PDA

View Full Version : Bounty Hunters Attempt to Arrest Phoenix's Chief of Police

Chance
08-06-2015, 02:13 PM
The posse included an 11-year-old girl with a toy gun belt. Reuters, via Fark.com (http://www.fark.com/go/8807696):

A bounty hunter was arrested after gathering a posse and mistakenly trying to raid the home of Phoenix's chief of police, officials said on Wednesday. Brent Farley, 43, and 10 others surrounded Chief Joseph Yahner's home around 10 p.m. local time on Tuesday, thinking they were cornering an Oklahoma fugitive wanted on a drug charge, the department said in a statement.

A video of the incident provided by police showed Chief Yahner, clad only in his underwear, stepping outside his home with a baton in his hand and approaching the bounty hunters

Can't make this stuff up.

Dagga Boy
08-06-2015, 02:18 PM
My house would not be a baton, and underwear would be a bonus. The headline would read Bounty hunters apprehended by naked ex cop with assault rifle and wearing a Viking helmet......:cool:

I am in Arizona right now and the video from the news last night was almost comical as to how bad it was.

Luke
08-06-2015, 03:37 PM
It's a miracle nobody got shot. If people pull up in my yard yelling and screaming I'm not casually walking out..

Edit: who is the guy at the end of the video that they show a picture of real quick?

mc1911
08-06-2015, 03:40 PM
It's clowns like these who drag down the names of guys like Bobby Sixkiller and Reno Raines.

BehindBlueI's
08-06-2015, 03:49 PM
They asked for tips on social media?

I'm guessing someone set them up and they were dumb enough to not do any followup before acting on it.

WOLFIE
08-06-2015, 03:52 PM
It's clowns like these who drag down the names of guys like Bobby Sixkiller and Reno Raines.

You are so awesome.

Trooper224
08-06-2015, 05:23 PM
It's been my experience over the years that "bounty hunters" are one small step above the pond scum they're trying to apprehend. Things may not have ended as peacefully at my house.

gtmtnbiker98
08-06-2015, 05:25 PM
My house would not be a baton, and underwear would be a bonus. The headline would read Bounty hunters apprehended by naked ex cop with assault rifle and wearing a Viking helmet......:cool:

I am in Arizona right now and the video from the news last night was almost comical as to how bad it was.Dude, get that image out of my mind, I don't want it!

Dagga Boy
08-06-2015, 05:37 PM
It's been my experience over the years that "bounty hunters" are one small step above the pond scum they're trying to apprehend. Things may not have ended as peacefully at my house.

I don't know about you, but I always ran records checks on bounty hunters when I was called to help them. I worked with one very professional crew of guys over the years, the rest were total clown shoes and I usually ended up with a warrant arrest on the bail "agents" along with the crook. Two for one. The best was one who was wearing all his "tactical gear", and when I booked him at county jail Mr. Stud was wearing a very pretty set of bra and panties under his gear......it's like Walmartians with guns.

Dagga Boy
08-06-2015, 05:38 PM
Dude, get that image out of my mind, I don't want it!

Like a visual Flashbang.

Trooper224
08-06-2015, 06:12 PM
http://nypost.com/2015/08/06/bounty-hunter-arrested-after-mistakenly-trying-to-raid-police-chiefs-home/

Trooper224
08-06-2015, 06:12 PM
I don't know about you, but I always ran records checks on bounty hunters when I was called to help them. I worked with one very professional crew of guys over the years, the rest were total clown shoes and I usually ended up with a warrant arrest on the bail "agents" along with the crook. Two for one. The best was one who was wearing all his "tactical gear", and when I booked him at county jail Mr. Stud was wearing a very pretty set of bra and panties under his gear......it's like Walmartians with guns.

Stop living my life. :D

TGS
08-06-2015, 10:25 PM
On a serious note, lets use this as a learning opportunity:

What legal authority do bounty hunters have, and how far does it extend?

Can they enter your home, or forcefully remove you from your vehicle?

