PDA

View Full Version : America is finally getting a smaller truck with a diesel

LittleLebowski
08-02-2015, 10:55 AM
Chevy Colorado and GMC Canyon Duramax diesel pricing released (http://blog.caranddriver.com/2016-chevrolet-colorado-and-gmc-canyon-duramax-diesel-details-and-pricing-released/)

Diesel’s base price to $33,520 for the Chevy and $34,875 for the GMC. For reference, those prices are for the LT and SLE 4×2 short-bed models. 30 MPG for the diesel, I would love to see a stripped, stick shift 4wd model but I do not think that is happening.

LOKNLOD
08-02-2015, 10:59 AM
I'm interested to see how it plays out.

It doesn't sound like its in the cards yet, but perhaps if this is successful it will spur Toyota to pony up with a diesel Tacoma for the US market.

JodyH
08-02-2015, 11:48 AM
Toyota has repeatedly stated that they will never bring a diesel Tacoma (HiLux) to the US market.

SeriousStudent
08-02-2015, 12:28 PM
....... 30 MPG for the diesel, I would love to see a stripped, stick shift 4wd model but I do not think that is happening.

This is relevant to my interests.

LOKNLOD
08-02-2015, 01:43 PM
Toyota has repeatedly stated that they will never bring a diesel Tacoma (HiLux) to the US market.

Oh I know. However if there is anything that might change their mind, it is actual competition in the compact/midsize truck market.

That aside, Toyota is probably smart letting someone else breach that market, and may very well be justified in their assessment that it isn't worthwhile. Just as with guns, we're not the real target demographic, we're one-offs who get thrown a bone every now and again.

While I like the concept, I'm not sure the public will go for it in large numbers.

LittleLebowski
08-02-2015, 02:11 PM
This is relevant to my interests.

No manual transmission for the diesel :( A stripped down diesel 4wd at about $37000 would be nice. Unfortunately, we are now solidly in the era of super expensive, luxury trucks.

Drang
08-02-2015, 07:29 PM
:mad: WHY DOES IT HAVE TO BE AN OBAMAMOBILE???!!!! :mad:

Drang
08-02-2015, 07:30 PM
Once they castrate it to meet US safety and environmental standards, no way Jeremy Clarkson would recognize it...

LittleLebowski
08-02-2015, 07:39 PM
Once they castrate it to meet US safety and environmental standards, no way Jeremy Clarkson would recognize it...

If they had sold them here before all of the asinine emissions requirements, there would be tons still on the road here today.

Poconnor
08-03-2015, 01:47 PM
Would love a hilux or a Subaru crosstec diesel

T.Stahl
08-07-2015, 02:50 PM
What about the Ram 1500 with the 3L V6 diesel?

Drang
08-07-2015, 04:54 PM
Diesel’s base price to $33,520 for the Chevy and $34,875 for the GMC.
My sources tell me that Ford is looking at bringing the (still manufactured) European version of the Ranger to the US market.

LittleLebowski
08-07-2015, 05:21 PM
What about the Ram 1500 with the 3L V6 diesel?

Is that a smaller truck?

SeriousStudent
08-07-2015, 07:10 PM
Mmm.. diesel Ranger....

http://www.fool.com/investing/general/2015/03/28/the-new-ford-ranger-that-you-cant-buy.aspx

T.Stahl
08-08-2015, 04:16 PM
I thought the 1500 or F150 are what y'all call a "small" truck. ;-)

Drang
08-08-2015, 05:38 PM
My sources tell me that Ford is looking at bringing the (still manufactured) European version of the Ranger to the US market.
My guess is the plan will be announced late in January of 2017...

I thought the 1500 or F150 are what y'all call a "small" truck. ;-)
150/1500="Small"
That's a "three quarter ton", 1500 pounds of payload.
Ranger/Hilux/Tacoma/Frontier="Compact"
Anything a half ton and less of payload.
Technically, the Hinda Ridgeline and Chevy Avalanche are "compacts", too. As is, I suppose, the also discontinued Ford Explorer Sport Trac.

dbateman
08-08-2015, 10:40 PM

What is the Euro version of the Ranger ?

T.Stahl
08-09-2015, 02:27 AM
What is the Euro version of the Ranger ?
This:
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ford_Ranger_(T6)

dbateman
08-09-2015, 02:37 AM
This:
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ford_Ranger_(T6)

That's my work car, you guys are not missing anything.

Joe in PNG
08-09-2015, 03:25 AM
That's my work car, you guys are not missing anything.

Not the toughest truck over here either. You get about 100K on these roads, then it starts falling apart.
The Hilux now... Top Gear was not exaggerating. There's one here that was old when I was driving it in 1999- it's still going!

JodyH
08-09-2015, 09:47 AM
I love me some Tacoma.
I would really love me some Hilux.
Aint happening here though.

imp1295
08-09-2015, 12:12 PM
I love me some Tacoma.

+1

I even looked at diesel conversions at one point. Cost prohibitive and too much effort for the return.

But, since my dad is a GM retiree, the new Colorado diesel does have me looking at option 1 prices once it comes to market.

JodyH
08-09-2015, 02:33 PM
+1

I even looked at diesel conversions at one point. Cost prohibitive and too much effort for the return.

But, since my dad is a GM retiree, the new Colorado diesel does have me looking at option 1 prices once it comes to market.
Isn't the Colorado basically a Isuzu in GM clothing with a Fiat diesel motor?

2014 Isuzu:

Paul
08-09-2015, 06:10 PM
I think GM will sell plenty, but it's not going to be a popular platform with the internet crowd. Most people equate diesel with ridiculous power of the 6 liter diesel found in 3/4 and 1 ton trucks. Some of those are pushing 7 pounds of vehicle weight per pound-foot of torque with a relatively small rear gear, usually 3.73. The baby Duramax will probably 12-14 pounds of vehicle weight per pound-foot of torque with a 3.42 rear gear. I think like the Ram Ecodiesel it'll get labelled as adequate but unimpressive.

