PDA

View Full Version : DC police vote No-Confidence in Chief Cathy Lanier

LittleLebowski
08-31-2015, 08:16 AM
I do not know much about these sort of things and what they can actually effect.

http://wamu.org/news/15/08/31/dc_police_officers_vote_no_confidence_on_lanier

D.C. police officers voted no-confidence in Police Chief Cathy Lanier over the weekend, expressing frustration over her eight-year tenure and recent moves she has taken to stem the increase in crime across the city.

According to the D.C. police union, which represents 3,600 rank-and-file officers and called the vote, 97.5 percent of the officers who cast ballots said they had no confidence in Lanier's leadership. Only 1,150 officers voted.

This is the second such vote cast by union members against the leader of a public safety agency in D.C. over the last three years. In March 2013, D.C. firefighters voted no-confidence in then-chief Kenneth Ellerbe.
A number of grievances presented

Speaking on Monday morning, Delroy Burton, the head of the union, said the vote reflected pent-up frustration with Lanier's leadership, primarily as crime has ticked up. Relations between Lanier and the union further soured in June when she disbanded citywide vice units. The union has argued that the vice units were effective in combatting crime, but Lanier has said they had become less useful as criminals took on new tactics.

"The chief has been dishonest with the public about what's going on inside the police department. We believe she's been dishonest for quite some time," said Burton, announcing the results this morning on Fox 5. "The men and women in the union no longer have confidence in her leadership because we don't trust her to tell the truth to the public about what's going on."

In a press release announcing the results, the union listed a bevy of grievances with Lanier: "Failure to negotiate contracts in good faith, no cost of living increases, unreasonable scheduling disruptions, cancelled and banned vacation time, bad faith bargaining, heavy handed and capricious discipline, [and] disingenuous reporting of statistics and data."

The vote took place as police flooded city streets during an "All Hands on Deck" weekend, an initiative started by Lanier and fought by the union. On Friday, Lanier hinted that the vote was timed to coincide with the initiative — which she said is popular with residents — because the union wanted to draw in votes from officers who don't regularly work on weekends.

Despite the increase in manpower, two more people were killed in D.C. over the weekend, bringing the year's homicide tally to 105 — the same as for all of 2014. But according to MPD spokeswoman Gwendolyn Crump, police did recover 21 illegal guns and made 16 arrests for possession of those illegal guns over the weekend.

Lanier also said that not all officers shared the union's opinions on her leadership. "I don't think the union speaks for every police officer," she said, speaking on WAMU 88.5's The Politics Hour She also put forth another reason for the vote: "There's no secret that we're coming up on election time for the union," she said.

TGS
08-31-2015, 08:20 AM
The MPD guys I knew pretty much regarded her as dog shit. Even during the academy. They all went into it knowing she is a scum bag, but just trying to keep their heads down and be good cops. Within 4-5 years most of their attitudes soured and they either switched departments or left LE altogether. What else can you do when your fellow officers are gang members and have thug brawls in the middle of traffic on a street. As recorded on youtube...not kidding.

FFS, she has a criminal record.

voodoo_man
08-31-2015, 08:27 AM
All a no-confidence vote does is give the mayor/council/media ammunition to attack that position. She does not have to leave, she has to be forced to leave.

We had a no-confidence vote a few years ago in reference to a commander and he stayed in that position for 3 more years, then got promoted. No one has to do anything. Only way to get her out is to get her charged, air her dirty laundry or wait until the next mayor comes in and replaces her.

TCinVA
08-31-2015, 09:26 AM
In many cities having a female police chief is vastly more important than having a competent police chief.

KeeFus
08-31-2015, 09:34 AM
In many cities having a female police chief is vastly more important than having a competent police chief.

^^^ QFT!!!

RoyGBiv
08-31-2015, 09:51 AM
97.5% seems like an unusually high number, even considering the political/union winds surely goosing the result.

voodoo_man
08-31-2015, 10:46 AM
In many cities having a political puppet is vastly more important than having a competent police chief.

ftfy...

KevinB
08-31-2015, 11:45 AM
What else can you do when your fellow officers are gang members and have thug brawls in the middle of traffic on a street. As recorded on youtube...not kidding.

FFS, she has a criminal record.

Or seen on CCTV dealing drugs, weapons etc...
Some in pretty senior positions

The few guys I know there are trying hard to get out.

TGS
08-31-2015, 11:58 AM
Or seen on CCTV dealing drugs, weapons etc...
Some in pretty senior positions

The few guys I know there are trying hard to get out.

Prince William County Police used to hire a lot of MPD guys. No longer I guess?

I thought some major PDs around the country used to accept MPD and NYPD as laterals, too. I don't know...maybe that ended.

Coyotesfan97
08-31-2015, 01:37 PM
I think the no confidence vote only works when the city government is looking to change the Chief. If the city's happy with her she isn't going anywhere.

Laterals can be a double edged sword. You might be getting a competent hard worker or you might be getting someone else's problem.

LSP552
08-31-2015, 05:18 PM
In 30 years, I can count the number of Superintendents I had confidence in, or respected, on the fingers of one hand with fingers left over. Bottom line, the chief administrator in most places are politicians 1st. Some are better than others, but they were appointed for a reason. Rarely are those reasons leadership and competence.

