PDA

View Full Version : Forgot to degrease before applying thread locker

Mitchell, Esq.
09-09-2011, 01:43 PM
I forgot to degrease before applying thread locker to my Big Dot front sight.

Their was a little bit of oil on the inside of the slide, but the sight was fresh out of the package.

Did I well and truly fuck up (I mean other than using the XS sights...but I like them with an Ameriglo .180 U notch rear), or it not that bad and I'll just have to degrease/reapply thread locker if it works loose?

Al T.
09-09-2011, 01:54 PM
IME, they don't get loose, they disappear from the slide at a high rate of speed right after you fire a round. :(

I would disassemble, degrease and apply thread locker. Beats spending 30 minutes looking for that damn front sight. :cool:

Mitchell, Esq.
09-09-2011, 02:07 PM
Yeah...

The red thread locker is probably dry by now...that's gonna be an issue...

VolGrad
09-09-2011, 02:17 PM
I've never in my life degreased anything prior to applying Loctite. I'm not saying that's right but I've never bothered. I've also never had a screw come loose after applying Loctite; red, green, blue, or purple. YMMV.

John Ralston
09-09-2011, 02:38 PM
If you try to remove the screw without heat and it won't budge, you are good to go.

Sent from my Droid using Tapatalk

LittleLebowski
09-09-2011, 09:06 PM
Hopefully the lubrication will do its job and you'll be sporting some Warren two dots in no time :D

Mitchell, Esq.
09-10-2011, 09:12 PM
Hopefully the lubrication will do its job and you'll be sporting some Warren two dots in no time :D

In darkness, I already have that.

In low light, I have a big dot.

In good light, I have a big dot matched with a rear giving me much more feedback than the standard XS rear.