PDA

View Full Version : AK hunting season

GJM
08-21-2015, 08:54 PM
Our Alaska hunting season is just getting going. Caribou, brown bear and moose all in quick succession. Yesterday, we were out scouting for caribou and bear, when my wife took this video of me landing on a ridge top. Between some wind, and a bit of uphill, it made for a short landing.

http://youtu.be/riOBnfXwHCE

this morning, we got out flying this morning before weather came, and this is a neat spot on the side of a mountain about 20 miles from our cabin, with a bull caribou cruising in the area.

http://i250.photobucket.com/albums/gg251/GJMandes/image.jpg3_zpsxnpeez4n.jpg (http://s250.photobucket.com/user/GJMandes/media/image.jpg3_zpsxnpeez4n.jpg.html)

http://i250.photobucket.com/albums/gg251/GJMandes/image.jpg2_zpsnglnrlo3.jpg (http://s250.photobucket.com/user/GJMandes/media/image.jpg2_zpsnglnrlo3.jpg.html)

In the afternoon, just before a thunderstorm hit, we ran out to the gravel pit to verify zero at 100 yards, prior to hunting. I was hoping for no hassles, and we got lucky. First, my wife shot her standby Alaska gun, her left hand Brockman model 70 .338 scout rifle. Just two shots fired each time, as we were verifying zero and trying to conserve ammo. I saw just one hole, and when we got down, the two shots were about touching. Next I shot my .300 WM pre-64 that had been with Jim Brockman for work. Stock work caused a two inch zero shift lift, I corrected, and shot two into about an inch. Then she shot her brand new Brockman .300 WM, two shots, two inch correction left, then two shots into a half inch with 180 Nosler. Finally, I shot my new 9.3x62 Brockman pre-64 model 70, and the first two shots made a nice group right where they should be. Wish it could always be this easy -- hopefully an omen for hunting season.

http://i250.photobucket.com/albums/gg251/GJMandes/image.jpg1_zps78crpqtn.jpg (http://s250.photobucket.com/user/GJMandes/media/image.jpg1_zps78crpqtn.jpg.html)

gtmtnbiker98
08-21-2015, 08:57 PM
You lead an awesome life!

LittleLebowski
08-22-2015, 07:25 AM
Need to keep updating that blog, GJM.

JHC
08-22-2015, 08:21 AM
Next year's trip I would like to visit later than June and try to just taste AK hunting. Good luck!!!

LSP552
08-22-2015, 10:04 AM
Need to keep updating that blog, GJM.

Wait....GJM has a blog?

And good luck with the critter getting this year!

Mr. Goodtimes
08-22-2015, 10:16 AM
Sweet super cub man! So jelly... My retirement dream is to buy a plane and move to nowhere in Alaska.

How do you like the 9.3? I haven't started hunting yet but I'm considering buying a 9.3x62 as an all around hunting rifle.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Matt O
08-22-2015, 10:16 AM
Sweet, I'd love to hunt in Alaska at some point. I'm getting psyched for our own hunting season starting here next month.

GJM
08-22-2015, 10:30 AM
9.3x62 is very popular with a number of my friends. Jim Brockman loves to build them, and says they work well with a pre-64 .30-06 action. Bill Wilson has shot a bunch of stuff in Africa with this caliber. I am just getting to know mine, but I see it as taking the place of a .338-06 I have shot pushing ten caribou and six moose with.

