PDA

View Full Version : 13 Hours: The Secret Soldiers of Benghazi

texasaggie2005
07-29-2015, 10:59 AM
I'm curious to see how this turns out.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4CJBuUwd0Os

breakingtime91
07-29-2015, 11:13 AM
interesting... book is on amazon for 12-18 dollars.

UNK
07-29-2015, 11:28 AM
I'm in.

breakingtime91
07-29-2015, 11:50 AM
Link: http://www.amazon.com/13-Hours-Account-Happened-Benghazi-ebook/dp/B00LEWR0SS/ :cool:

your the best :D

Irelander
07-29-2015, 12:07 PM
Looks good. Funny to see Jim....in mean John Krasinski in that type of role.

Jeep
07-29-2015, 01:03 PM
I'm curious to see how this turns out.

I hope that it adequately honors their memory and isn't too cheesy. Those guys were heroes.

texasaggie2005
07-29-2015, 01:20 PM
I hope that it adequately honors their memory and isn't too cheesy. Those guys were heroes.

Agreed. I also find the timing conspicuous, because how it portray's Hillary's involvement might influence her popularity.

Irelander
07-29-2015, 01:24 PM
If it doesn't portray her as a lying, crocked politician then it would not be a true story.

TGS
07-29-2015, 01:36 PM
If it doesn't portray her as a lying, crocked politician then it would not be a true story.

It might not portray her or the upper echelon at all.

Like so many accounts of heroism, it very well might steer clear of such and focus on the actions of the men.

Dropkick
07-29-2015, 02:02 PM
It might not portray her or the upper echelon at all.

I dunno, but I really wanted to poke David Costabile's character in the eye after watching the trailer.

texasaggie2005
07-29-2015, 02:37 PM
Here is the red band trailer. Looks the same to me, but with an added f-bomb.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3ZW2KEEl5jE

edit: Why won't my videos embed?

Edwin
07-29-2015, 04:34 PM
Michael Bay? Pass.

LSP972
07-29-2015, 04:50 PM
Michael Bay? Pass.

Why? Never heard of the guy, just curious.

Default.mp3
07-29-2015, 05:08 PM
The man has a... less than stellar reputation as a director. He is, after all, the guy that brought us the rebooted Transformers, Pearl Harbor, the Bad Boys duology, Armageddon, etc. https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Michael_Bay_filmography#Film

HCM
07-29-2015, 05:19 PM
The man has a... less than stellar reputation as a director. He is, after all, the guy that brought us the rebooted Transformers, Pearl Harbor, the Bad Boys duology, Armageddon, etc. https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Michael_Bay_filmography#Film

Pearl Harbor being the worst transgression.

ssb
07-29-2015, 05:29 PM

In a word, explosions:

http://i.imgur.com/AaWVH9g.jpg

---

I picked up a copy of the book. So far, so good. My impression is that the author is trying to give the reader a ground-eye view of the events on that day/night, and so far he seems to have dispensed with the politics.

voodoo_man
07-29-2015, 05:39 PM
Damn it why do you have to post the book, uggghhhh

LSP972
07-29-2015, 07:41 PM
Pearl Harbor being the worst transgression.

That film was doomed from the start; because Ben Affleck.

Haven't seen any of the others in that graphic except Armageddon… and I liked it.

Anyway… thanks, fellows.

Mr Pink
07-29-2015, 07:45 PM
I hope that it adequately honors their memory and isn't too cheesy. Those guys were heroes.I would think that would be the case, since former members of that organization were technical advisers.

MRW
07-29-2015, 09:10 PM
And helped write the book.

texasaggie2005
07-29-2015, 10:53 PM
vBulletin doesn't know how to parse shortened YouTube links (https://youtu.be/3ZW2KEEl5jE), so I convert them to the full links (https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3ZW2KEEl5jE) and then it works.

Thank you! I did not know that.

