PDA

View Full Version : "Pixels" Review

Hatchetman
07-24-2015, 05:50 PM
An over-the-top f-bomb laced absolute evisceration of the movie Pixels that will leave you snickering if you are a sick puppy like me:

https://www.youtube.com/embed/BFD2293oGvA?feature=oembed

BehindBlueI's
07-24-2015, 07:07 PM
Even the trailers looked like trash. I have less than zero interest in seeing this movie. I'd have to be compensated something on the order of $75/hr to be in the theater it is playing in. More to actually watch it.

Jay Cunningham
07-24-2015, 07:52 PM
It's almost like there's an agenda in Hollywood to produce soul-destroying trash.

Of course that's completely far-fetched.

TCinVA
07-24-2015, 09:06 PM
It's almost like there's an agenda in Hollywood to produce soul-destroying trash.

Of course that's completely far-fetched.

I wonder. I can see the argument for it being some sort of deliberate attempt to see how low the bar can be dropped.

I can also see an argument for an isolated culture that might as well be from another frickin' planet (Hollywood) inbred to the point of absurdity...and then mixed up with a pervasive politically correct impulse that strangles what few shreds of inventiveness that remain.

BehindBlueI's
07-25-2015, 09:47 AM
Meh. There's good and bad with everything. "Inside Out" was a great movie.

Poconnor
07-25-2015, 10:03 AM
My son saw it yesterday with a friends family. He liked it. He's ten years old. He also can't wait for the new Dragon ball Z movie. This is why he is limited to only two hours a day of video games. When I was his age I could watch Ultraman, Space Giants, and Johnny Socko and his giant robot for free on a TV with an antenna! This is progress?

Drang
07-25-2015, 05:56 PM
Howard Taylor does a great webcomic called Schlock Mercenary (http://www.schlockmercenary.com/).

The other day he posted his review (http://www.schlockmercenary.com/blog/pixels-movie-review) of Pixels.

The Happy Madison/Columbia Pictures big-budget, big-screen remake of the brilliant short film "Pixels," by Patrick Jean, could never be as brilliant or cool as the short was. I wanted to see it anyway, and I went in knowing that I was in for 110 minutes of Adam Sandler's "loser makes good" schtick.

My low expectations helped! Also useful: my sons, both avid gamers, were really enthusiastic about seeing the movie, and they weren't at all jaded about the performers (in part because I'm a good parent, so they don't have a dozen hours of Adam Sandler dumped into long-term memory.)

But most surprisingly of all, the film delivered fun video game references without showering us in raunchy Sandlerisms. His character was genuinely likable, and the comedy actually worked.

Adam Sandler in a likable role, funny, and sans raunchyness? That's differant...

Still, did nothing to make me want to go see it, but it didn't make me any more reluctant to do so, either. I was never into video games, so the nostalgic element just isn't there for me.

BaiHu
07-27-2015, 10:35 AM
It took me 1:22s to enjoy him lambasting the movie enough that I feel like I got the best and the worst of both his review and the movie. There was no way I was going to watch a 10 minute rant on a 110 minute long movie.....TEN. MINUTE. LONG. MOVIE. REVIEW. Really? That's an ostentatious rant...WOW!

Luke
07-27-2015, 01:08 PM
Pixels is dumb and have no plan to ever think about watching.

BUT, reason for post was to say that Adam sandler is a main character in the kids movie "Hotel Transalvania". I've seen it a few times with my daughter (3.5 yo) and we both love the movie. In fact, when the 2nd one comes out we will see it in theaters. So, believe it or not he can do a good movie with no cussing or other dumb stuff.