PDA

View Full Version : Old school Colt Goverment Carbine

LSP552
08-14-2015, 10:07 PM
I have an old Colt AR-15 A2 Government Carbine with pencil barrel. This is an old school (late 80s IIRC), non-flattop, pre-ban gun. I’m wondering if it’s worthwhile to upgrade with a newer flat top upper? The rifle is just sitting in the back of the safe so I was thinking about making it useful again instead of just a nostalgia toy. It does have the Colt large front pin.

What are the thoughts about the offset pins designed to allow a GI upper on an old Colt? I have zero experience with this, but it looks like a decent option. Or is it just not worth the effort?

http://www.fulton-armory.com/frontoffsetpinfcoltlarge-holelowerandsmall-holeupper.aspx

Thanks

LSP972
08-14-2015, 10:16 PM
I still have mine, too. But it gets used. Marie has neck issues, and with the H-1 mounted in the carrying handle, she can get a chin weld on the stock instead of a cheek weld, and shoot the hell out of it.

Its just like those old AimPoints we had mounted on the 6520s; and IIRC, we did some pretty good work with those.

IOW… why bother making a flat top out of it? You've got a ton of time behind the carrying handle. If you want, you can check out the mount I'm using and try the gun… for old times' sake, if nothing else…:D

HCM
08-14-2015, 10:26 PM
I had one of those in the 90s. It was a good gun.

I currently have a colt 9 mm A.R. with a fixed carry handle upper and an Aimpoint M2 in an Aimpoint gooseneck mount. I've has good results with this set up

LSP552
08-14-2015, 10:35 PM
I still have mine, too. But it gets used. Marie has neck issues, and with the H-1 mounted in the carrying handle, she can get a chin weld on the stock instead of a cheek weld, and shoot the hell out of it.

Its just like those old AimPoints we had mounted on the 6520s; and IIRC, we did some pretty good work with those.

IOW… why bother making a flat top out of it? You've got a ton of time behind the carrying handle. If you want, you can check out the mount I'm using and try the gun… for old times' sake, if nothing else…:D

Pretty sure I still have an old GG&G handle mount and ancient Aimpoint somewhere.

I'm leaning toward flat topping it and making it a Carmen gun. Regardless, I won't be getting rid an any AR.

We do need to do an iron sight carbine day soon. Because old.

Willard
08-14-2015, 11:54 PM
I would like it if they still made carbines with integral carrying handles. Would make a great KISS carbine. Unfortunately, if you want to go that route, it seems you have to pick up a NODAK receiver or similar and build your own.

ST911
08-15-2015, 08:05 AM
Consider a new upper. I just did some agency 6520s with these from BCM, a steal at $79.95. You might need a taller front sight post. Over the years of these conversions, some did, some didn't.

http://www.bravocompanyusa.com/Upper-Receiver-Assembly-M4-Flat-Top-demo-p/flat%20top%20-upper%20-m4%20demo.htm

6520s are terrific for folks that don't want optics.

LSP972
08-15-2015, 11:46 AM
Pretty sure I still have an old GG&G handle mount and ancient Aimpoint somewhere.

I'm leaning toward flat topping it and making it a Carmen gun. Regardless, I won't be getting rid an any AR.

We do need to do an iron sight carbine day soon. Because old.

I think it would be a good idea for her to try it both ways; I just so happen to have one of each configuration.

Baker has A/C now; let's plan on a Sunday morning, I'll bring both and the CMMG .22 adapter so she won't be bothered by noise and recoil while deciding which one she likes better.

Funny you mention iron sights: I'm in the process of "working up" with a FrankenGun I bought on impulse the other day. It will be bare-bones; just a sling, no optic or white light. I'll explain why FTF…;)

Anyway, this thing is interesting, to be sure. It has the MagPul flip-up plastic rear sight, which works quite well with the large aperture. I know the polymer lower is a crap shoot; but like the guy said as he passed the 42nd floor- so far, so good. I need to get out to JESTEC with it, for some distance work… after the weather cools off a bit.

TGS
08-17-2015, 09:29 PM
Why not sell it for a pretty penny to someone who wants an authentic old-school large pin Colt carbine, and use the money to buy a nice new rifle?

It's not like you're upgrading it, anyway. You're practically buying a new rifle by getting a whole new upper. Heck, just keep it and buy a whole new rifle, if you really don't want to sell it....especially with the price of lowers right now. You can get your "upgraded" upper as planned, and still get a complete lower for under $200 right now.