Very unwelcome development -- Obama visiting Alaska right at the beginning of moose season. The rolling TFR will have a very negative effect not just on hunting, but on travel generally in Alaska. Anchorage serves as the supply and medical hub for the whole state, and it may not be possibly to fly a small aircraft into Anchorage while he is there. I see many inadvertent and intentional busts of the TFR airspace coming.

http://www.adn.com/article/20150821/faa-warns-pilots-security-restrictions-during-obamas-visit-alaska

GJM
08-26-2015, 10:36 PM
As we were leaving the airport this evening, this guy was just outside the gate. The gate designed to keep moose, bears and other critters off the runway here in town.

http://i250.photobucket.com/albums/gg251/GJMandes/aptmoose_zpswpbdgzma.jpeg (http://s250.photobucket.com/user/GJMandes/media/aptmoose_zpswpbdgzma.jpeg.html)

GJM
08-28-2015, 02:03 PM
http://i250.photobucket.com/albums/gg251/GJMandes/Klyde-Aug-28-2015_zps8vcnd5ml.jpg (http://s250.photobucket.com/user/GJMandes/media/Klyde-Aug-28-2015_zps8vcnd5ml.jpg.html)

BaiHu
08-28-2015, 02:15 PM
Lol! Nice comic. And perhaps next time they should put a sign on the fence reminding the moose that they're not supposed to be there.

Lester Polfus
08-28-2015, 02:32 PM
9.3x62 is very popular with a number of my friends. Jim Brockman loves to build them, and says they work well with a pre-64 .30-06 action. Bill Wilson has shot a bunch of stuff in Africa with this caliber. I am just getting to know mine, but I see it as taking the place of a .338-06 I have shot pushing ten caribou and six moose with.

I was unfamiliar with the 9.3x62 until this thread. That sounds like exactly the sort of medium bore, medium velocity cartridge shooting a heavy for caliber bullet that American hunters routinely ignore in favor of the newest magnum. I've been looking into exactly that sort of thing as Western Washington Elk caliber. Thanks.

GJM
08-28-2015, 03:06 PM
I was unfamiliar with the 9.3x62 until this thread. That sounds like exactly the sort of medium bore, medium velocity cartridge shooting a heavy for caliber bullet that American hunters routinely ignore in favor of the newest magnum. I've been looking into exactly that sort of thing as Western Washington Elk caliber. Thanks.

What distances are you shooting to? The downside to the .338-06 and 9.3 are shots beyond 300, and I much prefer .270/.300 for my out west deer and elk hunting.

Lester Polfus
08-28-2015, 03:17 PM
What distances are you shooting to? The downside to the .338-06 and 9.3 are shots beyond 300, and I much prefer .270/.300 for my out west deer and elk hunting.

It's extremely unusual, where I hunt, to be able to SEE farther than 300 yards. I hunt in dense, heavy stands of Firs, dog hair alder and vine maple, and the occasional clear cut, which might stretch out to 300. But by the time rifle elk season rolls around, the Elk are avoiding the clear cuts. It's really pretty shitty terrain in which to hunt, but I hunt sometimes literally in my back yard, up to about 15 miles away.

I'm far more likely to shoot an Elk at 25 yards than 325. So one concern I have is to use a really stout bullet, lest I blow the damn thing up at essentially contact distance.

If I were on the Eastern side of the state, or someplace like Montana, I'd definitely be looking at a flatter cartridge. Right now I'm weighing some of those medium bore cartridges against just buying a .45-70.

GJM
08-28-2015, 03:21 PM
I have shot numerous moose and caribou in the 200-300 range with .338-06, with complete satisfaction. I love 45-70, but it feels like a better defensive cartridge than hunting cartridge.

Lester Polfus
08-28-2015, 04:11 PM
I have shot numerous moose and caribou in the 200-300 range with .338-06, with complete satisfaction. I love 45-70, but it feels like a better defensive cartridge than hunting cartridge.

I hear you about the .45-70, in my head, I think of it as a giant pistol round you have to shoot through a lever action.

What barrel lengths are you running in your .338-06 and 9.3x62? One thing that may help decide this for me is overall length. When I'm creeping around in the puckerbrush, "short" is an asset. I can get reasonable Elk-killing ballistics out of a Guide Gun. If I go with a bolt gun I think I would prefer 20" but nothing over 22."

