PDA

View Full Version : RFI: Culpeper, VA hotels.

MD7305
07-25-2015, 02:24 PM
Looking for some info on Culpeper, VA hotels. I know a lot of trainers instruct in the area and that some folks here might have some insight. I need to book a room for an upcoming class and I was planning using the Holiday Inn Express but it's totally booked that weekend so I gotta find something else or stay in Orange or Warrenton. I stayed at the Microtel last trip and I'd prefer to avoid it this trip. Best Western has good reviews, any suggestions?

MD7305
07-25-2015, 05:58 PM
Thanks, Tom.

TGS
07-25-2015, 06:01 PM
I tried the Comfort Inn one time, trying to be fiscally responsible.

It was disgusting enough that I ended up checking out, paying the night, and booking a night at the Holiday Inn instead. So much for saving money...

So, I would avoid the Comfort Inn.

BJXDS
07-25-2015, 08:07 PM
Looking for some info on Culpeper, VA hotels. I know a lot of trainers instruct in the area and that some folks here might have some insight. I need to book a room for an upcoming class and I was planning using the Holiday Inn Express but it's totally booked that weekend so I gotta find something else or stay in Orange or Warrenton. I stayed at the Microtel last trip and I'd prefer to avoid it this trip. Best Western has good reviews, any suggestions?

Nothing wrong with the Holiday Inn in Orange, and the El Vaquaro restaurant is pretty good if you like Mexican food, there is really not much else to eat in Orange.

jc000
07-25-2015, 09:49 PM
I'd go with Warrenton personally. There are some good places to eat there (awesome pizza at Brick!) pretty safe town, pretty decent gun shop (Triune). Also a little closer to NoVA / Metro DC if you feel like exploring.

MD7305
07-26-2015, 12:22 AM
Thanks for the suggestions. The Microtel wasn't too bad but the walls are very thin, as in hearing my neighbors having graphic, sloppy sex.....All. Night. Long. People of Wal-Mart types, ewww.

trailrunner
07-26-2015, 05:52 AM
The Holiday Inn Express is the newest and nicest choice. When I took a class there last fall, they were full so I stayed at the Best Western. There was a large wedding group there and they were being loud and obnoxious when I checked in in the evening. I thought it was going to be a long night, but they mostly behaved themselves. Otherwise the hotel is nothing special, but on the other hand it wasn't too bad. They had some sort of free breakfast.

Lyonsgrid
07-26-2015, 07:56 AM
I'm staying at the Best Western in September....Hoping it will be decent.

LittleLebowski
07-26-2015, 09:39 AM
What classes are you guys planning for?

MD7305
07-26-2015, 01:36 PM
What classes are you guys planning for?

I'm going to Ernest Langdon's September class.

YVK
07-26-2015, 02:18 PM
I find it interesting that I can't even remember what hotel I stayed at when I went for his class. Probably has something to do with the class itself ).

There were a couple of nice restaurants there too.

LittleLebowski
07-26-2015, 02:24 PM
I'm going to Ernest Langdon's September class.

I hope to join you there (at the class).

MD7305
07-26-2015, 03:12 PM

Awesome! (Thanks for clarifying to the internet that you weren't joining me at the Best Western):p

LittleLebowski
07-26-2015, 03:18 PM
Awesome! (Thanks for clarifying to the internet that you weren't joining me at the Best Western):p

I am not denying it either :D

TCinVA
07-26-2015, 10:24 PM

Weird things happen there, dude.

MD7305
07-27-2015, 01:23 AM
I am not denying it either :D

Somebody call Kenny Loggins, I think I've entered the Danger Zone.

LittleLebowski
07-27-2015, 07:12 AM

Weird things that TCinVA is still in therapy for.

Dropkick
07-27-2015, 09:47 AM
I've had similar bad experiences at the Microtel, and similar good experiences at the Holiday Inn Express.

I think that cluster of hotels there in Culpeper is a case of "you get what you pay for."
But if you really want to gamble, there is the Sleepy Hollow Motel on the northside of Culpeper.

Lyonsgrid
07-27-2015, 10:32 AM

Same here

TGS
07-27-2015, 12:32 PM
But if you really want to gamble, there is the Sleepy Hollow Motel on the northside of Culpeper.

Do tell.

Dropkick
07-27-2015, 01:06 PM
Do tell.

I don't have any experience, but at $65 a night, I can only imagine...

Kyle Reese
07-27-2015, 03:26 PM

Heh. Sounds like a horror movie in the making.

jondoe297
07-29-2015, 12:38 PM
I sent in my registration for said class this morning. See you guys there.

MD7305
07-29-2015, 03:47 PM
I ended up booking at the Best Western. Just a heads up, they weren't showing rooms available online for that weekend of September but upon calling they had some rooms left. I'm not sure what's going on in Culpeper that weekend but all the decent hotels seem to be filling up quick, FYI.

MD7305
07-29-2015, 03:49 PM
I sent in my registration for said class this morning. See you guys there.

Looking forward to meeting the p-fers attending the class, not to mention I'm pretty stoked about the class too!

Lyonsgrid
09-03-2015, 08:14 PM
Looking forward to meeting the p-fers attending the class, not to mention I'm pretty stoked about the class too!

T-minus 23 days...
Who's in?
I'm pumped!
PF GTG for eats?

MD7305
09-03-2015, 08:35 PM
T-minus 23 days...
Who's in?
I'm pumped!
PF GTG for eats?

