PDA

View Full Version : 1-4/6/8 Reticle Design

joshs
07-29-2015, 10:15 PM
Since there has been so much interest in low power variables on the forum recently, I'm interested in hearing what everyone thinks is the optimal reticle.

I've tried a number of different options including optics with daylight visible dots, and I've concluded (at least for now :P) that my preference is for a bold reticle on 1x that is usable with or without illumination, but still provides for accurate hold-overs at max power. My personal favorite reticles so far have been the SWFA 1-4 circle and the USO DFP 1-4 segmented circle. I think Nightforce could produce the optimal reticle for it's upcoming 1-6/8 if it uses the segmented circle and centering lines from the current FC-3G but increases the size of the circle to provided for a simplified 10 or so mil christmas tree inside the circle (20ish mils total circle size like the SWFA 1-4).
Whether the tree is actual Horus or not is irrelevant, but I'd prefer a simplified tree like the GAP G2.

What would you like to see in a low power variable reticle?

Failure2Stop
07-31-2015, 08:23 AM
Josh, totally with you on this.
Firstly, the reticle must be bold enough to work without illumination, and the examples you give are the ones I generally use as well. The Bushy BTR 1 and 2 also have a decent halo/dot.

For a 1-4, I think it's pretty safe to stay in the 2FP, but going up to 6 or 8 at the top end makes a 1FP more valuable.

One thing I hate in a reticle is being forced into a zero distance, which can make a BDC difficult. What I think would work well enough would be 0.5, 1.0, and 1.5 mil quick reference points (gives rough 200, 250, and 300 meter POI with a 100 meter zero, or 250, 300, and 350 with a 200 meter zero for .223), and some simple horizontal windage indicators. Gets around the issue of gear being tied to a reticle.

I would like to have a mil grid starting at 2 mils below the reticle center, but since someone somehow patented a unit of measure in square form, that'd be harder to do than it should be.