Hatchetman
08-31-2015, 07:59 PM
Not that it means all that much, but news reports tonight stated only 30+ percent of the rank and file voted, which likely means 65+ percent know it's a futile gesture.

The thing I find most galling is that the chief and the mayor are rolling out evil gun dog and pony shows, which the media dutifully and uncritically report. Of course the rising murder rate is confined to the east side of the Potomac; for some odd reason guns aplenty, CHP awash Virginia isn't contending with a similar spike. The studied ignorance required to miss the magic properties the Potomac seemingly confers while sundry "activists" demand that more of what's already failed be applied to current circumstances inspires a king sized case of cognitive dissonance on my end.

BigDaddy
09-10-2015, 09:46 AM
Criminal record? For what?

cclaxton
09-10-2015, 10:03 AM
I train with a DC cop at Krav.
One said, "Every cop seems to hate their police chief, no matter who they are." But went on to say that Lanier is great with the politicians in DC and that is why she is there. The no confidence vote is deserved based on the decisions that have made things worse, and thus street cops jobs are more difficult.
Cody

Chuck Haggard
09-10-2015, 10:47 AM
Not every cop hates the Chief they have, I've worked for a few that were pretty decent folks, others that weren't, a couple that should have gone to jail.

A real issues I have with some of this stuff, especially on the east coast, are in fact at the street level and with the unions though, when I was last in DC I had a dude on his face in cuffs after he battered a federal court judge right in front of me, and NYPD guy jumped in to help, MPDC dispatch argued with me that I wasn't where the street sign said I was because they couldn't find it in their system, they hung up on me at one point, then after I flagged down an MPDC marked unit/uniformed officer, he told us "I work crime scene", he then drove off and left us.

From what I have seen so far the cops there are correct to have zero confidence in this Chief, but bitching about having to work weekends is weak sauce.

Dagga Boy
09-10-2015, 12:43 PM
I concur with Chuck. I have worked for everything from "follow to the gates of hell" to "wouldn't piss on them if they were on fire". In general I was around long enough to watch how many Chief's changed from "cops" (some great, and some terrible, most average at best) to politicians as they climbed the ranks. Also, Lanier climbed rapidly in the ranks. In the time it took her to make Captain, she would have been barely able to make sergeant at my old place. I doubt she has much understanding of actual "police work" on a practical level.

voodoo_man
09-10-2015, 01:29 PM
Not every cop hates the Chief they have, I've worked for a few that were pretty decent folks, others that weren't, a couple that should have gone to jail.

A real issues I have with some of this stuff, especially on the east coast, are in fact at the street level and with the unions though, when I was last in DC I had a dude on his face in cuffs after he battered a federal court judge right in front of me, and NYPD guy jumped in to help, MPDC dispatch argued with me that I wasn't where the street sign said I was because they couldn't find it in their system, they hung up on me at one point, then after I flagged down an MPDC marked unit/uniformed officer, he told us "I work crime scene", he then drove off and left us.

From what I have seen so far the cops there are correct to have zero confidence in this Chief, but bitching about having to work weekends is weak sauce.

That is pathetic and unacceptable.

Ive long said that a PD run like a company will be full of people who shouldnt be on the job.

PDs are either run like a military unit or their own custom mix of leadership styles that work towards the overall goal.

My PD allows for those who are completely unqualified to gain rank by taking a test, then they fill quotas of ethnicity, race, religion, etc. Pathetic and completely against the overall goal. Our units are filled with "never was" officers who dont know how to do basic police work, its sad and one of the main reasons I am looking to get out to another PD or federal.

TGS
09-10-2015, 02:13 PM
That is pathetic and unacceptable.

Ive long said that a PD run like a company will be full of people who shouldnt be on the job.

PDs are either run like a military unit or their own custom mix of leadership styles that work towards the overall goal.

My PD allows for those who are completely unqualified to gain rank by taking a test, then they fill quotas of ethnicity, race, religion, etc. Pathetic and completely against the overall goal. Our units are filled with "never was" officers who dont know how to do basic police work, its sad and one of the main reasons I am looking to get out to another PD or federal.

FWIW, a lot of the federal police around DC are hiring right now. USCP, USSS-UD, PFPA. Force Protection oriented work, but they're the better paid 0083 positions and will atleast get you started in the federal retirement system.

TGS
09-10-2015, 02:16 PM
Criminal record? For what?

It used to be on Wikipedia but she seems to be doing damage control in that regard. Don't quote me, but I think I remember it being drug related. It's been a while since I was hanging out with metro guys.

Dagga Boy
09-10-2015, 02:31 PM
It used to be on Wikipedia but she seems to be doing damage control in that regard. Don't quote me, but I think I remember it being drug related. It's been a while since I was hanging out with metro guys.

Sheriff of San Francisco did the same thing. Got a DV conviction and magically made it go away. The amount of police executives with these issues is frightening. Usually, the same folks who don't think you need a CCW are the same who have worse criminal issues than those applying.

