PDA

View Full Version : CNN: Silencer sales booming

LittleLebowski
07-31-2015, 09:15 AM
I didn't read the comments. I don't think you should either.

http://money.cnn.com/2015/07/30/news/companies/gun-silencer-sales-up/index.html

TR675
07-31-2015, 10:39 AM
I read 'em. Not that bad.

RJ
07-31-2015, 02:20 PM
I read 'em. Not that bad.

I stopped after the Starbucks stuff started.

Anyway, back to the topic, my guess would be a suppressor would be useful in house clearing, so you could actually use the phone to contact the Authorities. You know, afterwards. I don't routinely don my ears when things go bump in the night.

Thoughts?

ReverendMeat
07-31-2015, 02:21 PM
a person using a suppressor doesn't like their gun, what they like is the rush of power that comes from knowing they can take life.

Stupidest comment doesn't go to an anti-gunner for a change.

Sensei
07-31-2015, 04:23 PM
I stopped after the Starbucks stuff started.

Anyway, back to the topic, my guess would be a suppressor would be useful in house clearing, so you could actually use the phone to contact the Authorities. You know, afterwards. I don't routinely don my ears when things go bump in the night.

Thoughts?

Not just room clearing - they are good for anything clearing. Simply standing 30 yards away from a rifle or reasonable caliber handgun being fired outdoors is going to be deafening. Thus, any immediate use weapon such as a trunk gun needs to be suppressed unless you want to be pick-up your ossicles off the ground after the first shot. If you don't believe me, try cracking your ear pro just a mm while standing next to an AR. I bet you don't even completely break the seal before you are overcome by the suck.

As for the recent buying phenomenon, LL and I were just PM'ing about this exact phenomenon. What brought on my own frenzy was the ATF rule change regarding trusts which may hit in December. I'm almost positive that many people are in the same boat and afraid that their CLEO will not sign-off on Forms 1 and 4. Thus, I'm buying now and registering lowers faster than they can be made to make sure that I have enough SBR legal lowers and suppressors to last a lifetime. Panic buying? You bet. But a man has got to do what a man has got to do. Besides, I checked with my wife and she is Ok going without food, toilet paper, diapers, and tampons for a few months until this more pressing need is fulfilled.

TGS
08-08-2015, 04:44 PM
Not just room clearing - they are good for anything clearing. Simply standing 30 yards away from a rifle or reasonable caliber handgun being fired outdoors is going to be deafening. Thus, any immediate use weapon such as a trunk gun needs to be suppressed unless you want to be pick-up your ossicles off the ground after the first shot. If you don't believe me, try cracking your ear pro just a mm while standing next to an AR. I bet you don't even completely break the seal before you are overcome by the suck.

I think that's a bit of an exaggeration. In years past, I've stood/proned out next to, in front of, and run past not just 1 AR, but 9-10 ARs, 3 M249s, much less than 30 yards away...and a 240 or two....without ear pro.

It's intense, but my hearing was measured last year and is still fine. While communication during firing was difficult, I was not hindered in verbal communication after the cease fire (approximately 5 minutes and 1000+ rounds later).

Drang
08-08-2015, 05:32 PM
OTOH, I knew a gal who got a medical discharge for being deaf in one ear, after her GI earplug fell out. One shot. Sharp pain. She was devastated: "I started shooting with my father when I was 5, I always wore ear pro, I love soldiering..."

TGS
08-08-2015, 05:55 PM
OTOH, I knew a gal who got a medical discharge for being deaf in one ear, after her GI earplug fell out. One shot. Sharp pain. She was devastated: "I started shooting with my father when I was 5, I always wore ear pro, I love soldiering..."

That blows.

She's certainly the exception, though. There's always going to be an exception no matter what topic.

