PDA

View Full Version : Week 123: Two Inch Dot Challenge

Mr_White
07-31-2015, 11:45 AM
Week 123: Two Inch Dot Challenge

Results may be posted until August 31h, 2015

Designed by: Gabe White
Range: shooter's choice of 3, 5, 7, 10, or 15 yards
Target: 2" dot, download printable target here: http://pistol-training.com/wp-content/uploads/2009/08/6x2in-circles.pdf
Start Position: holstered or benched
Rounds Fired: 20

This is going to be an untimed drill focusing on acquiring master grip and the patience to shoot on-demand hits on a challenging target.

Pick a distance that will make the shot challenging for you, rather than really easy or nearly impossible.

You can start with the loaded gun either holstered, holstered and concealed, or benched, with hands at sides.

Procedure is simply to draw, or retrieve the handgun from the bench, then shoot one shot to the 2" dot. Repeat until you have fired twenty rounds. You can certainly use multiple dots to keep scoring clear.

Please report the following when you post your results in this thread:

Equipment used (pistol, holster, optional concealment garment if one was used)
Start position
Distance
Total hits out of the possible twenty

Training with firearms is an inherently dangerous activity. Be sure to follow all safety protocols when using firearms or practicing these drills. These drills are provided for information purposes only. Use at your own risk.

backtrail540
08-01-2015, 01:29 PM
Cz p09, JMCK AIWB under a t-shirt
Holstered
7yds
16/20

RJ
08-01-2015, 02:35 PM
HK VP9 @ 3 yards, 11 out of 20.

I started with the pistol laying on the table, no draws on the public line at our range.

MVS
08-02-2015, 11:03 AM
Equipment used (pistol, holster, optional concealment garment if one was used) G19 w/RMR Fricke Seraphim, t shirt
Start position Holster
Distance 5 yards, then 10 yards
Total hits out of the possible twenty 17 out of 20, 15 out of 20

I thought this would be really easy. In reality I lost patience/concentration about 12 or so rounds in.

breakingtime91
08-02-2015, 08:31 PM
G19 in a Jm Custom Appendix
started in holster
distance was 5 yards
17 out of twenty. All three dropped were my last three rounds, I tried to really speed up and it showed.

JHC
08-03-2015, 11:12 AM
I shot mine at 7 yards and then tried it at 10. At ten yards the monovision contact in my dominant eye that keeps my front sight sharp caused the line of the circle to ghost out almost completely so that was aborted. That did cause me to experiment with shooting as Sean M described in a recent thread with hard target focus and let the front sight index where you're focusing. That worked pretty well although better for a 4" dot than a 2". ;)

I'll return later after I unpack the targets to post the scores. I shot it with a 17 and a 19. IIRC they ranged 14-15 with front sight focus. Hard target focus only at 7 yards I think was 13.

A question I had about this drill; not a timed event but it was about delivering a shot "on demand". I took that to mean NOT slow fire so I would draw and shoot promptly ie as soon as I thought I had enough sight alignment and fairly promptly through the trigger press. It was tough fighting the urge to put the timer on it but I resisted.

Was there any tempo intended at all? Qualitatively if not quantitatively?

Mr_White
08-03-2015, 11:53 AM
A question I had about this drill; not a timed event but it was about delivering a shot "on demand". I took that to mean NOT slow fire so I would draw and shoot promptly ie as soon as I thought I had enough sight alignment and fairly promptly through the trigger press. It was tough fighting the urge to put the timer on it but I resisted.

Was there any tempo intended at all? Qualitatively if not quantitatively?

Sounds to me like you did it the way I intended.

It's a little nebulous and subjective, but yes, qualitatively is what I meant. I did mean for it to not be 'slow fire' like shooting a 300 or something. Not, retrieve the gun with a laziness, or fool around with the grip after mounting the gun because it was the very tiniest bit imperfect. I meant for one to proceed through retrieving and mounting the gun, then be as careful as they felt needed for the target at hand. Take all the time needed, but waste none. Basically as if there were a time limit, but an unknowable one, so that the only useful thing to do is take just the time needed but no more (time being a byproduct of being careful enough, which is the true essence.) Kind of like GSSF, where there is time pressure but it is not specific. So what do you do? Try to hit the target with every shot and waste no time doing so. Make your best attempt on shots that are very doable, but as a practical reality, aren't all going to be done perfectly. Because shooting well under pressure is hard.

