PDA

View Full Version : Shooting the DAK

TheNewbie
08-04-2015, 07:23 PM
I have recently been issued a DAK P226 .357sig (no personal weapons allowed). After qualifying I found that the trigger is really not that bad. I know most here like the LEM better, but I found that the consistent pull and lack of "wall" at the end made it easier for me to shoot.

So some questions......

Mine came with the E2 grip system. Even though I have small hands, this grip is too small for me. It allows the gun to move to much during recoil and I ride the slide release.

What grips do you all prefer?

Can you get extended capacity magazines for the .357sig/40?

Is there anything special about the dry fire practice or one the range shooting practice I should pay attention to with the DAK?

Do you any of you shoot the DAK often?

Lon
08-04-2015, 07:34 PM
I have small hands and replaced the E2 grips on my 229 with Hogue Extreme aluminum grips. Works better for me.

LtDave
08-04-2015, 08:59 PM
Mecgar makes +2 mags. They have worked flawlessly in my P229s. I have a set of Nill wood grips on my P229 DAK. They make them specifically for the DAK guns without a cutout for the decocker. They are ever so slightly larger than the standard plastic, not E2, grips.

HCM
08-04-2015, 09:19 PM
My agency issues the P229 DAK and I carried one from 2008 until 2013. I still qualify on it to maintain proficiency since it's our basic issue. I shoot the DAK well. The big limitation of the DAK is it is slower than most other trigger systems with the exception of a true long pull double action only. Like the LEM it is a good people / threat management trigger.

I would recommend you run the DAK like a traditional double action revolver trigger, letting the trigger all the way out instead of trying to shoot to the reset. As you may know already, the DAK actually has two reset points, and if you shoot the DAK from the first of the two reset points to get a noticeably heavier trigger pull. Trying to find the right reset point is frustrating, especially when running the trigger at speed, hence my recommendation to simply run the trigger all the way out like a revolver trigger .

I am not at all a fan of the E2 grip. It feels good but it does not provide good control of the weapon when actually shooting in my experience. If swapping grips is an option I would recommend the Hogue G-10 grips or the Hogue aluminum. I personally prefer the G 10. SIG has factory models with both the aluminum and G 10 Hogue grips , so if your agency doesn't allow "aftermarket" parts you can honestly say they are a factory SIG part. If there's a question you can just buy the ones with the SIG logo website or from Bissell pro shop.

BigDaddy
08-04-2015, 09:31 PM
I have to disagree. I am much more competent when I utilize the first reset rather than allowing it to go all the way out to the second reset. I'm faster and I get better hits doing it that way. YMMV.

GJM
08-04-2015, 09:40 PM
I really like the DAK, especially for low prob shots, as you get a very wheel gun like surprise break. When I ran Bill drills with a slew of guns, in response to some question of the day back in the winter, the DAK turned in the slowest Bill drill times, and by a significant margin. My shooting advice with the DAK would be to be patient. :)

MecGar makes 226 +2 .40/.357 mags for the 226. I don't like the shape or texture of the E2 grips. I have run Hogue, and my friend Taadski, textures stock grips with a nice result.

ReverendMeat
08-04-2015, 09:48 PM
My agency issues the P229 DAK and I carried one from 2008 until 2013. I still qualify on it to maintain proficiency since it's our basic issue. I shoot the DAK well. The big limitation of the DAK is it is slower than most other trigger systems with the exception of a true long pull double action only. Like the LEM it is a good people / threat management trigger.

I would recommend you run the DAK like a traditional double action revolver trigger, letting the trigger all the way out instead of trying to shoot to the reset. As you may know already, the DAK actually has two reset points, and if you shoot the DAK from the first of the two reset points to get a noticeably heavier trigger pull. Trying to find the right reset point is frustrating, especially when running the trigger at speed, hence my recommendation to simply run the trigger all the way out like a revolver trigger .

I am not at all a fan of the E2 grip. It feels good but it does not provide good control of the weapon when actually shooting in my experience. If swapping grips is an option I would recommend the Hogue G-10 grips or the Hogue aluminum. I personally prefer the G 10. SIG has factory models with both the aluminum and G 10 Hogue grips , so if your agency doesn't allow "aftermarket" parts you can honestly say they are a factory SIG part. If there's a question you can just buy the ones with the SIG logo website or from Bissell pro shop.