While I was against the Kentucky clerk who would not issue marriage licenses to homosexual partners, the second she landed in jail, Cathy Lanier should have been arrested as well for refusal to issue CHL's as well as the Sheriff's and Chief LEO's of every sanctuary city.

Coyotesfan97
09-10-2015, 02:34 PM
Ñ
I concur with Chuck. I have worked for everything from "follow to the gates of hell" to "wouldn't piss on them if they were on fire". In general I was around long enough to watch how many Chief's changed from "cops" (some great, and some terrible, most average at best) to politicians as they climbed the ranks. Also, Lanier climbed rapidly in the ranks. In the time it took her to make Captain, she would have been barely able to make sergeant at my old place. I doubt she has much understanding of actual "police work" on a practical level.

Man +1 it's funny starting in the job and not really knowing how mediocre to incompetent gets promoted and the you get to see how it works as you gain seniority.

I've worked under 6 Chiefs or so not counting temporary ones. I agree with Nyeti's ranking scale. There's been two that were great, several mediocre ones, and a couple bad ones including one that was pretty evil.

We have one Assistant Chief that went from Sergeant to A/C in a little over three years. Typical golden child. IMHO most people who promote higher than Sergeant don't like street work. When you promote to LT with the exception of patrol Lts it's all admin. It's a rare exception when you have a Commander who was a great street guy and still remembers What it was like.

Chuck Haggard
09-10-2015, 02:49 PM
I was chastised, several times, for doing actual police work while I was the 3rd shift and 2nd shift watch commander, eventually got moved to day shift at the end and basically told to shut up and color.

Same Chief took a couple of other dudes under his wing and they went from SGT to LT to Capt to Maj in under three years, even though under the regs they were not available for promotion from LT to Capt until they had at least 2 years as an LT, and Capt to Maj at least 3 years.

People want to know how corruption happens, that's exactly how it happens.

Coyotesfan97
09-10-2015, 03:00 PM
I was chastised, several times, for doing actual police work while I was the 3rd shift and 2nd shift watch commander, eventually got moved to day shift at the end and basically told to shut up and color.

Same Chief took a couple of other dudes under his wing and they went from SGT to LT to Capt to Maj in under three years, even though under the regs they were not available for promotion from LT to Capt until they had at least 2 years as an LT, and Capt to Maj at least 3 years.

It's amazing to me how quickly our LTs are moved off the road. I've worked my current shift 1900-0400 for 10+ years. It's amazing how quickly they go from graves to swings to admin.

It's a rare exception like Chuck when you see one who gets into stuff. I liked to follow them around because you could get into some good action! I recall two who were great to shadow. One was really heads up and the other was a shit magnet. They got me into some really good dog work. Both were good men too.

Hambo
09-10-2015, 04:37 PM

A friend of mine got boned like that. By contract they couldn't force him onto dayshift patrol, so they looked around for a day shift staff job and stuck him there. If the brass wants to fuck you, they will always find a way.

voodoo_man
09-10-2015, 05:04 PM
FWIW, a lot of the federal police around DC are hiring right now. USCP, USSS-UD, PFPA. Force Protection oriented work, but they're the better paid 0083 positions and will atleast get you started in the federal retirement system.

Unfortunately I'm not moving....

voodoo_man
09-10-2015, 05:06 PM

I've been in that boat, 0330 and I'm chasing stolen cars and not a single person answers to as backup.

The fact that people get promoted into positions they are vastly underqualified for is an abortion to the rank.

TGS
09-10-2015, 05:22 PM
Unfortunately I'm not moving....

Good luck with most federal gigs unless you're hoping for the US Mint Police. Many are going to require a relocation availability clause even if they do have work in your area, and the weird one-off OIG jobs that won't are usually only hiring people with 1811 work history and a CITP cert.

FWIW, if you do ever decide to relocate, getting posted in St Croix with Customs is a relatively easy prospect according to the guys I talked to when I was down there. :cool:

Any solid plans for going elsewhere?

voodoo_man
09-10-2015, 05:36 PM
Good luck with most federal gigs unless you're hoping for the US Mint Police. Many are going to require a relocation availability clause even if they do have work in your area, and the weird one-off OIG jobs that won't are usually only hiring people with 1811 work history and a CITP cert.

FWIW, if you do ever decide to relocate, getting posted in St Croix with Customs is a relatively easy prospect according to the guys I talked to when I was down there. :cool:

Any solid plans for going elsewhere?

I do not want to move. I like the area and have enough reasons to stay, I am however, open to the possibility if I get the job I want, with that the FBI and US Marshalls are the only two fed dept's I'm willing to relocate for and even with them it will have to be somewhere awesome (like FL or something of that nature).

Otherwise, there are plenty of county PD's that pay 2x what my PD pays base and offers 1000x the training and opportunity to do what I want to do on a daily basis.

LSP552
09-10-2015, 06:26 PM
While I was against the Kentucky clerk who would not issue marriage licenses to homosexual partners, the second she landed in jail, Cathy Lanier should have been arrested as well for refusal to issue CHL's as well as the Sheriff's and Chief LEO's of every sanctuary city.

Funny (not) how that only works one way.