JHC
08-03-2015, 02:32 PM
Sounds to me like you did it the way I intended.

It's a little nebulous and subjective, but yes, qualitatively is what I meant. I did mean for it to not be 'slow fire' like shooting a 300 or something. Not, retrieve the gun with a laziness, or fool around with the grip after mounting the gun because it was the very tiniest bit imperfect. I meant for one to proceed through retrieving and mounting the gun, then be as careful as they felt needed for the target at hand. Take all the time needed, but waste none. Basically as if there were a time limit, but an unknowable one, so that the only useful thing to do is take just the time needed but no more (time being a byproduct of being careful enough, which is the true essence.) Kind of like GSSF, where there is time pressure but it is not specific. So what do you do? Try to hit the target with every shot and waste no time doing so. Make your best attempt on shots that are very doable, but as a practical reality, aren't all going to be done perfectly. Because shooting well under pressure is hard.

OK then I got it pretty close to exactly that. I'm glad it was so designed. It perfectly suited my current cycle which is to focus on the performance and not the outcome. I was hard focused on the deep high grip and my newish "high/out" elbows for recoil control. I'm doing it again. Grip was so high and deep my Large adapted Gen 4 G17 slide bit hell out of me. Hurt sooo good.

GJM
08-03-2015, 07:32 PM
Ha, perfect drill for an HK, no timer.

P2000 DA/SA JM AIWB

7 yards 20/20

10 yards (fired DA only) 17/20

12 yards 15/20

15 yards 11/20

GregB
08-05-2015, 01:35 PM
Equipment: 3rd Gen Glock 19
Start position: benched
Distance: 5 Yards
Total hits: 16/20

WobblyPossum
08-05-2015, 01:43 PM
Gen4 Glock 19 with Ameriglo Defoor tritium sights (top half of the front sight painted orange)
5 yards
Holstered start (Raven Concealment Eidolon)
Total Hits: 16/20

I tried to do it the way Mr_White explained a few posts earlier, where if my draw wasn't perfect, I continued anyway.

breakingtime91
08-05-2015, 02:09 PM
Gen4 Glock 19 with Ameriglo Defoor tritium sights (top half of the front sight painted orange)
5 yards
Holstered start (Raven Concealment Eidolon)
Total Hits: 16/20

I tried to do it the way Mr_White explained a few posts earlier, where if my draw wasn't perfect, I continued anyway.

good shooting!

MD7305
08-05-2015, 04:13 PM
Local Indoor Range
Glock 22/G4
Pick Up From Bench (drawing prohibited)
I used an original P-T target and shot on the six circles on the bottom.
First Attempt: 5 yards, 13/20 (Circle 1)
Second Attempt: 5 yards, 19/20 (Circle 4)
Third Attempt: 7 yards, 16/20 (Circle 2)

I don't like picking the gun up off the bench but rules are rules since the range forbids drawing. The bench is roughly the height of my appendix holster so the arm movements from bench to eye level were similar. My first attempt blew, I was going way too fast. I remembered Mr. White's comment to use the time you need but don't waste time and the second attempt was better, 19/20. I moved on out to 7 yards out of curiosity. That's going to be my starting line next attempt.
I've been struggling with the Glock branded night sights on my duty gun vs. the Ameriglo iDot Pros on my carry gun. This drill helped me iron that issue out a little.

(Note: sorry the pic us sideways. My Tapatalk is down and my iphone skills are weak.)

scw2
08-06-2015, 09:47 PM
Equipment used - CZ 75 SP-01
Start position - from bench, moved into retention position, then pressed out
3yd - 17/20
5yd - 7/13

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ox29f8Zd1NI

Learned two things
#1 at further distances when I get lazy with left hand grip, it shows with less accuracy
#2 I need to work on my aim since using dot as POA = POI, but I've been using a 'pumpkin on post' aim for a while now. That plus slight flinching meant I threw a lot of my shots really really low. At distance of 3yd and in that didn't matter, but very noticeably at 5yd.