FWIW; the "How To Imbed A Video" sticky in the Help Desk section shows a shortened URL as working. Hence my confusion.

ReverendMeat
07-30-2015, 12:00 AM

Director's reputation aside, anyone who doesn't like Bad Boys is a communist.

Odin Bravo One
07-30-2015, 03:29 AM

Sad part of this whole affair is that the trailer states "This is a true story". Which it clearly is not, regardless if it even mentions Cankles Clinton. But the mental midgets in this country will believe it to be so, and Michael Bay's Libya will be referenced as history instead of fiction.

Jeep
07-30-2015, 10:51 AM
Sad part of this whole affair is that the trailer states "This is a true story". Which it clearly is not, regardless if it even mentions Cankles Clinton. But the mental midgets in this country will believe it to be so, and Michael Bay's Libya will be referenced as history instead of fiction.

Of course, part of the reason for that is that our government has been trying very hard to prevent a full and honest account of what happened from becoming public. There are days it seems like we are living in Venezuela.

NEPAKevin
07-30-2015, 12:34 PM
This is probably a stupid, and hopelessly naive, question but where can I find out the truth about Benghazi?

The deleted files from Hillary's server? Snowden?

PNWTO
07-30-2015, 01:38 PM
This is probably a stupid, and hopelessly naive, question but where can I find out the truth about Benghazi?

SOFREP did an e-book, that was a bit of a fresh read. But was put forth by Brandon Webb, so there's that caution. Honestly it will probably be one of those speculated realities for awhile. I'm sure the coloring book version will get released by the Clinton camp sooner or later.

TCinVA
07-30-2015, 02:12 PM
Thank you! I did not know that.

FWIW; the "How To Imbed A Video" sticky in the Help Desk section shows a shortened URL as working. Hence my confusion.

Thanks for pointing that out. I've added a little blurb about ditching the "s". :)

Slavex
07-31-2015, 03:51 AM
Max Martini playing another soldier, I wonder how many times he's done that now?

Chance
07-31-2015, 11:36 AM

I'm not knowledgeable enough to vouch for its veracity, but I can say "13 Hours in Benghazi" is an excellent book. No politics, but it's clear that the resulting events on the ground were the result of spectacular failures of leadership at the top. If there are more reputable sources that talk about how things played out, I too, would very much like to know.

Hambo
07-31-2015, 12:20 PM
I'm not knowledgeable enough to vouch for its veracity, but I can say "13 Hours in Benghazi" is an excellent book. No politics, but it's clear that the resulting events on the ground were the result of spectacular failures of leadership at the top. If there are more reputable sources that talk about how things played out, I too, would very much like to know.

I read the book some time ago and IIRC the author states that he left the politics out and concentrated on what happened in Libya. If you haven't read it I highly recommend that you do and draw your own conclusions about what went wrong.

Odin Bravo One
08-01-2015, 12:03 AM

I don't know where to find anything open source that is worth the paper it is printed on.

SOFREP did an e-book, that was a bit of a fresh read. But was put forth by Brandon Webb, so there's that caution.

If it as written by him, one can count on it being misrepresentations, exaggerations, and lies.

Jeep
08-01-2015, 01:23 PM
If it as written by him, one can count on it being misrepresentations, exaggerations, and lies.

Unfortunately, that seems to be the case with most of what our government has said about Benghazi as well, and it doesn't appear that legitimate national security reasons are driving it.

I'd sure like to know (1) why our people were put there without enough security in the first place; (2) where our senior decision makers were when this was happening; (3) why they didn't at least try to get air assets there (as difficult as it would have been, why not at least try?); and (4) why the administration almost immediately started feeding the American public a story it knew wasn't true?

My guess is that if we knew the answer to question (4) we could infer the answers to the other questions.

