PDA

View Full Version : Dealing with heat?

part-time shooter
07-23-2015, 09:03 PM
This is likely a rookie question but it's one that I haven't solved on my own and Google isn't helping so it's time to ask.

I want to ask those that see a lot of AR's in courses (teaching or taking) and/or routinely run ARs until they are literally so hot you can't touch them what they see as the best way of dealing with heat. I see a lot of AR builds and tons of photo's of AR builds that just leave me wondering if those rifles are ever actually shot. I see things like paracord in the keymod holes on a free floated hand guard. I see people running naked low profile hand guards and wonder just how many mags can you run through that before you can't touch the rifle? 2-3? I can get 50ish rounds off before heat is giving me issues especially with a skinny handguard. This is over the course of a few drills or short courses of fire I'm not just popping off 2 mags.

I'm most interested in real "working" rifles not the photo queens, what actually works to help prolong how many rounds you can fire or how long you can effectively handle the rifle once it's scorching hot? What works? Who makes it? etc. If it's 90+ and the rifle is going to heat up and stay hot what works and what doesn't?

Thanks in advance for any insight anyone can offer me.

Kyle Reese
07-23-2015, 09:09 PM
Gloves are your friend. If you're going to shoot your carbine outdoors in the temps you describe, heat is unavoidable. Even a set of inexpensive Mechanix gloves can greatly enhance your shooting comfort while running a hot carbine.

breakingtime91
07-23-2015, 09:18 PM
Gloves are your friend. If you're going to shoot your carbine outdoors in the temps you describe, heat is unavoidable. Even a set of inexpensive Mechanix gloves can greatly enhance your shooting comfort while running a hot carbine.

^ this. I like PIG Alpha gloves, can be found for 30-35 on amazon.

OnionsAndDragons
07-23-2015, 10:05 PM
I also like the PIG gloves.

Heat is the main reason I have a fore grip on my bad times carbine. I truly prefer not to run a FG, but it is a lot easier to dump a pouch full if you don't have to stick your hand on the hot plate, as it were.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Unobtanium
07-23-2015, 10:55 PM
This is likely a rookie question but it's one that I haven't solved on my own and Google isn't helping so it's time to ask.

I want to ask those that see a lot of AR's in courses (teaching or taking) and/or routinely run ARs until they are literally so hot you can't touch them what they see as the best way of dealing with heat. I see a lot of AR builds and tons of photo's of AR builds that just leave me wondering if those rifles are ever actually shot. I see things like paracord in the keymod holes on a free floated hand guard. I see people running naked low profile hand guards and wonder just how many mags can you run through that before you can't touch the rifle? 2-3? I can get 50ish rounds off before heat is giving me issues especially with a skinny handguard. This is over the course of a few drills or short courses of fire I'm not just popping off 2 mags.

I'm most interested in real "working" rifles not the photo queens, what actually works to help prolong how many rounds you can fire or how long you can effectively handle the rifle once it's scorching hot? What works? Who makes it? etc. If it's 90+ and the rifle is going to heat up and stay hot what works and what doesn't?

Thanks in advance for any insight anyone can offer me.

Gloves. I prefer Mechanix. Cheap and effective. Also keeps you from tearing your hands up shooting a few thousand rounds and manipulating the weapon a corresponding amount over a couple of days.

part-time shooter
07-24-2015, 04:13 PM
Thanks guys,

I've ordered both, big difference in sizing between companies for those. The Mechanix (http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00LB46F5I?psc=1&redirect=true&ref_=oh_aui_detailpage_o00_s00) I ordered are much more heavily built than the PIGs, I'm looking for as much insulation as I can find and those looked like the ticket. The PIGs look like they may work well with a handgun too.

breakingtime91
07-24-2015, 04:34 PM
Thanks guys,

I've ordered both, big difference in sizing between companies for those. The Mechanix (http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00LB46F5I?psc=1&redirect=true&ref_=oh_aui_detailpage_o00_s00) I ordered are much more heavily built than the PIGs, I'm looking for as much insulation as I can find and those looked like the ticket. The PIGs look like they may work well with a handgun too.

Let us know what u think. I've used both and like both, I think you will also

Paul
07-24-2015, 11:47 PM
Between relays, if it's feasible pop the bolt open on the rifle. I haven't put a timer too it, but a rifle with an open bolt seems to cool off quite a bit faster than one with a close bolt.

breakingtime91
07-25-2015, 12:07 AM
Between relays, if it's feasible pop the bolt open on the rifle. I haven't put a timer too it, but a rifle with an open bolt seems to cool off quite a bit faster than one with a close bolt.

interesting, air flow maybe?

