PDA

View Full Version : Sight alignment tool?

Thrill
09-12-2011, 08:17 PM
OK, I have had two sets of replacement glock sights installed by a "professional" armour,
then I purchased and installed three more sets on my own using the MGW sight pusher tool.
All were TruGlo TFOs.

My issue,... how important is it for the sights, both front and rear, to be absolute "true" dead-center
on the slide? AND what is the best way to "assure" that they are at true dead-center?

Is there a tool or device to obtain and set this measurement?

Thanks.

JV_
09-12-2011, 08:24 PM
I would eyeball them to the center of the dovetail.

The real test is the difference between POA/POI, I generally zero new sighs at 15-20Y because anything further and it's harder for me to keep everything precisely aligned (front sight/target/etc).

Prdator
09-12-2011, 08:44 PM
Well Im kinda anal about this, I use a set of Dial calipers to find dead center of the slide. I measure the width of the slide and then the width of the sight, subtract that from the width of the slide and divide in 2. so, ( slide-sight/2) this will give you the amount per side to center the sight. I do this on both the rear and front, as the front can be off at an angle due to the size of the cut out or the sight.

Now do you really need to do this??? IMHO yes, I can tell if a sight is offset more than about .005 or so. ( on a good day:o) Ive done this on about 50 or better Glocks and they have all shot POA POI, if you have good trigger control.

JV_
09-12-2011, 08:50 PM
I can tell if a sight is offset more than about .005 or so. ( on a good day:o) Ive done this on about 50 or better Glocks and they have all shot POA POI, if you have good trigger control.

On Heinie's Glock sights, the notch is intentionally cut off center. If you center up the sight based on the overall width, the notch is off.

On my Heinie Ledge sights:
From the left side of the notch to the outside left edge = .285"
From the right side of the notch to the outside right edge = .275"

The proof is on paper, every gun is different.

Ray Keith
09-12-2011, 09:11 PM
Well Im kinda anal about this, I use a set of Dial calipers to find dead center of the slide. I measure the width of the slide and then the width of the sight, subtract that from the width of the slide and divide in 2. so, ( slide-sight/2) this will give you the amount per side to center the sight. I do this on both the rear and front, as the front can be off at an angle due to the size of the cut out or the sight.

Now do you really need to do this??? IMHO yes, I can tell if a sight is offset more than about .005 or so. ( on a good day:o) Ive done this on about 50 or better Glocks and they have all shot POA POI, if you have good trigger control.

Prdator installed Pro Operators on my Glock...however he does it works really well.

Prdator
09-12-2011, 09:15 PM
On Heinie's Glock sights, the notch is intentionally cut off center. If you center up the sight based on the overall width, the notch is off.

On my Heinie Ledge sights:
From the left side of the notch to the outside left edge = .285"
From the right side of the notch to the outside right edge = .275"

The proof is on paper, every gun is different.

Wow!! All the sights Ive used ( ameriglo) the notch is dead center of the rear sight.
And you are right every gun is different that's why I measure each of them.

I've got to say that does really shock me on the Heinie's...

Thrill
09-12-2011, 09:17 PM

That's the answer/direction I'm looking for! I am, admittedly, a n00b, but I too think that setting up the sights on true dead center is a highly critical step to attempt to get to a reasonable poa/poi. I didn't have a dial caliper, so I am using a modified hi/lo welding gage to set and check my sights and I noticed a remarkable difference in the poa/poi the first time I went to the range after re-adjusting my sights to as close to true dead center as I could get them. The factory sights and the "professionally" installed TFO's were NOT exact dead center. IMHO, the closer to dead-center, the easier it is to get the poa/poi shots.

VolGrad
09-13-2011, 09:35 AM
I eyeball them to center then adjust to POA/POI on the range. I generally don't have to move them much, if at all.

Ga Shooter
09-13-2011, 11:07 AM

This is how I do mine and I use the Ameriglo Hack sights on all my Glocks.

Wayne Dobbs
09-20-2011, 10:01 AM
Instead of surrendering to OCD tendancies, when I replace the rear sight on a Glock (and I've done dozens of them), take a pencil and make a pair of Mk I, Mod 0 eyeball determined witness marks on where the rear sight notch is on top of the slide. Then remove the old sight (usually that factory plastic POS) and install the new one. Using your sight tool, align the new one to the witness marks and then go and refine the setting with carefully fired groups at no less than 15 yards and preferably well delivered 25 yard groups. Then go and train hard with the system.

Redhat
07-22-2018, 10:17 AM
Instead of surrendering to OCD tendancies, when I replace the rear sight on a Glock (and I've done dozens of them), take a pencil and make a pair of Mk I, Mod 0 eyeball determined witness marks on where the rear sight notch is on top of the slide. Then remove the old sight (usually that factory plastic POS) and install the new one. Using your sight tool, align the new one to the witness marks and then go and refine the setting with carefully fired groups at no less than 15 yards and preferably well delivered 25 yard groups. Then go and train hard with the system.

Do you recommend shooting groups for zero off a rest or freehand?

ranger
07-22-2018, 12:00 PM
I use my dial caliber but typically can "eyeball" them pretty close

Wayne Dobbs
07-22-2018, 02:38 PM
Do you recommend shooting groups for zero off a rest or freehand?

I do both. I'll usually zero off the bags at 25 yards and then start shooting standing freehand groups to verify that everything is set up well.

GyroF-16
07-22-2018, 04:08 PM
Any suggestions for a good tool for replacing front and rear sights on a Beretta 92?
Specifically for a Vertec slide, but it would be handy if it would also work for rear sights on traditional 92 slides.

lwt16
07-27-2018, 07:15 AM
I use a cheap dial caliper from Harbor Freight to get them dead center. For sight pushers, I use MGW tools and have the Sight Pro as well as the Rangemaster model uppers with just one lower part for both. I also have a dedicated Glock tool since I get so many Glocks in for sight work.

Expensive tools but they are worth it.

For the Glock fronts I use a dedicated nut driver........cant remember the name of it but it starts with a W. Wiha? I also have a freebie one from Ameriglo that is not deep like the nut driver so that the front post nut doesn't go too deep in the driver to engage the threads.