PDA

View Full Version : Please explain the Watson HiTS knife - Calling Nyeti

TCinVA
07-28-2015, 11:22 AM
So a while ago I acquired a Joe Watson HiTS...but I know next to nothing about the knife, its features, or the reasons behind the design. I just know it looks like it's built pretty sturdy.

orionz06
07-28-2015, 11:26 AM
In.

:cool:

Wondering Beard
07-28-2015, 12:15 PM
To get you started until Nyeti adds details.

By Hizzie: http://modernserviceweapons.com/?p=8543

LittleLebowski
07-28-2015, 12:42 PM
Tag. I like mine.

imp1295
07-28-2015, 01:07 PM
totally in, if I can find a trainer in stock to go with it.

EricM
07-28-2015, 01:11 PM
Yeah, I've been on the notification list for the trainer for many months and have never seen it come back in stock. :(

1slow
07-28-2015, 02:43 PM
Having a Strider DB and a Watson HiTS it seems that they have similar handle shape and handling characteristics. The DB is optimized as a sharp prybar and the HiTS is optimized to cut and be reasonably tough.
I like both a lot.

Odin Bravo One
07-28-2015, 04:14 PM
Yeah, I've been on the notification list for the trainer for many months and have never seen it come back in stock. :(

PM outbound.

SeriousStudent
07-28-2015, 07:17 PM
When I purchased the live blade, it came with a trainer. I guess that was some sort of package deal offered for a limited time?

I do like mine, and wear it every day at 11:30 in a horizontal carry, with the handle oriented to my centerline. I have found this Galco set of loops to be useful in doing so: http://www.amazon.com/Galco-TBL13-Triton-Belt-Loops/dp/B0048KMJAC/ref=sr_1_18?s=sporting-goods&ie=UTF8&qid=1438129005&sr=1-18

I gave a set of those to nyeti and Joe Watson, I'm not sure if they are using them. Hope that helps.

Dagga Boy
08-03-2015, 07:30 PM
Sorry I missed this.

I have been involved in numerous knife designs over the years with several makers. Obviously,the Strider DB has been the most popular and well proven design in a lot of bad places all over the world and in many roles I never imagined. It also carries a NSN in the DB-L as an issue USMC assaulters knife.

Being retired, I wanted to do a knife that was more geared towards everyday concealed carry and geared towards personal protection and not so much in the "breaking things" role. I met Joe Watson in person at a show and we took the handle from one knife, blade from another, and then discussed various modifications. Joe did a unique reinforced tip that gives the knife great penetration power to get through clothing and barriers, and it allows it to be thinner in the back portion of the cutting edge to allow for better cutting ability. I love how the original blades came out and they fulfill the intended role. The design has morphed into compact editions and into Titanium editions using Joe's elector welded edge that allows for a Ti knife and its benefits that cuts like crazy. When I carry a knife by itself as a primary covert knife, I like the steel HiTS. For a secondary knife or back up to other systems, I use a compact Ti version that I wear pretty much every waking hour around my neck.

As far as trainers....the first knives were shipped with them to encourage training. The HiTS was the first foray into a serious defensive knife for many folks, so Joe and I both thought it would be good to include a trainer. I do not think you need an exact trainer for every knife you have. I think you can get by with something similar that covers numerous different blades.

I am talking to Joe right now about how to do an economical trainer at this point. Joe is spending a ton of time and effort on the trainers now that takes away from makin real knives. We are looking at some options.

Odin Bravo One
08-04-2015, 12:45 AM
And he is just a plain nice guy too........ I enjoy giving my money to people like Joe Watson.

Cecil Burch
08-04-2015, 11:41 AM
I do not think you need an exact trainer for every knife you have. I think you can get by with something similar that covers numerous different blades.

Having done a metric ton of knife-centric training over the past 35 years, I agree 100% with this. Unless the knife has a unique design (like a Clinchpick), or is a specific size (does no good to train with a training blade that is 10" long if what you carry is a folder with a 3" blade), than having a general trainer will work for most blades. At this point in my life, I have literally a gym bag full of nothing but training blades. I really don't need more.

Having played around a few weeks ago with a Watson knife that Craig has, I would much prefer a guy with that kind of talent be doing live blades as much as possible!

Dagga Boy
08-04-2015, 01:29 PM
Thanks Cecil. Joe and I have a very good relationship outside of knife stuff. He is also a heck of a shooter. I essentially told Joe the same thing......let's find a way to do trainers that do not take within an hour or so of work as a live blade. Joe likes things "right", which makes it tough to do things like trainers to be really all they need to be. We are looking at a simple stamped out aluminum blank of similar size to the HiTS and a couple of other blades Joe does,punch some holes to wrap the handle if you want to (100 mph tape also works for what a trainer is for), and go to work.