NEPAKevin
08-02-2015, 08:34 AM
Fox News is reairing Bret Baier's 2014 interview with the survivors. Also on youtube:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PjWFYHWoZ5M

texasaggie2005
11-04-2015, 09:39 AM
Red Band Trailer

http://youtu.be/1ikV32zwVOg

GardoneVT
11-04-2015, 11:51 AM
I don't know where to find anything open source that is worth the paper it is printed on.
Anyone in a position to know the truth would also be smart enough to keep their yaps shut, lest they be forced to troll Craigslist for Moscow apartment listings.

breakingtime91
11-04-2015, 11:55 AM
Not sure I buy the moscow thing but ya. I read the book and it was an enjoyable and informative read.

MGW
11-04-2015, 01:32 PM
I saw the trailer for this at a movie I went to this summer. It instantly went on my watch in the theatre list. Not many movies make that list.

Caboose
11-04-2015, 02:40 PM
Saw this video recently, and didn't think to post it here at the time. The premise being that nothing that transpired in Benghazi was actually Hillary's fault. Billy Birdzell is supposedly (as I am not in a position to prove or disprove the claim) of MARSOC, and is typically rather critical of the left, and I want to say Hillary in general. So I thought it was an interesting perspective, posted only for the sake of discussion.

http://youtu.be/4C21iCvpB5w

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Jeep
11-05-2015, 11:16 AM
I don't know whether Hillary was at fault or not. I do know that she lied. Her emails show that she immediately knew it was an AQ-linked attack, and told her daughter and others that.

However, she allowed her department to release a statement saying that it was a demonstration that got out of hand and assured the families that the administration would fully prosecute the Copt filmmaker who created the short video that the administration was claiming resulted in the "demonstration."

Those were lies. She knew better--indeed every senior actor in the government knew better. Yet, they not only lied to the government, they threw that Copt in jail. They had more than a fig leaf to throw him in jail--he apparently had violated his parole by creating the video--but the real reason he was arrested (by a huge multi-agency task force) and thrown back in jail was to create the impression that the murders in Benghazi were the result of his video and not al Qaeda-related action. It was a nasty, political jailing (albeit of an unappealing apparent con man).

It appears that the reason for propagating that lie were to further the administration's claim that it had defeated al Qaeda and was fundamentally reforming the Middle East. In 2015 that claim seems silly, but in 2012 the administration was running on the slogan "Bin Laden Dead, GM Alive."

Whatever the reason, Hillary, and the rest of the administration, spent months trying to perpetuate that lie.

I don't know about others, but I'm personally very tired of being lied to by senior government officials for political advantage. Lefties say that "Bush Lied; People Died." In fact, he thought that Saddam had WMD, so it wasn't a lie. This was a lie because the officials knew better. They knew the truth, tried to hide it from us, and threw a guy in jail to give support to their story.

Dagga Boy
11-05-2015, 12:09 PM
What Birdzall fails to connect is the big unanswered question......why was The Ambassador in Benghazi and what was he doing and why so low profile. The problem I have is one lie after another and then email scrubs. That screams of an issue. The crap he spews about "our values" is that you do not lie to the family of the dead, you don't delete all your emails, and there has not been one bit of accountability for obvious failures. So I guess "my values" and his "values" are not "our" values. Who knows, maybe he can get a job in her administration.

Chance
11-05-2015, 12:49 PM
What Birdzall fails to connect is the big unanswered question......why was The Ambassador in Benghazi and what was he doing and why so low profile.

This. Regardless of what played out on the ground, and the events immediately afterward, Benghazi never should have happened at all. It was an abysmal failure of leadership.

GardoneVT
11-05-2015, 01:40 PM
This. Regardless of what played out on the ground, and the events immediately afterward, Benghazi never should have happened at all. It was an abysmal failure of leadership.

Or the successful concealment of a very secretive operation.Agent Brian Terry's family knows something of that kind of "leadership failure".

UNK
12-28-2016, 09:52 AM
Old thread but here's an interview of the Author. http://millercenter.org/events/2014/perilous-assignments-outsourced-security-and-what-really-happened-in-bengha