LOKNLOD
08-06-2015, 10:16 PM
I deviated a little from the original plan, running this as a dry fire exercise. With a SIRT. At a doorknob... around a corner... through a mirror. Don't judge me.

start position: With gun in hand replicating start of an appendix draw.
distance: Probably ~7 yards.
19/20 at a deliberate but not glacial pace.

scw2
08-06-2015, 10:40 PM
I deviated a little from the original plan, running this as a dry fire exercise. With a SIRT. At a doorknob... around a corner... through a mirror. Don't judge me.

start position: With gun in hand replicating start of an appendix draw.
distance: Probably ~7 yards.
19/20 at a deliberate but not glacial pace.

That's a great idea, I may have to run it again with a laser this weekend I sucked so much at 5 yard. 2 inches is way smaller than the 3x5 index cards I've been using, so I'll see if I improve at all with a slower pace and improved POA. Definitely points out I've been a little sloppy with the aiming in dryfire.

BehindBlueI's
08-07-2015, 11:43 AM
First up, wheel guns. I haven't blown the dust of my LCR for awhile, and its my BUG so that's stupid on my part.

All shots were on the upper dot. Not all impacts were on the upper dot. :D

All revolvers shot from 7 yards:

LCR, drawn from a pocket holster, S&B .38 special 158 LRN factory ammunition. 15/20

First 10 were in the dot, the first two thrown shot I shoved it low on #12. The cammed trigger of the LCR really makes it easy to shoot.

GP100 3" Wiley Clapp, drawn from Galco Summer Comfort IWB, my reloaded .357 158 gr LSWC, 13/20

I was a little disappointed with this one. I thought I'd do better than I did. I started off low and improved as I went.

GP100 4" Match Champion, drawn from Don Hume OWB, my reloaded .357 158 gr LSWC, 11/20

That sucked. I was trying to stage the trigger and was throwing myself off. Once I realized that I went to a steady trigger pull and started hitting where I wanted to. I also played with my grip a bit, realized I was trying to shoot thumbs forward instead of thumb print to thumb nail. I was probably doing the same thing with the Wiley Clapp without realizing it in time.

Lessons: Stop staging the effing trigger on the bigger revolvers. I shot better with the snubby simply because I was pulling straight through.

http://i204.photobucket.com/albums/bb183/Docwagon1776/Ruger/P8070001_zps361p9qlz.jpg

Sigs

My P226 slide is still at Sig to repair the rear sight sliding left under recoil, so I stuck with my P229. My wife went with me, so I also shot the P229 9mm SAS once for funsies.

P229 .40, drawn from Blade-Tech IDPA holster, Speer lawman 180gr:

5 yards: 19/20 I don't know which one I shoved, but I pushed one way low.

7 yards: 17/22 (I know, I accidentally loaded one magazine to capacity and didn't realize it until I'd already emptied the mag and reloaded.)
First 8 were in the circle. The two that were farthest low left were at the end of the first magazine. The three that are juuuust outside were in the second mag.

P229 9mm, drawn from Blade-Tech IDPA holster, Magtech 115 gr:

5 yds: I originally counted 17/20 but upon further review one did not break the plane, only the rip in the paper did, so 16/20.
I knew 124 gr shot a bit high. 115 gr also shoots a bit high (no surprise) so I started using the top edge of the front sight instead of the dot. I was still hitting high. The two that are just outside the top were in the first 5, and all five were clustered right at the top of the circle. After 5 shots I changed my point of aim to the bottom of the circle and continued to use the top edge. That dropped the point of impact into the middle of the circle, but I did push two more out. I still need to try 147 gr in this gun, I think that will shoot POA.

http://i204.photobucket.com/albums/bb183/Docwagon1776/Ruger/P8070005_zpsrxmivzcm.jpg

Range1
08-07-2015, 01:27 PM
Completed this course with a 3rd generation Glock 34 with Trijicon HD yellow front sight, Warren Tactical rear and a Skimmer trigger kit. Also shot it with a 4th generation Glock 23 that has been converted to 9mm with a Lone Wolf Distributor’s conversion barrel and Glock 19 internals with Trijicon HD orange sights. All shooting was done at 5 yards. I was using primarily Magtech 115 grain 9mm rounds except as noted. Had to do these drills at an indoor range so picked the pistol up from the table in front of me or from a compressed ready.

Results:

Glock 34 - first run 12/20, misses were low left; second run with American Eagle 147 – 16/20, three misses were high.