GJM
08-28-2015, 05:19 PM
22 in both

Lester Polfus
08-28-2015, 05:32 PM
Cool. Thanks.

JHC
08-28-2015, 05:45 PM
It's extremely unusual, where I hunt, to be able to SEE farther than 300 yards. I hunt in dense, heavy stands of Firs, dog hair alder and vine maple, and the occasional clear cut, which might stretch out to 300. But by the time rifle elk season rolls around, the Elk are avoiding the clear cuts. It's really pretty shitty terrain in which to hunt, but I hunt sometimes literally in my back yard, up to about 15 miles away.

I'm far more likely to shoot an Elk at 25 yards than 325. So one concern I have is to use a really stout bullet, lest I blow the damn thing up at essentially contact distance.

If I were on the Eastern side of the state, or someplace like Montana, I'd definitely be looking at a flatter cartridge. Right now I'm weighing some of those medium bore cartridges against just buying a .45-70.

Perfect hunting to my tastes!

I've wondered how common that thick hunting is in AK and whether it's avoided for bear safety. ???

GJM
08-28-2015, 05:58 PM
JHC, trying to sneak around in thick brush is generally not productive as a moose hunting strategy, as the moose will know you are there long before you have a chance for a shot. There is a lot of thick brush around, but it is better to call the moose to you. Pretty darn exciting to have a big bull thrashing through thick brush to you. Or have a brown bear come to your call, thinking you are a moose.

I have found the most productive strategy to catch moose out along the edges of water. Those shots can be surprisingly long, making the 45-70 a no go for that style hunting. A Guide Gun is great for packing moose, after it is down, in areas with bears.

JHC
08-28-2015, 06:32 PM
JHC, trying to sneak around in thick brush is generally not productive as a moose hunting strategy, as the moose will know you are there long before you have a chance for a shot. There is a lot of thick brush around, but it is better to call the moose to you. Pretty darn exciting to have a big bull thrashing through thick brush to you. Or have a brown bear come to your call, thinking you are a moose.

I have found the most productive strategy to catch moose out along the edges of water. Those shots can be surprisingly long, making the 45-70 a no go for that style hunting. A Guide Gun is great for packing moose, after it is down, in areas with bears.

Do they travel along game trails regularly enough to ambush them in such thicker areas? You are not likely to walk up on a whitetail in the brush either but in areas where there's a decent deer population it seems to work in a fashion (ambush).

Spot and stalk sounds pretty awesome but I've never hunted the West. I see archery hunting vids taking elk in the timber, from on foot on the ground no less.

Lester Polfus
08-28-2015, 07:04 PM
Spot and stalk sounds pretty awesome but I've never hunted the West. I see archery hunting vids taking elk in the timber, from on foot on the ground no less.

That's my dream, right there. I bought a trad bow and January, and I'll be deer hunting my property this year with it. In the next couple years I want to go after elk that way, and see how I do. Folks are surprisingly successful that way, as we got to archery hunt elk during the rut here, which is actually an improvement over trying to rifle hunt in November.

Matt O
08-28-2015, 08:11 PM
Do they travel along game trails regularly enough to ambush them in such thicker areas? You are not likely to walk up on a whitetail in the brush either but in areas where there's a decent deer population it seems to work in a fashion (ambush).

Yeah, spot and stalk or still hunting doesn't really work in east coast big woods. We're kinda stuck with the ambushing method.

That's my dream, right there. I bought a trad bow and January, and I'll be deer hunting my property this year with it. In the next couple years I want to go after elk that way, and see how I do. Folks are surprisingly successful that way, as we got to archery hunt elk during the rut here, which is actually an improvement over trying to rifle hunt in November.

Hunting with a trad bow is a pretty incredible experience. I hunted for a year with a longbow and missed the only shot I took that season unfortunately. Harvesting a deer with traditional tackle would be a pretty incredible feeling I would imagine. Unfortunately right now I don't have time to keep up the longbow skills and the area I do most of my hunting in only allows compounds.