Paul
07-25-2015, 08:16 AM
*and the barrel needs to be in a somewhat vertical orientation. Somebody once explained it to me that the opening the bolt creates some sort of "chimney cooling effect" where hot air rises and draws in cool air. He probably read that on the internet, it sounded smart, so it must be true. I don't know why, but it seems to work.

Vinh
07-25-2015, 11:52 AM
As someone who has never worn gloves during classes, I have found a quad rail and traditional panels (KAC, TangoDown, etc) to provide sufficient protection from heat. Mag dumping during classes is also far less frequent these days due to the economy.

Beat Trash
07-25-2015, 02:07 PM
I notice it more with my KMR hand guard. Especially around the area of the gas block. Gloves are a solution during training or during a class, but they aren't always a realistic option. When at work in the heat and humidity of the summer, a non-SWAT LEO can't always run around with gloves on. Sometimes I am in a situation where I'm grabbing the rifle as I am bailing out of the vehicle, so stopping to put a pair of gloves on isn't a viable option.

My Patrol rifle at work has a 13" KMR keypad hand guard. I covered it with the MI covers. They give sufficient texture and enough heat protection during the summer. Keeping in mind that I'm only talking a "load out" of 2-3 magazines, so I wouldn't be throwing a lot of rounds downrange to where heat would be an issue. The covers also help protect the rail as I sometimes am forced to take cover behind things like phone poles and rock walls. Being gentle against cover isn't always the first thing on my mind at the time.

I have a DD V5 lw with ladder rail covers. I don't notice the heat nearly as much in that gun as in my 14.5" KMR rail.

98z28
07-25-2015, 05:49 PM
The KMR does get quickly. I'm also not a fan of gloves. I'd rather have something on the rifle when I need to grab it. BCM has their KeyMod rail covers out: http://www.bravocompanyusa.com/Rail-Covers-s/61.htm. I'll probably give those a try.

breakingtime91
07-25-2015, 06:06 PM
The KMR does get quickly. I'm also not a fan of gloves. I'd rather have something on the rifle when I need to grab it. BCM has their KeyMod rail covers out: http://www.bravocompanyusa.com/Rail-Covers-s/61.htm. I'll probably give those a try.

post some pics/thoughts please

Hambo
07-26-2015, 06:22 AM
I don't like shooting in gloves but when I did I used football gloves. It seemed like I could feel the trigger better with them than with most other types.

One other piece of advice. It's easy to brand yourself on the leg with a hot AR muzzle if you wear shorts.

UNK
07-26-2015, 12:05 PM
Run a wet towel off your belt. Dip in cool water as often as possible. Quench your barrel and guard as often as possible. Helps keep mirage under control. Works in trapshooting. I assume it would work on an AR.

part-time shooter
07-27-2015, 06:24 PM
Let us know what u think. I've used both and like both, I think you will also

You can get both off Amazon in 2 days. The sizes are very different. I wear XL in PIGs, and Medium in Mechanix.

The PIGs look and feel better than the Mpact gloves from mechanix. They are lighter but not nearly as sturdy, they fit tighter and I can run a handgun in them with no issues with the trigger guard. The Mpact gloves are EXTREMELY well padded/soft armored. If heat insulation is what you want then this is your best bet. Both are well made and about $35. I can run any clearance drill in either of them no matter how warm the rifle has become and the palms shield my hands from barrel heat effectively, the mechanix much more so than the PIGs. That's an unscientific comparison as I didn't measure temps but felt heat was lower in the Mpacts due to the much thicker palms and the padding on the mechanix gloves. 2 mags relatively slow fire, to check the zero of a new red dot, and basically to just heat the gun up so I could see which worked better. It was much too hot for bare hands but not a big deal with either of the gloves on but I think I could pull bread from the oven with the Mpacts on and not notice it.

That being said I like the PIGs better. They are cooler to wear and I can feel the surfaces of the rifle/pistol better. They are likely not as durable.

My biggest complaint about the Mechanix gloves is they reek of plastic or some synthetic elastomer that has yet to wear off. They fit great if you use the sizing chart and did exactly what I wanted them to, kept my left palm from melting. They also offer a LOT more protection for the backs and palms of your hands. BUT I can't feel my M&P trigger at all when wearing them and the reset, already hard to detect, is impossible to feel in the Mpacts. A Glock trigger is no issue feeling the reset but the feel of the trigger is still very muted. The PIGS are much better if you are using a handgun as well as your rifle.

That's my best 30 minute lunch break assessment of them both, both brands are worth the money.

Thanks again for the help.