Glock 23 – first run 19/20 the miss was just a little left, just barely touching outside of line; second run – 13/20, (got a little cocky and rushed the shots too much) five misses were high or high right two were low right (I am right handed).

Really thought this would be easier than it was, especially with the 34. Did not expect much with the Magtech, but thought it would not make much difference at 5 yards and indeed the groups were similar to the American Eagle. The converted Glock 23 has proven to be one of my better performing pistols. With both pistols I have a harder time finding and focusing on the top edge of the front sight the longer the shooting session goes. I find myself using the huge dot and that causes me to throw shots a little high. I hope getting my glasses straightened out will help with that.

GJM
08-07-2015, 01:52 PM
Had two new blasters arrive, so thought this would be a good exercise to check them out.

DA/SA P30L HD sights, USP retention holster (thanks Ben!)

10 yards, DA only, 20/20

15 yards, 16/20

CZ SP01 Shadow (like HCM is looking at, but built by Matt Mink)

15 yards 17/20, I got a little punchy at the end, was 10/10 for the first ten shots

scw2
08-07-2015, 03:24 PM
Had two new blasters arrive, so thought this would be a good exercise to check them out.

DA/SA P30L HD sights, USP retention holster (thanks Ben!)

10 yards, DA only, 20/20

15 yards, 16/20

CZ SP01 Shadow (like HCM is looking at, but built by Matt Mink)

15 yards 17/20, I got a little punchy at the end, was 10/10 for the first ten shots

Good shooting, makes me feel like I've got a long way to go when I was struggling at 5 yd. Worried I would have trouble seeing the targets at 10 or 15 yd, let alone hit them. What do you do if you can't see the outline of the target at further distances (either due to faint outline, or your sight covers the entire target)?

GJM
08-07-2015, 04:36 PM
Good shooting, makes me feel like I've got a long way to go when I was struggling at 5 yd. Worried I would have trouble seeing the targets at 10 or 15 yd, let alone hit them. What do you do if you can't see the outline of the target at further distances (either due to faint outline, or your sight covers the entire target)?

I use the PF target, the two inch dots are fairly light colored, and it is a problem. I mostly just try to visualize where the dot should be, based on the relative position of the others. I place the edge of my front sight at the base of the target. If I had a drive the dot zero, and it covered the dot, it would very hard.

While it might seem to be a sight alignment exercise, I think it mostly is a trigger control exercise.

scw2
08-07-2015, 05:46 PM
I use the PF target, the two inch dots are fairly light colored, and it is a problem. I mostly just try to visualize where the dot should be, based on the relative position of the others. I place the edge of my front sight at the base of the target. If I had a drive the dot zero, and it covered the dot, it would very hard.

While it might seem to be a sight alignment exercise, I think it mostly is a trigger control exercise.

Thanks, that's what I basically ended up doing. I definitely agree that once you've got sight alignment figured out, it's a trigger control exercise and I definitely learned that I've got lots to work on for my trigger control. Definitely no illusions for what was causing my shots to still hit low once I figured out that I was running a dot zero. :)

BaiHu
08-07-2015, 07:49 PM
P30 HD Trijicon
JRC AIWB under a t-shirt

5yds 15/20
7 yds 15/20

I sucked hard boiled eggs.

I shot this drill too fast for a cold drill. I should've shot this drill slower and as an 'accuracy' drill. Instead I drew to the first shot with one sight picture and then just followed the front sight hoping my first sight picture was good enough. I should have shot strings of 1 or 2 with rests in between. Anyone else treat it the way I did?

Adding insult to injury, we used a target that ended up being 1.75" instead of 2". Not that it mattered on my shitty performance (4 shots were too far out to make a difference). Long story short: my dad and I have printed every PF/PT target at a smaller ratio--woops! (FYI: he shot 19/20 at 5 yds and 11/20 at 7 yds with a PPQ in a CompTac strong side open).

BaiHu
08-08-2015, 11:23 AM
Just reading through this thread again and I see two problems:

1) I can't stand that I can't use tapatalk anymore. I went from memory on this drill.
2) I have to start writing down the drill of the week b/c tapatalk sucks. :mad:

mizer67
08-08-2015, 02:15 PM
G17 Gen 4
benched

10 yards

15/20, 16/20, 16/20

15 yards

11/20

Dots turned out at 1.75" for me on the PF target also.