GJM
08-28-2015, 09:58 PM
Haven't heard it resolved whether pilots and passengers can have firearms on board. "Checked by wands," sure doesn't sound like it. It is a rare aircraft that flies in Alaska without one or more firearms. And since that is the start of duck and moose season, it will be interesting to see how this is going to work.

http://www.adn.com/article/20150828/wasilla-lake-be-gateway-airport-floatplanes-during-presidents-visit

snippet:

Dale was at Wasilla Lake checking out the area that will likely be used for the temporary checkpoint.

"There's a nice big long dock," she said. TSA will use hand wands to check passengers and pilots, air carriers have been told. Bags may be opened. Passengers will need to have ID.

JHC
08-29-2015, 05:32 AM
Haven't heard it resolved whether pilots and passengers can have firearms on board. "Checked by wands," sure doesn't sound like it. It is a rare aircraft that flies in Alaska without one or more firearms. And since that is the start of duck and moose season, it will be interesting to see how this is going to work.

http://www.adn.com/article/20150828/wasilla-lake-be-gateway-airport-floatplanes-during-presidents-visit

snippet:

Dale was at Wasilla Lake checking out the area that will likely be used for the temporary checkpoint.

"There's a nice big long dock," she said. TSA will use hand wands to check passengers and pilots, air carriers have been told. Bags may be opened. Passengers will need to have ID.

Along with the inaugural production that has become too much like a coronation, this sounds ridiculous. I get that cogs in the wheel are just doing their jobs as directed.

LSP552
08-29-2015, 09:54 AM

I would be VERY surprised if there were any provisions allowing for firearms. Hope that's not the case, but that's what I would plan for.

LSP972
08-29-2015, 11:22 AM
When I saw this thread title, my first thought was "He knows better than to hunt with a standard Mekong Match launcher. He must be trying something new?"

Duh… I need to get out more...:rolleyes:

Wondering Beard
08-29-2015, 01:35 PM
When I saw this thread title, my first thought was "He knows better than to hunt with a standard Mekong Match launcher. He must be trying something new?"

Duh… I need to get out more...:rolleyes:

Oh good, I thought I was alone in having had that reaction.

Then again, I also wondered if he was hunting an AK instead of with an AK.
:o

GJM
08-29-2015, 11:31 PM
Funny, when I first read "OrigamiAK," I thought Gabe was from Alaska, or an Alaska fan. The worst is when somebody sees AK, and says "Arkansas."

Flying out to our cabin today, there was fresh termination dust in the mountains. That is the first snow of the year. Fall is here, and it generally lasts 2-3 weeks in Alaska.

Luke
08-29-2015, 11:36 PM
Man, you live in a beautiful part of the world! I hope one day I get a chance to visit! If you don't mind me asking, how did you end up in Alaska?

GJM
08-29-2015, 11:38 PM
Man, you live in a beautiful part of the world! I hope one day I get a chance to visit! If you don't mind me asking, how did you end up in Alaska?

My wife wanted to live here.

Irelander
08-31-2015, 09:06 AM
You lead an awesome life!

Definitely an understatement.

GJM,

Do you fly for business too or just your own use and enjoyment? Just curious.

My wife wanted to live here.

My wife is so cold blooded that she would probably start shivering at just the thought of living in AK.

GJM
08-31-2015, 03:15 PM
Fly jet for work, bush planes for fun.

Heart warming story of a save by a float plane. Glad it didn't happen a few hours later or the TFR would have prevented this:

http://www.adn.com/article/20150831/man-and-dogs-rescued-after-canoe-sinks-knik-arm

Fall/winter is here, snow level down to 2,000 feet msl at our cabin.

JHC
08-31-2015, 03:36 PM
I'd previously spent a January living out of a tent a little east of Fairbanks in the early '80's during one of the Joint Exercise Brim Frost when I was in the Army. I was keen on AK even only seeing it in the dead of winter in the interior.