I was going to post my thoughts but this about covers it. I prefer the G10 Hogues ("chain link" pattern, specifically) and would shoot DAK as I would my DA revolvers.

HCM
08-04-2015, 09:48 PM
I have to disagree. I am much more competent when I utilize the first reset rather than allowing it to go all the way out to the second reset. I'm faster and I get better hits doing it that way. YMMV.

Do you have an older DAK with the standard mainspring or one of the newer ones with the heavier, red main spring?

A small number of the early DAKs had trigger reset issues and SIG went to the heavier, red colored mainspring to guarantee reliability.

A highly skilled shooter may be able to run the reset on DAK but having run A firearms training program for 600 officers, we got the best results running it like a revolver.

psalms144.1
08-05-2015, 09:31 AM
I'm with HCM. The overwhelming majority of the folks that I have who struggle with our pathetically easy qualification are shooting issued DAKs and "riding the reset." A distressing number of them didn't even know there were two resets. When I get them to let the trigger all the way out (flip and press), qualification scores increase across the board.

No doubt someone who can muscle through the first (is it 10#?) reset can shoot them faster, but most shooters I interact with don't fall into that category.

HCM
08-05-2015, 09:35 AM
I'm with HCM. The overwhelming majority of the folks that I have who struggle with our pathetically easy qualification are shooting issued DAKs and "riding the reset." A distressing number of them didn't even know there were two resets. When I get them to let the trigger all the way out (flip and press), qualification scores increase across the board.

No doubt someone who can muscle through the first (is it 10#?) reset can shoot them faster, but most shooters I interact with don't fall into that category.

I believe the first reset is 10 pounds with the red mainspring, and about eight with the original mainspring.

ssb
08-05-2015, 09:38 AM
The Hogue G10s solved the shifting issue with the E2s for me. I liked the piranha texture.

TheNewbie
08-17-2015, 10:15 PM
Thanks for all the advice!

I ordered some G10s. I have a safariland 6360, but will probably end up getting the 7360 holster.

Just wish it was in 9mm. Much cheaper to actually practice with.

Is there such a thing as true drop in 9mm barrels?

HCM
08-17-2015, 11:33 PM

I ordered some G10s. I have a safariland 6360, but will probably end up getting the 7360 holster.

There are two options to shoot 9 mm from your 40. SIG offers factory caliber conversion kits. These consist of a complete slide assembly in 9 mm and a magazine. Option number two is a specific 40/357 to 9 mm conversion barrel.' Top gun supply carries the Barsto conversion barrels. I have a Barstow conversion barrel in a Sig P229R. It dropped in and has run 100%, even using the 40 caliber request spring and 40/357 magazines. If I were carrying it I would probably use a 9 mm spring and magazines but for a range set up it's fine. The Barsto conversion barrel's usually drop in. You can send it in to Barsto for fitting if required.

There is at least one other company, EFK fire dragon which makes a drop in 40 to 9mm conversion barrel.I have no experience with them but their feedback over on the S I G for him is positive.

TheNewbie
08-30-2015, 12:56 PM
Ok, on to the next question.

What would be a good Off duty weapon since I am carry the P226 DAK.

Looking at the P224 DAK 9mm and P239 DAK 9mm. Maybe even a P290?

HCM
08-30-2015, 02:50 PM

Personally, I would do the P239 over the P224. I don't have a lot of time with the P224, but my agency issues P239 DAK's in 40 as secondary weapons. Both the P224 and the P239 are a little too big and heavy for pocket or ankle carry. When it comes to belt carry, especially inside the waistband, the longer and slimmer P239 is much easier to carry. I've also personally found the P239 "hits above its weight "in terms of Shootability in that it's a compact which I can shoot as well as a full-size gun, even having XXL size hands. Because it's flat the P239 could work as a backup gun in a vest mounted holster. I also believe one of the members here , Taadski, carries one as a backup in uniform in a tuckable appendix holster.

One of the knocks on the P239 is that you're getting a single stack gun for the weight of something like a Glock 19. Another off-duty carry option might be a Sig P320C. It's not much smaller than the P239 but it is noticeably lighter and the rolling trigger on the 320 C is not that different than the DAK. It is certainly much closer to the DAK than something like an M&P or a Glock. There is also a 320 SC Which is similar in size to the 224 but significantly lighter.