Joe and I are discussing a new variant on the HiTS with more utility use across the board for folks like GJM and others who need a knife that has some better utility cutting ability than the HiTS, yet maintains the ability to penetrate important human or animal stuff. I would rather Joe spend his time perfecting this than perfecting trainers. Trainers are a critical component to getting good with a blade. I use blue guns and trainers all the time at home and far more than a live gun these days. Those who train with use also know we use blue guns or dedicated training tools in the class room as well, so it is important.......but I use a P30 blue gun and Wayne uses a Glock, and It doesn't seem to be a big deal when transitioning to something else on the range. Knife stuff is the same. You need a good trainer, not a perfect trainer.

Speaking of which.....I own the perfect trainer. When I did the Kiku Matsuda DB knife, he did the most beautiful trainer ever made for me to match my live blade.......it is a $325 trainer. Totally unnecessary, but very cool and I expect that very few will ever be sold.

Dagga Boy
08-04-2015, 01:30 PM
And he is just a plain nice guy too........ I enjoy giving my money to people like Joe Watson.

If we had a like button, this would get it. There are so,e real turds in the knife industry, Joe is a gem in that world in that he is always trying to do the right thing in a very tough industry.

Wondering Beard
08-04-2015, 03:23 PM
For a secondary knife or back up to other systems, I use a compact Ti version that I wear pretty much every waking hour around my neck.

Not to derail this thread too far, what sort of cord/chain do you use for your neck knife. On one hand paracord (like that provided with the HiTS originally) is plenty strong but easy to use to strangle me (happened in an FOF exercise in a manner similar to a lapel choke); on the other, a breakaway chain I tried broke away while drawing the knife.

Dagga Boy
08-04-2015, 06:38 PM
I use para cord tied with two sliders. I fretted for a long time over the choke risk vs how it carries. Been in a crap load of fights without issue, and the one time I was tied up with a bigger opponent and went to the neck knife for real, it drew perfect and was accessible. Life is choices and nothing is ever perfect.

DamonL
08-04-2015, 06:48 PM
Joe and I are discussing a new variant on the HiTS with more utility use across the board for folks like GJM and others who need a knife that has some better utility cutting ability than the HiTS, yet maintains the ability to penetrate important human or animal stuff. I would rather Joe spend his time perfecting this than perfecting trainers.

I was eyeing his Magni and Small Bowie models for that exact reason. I like the tracker Dan sheath option, too.

Wondering Beard
08-05-2015, 11:57 AM
I use para cord tied with two sliders. I fretted for a long time over the choke risk vs how it carries. Been in a crap load of fights without issue, and the one time I was tied up with a bigger opponent and went to the neck knife for real, it drew perfect and was accessible. Life is choices and nothing is ever perfect.

Make sense, thanks :-)

Wondering Beard
08-05-2015, 12:03 PM
Joe and I are discussing a new variant on the HiTS with more utility use across the board for folks like GJM and others who need a knife that has some better utility cutting ability than the HiTS, yet maintains the ability to penetrate important human or animal stuff.

I'm looking forward to that .

Could you please post about it here with the whys and hows of that design variations when it's out?

Wondering Beard
08-05-2015, 12:04 PM
I was eyeing his Magni and Small Bowie models for that exact reason. I like the tracker Dan sheath option, too.

I have both and they're great blades. I still carry the full size HiTS though.

masternave
08-05-2015, 12:26 PM
I want a Magni with the tracker clip so badly… I hope they come back in stock soon.

DamonL
08-05-2015, 09:22 PM
I like the HITS a lot, but I think of a utility knife as having V grind not a chisel grind. I don't own a Magni or small Bowie but based on the specs and pictures the blade would be more utility oriented. The size of the Magni seems right for me, but the design of the small Bowie looks better because there is a little more belly on the edge and I like a deep finger choil. So if Joe made a small Bowie with a 3.5 inch blade, a cord wrapped handle, and two sheaths (tracker Dan and his standard sheath) that would give me my idea of a small utility knife with self defense capabilities. If it was straight utility use, something like the Bark River Necker 2 would fit the bill.

DamonL
08-06-2015, 07:00 PM
One more thing. Joe should find someone who makes trainers for a living and work out a deal with them to make all of Joe's trainers. Then Joe can make real knives all the time.

orionz06
08-06-2015, 07:14 PM
Or just have them waterjetted and touch the edges on a sander. I'd imagine he's getting someone to cut blanks now.