But in June I visited my younger son who is stationed at JBER (Anchorage area) and as great as I expected AK to be . . . it vastly exceeded my expectations. AK and the Alaskans I met; OMG. Anywhere I ever live or have lived is second place to AK.

LSP552
08-31-2015, 04:04 PM
I'd previously spent a January living out of a tent a little east of Fairbanks in the early '80's during one of the Joint Exercise Brim Frost when I was in the Army. I was keen on AK even only seeing it in the dead of winter in the interior.

But in June I visited my younger son who is stationed at JBER (Anchorage area) and as great as I expected AK to be . . . it vastly exceeded my expectations. AK and the Alaskans I met; OMG. Anywhere I ever live or have lived is second place to AK.

There are two reasons why I probably won't move to Alaska when I retire from my current job in about 4 years; grandkids in Houston. Otherwise, the wife and I would alternate between Alaska and Florida. We get withdrawal when we skip a year without a trip North.

GJM
09-05-2015, 10:30 PM
Here is an update. In our area of Alaska, Sept 1-15 is moose season, and that is the highlight of our year. By September, weather starts taking a turn for the worse, and commonly, a series of low pressure systems roll in from the Alaska Peninsula, making flying difficult. For folks not familiar with Alaska, while we have many animals, the game density is actually quite low per square mile. Moose season in our area involves a lot of flying, trying to locate a legal bull. After you spot a bull, if it is in an area you can reasonably access, state law requires that you not hunt until the next day after you fly. Fall seems to last two to three weeks in our area of Alaska, and the bull moose become more active as the season progresses.

We have been flying, but have not spotted a bull moose in any of the regular places we fly. With a decent weather window of two days, we decided to go caribou and grizzly bear hunting. In our area, that involves landing up on ridges, and glassing for caribou, and bears that are following the caribou. We got out Thursday afternoon, on a beautiful afternoon. At least beautiful from the ground, but the air was quite snarly. Reaching our hunting area, it was so rough between northwest wind aloft and normal daytime heating, that it was hard to fly low enough to spot, without getting beat up. We decided to land on a 350 foot bit of ridge top that we have previously landed at. Here is a picture of me just before touching down.

http://i250.photobucket.com/albums/gg251/GJMandes/image.jpg1_zpsafxznhjh.jpg (http://s250.photobucket.com/user/GJMandes/media/image.jpg1_zpsafxznhjh.jpg.html)

We got the tent set-up, and then drove duckbill anchors into the tundra, to secure the planes from being blown off the ridge if the wind increased much during the night. The colors were gorgeous all around, and we spent the last hours of daylight spotting. Surprisingly, we saw no caribou, even though we saw animals the last time we were there, and it is a known good area. We did see a large grizzly bear cruising a ridge about a mile to our west.

Dark around 10pm, we were in the tent. Astro, our dog, crawls into my sleeping bag, which makes for a tight fit. Benelli in the tent for bears, and we both sleep with our pistols on -- me a USP, and my wife a Glock 29.

No visitors overnight. We woke up in the dark, to large plane traffic high overhead. We believe it was related to Obama's visit later that morning to Dillingham, Alaska in Bristol Bay. At first light, we were glassing for caribou, and started seeing small groups of 'boo, but too far off. Then, this beautiful fox showed up, and approached quite close to us and our camp. He seemed very curious and interested in our bird dog. Tail was bigger than he was!

http://i250.photobucket.com/albums/gg251/GJMandes/image.jpg1_zps8mputllx.jpg (http://s250.photobucket.com/user/GJMandes/media/image.jpg1_zps8mputllx.jpg.html)

Our dog quietly watched the fox, and vice versa. As we moved around glassing, the fox followed us around, staying about 30 yards away. The darn fox even peed on top of where our dog did. Here is the pack glassing, and our camp.