My biggest complaint with the design is the co-located DEF and fuel fill. I know it's a major inconvenience to lift the hood once every 5000 miles and refill the DEF, but it sure stops all of those fuel system problems from accidentally putting DEF in the fuel tank.

dbateman
08-09-2015, 10:51 PM
Not the toughest truck over here either. You get about 100K on these roads, then it starts falling apart.
The Hilux now... Top Gear was not exaggerating. There's one here that was old when I was driving it in 1999- it's still going!

Well they're ok, if you like pulling the transmission every 20,000km doing rear main seals and trans input shaft bearings.
Doing front end suspension as often as filter changes and a myriad of other issues.
All whilst driving an underpowered POS that handles like a boat, gets worse fuel economy than my 7.3ltr.

If you need extra challenges in your life the Ranger is for you.

To be 100% honest it's hard to believe the F-series and the Ranger are made by the same company.

dbateman
08-09-2015, 10:55 PM
I love me some Tacoma.

We have the Tacoma over here but only in a petrol 5.7lt with option of TRD upgrades supercharger ect
They seem pretty nice a couple of guys that I work with have them, but they really need a diesel.
I don't even know if they make a diesel.

The Hilux isn't a bad ute. I'd prefer a Cruiser but the Hilux is about 47,000 times better than the Ranger.

dbateman
08-09-2015, 11:09 PM
I think GM will sell plenty, but it's not going to be a popular platform with the internet crowd. Most people equate diesel with ridiculous power of the 6 liter diesel found in 3/4 and 1 ton trucks. Some of those are pushing 7 pounds of vehicle weight per pound-foot of torque with a relatively small rear gear, usually 3.73. The baby Duramax will probably 12-14 pounds of vehicle weight per pound-foot of torque with a 3.42 rear gear. I think like the Ram Ecodiesel it'll get labelled as adequate but unimpressive.

My biggest complaint with the design is the co-located DEF and fuel fill. I know it's a major inconvenience to lift the hood once every 5000 miles and refill the DEF, but it sure stops all of those fuel system problems from accidentally putting DEF in the fuel tank.

We have had the Colorado over here for I don't know how long, they were marketed as the Holden Rodeo. They were renamed Colorado a few years ago.
They older ones were a good reliable ute, but like you say they don't have much power, they'll get you around just fine.

The newer models seem to be a much better vehicle, but they seem to be more of a hwy car than a work truck.

As far as I know the ones over here are not running any type of DEF system.

Joe in PNG
08-11-2015, 03:11 AM
We've got one that's a turbo diesel (D-Max). A sweet ride, especially on the "cough" roads here in PNG. Much more comfortable than a Series 70 Landcruiser. Wish it was my official department vehicle.

Just last week I drove another old 80's vintage Hilux to Lae- a petrol version this time. It was only running on 3 cylinders, the suspension was pretty shot, but it made it, and in pretty good time.

OnionsAndDragons
08-12-2015, 01:22 PM
I would be all over a compact diesel truck.

Since we ran our old VW Rabbit into the ground at about 375k, I've been dreaming of a diesel to replace my Nissan d20 for light truck work.

I'm with littlelebowski, though; I can't with the automatic trans trucks. Has to have a manual.

LittleLebowski
08-12-2015, 01:32 PM
I get the feeling that dbateman is trying to tell us something about the new Ranger :D

LOKNLOD
08-12-2015, 04:24 PM
I'm with littlelebowski, though; I can't with the automatic trans trucks. Has to have a manual.

Why? Im curious -- not just asking so I can argue about it ;)

orionz06
08-12-2015, 04:33 PM
I would be all over a compact diesel truck.

Since we ran our old VW Rabbit into the ground at about 375k, I've been dreaming of a diesel to replace my Nissan d20 for light truck work.

They have diesel...
http://goautomedia.cdn.on.net/gallery/volkswagen/amarok/2012_09_19_volkswagen_amarok_canyon_09.jpg

dbateman
08-15-2015, 02:09 AM
I get the feeling that dbateman is trying to tell us something about the new Ranger :D

Maybe my opinion of them is a little harsh.

They would probably make a good vehicle for someone who just wants to drive around town most of the time and chucking motorbikes and camping gear in the back once a month for a getaway. Like I tell they guys at work, they'd make a good painters ute.

Mine is a work vehicle (I work for the local Cat dealer) and I don't think they are designed for what we're doing with them. They are constantly loaded up to the carrying capacity and then a bit. Then driven around outback AU.

LittleLebowski
08-15-2015, 09:12 AM
Maybe my opinion of them is a little harsh.

They would probably make a good vehicle for someone who just wants to drive around town most of the time and chucking motorbikes and camping gear in the back once a month for a getaway. Like I tell they guys at work, they'd make a good painters ute.

Mine is a work vehicle (I work for the local Cat dealer) and I don't think they are designed for what we're doing with them. They are constantly loaded up to the carrying capacity and then a bit. Then driven around outback AU.

Hmmm, glad I friended you on FB. My dad has a D6, it's running fine but you never know :D

dbateman
08-15-2015, 06:47 PM
Hmmm, glad I friended you on FB. My dad has a D6, it's running fine but you never know :D

If you ever want to know anything flick me a pm.

BJJ
08-15-2015, 06:56 PM
I went to Chevy's website and priced a 2016 diesel 4x4 with crew cab and short bed. With the most basic trim and nothing else added it was right at 31k. Seems pretty steep to me.

dbateman
05-31-2016, 05:28 PM

Ranger has been down 8 going on 9 weeks.

Picked up #3 piston.