Do they have to ID themselves, and does ID'ing themselves as bounty hunters invoke any legal protections in the performance of their duty, even when in mistake of fact? Example: they mistake your identity and try to attack/detain you. You shoot them, as you are in fear of being kidnapped. Doing such with cops would clearly be bad, as it's understood they have the authority to apprehend you, and mistake of fact does not give you justification to defend yourself. What about bounty hunters?

Kingsfield
08-07-2015, 12:40 AM
TGS:

The law governing bounty hunting is entirely outside the scope of those matters I have previously examined. However, this thread has raised a question more interesting than the research I otherwise would be doing, so I spent a few minutes looking at sources discussing the law.

I understand that bounty hunting is regulated by statute in a number of states. The scope of a bounty hunter's authority will, therefore, vary among states. Some of that variation is evidently substantial.

I did a brief search for cases addressing this matter. The one at the following link, State v. Burhans, a case from Kansas, decided in 2004, discusses a number of cases (and jurisdictions that take different approaches), and seemed to provide as concise a discussion that I could find in a publicly-available source, so it may be of particular interest (albeit one that does not address all the issues of interest):

http://www.kscourts.org/cases-and-opinions/opinions/supct/2004/20040514/90441.htm

I can say I found the case from Alabama that the court discusses (Livingston v. Browder) somewhat surprising.

Because this is not an area of law with which I am already familiar, I will avoid directly summarizing the principles myself, which would necessarily require addressing the law in other jurisdictions, as well as any developments in the law subsequent to 2004. Nevertheless, I am hopeful this is of some interest.

Hambo
08-07-2015, 07:09 AM

The only thing I'd be showing and armed crowd rushing my house is muzzle flash. Bounty hunters weren't all that common where I worked, but I do remember one group of them. They tried to grab somedude and failed, after which he armed himself and barricaded himself inside his house. Neighbors called patrol because of the disturbance of unidentified bozos attacking somedude, patrol called us, and we had to talk the guy out.

BehindBlueI's
08-07-2015, 08:02 AM
On a serious note, lets use this as a learning opportunity:

What legal authority do bounty hunters have, and how far does it extend? I'm going to assume we are talking about bondsman. Their authority in reference to a "client" who has skipped bond will vary by state.

Can they enter your home, or forcefully remove you from your vehicle? Fact dependent. They have the authority to arrest their target, which would include entering the home or removing from a vehicle. Use of force against someone who is not the target likely varies by state, by for my state will result in the arrest of the bondsman if the action was not taken in self defense. Entering someone else's address to look for the target can be done with consent, but not by force. The bondsman's "arrest authority" does not extend past those of any other private citizen except when dealing with their own "client".

Do they have to ID themselves, and does ID'ing themselves as bounty hunters invoke any legal protections in the performance of their duty, even when in mistake of fact? Example: they mistake your identity and try to attack/detain you. You shoot them, as you are in fear of being kidnapped. Doing such with cops would clearly be bad, as it's understood they have the authority to apprehend you, and mistake of fact does not give you justification to defend yourself. What about bounty hunters? That's going to be real fact dependent. Are you really in fear of being kidnapped, and is that fear reasonable? Or are you in fear of a false arrest, which is a different animal altogether. Can you shoot a store's loss prevention officer if they try to detain you for shoplifting but you know you didn't shop lift? If you shoot someone you're going to be judged on what you reasonably knew at the time and if that information led to a reasonable fear of imminent serious bodily injury or was necessary to prevent the commission of a forcible felony (know your own state laws) so be prepared to articulate that if you decide lethal force was the best option.

Chance
08-07-2015, 08:13 AM
What legal authority do bounty hunters have, and how far does it extend? Can they enter your home, or forcefully remove you from your vehicle? Do they have to ID themselves, and does ID'ing themselves as bounty hunters invoke any legal protections in the performance of their duty, even when in mistake of fact?