http://i250.photobucket.com/albums/gg251/GJMandes/image.jpg1_zpsvxnb1otw.jpg (http://s250.photobucket.com/user/GJMandes/media/image.jpg1_zpsvxnb1otw.jpg.html)

http://i250.photobucket.com/albums/gg251/GJMandes/image.jpg1_zpshwcvs2yh.jpg (http://s250.photobucket.com/user/GJMandes/media/image.jpg1_zpshwcvs2yh.jpg.html)

The closest caribou got was a few miles, but that was further than we wanted to pack meat, this early in the season. No bears spotted, and soon we got some light rain. We decided to beat feet back to our cabin. The wind had shifted, making the departure a little tricky. After pacing it off, we decided to depart slightly down terrain with about a five knot tailwind. My wife went first, with our dog, and reported she used every bit of the available strip. I knew that was code for it was a little hair ball. I departed, hit the end of the ridge top right about flying speed, and rolled off the edge and wobbled into the air, taking advantage of the drop off to convert altitude into airspeed. The air was great, and we spotted for an hour, seeing surprisingly few caribou. This was a surprise as the Mulchatna caribou herd is rebounding, and we had seen a pod of about 1,000 animals only a month previously.

Approaching our cabin, we split off, to go our separate ways, spotting for moose. I flew a lake that has always interested me, and while the air was rough there, took another pass. I spotted something white, and thought it was the antler of a bull moose. After they drop their velvet, they are much easier to see. Made a few more passes, and confirmed he was a very nice bull. I radioed my wife, and headed back to our cabin. We decided to motivate and go after him. We were both pretty tired, and had a quick nap, than went into overdrive getting ready. Got our inflatable canoe and camp loaded into our float plane and headed off just after 5pm. The water was glassy, making the landing harder, and my wife made a great landing. I saw the moose lift his head as we flew by.

We pulled into a cove about a mile down the lake and started getting organized. First, we got the Aire canoe out and inflated. That boat has been key to a lot of our moose hunting success, as there is little upside of tromping around in thick brush, when you can quietly paddle the lake. We often sleep in the back of the Cessna when moose hunting which is a good thing on account of not worrying about bears, and the scarcity of places to put up a tent in moose country. We have spent nights in a small tent on the edge of lakes, rolling in sand, hoping the water level doesn't rise, and none of that is conducive to a good night's sleep. The bugs were really bad, and we made Mountain House, and all got into the plane to get away from the bugs. While we were eating, our dog let out a bark, and I saw two cow moose were coming down the shoreline. Great sign, and hopefully girlfriends of our bull.

It rained hard most of the night, and we got up in the dark. I exited the plane first, and then continued to encourage my wife to get going, as I was getting cold out standing in the rain. We paddled the canoe across the lake in the dark, and worked our way to a point across the lake from the general area of the bull. It worked out to right at 300 yards on the topo map, so with my .300 WM, we figured we could shoot across the lake. It was 40's and rainy, and hard not to get chilled. After we stopped paddling, I started chilling, and stripped my goretex shell off to layer up underneath, as I knew a 300 yard shot with a cold core and hands were not a good combo. Here is our rig.

http://i250.photobucket.com/albums/gg251/GJMandes/image.jpg1_zpsb6wrwnmk.jpg (http://s250.photobucket.com/user/GJMandes/media/image.jpg1_zpsb6wrwnmk.jpg.html)

After a while, with no sign of the bull, we climbed some terrain across the lake to try to glass into the thick cover. It felt great to move, and warm up. No joy spotting, and then we started softly calling. No response, and we discontinued calling, as we didn't want to chance spooking him this early in the season. After five hours, we gave up and canoed back to the plane. All three of us piled into the back of the plane, and had a big, warm nap. We considered staying another wet night, and then decided to return to our cabin. The visibility was down under two miles with a two hundred or so foot ceiling. We decided that would work, for our flight down terrain to our cabin. My wife flew, and I helped by constantly wiping the inside of the windshield with a rag, trying to clear condensation that had accumulated from our overnight in the plane. My wife left partial flaps out, to have a more favorable deck angle in the crappy weather, and soon we were landed at our cabin. It was really nice to get out of wet clothes and a wet plane, and go inside.