This was a frustrating drill for me, alternating between a push and a flinch. My consistency has been poor recently and I've lost some of the desire to shoot. This gave me something to work on that fits into my usual range's rules.

Luke
08-08-2015, 02:28 PM
Shot this today with a couple buddies. First time I shit it I dropped four. Second time I didn't drop any. Only shot 17 rounds at the target not 20. I know the rules say 20 but I had a full mag and the ammo was far away.

This drill was pretty tough mentally. Never say there and fired a while mag trying to be as accurate as possible. My shoulders, hands, and brain hurt after doing this.

Also noticed my dots are 1 3/4 and not 2"

5yards
M&P9 HD's (Orange front)
Open holster, never broke master grip, but did come back in a couple times on the second one.

http://i400.photobucket.com/albums/pp81/hook_setter/Mobile%20Uploads/image_zpscabdxxds.jpg (http://s400.photobucket.com/user/hook_setter/media/Mobile%20Uploads/image_zpscabdxxds.jpg.html)

Totem Polar
08-08-2015, 05:47 PM
Hi all. While I have poached a bunch of these drills, this is the first time I've thrown my hat in the ring in a timely fashion on one. Drill was shot using a Sig P232, benched, as my range is a continually moving target with regard to drawing on the line (as in: I never know what they are going to say. It was "no draw" yesterday...). Ammo was Freedom Munitions' 90gr XTP JHP. Since I was picking up off the bench with each shot, I shot them all DA, given that decocking before setting the little Sig down after each shot was obviously the better part of wisdom. So I got lots of DA/first shot practice in; no different than from the holster aside from the obvious.

First string was an estimated 5 yards; 18/21, upper right circle (oh yeah, the mags hold 7 rounds, so I just did 3 mags for each drill). Second string was 7 yards; a lot looser at 15/21 *I think*... I shot at the opposite corners of the target in hopes of keeping things clean, but for all I know, I could have flyer'd one or two off the page completely. Close enough for nonprofit work, though. I found 7 yards to be fatiguing.

BN
08-08-2015, 05:52 PM
Gen 3 G-17, Blade Tech, 147 Bayou hand loads, open carry.
Holstered.
5 yards.
18/20

Lost concentration on 2 shots. A guy was raking the hay in the hay field just above my range. He would be driving by as I shot. At one point I was wondering if he thought I looked cool shooting. :) Yep, yanked a shot. Then a couple of shots later, I was thinking about what I had been thinking. Yanked another. :( Don't let distractions distract you. ;)

Totem Polar
08-08-2015, 06:01 PM

My G17 has the largest Ameriglo FiberOptic front (.130, it's like the planet mars on a good night--a big, red fireball...); at 25 yards the thing will damn near cover up a B-27, at least with my wobble zone. I try to put the majority of the target behind the fireball. [/shrug]

That Guy
08-09-2015, 05:54 AM
Incredibly enough, for once I shot a DotW in time to report the results!

I shot this cold, ie. the first shots of the day. Distance was 5 meters. I used a Walther P99, Trijicon HD sights, JMCK IWB holster. Start position was normal standing with the gun concealed. I went full speed on the draw but tried to stroke the trigger carefully.

http://i1370.photobucket.com/albums/ag280/Tony1911A1/Mobile%20Uploads/20150807_163559_zpsltda6muf.jpg

(Ignore dot 6, I kept going after the 20 shots until my second magazine was depleted.)

I count five out, with one that might just barely be touching the target. Call it 15/20. Not too impressive, but there it is.

Observations: Shooting small targets with these sights is a bit tricky, since the front sight obscures the target. Also, I have a tendency to pull DA shots to the left.

Clobbersaurus
08-09-2015, 11:31 AM
Beretta Elite II, AIWB holster under a polo.

7 Yards DA only. I did this drill later in range session and I did not concentrate as well as I should have. There are some very questionable shots on this target.

