PDA

View Full Version : Is this considered good rear sight fit? M&P Shield

Nephrology
08-08-2015, 05:13 PM
Greetings -

So, after an ugly attempt at a DIY sight install on my M&P shield, the rear sight would drift out of the dovetail after protracted fire (even with set screw installed). Front sight install was just as ugly but seems to be staying put so I am not worried about it.

Ordered a replacement rear sight and took it to a local gunsmith to install. Figured this was something I didn't need to spend too much time shopping around for. However, after taking the gun home and looking at it, I got a rear sight fit that looks like this:

http://i.imgur.com/5bjJsCF.jpg

Sights in question are ameriglo I-dot pros.

Though I failed to capture it with my camera, there is a gap between the rear sight and the slide of approx 0.3mm or so (according to my highly scientific printer paper test, assuming 1 sheet of printer paper is 0.1mm thick). There is also a slight gap between the sight and the bottom of the dovetail that I can see when I hold the gun up to the light, but it is very small. Not able to fit a single piece of printer paper in it.

So, my question is... is this considered acceptable fit for the rear sight? I haven't had the chance to test fire it yet but hope to do so tomorrow. I most certainly will want to vet it before I carry it. Let me know your thoughts.

RJ
08-08-2015, 06:15 PM
Hm yeah I dunno if it helps, but:

I was able to slide one (max) piece of printer paper under the rear sight above the slide (right?) on my stock rear of my 2013 build M&P full size 9.

So three might be a bit large of a gap?

Rich

drummer
08-08-2015, 07:15 PM
Unfortunately I dont have any experience with Amerglos. 10-8 sights are ny usual go-tos.

There are gaps on the factory sights if you hold them up to some light because there are pressure points on each side of the dovetail that put pressure on the slide.

Ive got the 10-8 rear on mine. There is no gap but theyre made oversize.

I cant automatically say that your smiff screwed up uf thats how Ameriglos usually fit MPs or Shields.

fwrun
08-08-2015, 10:43 PM
A couple of my Ameriglo rears have a small gap like you describe on my Glocks. Based on how well they've worked for me, I wouldn't be too worried about it.