PDA

View Full Version : Scope Level

nycnoob
08-28-2015, 12:01 PM
I just bought my first scope, Do most people here run a level on there scope?
I saw elsewhere that SLG uses the Accuracy 1st DG level, is that the most popular?

HCM
08-28-2015, 01:49 PM
I saw elsewhere that SLG uses the Accuracy 1st DG level, is that the most popular?

What type of scope / rifle? Levels are generally only useful on long range set ups.

Gray222
08-28-2015, 04:59 PM
I use the arisaka defense scope level. Pretty simple.

HCM
08-28-2015, 05:17 PM
I use the arisaka defense scope level. Pretty simple.

I believe the OP is talking about a bubble type level to avoid canting the rifle while shooting rather then a means to ensure the reticle is level during scope mounting.

http://www.laruetactical.com/scope-level-accuracy-1st-dg

The Arisaka is pretty slick for it's purpose though.

Gray222
08-28-2015, 05:17 PM
I believe the OPD is talking about a bubble type level to avoid canting the rifle while shooting rather then a means to ensure the reticle is level during scope mounting.

http://www.laruetactical.com/scope-level-accuracy-1st-dg

Ah. Sorry.

Uso level is nice.

dbateman
09-07-2015, 02:23 AM
Ah. Sorry.

Uso level is nice.

Yeah the one inside the scope.

dbateman
09-07-2015, 02:30 AM

I don't own any external scope levels. 90% of people I shoot with don't use them.

How far are you looking to shoot ?

nycnoob
09-07-2015, 05:55 AM
I am a member of two gun ranges, but neither has more than 150 yards.

My concern was not so much for getting the rifle absolutely level but more about practicing field positions and noticing when the gun was canted at 45 deg because I had poor posture.

SLG
09-07-2015, 07:33 AM
nycnoob,

I wouldn't worry about it for that application. Better to focus on the shooting stuff, rather than the level. I only use mine on guns that will be shot past 800 yards or so.

dbateman
09-07-2015, 07:51 AM
You will see 45°. I wouldn't say don't get one if you're having trouble canting your rifle.

99.635% of my learning positions was done in my lounge room, quite a few straight surface to reference and make sure I am straight.

You say the ranges are nothing more than 150yds, don't be to concerned about that you can learn quite a lot on a 150yd range as long as you're free to do so.
What scope and rifle are you using anyways ?

nycnoob
09-07-2015, 10:19 AM
For positional shooting I have mostly done AppleSeed up to this point (10/22 at 25 yards).

I took the PF Rifle course this spring with Sean and Failure2Stop. One thing I did notice was how
different a target looks at 100 yards as apposed to a scaled target at 25 yards. I must have told
Jack three times "I can't see the target", and Jack replied "What do you mean?" actually what did
I mean? I could see it fine.

Jack did mention that he liked 1-6X scopes since they could be used similar to RedDots and also
magnify for verification. So I jumped on the Natches sale of the one he liked, it looks to me like
this model has been discontinued:

Bushnell Elite Tactical Rifle Scope - 1-6.5x24mm Illum.
BTR-1 Reticle 105.8-16.3' FOV 3.75" Eye Relief Matte

http://www.natchezss.com/bushnell-elite-tactical-rifle-scope-1-6-5x24mm-1-10-mil-adjustments-second-focal-illuminated-btr-1-sfp-reticle-matte.html?src=ppj&utm_source=pj&utm_medium=affiliate&utm_campaign=21181

I was thinking of getting a Tikka T3 Compact in 308 to mount it on.

Every six months or so I read Jeff Coopers "The Art of the Rifle" because I enjoy his writing style.

I just picked up Peter Lessler "GunDigest Shooter's guide to Rifle Marksmanship" and it has far more information,
but he ain't no Jeff Cooper so some of the amusement value is less but the instructions are far better.

nycnoob
09-07-2015, 10:59 AM
I also found this BDC Scope which has a reticle similar to the Bushnell but for 22LR.
This one looks like tons of fun (though I would not have any use for the ranging part)
And early ads for this scope indicated they were thinking of an illuminated model as well,
though currently they say one is not in the works.

Just noticed now, its a 6X scope, so I assume that means that it does not have adjustable magnification.

Primary Arms 6X Scope with the Patented ACSS 22LR Reticle
Our Price: $119.99

https://www.primaryarms.com/Primary_Arms_6X_Scope_with_ACSS_22LR_Reticle_p/pa6x32-22lr.htm

HCM
09-07-2015, 11:21 AM
For positional shooting I have mostly done AppleSeed up to this point (10/22 at 25 yards).

I took the PF Rifle course this spring with Sean and Failure2Stop. One thing I did notice was how
different a target looks at 100 yards as apposed to a scaled target at 25 yards. I must have told
Jack three times "I can't see the target", and Jack replied "What do you mean?" actually what did
I mean? I could see it fine.