12/20
http://i143.photobucket.com/albums/r151/clobbersauras/DSC04003_zpsr12xpklt.jpg (http://s143.photobucket.com/user/clobbersauras/media/DSC04003_zpsr12xpklt.jpg.html)

Paul D
08-09-2015, 05:46 PM
Equipment used: Glock 17, JMCK AIWB under T shirt
Holstered/concealed.
Distance: 7 yds.
Total Score: 17/20

JHC
08-10-2015, 11:55 AM
Gen 4 G17 open OWB - 7 yards 15/20 with hard front sight focus (speed ranging in the 2.5-2.6 sec range)

Gen 4 G17 open OWB 7 hards 13/20 with hard focus on the target and indexing sights (same pace)

RTF2 G19 open OWB 7 yards 14/20 with hard focus on the target and indexing sights (same pace)

Skeeter
08-10-2015, 09:01 PM
Equipment used: Glock 19, Keeper AIWB, Polo shirt for cover.
Start position: Holstered, hands at sides.
Distance: 10 yards and 7 yards
Total hits out of the possible twenty: 18 both times.

This was last Friday, August 7. Draw was normal, took the grip as-is, and used a slow trigger press with careful sight alignment. Didn't time the shots, the 10 yard version felt slower than at 7 yards. Did the FAST test after this, and to run it clean the first shot to the 3x5 area at 7 yards was taking ~2.7x seconds. With this drill, it seemed like I was taking at least another full second or two with only a 2" circle. If I went faster, the hit count would be a lot worse -- If slower, probably not much better.

Totem Polar
08-11-2015, 12:25 AM
At 10yds from the draw, I'd say that's pretty good.

Skeeter
08-11-2015, 08:01 AM
At 10yds from the draw, I'd say that's pretty good.
Thanks, but with the time I was taking it was close to slow fire.

Seeing the two go outside early in the drill made me slow down even further for the bottom row. It may not have been the point of the drill, but I used it to see how fast/careful I had to be for a target that small.

GJM
08-11-2015, 12:41 PM
When I am shooting targets like a one inch square or two inch dot, I can use time to record my shooting, but I can not shoot to a time. I really need to align the sights and work the trigger, and need to do that naturally and without regard to a time.

JHC
08-11-2015, 01:28 PM
When I am shooting targets like a one inch square or two inch dot, I can use time to record my shooting, but I can not shoot to a time. I really need to align the sights and work the trigger, and need to do that naturally and without regard to a time.

Yes. I am doing more of that lately on a lot of different shooting; trying to stop chasing outcomes and instead work on the performance/execution.

EricM
08-16-2015, 03:29 PM
PPS: 20/20 @ 5 yards
G17: 16/20 @ 7 yards
G17: 19/20 @ 5 yards
G34: 20/20 @ 7 yards
G17: 19/20 @ 7 yards

Started off cold with the PPS at 5 yards with carry ammo, 124gr +P Gold Dot. Moved back to 7 yards then with the Glock 17, I think I was a bit overconfident and didn't take it seriously enough, scoring only 16/20. Pulled it back to 5 yards and was much more consistent but still had one out. On something like this, throwing one high for me usually means I let too much tension out of my strong hand trying to isolate my trigger finger, so when pressure is applied to make the shot break the gun tips up slightly because the top of the backstrap wasn't firmly planted in the web of my hand. I can clearly feel it and see it in the sights when it happens.

Did some other shooting and later got thinking that the fine-tip Sharpie line was kind of hard to see at 7 yards with the indoor range lighting. (The range only allows use of targets purchased from them, so I buy a bullseye target and make my own dots with a Sharpie and a stencil.) Rummaged around in the range bag and came up with a fatter marker (outer edge of the circle remains 2"). It was probably a combination of being warmed up and the target being easier to see, but I cleaned it at 7 yards with my 34 and barely missed one with my 17.

Dots are a mental challenge more than anything. It does require a lot of focus and concentration, but at the same time I have to remind myself that there's nothing different I need to be doing in my grip or trigger manipulation. Should do some command fire dot drills to reinforce that.

http://icedesigns.com/echo0603/pf/081615/1.jpg

http://icedesigns.com/echo0603/pf/081615/2.jpg

2alpha-down0
08-16-2015, 07:43 PM
M&P9, Safariland 6377
Holstered
5 yards
17/20

http://i206.photobucket.com/albums/bb227/Gilenusx207/Range%20stuff/IMG_0751_zpsovvooudq.jpg

RJ
08-18-2015, 01:49 PM
edit, sorry, wrong DOTW thread.