Sure, firing without ear pro is risking damage...and doing so repeatedly or for time is guaranteeing hearing loss to varying degrees....but lots of troops and LEOs have fired highpower, smokeless powder firearms without ear pro for the last hundred+ years and were still able to function during and after the shooting. Lots of wars have been faught, and lots of OIS's been won, by shooters without ear pro whose ossicles did not fall on the ground.

olstyn
08-08-2015, 06:44 PM
I live in a state that just legalized them for civilians, so were it not for the fact that I simply can't justify the cost right now, I'd be braving the paperwork hassle myself. What's the least you can pay for a good quality suppressor for 9mm/.380 usage, anyway? (I assume that since they use the same bullet diameter, the same suppressors would work for both calibers?)

Sensei
08-08-2015, 06:53 PM
That blows.

She's certainly the exception, though. There's always going to be an exception no matter what topic.

Sure, firing without ear pro is risking damage...and doing so repeatedly or for time is guaranteeing hearing loss to varying degrees....but lots of troops and LEOs have fired highpower, smokeless powder firearms without ear pro for the last hundred+ years and were still able to function during and after the shooting. Lots of wars have been faught, and lots of OIS's been won, by shooters without ear pro whose ossicles did not fall on the ground.

Sorry that you took the ossicle thing literally.

HCM
08-08-2015, 06:58 PM
I live in a state that just legalized them for civilians, so were it not for the fact that I simply can't justify the cost right now, I'd be braving the paperwork hassle myself. What's the least you can pay for a good quality suppressor for 9mm/.380 usage, anyway? (I assume that since they use the same bullet diameter, the same suppressors would work for both calibers?)

Yes a 9 millimeter suppressor would work for both calibers.

TGS
08-08-2015, 07:19 PM
Sorry that you took the ossicle thing literally.

There's no need for the snark simply because someone countered your bad gouge.

It's no secret that a suppressor is preferable, and it absolutely gives you advantages....but I still think you were overstating the immediate impact of firing an unsuppressed weapon without earpro. In addition, the statement that any ready-gun needs to be suppressed is an unqualified statement without factual support.

While it'd be preferable if it were suppressed, history has shown us that you can effectively function in shootings sans earpro with unsuppressed weapons. Even to this day, the vast majority of non-training firearm use by LE and military are sans earpro, unsuppressed, and these men and women continue to deliver.

Drang
08-08-2015, 07:26 PM
That blows.
And I now someone's wondering: In Real Life she was fairly attractive; in Korea, in Second Infantry Division, she was about a 15.

So far as I can tell, my father (25 years Detroit PD, starting about a year before my birth; before that 2 years US Army, before that grew upon a farm in Michigan, during much of which period ear pro was probably optional, if not considered a sign of weakness) has better hearing than me (20 years US Army, always using ear pro.)

Anyway, I consider SGT R*** to be a cautionary tale about why one should wear ear pro if at all possible.

Sensei
08-08-2015, 07:39 PM
There's no need for the snark simply because someone countered your bad gouge.

It's no secret that a suppressor is preferable, and it absolutely gives you advantages....but I still think you were overstating the immediate impact of firing an unsuppressed weapon without earpro. In addition, the statement that any ready-gun needs to be suppressed is an unqualified statement without factual support.

While it'd be preferable if it were suppressed, history has shown us that you can effectively function in shootings sans earpro with unsuppressed weapons. Even to this day, the vast majority of non-training firearm use by LE and military are sans earpro, unsuppressed, and these men and women continue to deliver.

I wasn't being snarky. I actually thought that you didn't get the hyperbole since you quoted it in your own post. As for proving my point, it's impossible to do since nobody would allow you to study the comparison. I suppose that we just disagree about the effectiveness of fighting indoors and in a vehicle without a suppressor.

TGS
08-08-2015, 07:41 PM
And I now someone's wondering: In Real Life she was fairly attractive; in Korea, in Second Infantry Division, she was about a 15.

Example 1 (http://terminallance.com/2010/10/07/terminal-lance-71-deployment-goggles/)

and...

Example 2 (http://terminallance.com/2013/05/14/terminal-lance-266-deployment-goggles-ii/)