for extended shooting to prevent my thumb from getting bugered up or tape it up. I've shot and handled the LCR's and a few coworkers are now packing them as BUGs, so shoot one before you make your final decision. I think that the LCR is a very viable option and flame cutting shouldn't be an issue unless you're running hot handloads through one. As for the S&W Bodyguard, I've not shot one, but I've handled them and to me they just seem cheap in construction, kind of reminded me of the old plastic cap pistols I had as a kid. But, again, I did not shoot one and I prefer the j-frames cause I got 'em and shoot 'em already.

Senor Esteban
12-24-2011, 04:18 PM
Interestingly enough, one reason I did not purchase the LCR is because I though the laser was too easily accessible. I, for one, do not want the thing to turn on as soon as I grab it. If that is the first gun I grab off the nightstand at the sound of a possible goblin in the house, I don't want it lighting up and maybe evidencing where I am. For me, the laser is kind of a novelty that I can probably put to use under certain circumstances.
On the other hand, I can pretty much assure you that it won't be the first gun I grab off the nightstand..

Tamara
12-25-2011, 06:59 AM
For me, the laser is kind of a novelty that I can probably put to use under certain circumstances.

I'll just beg to differ (http://pistol-forum.com/showthread.php?2547-The-laser). :p

TNWNGR
12-26-2011, 03:11 PM
Ending an original comparative search between a 642 & BG with an LCR is interesting, more and more LCR’s are entering the CCW populace. Reading the comments on Laser sights was curious but Tamara shows an objective view I find acceptable. My limited experience with Laser sights is the one installed in my issued taser. Policy hinders any other use of laser sights so I’ll hold off on trying one until I’ve retired. I have misgivings about laser sights but do see the utility of them so I’ll continue to observe.

dom1104
12-28-2011, 09:20 AM
I owned a bodygaurd .38 for a while.

It was an EXCEEDINGLY easy firearm to shoot, probably twice as easy to shoot quickly as a aluminum J-frame like a 642. The grip is very nice, and cushions the recoil well. The trigger is very easy to stage.

The laser was crap, and the location of it is stupid. No way I am compromising the grip of my firearm to activate it. You can activate it with the other hand, but I dont shoot backup revolvers two handed. AND.. it goes from "off" to "On" to "Flashing". No idea what the "Flashing" is supposed to accomplish....

HOWEVER.

A huge bonus of not having a cyl release on the side of the gun, is that between the fact that the thumb catch isnt there, and the slimness of the grip, it was an exceedingly easy revolver to reload with a speedloader.

Also, having your thumb on the top of the gun, gets it out of the way of the speedloader.

I could reload that gun very, very quickly.

The front sight is easily replaceable, and the overall finish was durable.

However, it was shoddily made. The little plastic pin that holds the front of the trigger gaurd to the frame worked out, Tam is correct the release is .. wobbly and crappy feeling, and the laser is a gimmick.

I ended up selling it, I have little use for a J frame. I currently carry a 4 inch N frame 45 ACP moonclip gun when I CCW a revolver. Conceals just as well, and pocket carry.. for me.. is bogus with any gun.

Hope that helps.

FotoTomas
01-04-2012, 11:43 PM
I am coming in late and with half a load but here goes...

I am a J frame fan and have owned many with two currently in residence. A Model 36 and a Model 638. I have owned the 642 in several versions and liked it a lot but the old style Bodyguard model 38 or 638 are where my passion lies. The LCR and the "New" Bodyguard do not rock my boat. In fact the "New" Bodyguard is in my eyes an abomination on par with the introduction of the "Lock". It is such a major departure from the classic lines and feel of the J frame that I simply will not buy one period.

I hated the feel or administrative handling. The cylinder release was designed by a monkey for monkeys. The trigger was smooth and sweet but the recoil felt weird. I am a luddite and often use my old fart discounts so I believe I am simply being curmudgeonly. Even so the "New" bodyguard is NOT on my list.

I did pick up another Detective Special last week and have my eye on another J frame. Of the two you mention the 642 gets my vote but I hope you are happy with the new LCR.