PDA

View Full Version : My Second USPSA match yesterday

Shipwreck
08-07-2015, 09:26 AM
I went to my 2nd USPSA match last night... Had fun....But man, it was a late night. It was about 11:15pm by the time we got back from Houston, and it was midnight by the time I got to bed. 6am came too early :(

I did better this time around over my very first time last month.... In my division, I came in 3rd of 8 (production). I'm happy with that. Overall, I was 13 of 25, but with the guys in limited with more rounds in the mag and lighter triggers, I don't think that's bad. Obviously, I like my standing results in my division more :P - and I think it means more.

In stage 2 of the 4 stages, I came in 1st in production. That's cool.

I don't get to go very often, unfortunately. I rarely can get away on a Thur evening because of my son. I'm honestly not going to show placement results (although, obviously when I place decently, that's kinda fun in itself). I'm really going to get to get some practice with multiple targets and a little bit of pressure. No range where I live at lets you do that kind of shooting to increase your skill. So, I'm really doing it just for that.

I love the Warren 2 dot sights I have on the Glock 17 I am using for the matches. I wish they made those sights for a Beretta 92 and my HK P2000, but they don't. Too bad I have such a hangup for DA/SA on a defensive gun, because the Gen 4 G17 shoots well with those sights.

olstyn
08-07-2015, 11:18 AM
Congrats on the stage wins! Placing well at a match always feel good. I definitely agree that your standing within Production is a much more direct comparison of skill than the overall, especially on field courses where the folks shooting Limited and Open have to make at most 1 reload vs your 3 or more. Even if your reloads are smoking fast, they're still extra tasks that Limited and Open shooters just get to skip.

It's surprising to me that your match wasn't better attended. I guess I don't know how big the Houston area is, but my usual Thursday night match gets 60+ shooters most weeks.

Shipwreck
08-07-2015, 01:20 PM
Thanks.

Houston is pretty big - I would imagine there are probably many IDPA groups around Houston. This is the only one I know about, though, as I know some of the people who attend. There were 20 people when I went the first time a month ago, and 25 last night.

I am glad there weren't more shooters. There are only 2 bays at this indoor range - we'd be there forever then :p

LittleLebowski
08-07-2015, 01:53 PM
Good shooting! We need more folks out there competing.

Sadmin
08-07-2015, 02:18 PM
Good shooting Ship - your north of Houston right? Check out Thunder Tactical in Conroe, they have a solid IDPA outdoor setup and some good competition.

olstyn
08-07-2015, 04:05 PM
I am glad there weren't more shooters. There are only 2 bays at this indoor range - we'd be there forever then :p

Attendance is a double-edged sword. On some level, if it's you and 2 other guys, you might as well just shoot some drills and call it a practice session, but of course if you're waiting too long for your turn to shoot, that's not fun either. 10-15 shooters/squad seems to be a pretty good sweet spot, so 2 bays with 25 shooters total is probably a good balance. The 20+ per squad that I'm used to does tend to involve a fair amount of waiting. Thankfully the group I usually end up shooting with is pretty on the ball when it comes to scoring and pasting quickly and keeping things moving. That makes all the difference.

Shipwreck
08-07-2015, 05:37 PM
Good shooting Ship - your north of Houston right? Check out Thunder Tactical in Conroe, they have a solid IDPA outdoor setup and some good competition.

I am in College Station, actually.

I might check that out one day. But the one I go to at the Shiloh range has a few people I know from the Texas Gun FOrum I am admin of. So, I already know people there. That helps - as I can ask questions since I a new to the whole thing.

Shipwreck
08-07-2015, 05:38 PM
Attendance is a double-edged sword. On some level, if it's you and 2 other guys, you might as well just shoot some drills and call it a practice session, but of course if you're waiting too long for your turn to shoot, that's not fun either. 10-15 shooters/squad seems to be a pretty good sweet spot, so 2 bays with 25 shooters total is probably a good balance. The 20+ per squad that I'm used to does tend to involve a fair amount of waiting. Thankfully the group I usually end up shooting with is pretty on the ball when it comes to scoring and pasting quickly and keeping things moving. That makes all the difference.

We were later this time because the courses were more complex than they were last time. So, they took longer to set up.

fixer
08-08-2015, 05:17 AM
Way to go Ship.

Glad to see you keep up the USPSA matches.

I'm jealous of your placement--even with my 92, at my local match, I struggle to just get to middle of the pack.

Shipwreck
08-08-2015, 07:56 AM
Thanks Fixer.

Like I said at the Beretta Forum, when I get my slide back from Tooltech (for night sight installation) for my latest 92FS, I may try a 92FS next time - just to try it.

But, since I qualify for the blue label Glocks with my job, I picked up that G17 for just over $400 - only to use for competing. And, those 2 dot Warren sights work wonders on that G17. I don't use the Glock for anything else but competition. I figured that if I used a DA/SA for competing, I might be at a slight disadvantage because almost no one else is using one there. There is one guy shooting a Stoeger Cougar, but he is coming in last or almost last every time.

I gotta try it at least once, though.

joshs
08-08-2015, 08:04 AM
Thanks Fixer.

Like I said at the Beretta Forum, when I get my slide back from Tooltech (for night sight installation) for my latest 92FS, I may try a 92FS next time - just to try it.

But, since I qualify for the blue label Glocks with my job, I picked up that G17 for just over $400 - only to use for competing. And, those 2 dot Warren sights work wonders on that G17. I don't use the Glock for anything else but competition. I figured that if I used a DA/SA for competing, I might be at a slight disadvantage because almost no one else is using one there. There is one guy shooting a Stoeger Cougar, but he is coming in last or almost last every time.

I gotta try it at least once, though.

TDA is not a disadvantage. Many of the most popular guns in Production Division are TDA.

HopetonBrown
08-08-2015, 04:57 PM
Congratulations on getting out there and shooting.

Overall, I was 13 of 25, but with the guys in limited with more rounds in the mag and lighter triggers, I don't think that's bad.

I don't believe there are trigger weight minimums in Production.

I figured that if I used a DA/SA for competing, I might be at a slight disadvantage because almost no one else is using one there.

USPSA Production has been absolutely taken over by TDA guns like the CZ Accu-Shadow and Tanfoglio Stock II.

45dotACP
08-12-2015, 06:20 PM
Awesome to see someone get out to shoot! It's a heck of a lot of fun!

I'd say throw a 13 lb hammer spring in that Beretta and rock on! I'm in love with the trigger on my Beretta after I changed the spring.