PDA

View Full Version : New Zealand picks LMT to replace Steyr AUG

LittleLebowski
08-18-2015, 02:36 PM
http://www.thefirearmblog.com/blog/2015/08/18/new-zealand-army-selects-lmt-to-produce-rifle-to-replace-steyr-aug/

A Request for Tender for the provision of contemporary individual weapons, necessary training, and associated support to the NZDF closed on 12 November 2014. Following the evaluation of the tender responses, the companies listed below were selected for the trials programme phase of the evaluation, which was undertaken between 2 March and 1 June 2015.

The following companies were selected for the Individual Weapon trials phase:

Beretta New Zealand Limited
Ceská zbrojovka a.s.
Colt Canada Corporation
FN HERSTAL
STEYR MANNLICHER GmbH
XTEK Limited (Sig Sauer)
Heckler & Kock GmbH
Lewis Machine & Tools Co Inc
Following the trials programme phase of the evaluation of tenders, the Ministry has selected Lewis Machine & Tool Co Inc of the USA as preferred Tenderer.

Glenn E. Meyer
08-18-2015, 04:14 PM
I think I read that the Australians are going with some updated AUG. BTW, the Nigerians are buying a Polish rifle.

JSGlock34
08-18-2015, 07:29 PM
I've had good experience with my LMT SBR, and it is nice to see them enjoying overseas success with sales to the UK (L129A1) and NZ. It'll be interesting to see exactly which LMT product was selected (I'm curious to see if the MRP was purchased, and then whether in piston or DI form). LMT appears to have prevailed against some serious competition (which I'm assuming included the HK416, FN SCAR and Colt Canada C8 based on the list of manufacturers).

I think I read that the Australians are going with some updated AUG. BTW, the Nigerians are buying a Polish rifle.

Thales F90...

http://rogueadventurer.files.wordpress.com/2013/08/ef88-with-ml40aus.jpg

LittleLebowski
08-19-2015, 06:48 AM
Nyeti weeps :(

TiroFijo
08-19-2015, 07:32 AM
NZ also has previously picked a version of the LMT MWS in 7.62N for their DM rifle, so apparently they are happy with the company and the system.

http://www.thefirearmblog.com/blog/2011/10/21/new-zealand-army-adopts-lmt-ar-10-for-new-designated-marksman-rifle/

LittleLebowski
08-19-2015, 07:35 AM
Meanwhile, Colt flounders.

HCM
08-19-2015, 07:44 AM
Nyeti weeps :(

I seem to recall when it comes to AARs he is an LMT fan as well. I am really curious whether they are going with the conventional LMT M-4 or an MRP system?

I bought my two LMT's back in 2007 when Colts were Unobtainium. I've been very pleased with them

LittleLebowski
08-19-2015, 07:49 AM
I seem to recall when it comes to AARs he is an LMT fan as well. I am really curious whether they are going with the conventional LMT M-4 or an MRP system?

I bought my two LMT's back in 2007 when Colts were Unobtainium. I've been very pleased with them

I thought he has a .308 Larue. You are probably correct, I have never shot with him since he decided that the East Coast doesn't deserve his classes :(

HCM
08-19-2015, 08:00 AM
I thought he has a .308 Larue. You are probably correct, I have never shot with him since he decided that the East Coast doesn't deserve his classes :(

He does, along with one of pretty much everything else. But I know he's been a long time proponent of the 556/6.8 LMT MRP Guns.

The new 556/6.8 slick side rifle length MRP is very nice.

CDFIII
08-19-2015, 09:45 AM
My contact at LMT said that NZ ordered green anodized MRP platforms.

Irelander
08-19-2015, 10:15 AM
Found this video on Soldier Systems

http://youtu.be/byZPhAVoqdI

JSGlock34
08-21-2015, 05:00 PM
The new 556/6.8 slick side rifle length MRP is very nice.

I am actually disappointed by the LM8 slick-side MRP. The weight reduction did very little - I don't think the juice is worth the squeeze. Granted, the MRP is heavy due to the barrel profile, and LMT should offer some lightweight profiles as an option. But with Keymod and MLOK out there, the proprietary LM8 accessories are very limiting. Plus, I think the LM8 is only available as a complete rifle.

I'd like to see LMT take the LM8 back to the drawing board to incorporate either the Keymod or MLOK standard, and then offer complete uppers for sale.

My contact at LMT said that NZ ordered green anodized MRP platforms.

Fascinating...now to find out whether piston or DI carried the day.

CDFIII
08-25-2015, 12:08 PM
I am actually disappointed by the LM8 slick-side MRP. The weight reduction did very little - I don't think the juice is worth the squeeze. Granted, the MRP is heavy due to the barrel profile, and LMT should offer some lightweight profiles as an option. But with Keymod and MLOK out there, the proprietary LM8 accessories are very limiting. Plus, I think the LM8 is only available as a complete rifle.

I'd like to see LMT take the LM8 back to the drawing board to incorporate either the Keymod or MLOK standard, and then offer complete uppers for sale.

They chose the D.I. Guns. As far as LM8 is concerned LMT does offer the upper as a stand alone product. They also now have a few light contoured Bbl.'s with aluminum Bbl extensions.

LittleLebowski
08-25-2015, 12:16 PM
It's almost like years of combat on two fronts has shown some people that the AR works well.

Kyle Reese
08-25-2015, 12:49 PM
It's almost like years of combat on two fronts has shown some people that the AR works well.

Right?

rauchman
08-25-2015, 12:56 PM
Found this video on Soldier Systems

http://youtu.be/byZPhAVoqdI

It looks like these are .308's? If they are, how do they manage the recoil so well? The rifle looks like it has barely any recoil.

John Hearne
08-26-2015, 10:09 AM
Or at least as good if not better than any other option.....

TGS
08-26-2015, 02:30 PM
It looks like these are .308's? If they are, how do they manage the recoil so well? The rifle looks like it has barely any recoil.

That's what I would expect for a semi-auto 7.62x51 with a good muzzle brake like they have.

They're also being shot in the prone, which makes a huge difference.

JV_
08-26-2015, 03:48 PM
TGS got it. A good muzzle brake or suppressor, and forward/pre-load on the bipod, mitigates recoil quite well.

JSGlock34
08-26-2015, 05:10 PM
They also now have a few light contoured Bbl.'s with aluminum Bbl extensions.

Do you have a link to the light contoured barrels?

Sensei
08-27-2015, 12:26 PM

LCM8 MRP uppers are available as the L7V1A. They come without the barrel, charging handle, or bolt carrier assembly for about $900. FWIW, I'm using the L7V1A for a 10.5" SBR build. The total cost breakdown for the upper looks something like this:
1) L7V1A upper $930
2) 10.5" MRP barrel $340
3) LMT enhanced bolt carrier assembly $300
4) Gunfighter CH $50; I may go GB at $90 since it will be shot mostly suppressed.