PDA

View Full Version : What would you do?

LittleLebowski
08-02-2015, 10:09 AM
Context is that bearded guy burned a Confederate flag at a Confederate flag rally in the South. To me it looks like an confrontation between an LEO and an Open Carry "activist." Personally, as a non LE guy with no LE training, I would have drawn if I was the cop.

Reminder; this is the LE forum. Keep it respectful.

http://i.imgur.com/knFLjw1.jpg

voodoo_man
08-02-2015, 10:37 AM
apparently this is the context

http://www.breitbart.com/big-government/2015/08/01/hundreds-rally-to-support-confederate-flag-at-stone-mountain-memorial/

breakingtime91
08-02-2015, 10:37 AM
That is an easy way to get shot, I am interested what the police officers in our forum will have to say.

LittleLebowski
08-02-2015, 10:38 AM
apparently this is the context

http://www.breitbart.com/big-government/2015/08/01/hundreds-rally-to-support-confederate-flag-at-stone-mountain-memorial/

Not much information:

On Saturday, hundreds upon hundreds of people from Georgia arrived at Stone Mountain, the nation’s largest Confederate memorial, to show their support for the Confederate flag.

The Southern Poverty Law Center reported that some of the attendees were armed: they tweeted a photo of one attendee openly carrying an AR-15 style rifle as he walked around.

voodoo_man
08-02-2015, 10:43 AM
Not much information:

I don't think we will get info on that specific context, unless someone calls that PD and asks to speak to that specific officer....

LittleLebowski
08-02-2015, 10:47 AM
I don't think we will get info on that specific context, unless someone calls that PD and asks to speak to that specific officer....

Prolly but you never know.

LittleLebowski
08-02-2015, 10:56 AM
Updated OP with context.

UNK
08-02-2015, 11:04 AM
Looks more to me like a LEO trying to bring calm between a person who is openly carrying and another member of the crowd who appears somewhat agitated and possibly has threatened the person bearing arms.

Beat Trash
08-02-2015, 11:50 AM
Putting your hand on your pistol in front of a Uniformed Officer is not a smart thing to do...

Malamute
08-02-2015, 11:53 AM
Putting your hand on your pistol in front of a Uniformed Officer is not a smart thing to do...

That, and I keep thinking photographer is in a really really bad location for the situation, with two officers and dipstick being profoundly retarded.

SeriousStudent
08-02-2015, 12:30 PM

This. It looks like it's a microsecond away from "Show me yours and I'll show you mine."

UNK
08-02-2015, 01:02 PM
I don't think so. The officer in the background doesn't seem too concerned. I would think a pistol would be drawn or at least hand on pistol in an immediate threat situation..Or it could be just the opposite.

This. It looks like it's a microsecond away from "Show me yours and I'll show you mine."

K.O.A.M.
08-02-2015, 01:22 PM
As a deputy sheriff with 10+ years of experience, as soon as the individual put his hand on his gun, I would put him under lethal cover and arrest him for aggravated assault on a LEO. Having the gun on his hip? Not that big a deal. Putting your hand on it is what converts this from protest to crime.

41magfan
08-02-2015, 01:44 PM
That single frame of reference tells me N O T H I N G meaningful in terms of context.

Glenn E. Meyer
08-02-2015, 02:14 PM
That single frame of reference tells me N O T H I N G meaningful in terms of context.

Not to be flip and this is not a peer reviewed study but I will opine that the incident is not the Einstein convention. Not a selling point for strolling around with your AR.

Al T.
08-02-2015, 02:50 PM
As a cake-eating civilian, I would take placing a hand on a holstered handgun as hostile action.

1slow
08-02-2015, 10:49 PM
How do you determine the hand going to rest on pistol from the beginning of the draw stroke ? You can't !
If the hand is already on pistol and has been there, that is one thing, though worrisome. If you are there when the hand starts for the pistol, this is indistinguishable from a draw stroke beginning.

HCM
08-02-2015, 10:54 PM
As a deputy sheriff with 10+ years of experience, as soon as the individual put his hand on his gun, I would put him under lethal cover and arrest him for aggravated assault on a LEO. Having the gun on his hip? Not that big a deal. Putting your hand on it is what converts this from protest to crime.

This ^^^^

Luke
08-02-2015, 10:57 PM
Is that one of those nylon Walmart holsters?

LittleLebowski
08-03-2015, 06:23 AM
How do you determine the hand going to rest on pistol from the beginning of the draw stroke ? You can't !
If the hand is already on pistol and has been there, that is one thing, though worrisome. If you are there when the hand starts for the pistol, this is indistinguishable from a draw stroke beginning.

I personally find neither acceptable in public unless there is an imminent threat.

voodoo_man
08-03-2015, 09:20 AM
I personally find neither acceptable in public unless there is an imminent threat.

The issue, in my opinion, would be that resting your hand and starting a draw stroke would potentially be the same act. It screams intent, and as a big blue target walking around, who do you think that intent is channeled towards right away?

SJC3081
08-03-2015, 01:05 PM
How about this the bearded man,a millisecond prior to this photo being taken is attempting to disarm the man with the pistol. The man places hand on his sidearm and the aggressor ceases his action at the same time the officer intervenes.

LittleLebowski
08-03-2015, 02:10 PM
The issue, in my opinion, would be that resting your hand and starting a draw stroke would potentially be the same act. It screams intent, and as a big blue target walking around, who do you think that intent is channeled towards right away?

It's hard to tell from the picture but it shouldn't be happening from what I can see. The firearm is the last resort for me.

Pup town
08-03-2015, 02:50 PM
Looks more to me like a LEO trying to bring calm between a person who is openly carrying and another member of the crowd who appears somewhat agitated and possibly has threatened the person bearing arms.

"Possibly has threatened?" Where did you pull that from?

Pup town
08-03-2015, 02:54 PM
Is that one of those nylon Walmart holsters?

It's not about the gear. I doubt the officer was thinking about that where the holster came from. (Don't think you are going to get some benefit of the doubt because you carry AIWB and are therefore member of the tribe.)

LittleLebowski
08-03-2015, 05:38 PM
It's not about the gear. I doubt the officer was thinking about that where the holster came from. (Don't think you are going to get some benefit of the doubt because you carry AIWB and are therefore member of the tribe.)

I think he was just asking about the holster and did not see anything that implied Wannabe nor anyone else in the thread thought AIWB would make the officer respond any differently. I certainly don't think that.

Luke
08-03-2015, 06:00 PM
Yea I was just curious. Seems like every time you see bad gun publicity it's somebody who would have one of those holsters. I did not have anything to add to the thread, a pictures worth a thousands words and I'm not typing them.

BehindBlueI's
08-06-2015, 04:24 PM
Guy with a grip on his gun? He's not just resting his hand on it, he's got his fingers curled around it. Absent some pretty incredible circumstances that aren't coming to mind, I'd have drawn and we'd have had a little chat about his next actions.

My state law would not support an arrest simply for holding the gun, so if he was arrested or not would depend on if elements of a crime such as intimidation, DOC, etc. were met.

Trooper224
08-06-2015, 05:19 PM
Well, it's always a dicey thing to analyze a single photo taken in microcosm. You know, the kind of thing we constantly berate the leftist media for doing. (just sayin')

However, for the sake of discussion I'd initially try to calm the situation as the officer seems to be doing and what he probably succeeded in doing, since we didn't hear of anyone getting their birth certificate revoked. If that didn't happen PDQ at the very least someone's going to be peeing blood for the next week. Any subsequent action isn't something I'm willing to post in cyberspace.