PDA

View Full Version : A brief Review on the Trijicon RMR on a Glock 19 after 6 months of use.

willowofwisp
09-11-2011, 07:53 PM
Roughly 6 months ago I had Doug (ATEI) mill my Glock 19 to fit a Trijicon RMR and Ameriglo BUIS. In those six months I have atteneded 4 MDFI classes, a Pat Rogers class, fired 4500 rounds of 9mm range ammo, 150 rounds of 124gr+p Ranger-T, dropped the gun two times, carried it almost every day in a Raven Concealment holster, ran the RMR off of my belt, holster, knee, boot, table, barricade and a table, and cleaned the gun and optic only once.

I initially zero'd the RMR at 25 yards the day I got the slide back from Doug at my club's indoor range, and since then I have not touched adjusted the dials at all, the sight has been removed from the slide at least four or five times since then, and I have yet to change the batteries. Today, I decided to recheck the zero after 6 months of everyday use and some abuse, I shot two 5 round groups at 25 yards off of a barricade and sure enough all hits were consistent and within the 10 ring on a B-27r target.

I have yet to run any other optic on a handgun but after my experience and hearing the stories of others I will only run a Trijicon RMR on my fighting/carry/competition/what have you firearm.

Here are a few pictures of the sight after 6 months.

http://farm7.static.flickr.com/6201/6134378274_0a7158cb81_z.jpg

http://farm7.static.flickr.com/6194/6134375820_41ddcb71e9_z.jpg

http://farm7.static.flickr.com/6161/6134374428_9a886ff7bc_z.jpg

fuse
09-11-2011, 11:00 PM
Damn. That's high praise.

Which reticle do you have?

willowofwisp
09-11-2011, 11:42 PM
Damn. That's high praise.

Which reticle do you have?

RMR02 its the 8 moa LED RMR.

JDM
09-12-2011, 12:24 AM
I'm awfully tempted to do this.

JConn
09-12-2011, 06:26 AM
This will cost me money....

TAZ
09-12-2011, 02:59 PM
Are the dings on the front face of the RMR a result of you using the sight as a means to cycle the action or brass smacking it?

I am seriously thinking of having my 21 done this way. As my eyes crap out further and further the more appealing this treatment becomes.

JV_
09-12-2011, 03:04 PM
or brass smacking it?FWIW: Some folks run the rear sight in front of the RMR, that brings it further to the rear and less likely to be hit by brass.

willowofwisp
09-12-2011, 05:45 PM
Are the dings on the front face of the RMR a result of you using the sight as a means to cycle the action or brass smacking it?

I am seriously thinking of having my 21 done this way. As my eyes crap out further and further the more appealing this treatment becomes.

They are from cycling the action and probably dropping it, I can count on one hand the number of times I have had brass smack it, and that was with some really light reloads, otherwise no issue.

Jakus
09-13-2011, 12:09 AM
Did you try and rear sight in front of the RMR at any point? I will be doing this to an M&P at the first of the year and the only questions I have left are rear sight position and who to have mill the slide.

willowofwisp
09-13-2011, 06:59 AM
Did you try and rear sight in front of the RMR at any point? I will be doing this to an M&P at the first of the year and the only questions I have left are rear sight position and who to have mill the slide.

A shot a m&p that was setup this way, and I felt teh BUIS behind the RMR worked better, at least when starting off, I don't really see a benefit to having teh rear sight in front of the RMR, some say it may deflect oil/brass/dirt but I haven't had an issue with any of those.

For slide milling, I would say OST or the guy I go through Doug (he does all the work for magpul dynamics guns).

this is his website.

http://www.ateiguns.com/

Decado
09-17-2011, 11:05 AM
My Glock 17 set up by Bowie Tactical has the rear sight in front of the RMR. I prefer it this way as it seems to clutter the glass less then having the sight mounted behind the RMR. I think having the sights in front or to the rear of the RDS is a personal preference. The damage to the front of the RMR is interesting as I use mine to rack the slide and have slammed it with the door of my Jeep and the RMR does not have a scratch.

willowofwisp
09-17-2011, 07:21 PM
My Glock 17 set up by Bowie Tactical has the rear sight in front of the RMR. I prefer it this way as it seems to clutter the glass less then having the sight mounted behind the RMR. I think having the sights in front or to the rear of the RDS is a personal preference. The damage to the front of the RMR is interesting as I use mine to rack the slide and have slammed it with the door of my Jeep and the RMR does not have a scratch.

A friend who I shoot with and actually machined this slide has an RMR on his m&p and it has seen some use, and it doesn't have the same marks as mine, I wonder if possibly the andonizing on my RMR wasn't done properly.

Decado
09-17-2011, 08:31 PM
That is another possibility. Might be worth emailing Trijicon to see what they have to say.