ACP230
08-21-2015, 05:05 PM
Shot this drill with a S&W M649, Beretta 21A, Colt Combat Commander 9mm, and an
M15 snub with two inch barrel. Shot it on two different range trips so the 649 and the
Commander were shot cold.

M649, 158 grain reloads with Unique, Uncle Mike's pocket holster.
Got five out of 20. Besides shooting badly due to rushing shots, I had
a problem with glare off the stainless front sight. (Realized that afterward, of course.)
Group was mostly high.

Also had the holster come out of the pocket with the gun a couple times. Changed to a
different, thicker holster. The worn pocket holster is going away.

Beretta 21A .22. Ammo was .22 plated HPs. Got five hits out of 20. All fired double action.

Sights were black so no glare to speak of.
Group was mostly low but I threw a couple left. My son complains that this gun
"has no sights." I still think he's wrong.

Used another Uncle Mike's pocket holster and also had a couple of out of the pocket experiences.
This gun has been a second gun, on occasion. Usually in an ankle rig.

Colt Commander 9mm six hits out of 20. This gun disappointed me. I expected better things from it.

I shot it first this morning with a Dillon OTB holster and 9mm Winchester White Box FMJs.
Gun has Millet sights with an orange front blade. No glare issues but I rushed things again.
Shot low mostly. Group was reasonably good but in the wrong place. Threw two right, one low,
one left. (Maybe I should have used a .45!)

M15 snub two-inch. 16 hits out of 20. All fired double action. Same 158 grain reloads as mentioned above.

Threw one out low and right and a couple high. The first one was overconfidence. The others might have
been the start of fatigue. No glare issues since I was later getting to the range.

Had a problem with the holster I grabbed, so picked the gun up off a plank on a barrel. Gun has stock S&W revolver sights except for orange paint on the front blade. I shot this gun almost every range trip last year and the year before. Snub M15 have a rep as "shooting like a four-inch." I can see why.

By then I was both curious and cranky about my shooting.

Unlimbered a Marlin 39A .22 lever rifle. Filled the tube mag with
10 Remington 40 grain LRN Thunderbolts and started in on the two-inch circle from five yards.
Filled it up again and got 19 out of 20. Dropped one low. Worked out of low ready.

The 39A has a long barrel and feels like a deer rifle. Mine came with ghost ring peep sights installed and they work really well. Just paste the front sight to what you want hit and (mostly) it gets smacked. I may have to decide my pistols are around just so I can fight my way to the M39. :D

scw2
08-22-2015, 10:17 PM
Equipment used: CZ 75
Start position: Off bench, into high compressed ready
Distance: 5 yd
Total hits out of the possible twenty: 13/20 :mad:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_PwJEdG-afg

Tried this drill again since I need to work on my accuracy, trigger manipulation, and grip. Warmed up at 10 ft shooting 10 shots on the bottom circle. Hit 5 out of 10, which was disappointing. Tried a full 20 shots at 15 ft, and got 13/20. Also not great. Had 2 go low and left, but the rest that missed were just generally low. I think I'm doing something when I'm pressing trigger faster b/c I can hit almost 100% at 10 ft shooting SHO or WHO. Also, I appear to be moving my entire arms, maybe fighting recoil or something, which probably is contributing me muscling the gun down or something.

Lots to work on.

cosine
08-23-2015, 09:49 PM
Glock 19 with Trijicon HDs and Comp-Tac paddle holster
Started with pistol holstered and hands at sides
Drill shot once at 5 yards and once at 10 yards

Thirteen hits out of twenty.
https://lh3.googleusercontent.com/m1I5xp84-cgX2DANzv1uYzYmYKYBSAKgXsabY1Hp0jA=w848-h667-no

Five hits out of twenty.
https://lh3.googleusercontent.com/A5I8x9uXJQQh5kd8DOwOPKwtsFAoO2Wxq7ShM057azk=w850-h667-no

My two most significant struggles were acquiring a consistent grip on the draw and finding the front sight. I was finding it very difficult to bring the front sight into focus rapidly once the pistol reached full extension. I had a tendency to rush breaking the shot and pull the trigger before I had consistent front sight focus.

ACP230
08-27-2015, 12:50 PM
Ran this drill again today 8/27 with a BHP and a four-inch M28 at three yards.