So, lots of activity, and not much result, but a great few days. It is like a campaign, and we have another ten days.

Malamute
09-05-2015, 11:22 PM
Great post and pictures, thanks for sharing G!

LSP552
09-05-2015, 11:28 PM
Thanks for taking the time to write that!

JAD
09-06-2015, 06:35 AM
Thanks for the write up, George. Looking forward to hearing you complain about a four day pack out.

JHC
09-06-2015, 11:39 AM
It staggers me the amount of "overhead" in time, gear and general logistics to get into position to actually hunt!

Matt O
09-06-2015, 06:10 PM
Fantastic post George - thanks for letting us experience Alaska hunting vicariously through you all. It's particularly interesting for me as most of my hunting has to be done within the confines of rich/liberal suburban neighborhoods as part of a deer population control program and thus is, literally, about as much a polar opposite from the way you all hunt. I've always wanted to have the opportunity to visit and hunt/fish in Alaska though, so feel free to follow up with further updates. :cool:

It staggers me the amount of "overhead" in time, gear and general logistics to get into position to actually hunt!

I was pretty amazed by that as well, though I guess given how inhospitable the terrain is and how much of it you have to cover, it makes sense. It really stood out to me from the whole story though, as for the last two years I've been trying to hunt without spending much of any money (other than broadheads and other consumables) as it sort of undermines my whole rationale of "free meat."

JAD
09-06-2015, 08:03 PM

Kind of begs the question of what is 'actual' hunting. That trip sounded like all hunting to me, trigger press or no.

JHC
09-06-2015, 08:48 PM
Kind of begs the question of what is 'actual' hunting. That trip sounded like all hunting to me, trigger press or no.

I guess it has too! It's enlightening. I've never considered my packing and few hours drive part of hunting. Way different in the wilderness obviously.

StraitR
09-07-2015, 03:51 PM
Wow George, beautiful country up there, thanks for sharing.

GJM
09-07-2015, 06:44 PM
Not sure why, but my last post disappeared. Will try to recreate it.

We have been flying twice a day when possible, looking for large moose, but it has been raining frequently, and when not raining, there is so much residual moisture, it has made for multiple low cloud layers, complicating spotting. Did see one small bull today, with his nose to the backside of a cow. This is pretty typical of what we have been dealing with.

http://i250.photobucket.com/albums/gg251/GJMandes/image.jpg1_zpsv1djgiwm.jpg (http://s250.photobucket.com/user/GJMandes/media/image.jpg1_zpsv1djgiwm.jpg.html)

GJM
09-15-2015, 02:41 PM
Bad morning, this happened twenty miles down the lake from us:

http://www.adn.com/article/20150915/fatalities-reported-float-plane-crashes-lake-iliamna

Our friend witnessed and was rendering assistance. Military C130 Herc there now picking up people -- probably too many for our air ambulance capability which is oriented to one or two patients.

GJM
09-19-2015, 11:27 AM
The gig is up. We have gone from 24 hours of light, and like, to winter. Getting light around 730am now, and the snow level is under 500 feet MSL (mean sea level). Three weeks of notably bad weather, and moose season has ended without success. View out the front of our cabin this morning.

http://i250.photobucket.com/albums/gg251/GJMandes/image.jpg1_zpss2hc2e0d.jpg (http://s250.photobucket.com/user/GJMandes/media/image.jpg1_zpss2hc2e0d.jpg.html)

StraitR
09-19-2015, 12:54 PM
Bummer on striking out on a moose, but look at that view you have. You're a blessed man George, a blessed man indeed. Thanks for sharing, I hope we get to see some more as winter moves in.