Yup! I'm in for a meet-n-greet and food, would be awesome if anybody's able!

jondoe297
09-03-2015, 09:21 PM
Yup! I'm in for a meet-n-greet and food, would be awesome if anybody's able!

Count me in. I intend to get in that Friday afternoon/evening.

Lyonsgrid
09-22-2015, 07:27 PM
Getting close. Never been to Culpeper before. I'll be at the Best Western Friday afternoon. What's a good place in town to get some food on Friday night? Who's in?

If you guys already made plans without me, It's ok, I understand. It will be like 9th grade lunch period all over again....I'll be in the band room practicing my Weezer and crying...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PQHPYelqr0E

MD7305
09-22-2015, 10:14 PM
Count me in! My plan is to arrive late Friday afternoon as well. Last time I was up there I ate at a Chick-Fil-A and Chili's but that was about 4 years ago. I seem to recall there's a pretty good selection of stuff there. I'll PM you my number.

LittleLebowski
09-23-2015, 06:47 AM
I will try to make the dinner Saturday. Or lunch, not sure.

jondoe297
09-23-2015, 08:21 AM
I'm still in for a get together. I should be arriving in the area around 1600(ish) Friday.

TCinVA
09-23-2015, 08:26 AM
Count me in! My plan is to arrive late Friday afternoon as well. Last time I was up there I ate at a Chick-Fil-A and Chili's but that was about 4 years ago. I seem to recall there's a pretty good selection of stuff there. I'll PM you my number.

Chillis is tradition because when the PF Posse was getting together regular before cancer fucked it all up, we liked to drink the salsa they serve.

Other great places to eat in Culpepper:

There is a Pancho Villa right by the Best Western and the Holiday Inn. Decent Mexican food (ignore LL when he complains it isn't because his opinion on Mexican food is fucked up), and they do booze too if you're into that sort of thing. There's another PV further into Culpepper proper, but it's not as roomy for a large-ish party.

Shaun's BBQ is damn good if you like BBQ'd hunks of meat.

Thai Culpepper is supposed to be excellent. I haven't been there yet myself, but I trust guys like Murph and Fred on their opinion of the joint.

Pepper's Grill is attached to the BW. The food isn't stellar, but it isn't awful either. The legend of my hair began at Pepper's. On a Friday night, when the moon is right, buses of sketchy people arrive to dance until the light. And get drunk. If nothing else, it's an opportunity for some quality entertainment by watching drunk women fall all over the place or get into fights with each other.

jondoe297
09-23-2015, 08:39 AM
I'd vote Mexican as the first choice, but will defer to Chili's if it's tradition.

TCinVA
09-23-2015, 08:56 AM
I'd vote Mexican as the first choice, but will defer to Chili's if it's tradition.

I'm sure Chilli's will happen after class at least one night...so make Friday about where you guys want to go to meet up. I won't be able to make it to Culpepper Friday.

Just be forewarned that elements which formed legends in Culpepper in days past are again uniting for this event. And there will be an eclipse of the blood moon.

You may never be the same.

jondoe297
09-23-2015, 12:14 PM
What the frakk is going on in Culpeper this weekend? Even the roach motels are booked up.

TCinVA
09-23-2015, 12:48 PM
I'm not sure, but if I had to guess I'd say the horse show. Apparently the area is big for horse people.

LittleLebowski
09-23-2015, 01:17 PM

Mexican food is best food.

Kyle Reese
09-23-2015, 01:43 PM
I can't make it this weekend, gents. :(

Dropkick
09-23-2015, 03:00 PM
What weekend is this all going down? I'm not attending the class, but there's a good chance I might be in Culpeper. It'd be good to catch up with some of you, and meet the rest.

MD7305
09-23-2015, 03:48 PM
I'm sure Chilli's will happen after class at least one night...so make Friday about where you guys want to go to meet up. I won't be able to make it to Culpepper Friday.

Just be forewarned that elements which formed legends in Culpepper in days past are again uniting for this event. And there will be an eclipse of the blood moon.

You may never be the same.

Sorry you won't be there Friday, hopefully another day. I'm not sure about the other...legends, blood moon eclipse? What have I gotten myself into? This has the undertones of some sort Jim Jones Kool-Aid fest, lol.

What weekend is this all going down? I'm not attending the class, but there's a good chance I might be in Culpeper. It'd be good to catch up with some of you, and meet the rest.
This weekend.

Dropkick
09-23-2015, 04:05 PM
This weekend.

Dang, I won't be around. You all enjoy, and try not to burn the town down. :D

TCinVA
09-23-2015, 07:44 PM
That's a shame, dude. Now the only crotch related danger I face is the drunk chicks in Culpepper.

Sorry you won't be there Friday, hopefully another day. I'm not sure about the other...legends, blood moon eclipse? What have I gotten myself into? This has the undertones of some sort Jim Jones Kool-Aid fest, lol.

There was great conversation. Revelation of secrets. Terrified wait staff. And drunk chicks. So. Many. Drunk. Chicks. Like moths to the masculine beacon of my hair.

Dropkick
09-24-2015, 07:52 AM
There was great conversation. Revelation of secrets. Terrified wait staff. And drunk chicks. So. Many. Drunk. Chicks. Like moths to the masculine beacon of my hair.

MUC - Managing Unknown Chicks

LittleLebowski
09-26-2015, 04:21 PM
Any updates on dinner time/place for tonight?