Here's some of the legalese (https://www.txdps.state.tx.us/rsd/psb/news/bounty_hunter.htm) from Texas, including the execution of an arrest warrant specifically (http://www.statutes.legis.state.tx.us/Docs/OC/htm/OC.1702.htm#1702.3867). I'd have to get Kingsfield to translate it for me.

LSP972
08-07-2015, 09:07 AM
The headline would read Bounty hunters apprehended by naked ex cop with assault rifle and wearing a Viking helmet......:cool:

What??? Wait... I thought an 870 was part of that... ensemble...

Oh, I get it. Bunch of heathens, as opposed to one or two or three. So you're going for more tactical firepower...:D

NEPAKevin
08-07-2015, 10:15 AM
... Mr. Stud was wearing a very pretty set of bra and panties under his gear.....

So he was man hunting and wanted to look fierce! <gay air snap >

Not everyone can pull off the commando Viking look you know.

HCM
08-07-2015, 12:23 PM

This ^^^^^. I've arrested a bounty Hunter for impersonating a federal agent.or more correctly myself and another agent did all the work and our internal affairs unit arrested him. Yall know how that goes. We tried to make a kidnapping case as well because the woman and child he illegally arrested were not even on bond but the US attorney wasn't buying it. The same guy was also arresting people on bond and ransoming them back to their families for cash instead of bringing them in. Once I retire it'll be a good story for the rollcall stories thread.

HCM
08-07-2015, 12:29 PM
The basic authority for bountyhunters comes from an 1872 US Supreme Court case Taylor v. Taintor.

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Taylor_v._Taintor

Here is a good overview from the American Bar Association:

http://www.americanbar.org/content/newsletter/publications/gp_solo_magazine_home/gp_solo_magazine_index/reininginbountyhunters.html

http://www.law.du.edu/documents/denver-university-law-review/v87-3/Royval.pdf

RoyGBiv
08-07-2015, 10:18 PM

I am in Arizona right now and the video from the news last night was almost comical as to how bad it was.

I was eating solo in a restaurant last night when I read this post.
When I quit laughing, I noticed that all the other diners were looking at me.

I soooo wanted to explain it to them...

Lost River
08-07-2015, 10:46 PM
When you have multiple loud and aggressive men pounding on your door, you answer with just a baton and actually walk outside?

Screw that.

The wife would be on the phone with 911, and barricading herself in with the little ones while I, more likely than not, would be getting ready to lay a wall of hate into whomever entered and darkened my door frame.

That is precisely why I have a short barrel Browning Auto 5 with an extended tube, not to mention other strategically placed items.

And God forbid some dumbass actually has the audacity to bleed on my Redheaded wife's tile floors... That is when it would get ugly. :)

PPGMD
08-08-2015, 09:02 AM
This ^^^^^. I've arrested a bounty Hunter for impersonating a federal agent.or more correctly myself and another agent did all the work and our internal affairs unit arrested him. Yall know how that goes. We tried to make a kidnapping case as well because the woman and child he illegally arrested were not even on bond but the US attorney wasn't buying it. The same guy was also arresting people on bond and ransoming them back to their families for cash instead of bringing them in. Once I retire it'll be a good story for the rollcall stories thread.

Arrested on such a small charge, when the douche bag is no better than the cartel kidnappers in Mexico?

PPGMD
08-08-2015, 09:06 AM
nevermind

HCM
08-08-2015, 10:33 AM
Arrested on such a small charge, when the douche bag is no better than the cartel kidnappers in Mexico?

It's a very long story. Sometimes you have to take what you can get. Given our Miami office and our Los Angeles internal affairs office both previously unsuccessful putting cases on this guy, I think we did the best we could.

Drang
08-08-2015, 04:11 PM
Sometimes you have to take what you can get.
"Alfonse Capone, you are under arrest for failure to pay taxes..."

Malamute
08-08-2015, 04:20 PM

Was just thinking about that.

HCM
08-08-2015, 05:22 PM

Exactly.