Up1911Fan
08-06-2015, 07:58 PM
I much prefer Joe's trainer's to the NOK's.

SeriousStudent
08-06-2015, 08:58 PM
I like the HITS a lot, but I think of a utility knife as having V grind not a chisel grind. I don't own a Magni or small Bowie but based on the specs and pictures the blade would be more utility oriented. The size of the Magni seems right for me, but the design of the small Bowie looks better because there is a little more belly on the edge and I like a deep finger choil. So if Joe made a small Bowie with a 3.5 inch blade, a cord wrapped handle, and two sheaths (tracker Dan and his standard sheath) that would give me my idea of a small utility knife with self defense capabilities. If it was straight utility use, something like the Bark River Necker 2 would fit the bill.

If you take a look at the grind on a HiTS knife, you will find it has more of a V grind than first appears.

Or mine does, anyway.

Dropkick
08-06-2015, 09:10 PM

You might, but your training partners... not as much.

1slow
08-06-2015, 09:33 PM
NOK's are much better for going full speed, full power and breaking less bones than metal or hard plastic trainers.

Sadmin
08-07-2015, 10:17 AM
You might, but your training partners... not as much.

No joke.. nothing like that damn Spyderco P'Kal trainer scraping across your lats at speed. Paul Sharp commented in class that he can drive one through a football helmet so he prefers to see Noks.

Cecil Burch
08-07-2015, 11:55 AM

Two different niches.

The typical metal trainer is for working access and deployment with a tool that comes close to weight/feel. It is good for essentially shadowboxing.

The NOK style is all about actual hard contact. As some of the others above have written, you DO NOT hit people with any force with any metal trainer. Period. It is too easy to hurt someone. I let people run metal trainers in my class, but they are not allowed to bang hard with it. If they want to get used to applying maximal force contact, I make sure they are running NOKs.

There is a definite need for both in the gear bag.

Dropkick
08-07-2015, 02:37 PM
Two different niches. ... There is a definite need for both in the gear bag.

Well put!!

GJM
08-08-2015, 03:36 PM
Joe and I are discussing a new variant on the HiTS with more utility use across the board for folks like GJM and others who need a knife that has some better utility cutting ability than the HiTS, yet maintains the ability to penetrate important human or animal stuff.

I told my wife that DB was threatening to call this the "G" model, which is comical considering how little I know about knives.

We just came back in from flying 3.5 hours of off airport landings here in SW Alaska. At one point, we spotted a bench up above the tundra that looked land-able. What made it special, was there was a very large brown bear nearby. The way to know if it is a large bear from the air, is you look at the head. If the head looks small, it is generally a big bear. After landing, my wife suggested we name this spot after Darryl. In honor of the small headed bear, Darryl and the headwaters of the Koktuli River, we called it "DB-tuli," and that is how we will refer to it in the future.

Later, my wife landed on a very short and very difficult spot, and asked who at PF we should name that strip after. I told her I would need to think on that. :)

Here is picture from this morning:

http://i250.photobucket.com/albums/gg251/GJMandes/P1000260_zpsgzvjnwnw.jpg (http://s250.photobucket.com/user/GJMandes/media/P1000260_zpsgzvjnwnw.jpg.html)

Dagga Boy
08-08-2015, 05:58 PM
I told my wife that DB was threatening to call this the "G" model, which is comical considering how little I know about knives.

We just came back in from flying 3.5 hours of off airport landings here in SW Alaska. At one point, we spotted a bench up above the tundra that looked land-able. What made it special, was there was a very large brown bear nearby. The way to know if it is a large bear from the air, is you look at the head. If the head looks small, it is generally a big bear. After landing, my wife suggested we name this spot after Darryl. In honor of the small headed bear, Darryl and the headwaters of the Koktuli River, we called it "DB-tuli," and that is how we will refer to it in the future.

Later, my wife landed on a very short and very difficult spot, and asked who at PF we should name that strip after. I told her I would need to think on that. :)

Here is picture from this morning:

http://i250.photobucket.com/albums/gg251/GJMandes/P1000260_zpsgzvjnwnw.jpg (http://s250.photobucket.com/user/GJMandes/media/P1000260_zpsgzvjnwnw.jpg.html)

Short and difficult........toss between Caleb or SLG...;).

I appreciate the name. Makes sense. I have been in Havasu in the water all work! I am sure when you get back in town you will hear of bear sightings in the channel in the channel by he bridge.....:cool:

GJM
08-08-2015, 08:00 PM
Darryl, you have a devilish sense of humor-- I would never have associated the strip being short and difficult with a person's height.