PDA

View Full Version : LEO pistol whipped and mocked on social media

LittleLebowski
08-10-2015, 02:01 PM
Society isn't feeling too grateful right now, a sorry state of affairs. Nice of the onlookers to take pictures and post them online rather than help the officer.

http://www.nydailynews.com/news/national/pistol-whipped-alabama-mocked-twitter-facebook-article-1.2319836

An Alabama police officer was pistol-whipped with his own gun during a traffic stop — and then mocked by cop critics online.

The plainclothes Birmingham detective was investigating a string of burglaries when he stopped a GMC Yukon and was attacked by the driver, authorities said.

The suspect stole the detective’s gun during the struggle and clubbed him repeatedly with it, leaving the officer lying limp on the ground, Al.com reported.

Pictures of the bloodied officer surfaced on social media shortly after the brutal confrontation.

Peally
08-10-2015, 02:08 PM
Is it not politically correct to think a lot of people in this country would better serve the world being in a deep dirt covered hole?

WDW
08-10-2015, 02:16 PM
It really is disturbing how reluctant a lot of the public is to step in & do the right thing. They preach a lot of love, peace, & tolerance bullshit, but when it comes time to actually help out your fellow man, they usually fail to pony up.

Gadfly
08-10-2015, 02:20 PM
And if the officer had taken care of business the headlines would be that a "white officer murdered an un armed black male."

They always taught us ever encounter you have on duty is a "man with a gun" encounter, because YOU brought the gun. So treat it as such.

I hope the officer fully recovers, and that the turd who beat him gets flushed.

Luke
08-10-2015, 02:32 PM
Hate to see this happen. I work in downtown Birmingham. It's a different world in Birmingham then it is else where. I live 35 miles away and it's a bunch of good country people. This makes me sick to think it's happened here but it's not surprising. Birmingham is filled with a bunch of liberals.

Hambo
08-10-2015, 02:42 PM
It really is disturbing how reluctant a lot of the public is to step in & do the right thing. They preach a lot of love, peace, & tolerance bullshit, but when it comes time to actually help out your fellow man, they usually fail to pony up.

Well, there was the guy in Memphis who used the officer's radio to call for help. Sadly there have always been fewer that would stand up and do something than there are "bystanders'.

41magfan
08-10-2015, 03:04 PM
And if the officer had taken care of business the headlines would be that a "white officer murdered an un armed black male."

They always taught us ever encounter you have on duty is a "man with a gun" encounter, because YOU brought the gun. So treat it as such.

Yep ..... and once he's got physical control of your gun it's certainly no longer a theoretical argument as he's now undeniably armed. Too bad he didn't have a 2nd (or 3rd) gun to remedy that situation. Most of the guys I worked with didn't carry BUGs and whenever a disarming would make headlines I would reiterate the reality that "some gun" beats "no gun" every time. Few ever heeded the advice.

SeriousStudent
08-10-2015, 05:41 PM

Very much this.

eb07
08-10-2015, 05:53 PM
Yet another "unarmed person who posed no threat"..... anyone think that the Michael Brown incident would have ended any differently or worse if officer Wilson hadn't done what he had to do? If this officer had shot that thug he would have been crucified by the press.

The Apprentice
08-10-2015, 09:06 PM
Hope the officer recovers. We coul always go show are support and start looting and burning local businesses to the ground. I'm sure he would feel better if I got a new tv.

Gadfly
08-10-2015, 10:04 PM
We coul always go show are support and start looting and burning local businesses to the ground. I'm sure he would feel better if I got a new tv.

If you want to show support for cops, you need to loot a Krispy Kreme, Dunkin, or Shipley's... Then take a large black coffee and spill some on the curb to "tip one for your fallen homies".

LSP552
08-11-2015, 07:45 AM

Yep, this PC bullshit will get someone killed. The key to this is being willing to fight to their death.

johncorey
08-11-2015, 01:09 PM
Sign of the times indeed. I suppose the silver lining is that detective "only" received a beat down with his service weapon, instead of being murdered with it. The asshole has been charged with attempted murder, and is in custody, so there is that upside as well.

voodoo_man
08-11-2015, 01:15 PM
Unfortunate and horrible.

PD Sgt.
08-11-2015, 09:27 PM
Yep, this PC bullshit will get someone killed. The key to this is being willing to fight to their death.

Exactly.

Paul
08-11-2015, 11:39 PM
http://www.wfaa.com/story/news/local/tarrant-county/2015/08/11/arlington-officer-fired--actions-before-shooting-teen/31495401/

This is what happens if you don't wait to get killed. Fired to appease the fringe elements of society.

Hopefully the officers in Arlington start following their call answering/response policy to the letter and see how people like that.

voodoo_man
08-12-2015, 05:47 AM
http://www.wfaa.com/story/news/local/tarrant-county/2015/08/11/arlington-officer-fired--actions-before-shooting-teen/31495401/

This is what happens if you don't wait to get killed. Fired to appease the fringe elements of society.

Hopefully the officers in Arlington start following their call answering/response policy to the letter and see how people like that.

I'd say he'd get his job back, but wasn't he still on probation?

LittleLebowski
08-12-2015, 08:10 AM

I hope that he gets his job back.

