PDA

View Full Version : Active Shooter Training for Children

WDW
07-28-2015, 02:58 AM
As a new father, this topic is foremost on my mind, especially when it seems like there are active shooter scenarios every other week.

I was looking at this...
http://www.bulletblocker.com/bulletproof-laptop-travel-backpack.

Do these seem legit? I'm thinking hiding in place & using this as a shield for the head & torso.

Any input or suggestions on how to go about this topic with a child?

Peally
07-28-2015, 08:54 AM
If you need a bullet resistant backpack you're already dead. The only realistic option I know of so far is leave the scene ASAP.

scw2
07-28-2015, 09:22 AM
I read advice before to teach yourself/family how to recognize the sound of gunfire, especially when you're in a building and there are walls/floors that can distort or muffle the sound.

I guess the other part is having a plan for which way to go if you need to leave an area quickly, and a place to meet up if you get separated from the family. I think alternative routes and meeting points would generally be a good idea as well.

WDW
07-28-2015, 02:42 PM
Guess I should have been more specific. I'm really thinking more of in a school setting when I'm not there. I have a plan for when I'm there.

scw2
07-28-2015, 03:29 PM
Summary of key points for the article below seem like a decent starting point for areas to cover with your kids. I would assume you could turn #2-4 into some sort of game with them to train their instincts, but as someone without kids I cannot give any precise advice on what those games might be...
1. know what gunshots sound like
2. know surroundings
3. run and get out
4. cover vs concealment

http://www.theprepperjournal.com/2014/09/24/teaching-kids-react-active-shooter/

scw2
07-28-2015, 09:24 PM
Guess I should have been more specific. I'm really thinking more of in a school setting when I'm not there. I have a plan for when I'm there.

Have some more time to flesh out my prior response a bit better - didn't mean to come off the wrong way or anything but was at work :)

I didn't grow up around guns, but I recently read an article explaining that even if you are used to the sound of gunfire on the range, the sound is completely different when a shooting and you are in a building due to the distortion of the sound. The article explained that it will sound more like when you're standing outside a range and the sound is muffled.

When I was thinking through how I'd handle being in this situation, if I heard gunfire, I would move away from the sound and get away ASAP since I cannot fight back. This means I would have multiple exit routes already identified so that I can pick one of them that would lead me as quickly away and out the building as possible. You can talk through the various options for a school, so it might be helpful for your kid to know the entire layout of the school (maybe have him do a rough diagram mentally to see if he knows the layout well), with known exits. Also maybe bring up alternative exits in an emergency like a window.

Finally, the cover vs concealment is just useful in general if they need to 'dodge' gunfire as they run or even finding a hiding place. That wasn't something I'd considered too much before, but it's probably worth covering as well in case you need to take cover during the escape and wait for a break in the shooting to keep running.

voodoo_man
07-29-2015, 05:37 AM
Ive been a part of various LE active shooter training scenarios shere we utilized children during in service days for teachers at schools.

Overwhelmingly, the best course of action for a child is either to run away from the area (preferably with the guidance of an adult) or to find a place to hide and learn how to be silent/stealthy. They need to learn that once they hide, even if someone shows them a badge to not open the door unless it is someone they personally know.

I am totally cool with kids hiding so deep that it requires a parent to get them out.

This may be more for teachers however because they may be the ones who can make those desicions very quickly without second guessing themselves.

When you kid goes to school, go talk to the teachers, the principal, etc, they may have an active shooter drill once in a while or a plan of action, ask them to explain it to you and then talk to the PD to see what they're training and ability is like.

One of the scenarios I was in a child opened the door when we ID ourselves as LEO...except we were role playing bad guys...that would have been bad if it was the real thing.

baddean
07-29-2015, 11:28 AM

WDW,
Here is another article, by Greg Ellifritz, that covers school settings very well.
www.activeresponsetraining.net/parents-guide

BN
07-29-2015, 12:55 PM
Our local schools have something called ALICE training. Every so often the local Police Dept has training in the schools for the teachers and students. The kids come home talking about it.

cpd2110
08-06-2015, 09:07 AM
We have ALICE in our schools system but each teacher is different in how they employ the training. Some teachers are very proactive, one has a canned food drive each year. The food goes in the closet and his plan is to use the cans to throw at anyone coming through the door in an active shooter situation. Others gloss over the material and are intimidated by the whole process. I would get to know your kids teachers and get there thoughts.

I teach my kids ADD (Avoid, Deny, Defend) for situations where they are on their own. Avoid if possible, deny access if you cannot avoid and defend if the guy gets through the door. Additionally, when they are with me (I'm a cop and carry most of the time) they know two words STAY/GO. Stay means stay with me I'm going to lead us out of the situation, they know to grab my belt and to keep up. Go means Dad has work to do and you have to get out on your own. The difference in my mind is proximity of the threat. If the threat is immediate my plan is to engage as needed. If I hear shots down the way, my first priority is to get them out and then go back. I know some may disagree with this concept but this is my opinion. We have made a game of stay/go a number of times to practice. Who knows in a real situation if they will go with the plan by the seed has been planted and practiced.

Lastly, we have conversations often when in a business/restaurant where I talk or ask them where are the exits. My wife is conditioned to ask me where I'm sitting in a restaurant etc., the kids are learning about that as well. The gist, regardless of your background, is to teach them to be aware of their surroundings and people and just generally looking for trouble before it happens. If you start them young its just what they do. An example is I have a cop habit of undoing my seatbelt a block or two before I am at the location I'm going. All three of my kids unhook before we pull into our driveway. We have talked about why Dad does it and that they need to be aware of not doing it too early but its funny what they pickup on.

StraitR
08-06-2015, 10:51 AM
Ive been a part of various LE active shooter training scenarios shere we utilized children during in service days for teachers at schools.

Overwhelmingly, the best course of action for a child is either to run away from the area (preferably with the guidance of an adult) or to find a place to hide and learn how to be silent/stealthy. They need to learn that once they hide, even if someone shows them a badge to not open the door unless it is someone they personally know.

I am totally cool with kids hiding so deep that it requires a parent to get them out.

This may be more for teachers however because they may be the ones who can make those desicions very quickly without second guessing themselves.

When you kid goes to school, go talk to the teachers, the principal, etc, they may have an active shooter drill once in a while or a plan of action, ask them to explain it to you and then talk to the PD to see what they're training and ability is like.

One of the scenarios I was in a child opened the door when we ID ourselves as LEO...except we were role playing bad guys...that would have been bad if it was the real thing.

There's a lot of wisdom here. As a parent with my first child approaching school age, I plan on doing much of what has been shared in this post.