Jack did mention that he liked 1-6X scopes since they could be used similar to RedDots and also
magnify for verification. So I jumped on the Natches sale of the one he liked, it looks to me like
this model has been discontinued:

Bushnell Elite Tactical Rifle Scope - 1-6.5x24mm Illum.
BTR-1 Reticle 105.8-16.3' FOV 3.75" Eye Relief Matte

http://www.natchezss.com/bushnell-elite-tactical-rifle-scope-1-6-5x24mm-1-10-mil-adjustments-second-focal-illuminated-btr-1-sfp-reticle-matte.html?src=ppj&utm_source=pj&utm_medium=affiliate&utm_campaign=21181

I was thinking of getting a Tikka T3 Compact in 308 to mount it on.

Every six months or so I read Jeff Coopers "The Art of the Rifle" because I enjoy his writing style.

I just picked up Peter Lessler "GunDigest Shooter's guide to Rifle Marksmanship" and it has far more information,
but he ain't no Jeff Cooper so some of the amusement value is less but the instructions are far better.

The Tikka is a good rifle. Did you get the first focal plane or second focal plane version of the scope? Easy way to tell - does the size of the reticle change when you change magnification or stay the same ?

nycnoob
09-07-2015, 11:51 AM
Did you get the first focal plane or second focal plane version of the scope?

I got the Second Focal plane as Jack Recommended.
Its just in a box in my bedroom now.

Does anyone have an approximate battery life for the scope?
Is it like an aimpoint, leave it on and change the batteries once a year?
or more like an Ipod, charge it up after you use it?

HCM
09-07-2015, 12:04 PM
I got the Second Focal plane as Jack Recommended.
Its just in a box in my bedroom now.

Does anyone have an approximate battery life for the scope?
Is it like an aimpoint, leave it on and change the batteries once a year?
or more like an Ipod, charge it up after you use it?

Definitely not like an Aimpoint. There was a review of this scope on M4C - the battery lasted about 3 weeks on med power when left on continuously. It is a turn on as needed proposition.

dbateman
09-08-2015, 05:27 PM
There is a lot to be learned with a good 22 at 50-100yds.

The Tikka T3 seem like a pretty good rifle, a few guys around here have them they seem happy enough with them.

I'm not really a BDC ret type of guy, so I can't offer you much useful advice in that area.

Luke
09-08-2015, 09:21 PM
Can't go wrong with a TIKKA. They need nothing out of the box except glass! They do have some thin factory stocks though, was still free float all the way to the receiver, but it you out a lot of weight on the bipod it would touch.

This is the CTR in .308

http://i400.photobucket.com/albums/pp81/hook_setter/Mobile%20Uploads/E52B3A9C-65AB-43AB-A5A8-F68F18E6972E_zpseyvapfnl.jpg (http://s400.photobucket.com/user/hook_setter/media/Mobile%20Uploads/E52B3A9C-65AB-43AB-A5A8-F68F18E6972E_zpseyvapfnl.jpg.html)

nycnoob
09-09-2015, 09:04 AM
Can't go wrong with a TIKKA. They need nothing out of the box except glass! They do have some thin factory stocks though, was still free float all the way to the receiver, but it you out a lot of weight on the bipod it would touch.

This is the CTR in .308

I would like to get the CTR but with the threaded barrel and 10rnd Magazines I just can not do it living in NYC.

I am going to get the T3 Compact instead. Does anyone have opinions on this rifle vs say, the lite-stainless or something else?
Compact has a 510mm (20.08inches) barrel and 1000mm (39.37inches)overall length
lite-stainless has a 570mm (22.44inches) barrel and 1080mm (42.52inches) overall length
Does any of this matter?

All this talk about precision rifle just encouraged me to sign up for this class

http://www.neshooters.com/styled-51/styled-2/styled-71/index.html

Class Description: Precision Rifle Employment Course
Instructor: Steve Reichert
Business: SRT
Dates: 2015 Oct 23 and 24-25

Class Price: $618.00 (including credit card fee)

It will be held at Pelham Fish & Game Club, Pelham, NH using their new 600 yard range.

nycnoob
09-09-2015, 09:14 AM
Do you have recommendations for these, from the class equipment list?

Spotting Scope
Bipod or Small Rest
Tripod or Shooting Sticks
Data Book

Probably will not be doing much shooting at grater than 300M but maybe I will get out to this NH range once a year or so,
so it would be nice if my equipment was capable of 600M shooting.

I doubt I will ever get to an 800M range. I live on the east coast. So no need to the extreme distance stuff, like a scope level!

Any help with the equipment would be appreciated. I do not know about spotting scopes, bipods, data-book etc.