TheNewbie
08-30-2015, 05:58 PM
I figured the p320 striker fired trigger would be way different. Guess I was wrong.

Ill look at the P239 9mm. Though I carry .357 sig, I'm looking at 9mm options. I have a PPS but the triggers are so different.

Would a p2000sk light Lem be an option?

HCM
08-30-2015, 06:19 PM
I figured the p320 striker fired trigger would be way different. Guess I was wrong.

Ill look at the P239 9mm. Though I carry .357 sig, I'm looking at 9mm options. I have a PPS but the triggers are so different.

Would a p2000sk light Lem be an option?

The P2000 SK could be an option. I have one and I shoot it unusually well for a small gun, however prior to us issuing the P229 DAK, I had a USP compact LEM as my primary duty and off-duty carry gun for eight years so I might be a little biased. Try to get to a rental range which has an LEM gun of some type. The LEM trigger seems to be a love it or hate it proposition.

The P239 9 millimeter is a good choice. However if your department provides you 357 SIG ammo, you may want to consider getting a P239 in 357 sig. and a Barsto 9 mm conversion barrel for practice. You will probably need some 9 mm magazines as well but I've had great luck with the Barsto conversion barrel in my P229's.

TheNewbie
08-30-2015, 07:33 PM
Yea I don't get enough to make it worth buying .357 sig. Plus I think the 9mm P239 is a tad bit smaller than in 357/40.

I am going to hit the local stores and check out a P239 and maybe also a p290.

taadski
08-31-2015, 02:08 PM

I'd suggest another 226 DAK. :p

Re compact Sigs: The 239s are some of the best shooting compact pistols I've ever shot as far as minimizing felt recoil and mimicking the ergonomics and shootability of their larger brethren. I've spent some time shooting a 224, side by side with the 239 and to be honest, they're more similar than they are different. I can get more of my hand on the 239 because the grip is longer and consequently, I think I shoot it a touch better. But I like the fact that the 224 has a more similar grip profile to my full sized guns, and I really like the mag commonality thing in the role of a back up. FWIW though, the only time I really carry the compact sized gun is as a BUG on duty; I still very much prefer to carry a full sized gun as a primary at work or not.

I suspect you'll really like the G10s. Good choice.

Re conversions…
I own a 239 is in .40. I purchased a Barsto barrel for it in 9mm because we issue and carry 9mms and I wanted to be able to take advantage of the free ammo situation. My "drop in" version required some fitting, fwiw, but it has run very well since. I still carry it in .40 configuration though and use the 9mm for practice primarily.

Another off-duty carry option might be a Sig P320C. It's not much smaller than the P239 but it is noticeably lighter and the rolling trigger on the 320 C is not that different than the DAK. It is certainly much closer to the DAK than something like an M&P or a Glock. There is also a 320 SC Which is similar in size to the 224 but significantly lighter.

I really like the 320 concept. I've been vetting a full size for a bunch of months now going back and forth with my tried and true DA/SA variants. I actually find the 320 trigger much more similar to a short throw striker (Glock, M&P, VP9, etc…) than a DA style like the DAK trigger. Short throw, crisper break, sans much roll, short reset, etc… A P250 (I know, I know) is much more in the DAK wheelhouse than the 320 IMO.

If I was looking for a BUG specific pistol for a Sig DAK, I'd be VERY tempted to look at some of the Kahrs. The DA trigger and lengthy reset is actually fairly similar. And their size/weight/accuracy all make them very attractive. I know some have had issues getting them to run well, but I work with 6 or 7 fellas who shoot the shit out of them and have carried them as backups for years without any issues. I've had some extensive time with both a P9 and a PM9 and I've been sorely tempted to buy one for that role. The difference in trigger characteristics with the DA/SA is the sole thing that has held me back. Anyway, just an idea. (shrug)

t

Sammy1
08-31-2015, 02:55 PM
Second the idea of a 9mm conversion kit for cheaper practice. I like the P224, I haven't fired one just held it and really like the feel of it. I had a P239 and didn't care for the balance/feel of it. On a side note i went to an LEO competition at the Sig Academy and they staged DA/SA guns at each event that you could use. One Federal Agency that was there carried P229 DAK and all those guys went back to their car to get their issued guns. They wanted nothing to do with DA/SA guns. That says allot for the DAK, it's what they are issued and train with and in this case it's what they preferred.