PDA

View Full Version : Blade-Tech/Looper Hybrid holster first impressions.

Tamara
09-10-2011, 07:34 AM
The Blade-Tech/Looper Hybrid is marketed as a pancake-style holster that ships with a second set of belt loops that allow it to be used as an IWB rig.

It's overall shape and dimensions are similar to the Versa-Max II which I normally carry, and so I figured the adjustment period would be brief. Oops.

First: A holster this wide works as an IWB in leather because, no matter how stiff that horsehide is, it has some "give" to conform to your body. In the leather-over-kydex Hybrid, there is no real give, and so it's like trying to stuff a slightly-curved dinnerplate into your trousers. This may work if your waistline is approximately eight feet in diameter, which mine isn't.

Second: Dear holstermakers, If your product includes more than one detachable part or replaceable or adjustable component, you should include at least a simple instruction sheet, perhaps with a line drawing. It would enhance the customer experience ever so. Kthxbye!

Third: There are no such thing as belt loops that 'fit 1.5"-to-1.75" belts'. Either they fit 1.5" belts, or they fit 1.75" belts. Plus, the extra loops made for IWB use are full of fail; they flop around on the belt and allow the holster to pop a good three-quarters of an inch out of the trousers before releasing the pistol.

On the upside, the kydex lining gives a clean release, and the adjustable tension screw lets you determine how much retention the holster offers. When used in conjunction with my 1.5" Milt Sparks belt, the OWB loops grip firmly and hold the holster stable.

Verdict: While comfortable, stable and adequate as an OWB pancake holster, the Hybrid is made of lose and fail as an IWB rig. Avoid.

ToddG
09-10-2011, 07:49 PM
Hmmm... I thought there was already a holster called the Looper out there.

Tamara
09-10-2011, 08:30 PM
Hmmm... I thought there was already a holster called the Looper out there.
Since Looper (http://www.looperlawenforcement.com/info.html) has been in business since 1938, I think they get precedence on the name. ;)

ToddG
09-10-2011, 08:39 PM
Touche.

Dagga Boy
09-10-2011, 10:32 PM
Since Looper (http://www.looperlawenforcement.com/info.html) has been in business since 1938, I think they get precedence on the name. ;)

You are fast becoming my favorite person on this forum.............nice retort :D.

JDM
09-10-2011, 10:40 PM
Game. Set. Match. Court. Parking lot. Tax free royalties.