Ten out of 20 with the BHP Practical. (Hard to tell since the group was low and left but mostly all in one area.) Holster was a Browning thrown in with a gun. It has a thumbstrap and isn't a bad "carry in the woods holster" but moved around too much on the belt for this many draws. Ammo was PerFecta ball from Walmart. The BHP likes this stuff and it was on sale for a while. It shot lower than I remembered.
Thought it was on in the BHP.

Sixteen out of 20 with the Highway Patrolman four-inch.
It has Pachmayr Presentation grips and a very businesslike look.
Used to be a duty gun in Pueblo, Colorado before it was sold off.
Ammo was reloads with 158 grain LSWC bullets, Unique powder and mixed .38 Special brass.
The M28 shoots the load well. (Haven't found a load that the M28 doesn't shoot well.)

The four misses were all low. I trace them to a loss of concentration.
Thought they were good but afterward thought the front sight had looked
different than on the other shots. All shots fired double action.

Holster was a Ted Blocker thumbbreak model. It also works fine in woods carry.
Keeps the gun tight to the body and doesn't shift around. The thumbbreak gave
some trouble drawing and reholstering. El Paso Saddlery "Street Combat" would have
been a better one to grab out of the holster box.

I have carried the M28 trout fishing and not minded the weight. Today it was more
noticeable than I remembered. Taking it to the range more might be the cure for that.

ssb
08-27-2015, 02:48 PM
7yds, 15/20
G19 w/ Trijicon HD Yellow, dot connector + G17 Gen 4 trigger bar, concealed in a Keeper
American Eagle 124gr FMJ
Four shots per circle, using the PTC target (has six 2" circles).

4/5 dropped shots were on circles three and four (last two). As I got more confident in my hits I pushed faster. It showed: circle 3 had a 6 o'clock low shot, and I don't know WTF happened on circle four.

http://i.imgur.com/AVc9dVj.jpg

taadski
08-28-2015, 03:48 PM
Been slacking a bunch of late on the training front. Only a couple sporadic weekly dry fire sessions and we ran a qual day at work this week. Had one local match cancelled this month and got my vacation for the Utah State Championships (USPSA) this weekend rescinded because of some short staffing stuff at work. :mad: I've been feeling a bit unmotivated as a result and my regular regiment has fallen by the wayside a bit. This was a good pure mechanics session. Coming out and shooting some of the DOTWs gave me a bit of motivation.

Shot cold from my duty gear holster (Safariland 6360)
Stock Sig 226, my issued pistol.
Shot the drill from 7 yards first.
20/20.

http://i388.photobucket.com/albums/oo324/taadski/Mobile%20Uploads/IMG_0607_zps61d72740.jpg

Shot it a second time from the 10 yard line. 20/20

http://i388.photobucket.com/albums/oo324/taadski/Mobile%20Uploads/IMG_0609_zpsbe71a834.jpg

http://i388.photobucket.com/albums/oo324/taadski/Mobile%20Uploads/IMG_0610_zps72aa7b39.jpg

I didn't move back any further b/c there were some other drills I wanted to get done with limited time. One being the 4 corners drill. I'll post those results up there...

t

scw2
08-29-2015, 11:05 PM
Tried this one last time at 3 yd today with my CZ SP-01. Ended up with 18/20, better than 17/20 the last time I tried this drill at 3yd. The groups were on the lower half of the circles, but seem to have eliminated most of the leftward drift.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lOM96CYqirI

Mostly need to focus on grip and not letting my misses go low, especially when I rushed the shot and press trigger faster. Definite improvement on recoil management and getting a strong base with my body (nose over toes), saw sights way better. Also really, really need to work on follow through.

Mr_White
08-31-2015, 10:48 AM
Gen3 G34, concealed under a polo shirt in a Keeper.

Snuck this drill in during the lunch break from class yesterday.

19/20 at 7 yards.

taadski
08-31-2015, 12:57 PM
Gen3 G34, concealed under a polo shirt in a Keeper.

Snuck this drill in during the lunch break from class yesterday.

19/20 at 7 yards.

Lemme guess. You had the par time set at .8?

Mr_White
08-31-2015, 05:09 PM
Lemme guess. You had the par time set at .8?

Lol, nope. No timer, still hurried a bit.