Glenn E. Meyer
08-12-2015, 10:21 AM
Does 'tactical perimeter' hold for active shooter incidents in Arlington? They have a big old university there and of course movie theaters. Hmm?

TGS
08-12-2015, 10:28 AM
Does 'tactical perimeter' hold for active shooter incidents in Arlington? They have a big old university there and of course movie theaters. Hmm?

Good point....but I think if your department wants to find a way to fuck you over, they'll find a way regardless.....Texas too, even with all the Texas tough guy talk on the gunternets.

Paul
08-12-2015, 10:47 AM
I doubt that he'll get his job back, from what I understand Arlington PD has no civil service and is at-will employment. He may not deserve his job back, he may not have any business being police, I don't know.

I don't see any legitimate way to wrap up an internal investigation in 4 days. Further if the statement the officer made in a criminal investigation was used as his statement in the "internal investigation", he should be able to assert Garrity over that statement, it may not be admissible in criminal court. If he gave an internal statement, he's under Garrity, he's basically off limits to the criminal investigation. Fuck it, lets make people happy and fire the officer, there may have been a legit criminal case there, but who cares.

It's fair weather policing, outcomes are what matter. I can guarantee you though, if the kid had been taken into custody without an incident, there would be pats on the back and commendations all around. Not a word would have been mentioned about following policy. If it had turned into a BP and SWAT resolved it peacefully 12 hours later when the kid sobered up, the Chief would have been talking shit about the officers for "not handling their business" and tying up all his manpower and messing up his precious response time metrics. Had the kid found a car with keys in it, and busted out of there and killed a citizen in a car wreck, the chief would be criticizing the officers for not pursuing a felon and taking control of the situation.

Paul
08-12-2015, 10:52 AM

The cops outside of Columbine High School were well programmed into following policy to the letter. Society doesn't get cops that are brave, daring and take risk only in situations that in hindsight turn out to be the worst of events. Either you have cops that have some sort of moral obligation to act and protect society, or you have glorified secretaries with guns.

TR675
08-12-2015, 10:56 AM
It seems beyond clear that a lot of administrations are in CYA mode.

LittleLebowski
08-12-2015, 11:03 AM
Depressing about the Arlington cop.

Glenn E. Meyer
08-12-2015, 11:05 AM
IIRC at Columbine, there were officers ready to enter but were explicitly stopped by the brass. It's written up in the book Columbine by David Cullen. Should they have disobeyed orders - that's complex.

I did have a local deputy chief I knew defend that decision as the first priority was to go home safely.

HCM
08-12-2015, 02:14 PM
I'd say he'd get his job back, but wasn't he still on probation?

He was still on probation. My understanding is he was not a lateral hire. A 49 year old rookie is unusual.

voodoo_man
08-12-2015, 02:24 PM
He was still on probation. My understanding is he was not a lateral hire. A 49 year old rookie is unusual.

Very unusual.

If he was in fact on probation he's done in LE.

Glenn E. Meyer
08-12-2015, 07:36 PM
He was a hair dresser before and his co-workers liked him. Said he wanted to be an officer.

Paul
08-13-2015, 10:14 AM

Arlington PD has low pay for a DFW area agency that requires a bachelors degree. Since they have uncompetitive wages, they have drop standards somewhere to find qualified candidates for the job. Age, especially on the older side, is probably one of the safer areas to wave standards.

BaiHu
08-13-2015, 03:49 PM
That led to "cascading consequences" that resulted in the fatal shooting, Johnson said.

Guy breaking car windows, B&E a business and it's the officer going in that resulted in the fatal shooting? I'm not saying the kid needed to be shot, but the kid certainly needed to be listening to the commands of a responding officer as he was clearly doing something illegal.

Paul
08-14-2015, 10:27 AM
Guy breaking car windows, B&E a business and it's the officer going in that resulted in the fatal shooting? I'm not saying the kid needed to be shot, but the kid certainly needed to be listening to the commands of a responding officer as he was clearly doing something illegal.

But, but, but, it's just a property crime, and it's just a small business that's getting trashed. According to the all-knowing "accreditation" types, property crimes do not warrant any sort of serious police response.

When the suspect told officers that he was planning on taking another car, it's not just a property crime anymore, it's gotten to point to where the suspect has articulated his intent to flee the scene, in a manner that cannot be contained by the police, with a weapon (yes, cars are weapons) and he's in a place where he can reasonable carry out his intentions. At a minimum if he escapes in a car he's going to be driving where he has access to a public street, and he's in an impaired mental state.

Back to the original post

http://www.cnn.com/2015/08/13/us/alabama-birmingham-police-detective-pistol-whipped/index.html

According to police union spokesman, pistol whipped officer did not shoot for fear of political backlash.

HCM
08-14-2015, 10:39 AM
http://www.leoaffairs.com/news/dashcam-video-shows-shocking-moment-after-ois/

Another indication of where respect for the police is in 2015 America.

In the attached video the officer drops his cell phone as he chases an armed carjacking suspect. After they go around the corner they exchanged gunfire and both are hit. as the officer is lying on the ground bleeding, some little hood rat runs up and steals his cell phone.

Glenn E. Meyer
08-14-2015, 10:40 AM
Read that the police chief's analysis was that since there was no immediate danger that necessitated a single officer response (as in an active shooter), the officer should have waited for containment and back up.

Whether that will be found to be the case, just saying what I read.