KeeFus
07-20-2015, 09:47 AM
Bringing a knife to a gun fight is always a bad idea. :p

JHC
07-20-2015, 11:01 AM
Dead guy was no Dan Inosanto.

JustOneGun
07-20-2015, 11:26 AM
I always ignored our department when they wanted us to say things like, "Good morning this is officer such and such. You are being audio and video recorded", when he needed to be saying something like, "Show me your hands." I personally believe that no matter how unconscious the line becomes it still interrupts what is really important.

The next things that came to mind were, if the suspect had been moving fast this would have needed to be a retention type shooting and moving works well both on the video and in a retention type shooting. Good job on the officer. Glad he is safe and home with his family.

KeeFus
07-20-2015, 11:51 AM
I always ignored our department when they wanted us to say things like, "Good morning this is officer such and such. You are being audio and video recorded", when he needed to be saying something like, "Show me your hands." I personally believe that no matter how unconscious the line becomes it still interrupts what is really important.

I never heard that line until Mike Lewis' interdiction class. He said that on every traffic stop...something about Maryland law and recording people IIRC. So glad we dont have to preface any interactions with that mantra.

Paul
07-20-2015, 12:12 PM
The officer sat in his car for close to a minute and 40 seconds before he got out of the car. Many times I've been guilty of sitting in the car way too long before getting out. Sometimes it's just the effects of a working mind and time compression, I'm trying to multi task and what I perceive as a few seconds is really a lot longer.

It would have been just easy to step out of the car as sit there. At least if the situation goes south and involved a gun, the officer wouldn't have been trapped in his car.

voodoo_man
07-20-2015, 12:41 PM
And it happens sometimes just that quick.

Peally
07-20-2015, 12:51 PM
These videos are always a great learning experience, glad he made it out safe considering the distances involved. Odd though to see the video out so soon considering the time-stamp says it happened 3 days ago though.

Paul
07-20-2015, 01:06 PM
These videos are always a great learning experience, glad he made it out safe considering the distances involved. Odd though to see the video out so soon considering the time-stamp says it happened 3 days ago though.

After the whole wood carver incident a few years ago, it's be absolutely stupid for Seattle PD to not release a video of a shooting involving someone with a knife. Whether it's good or bad video the PD is much better off being "transparent" and getting the video out there, then letting the imaginations of the media control the story and present the truth.

What you can't say is that another out of control, trigger happy Seattle Officer shot a woodcarver, who was walking around with a knife, minding his own business, and not threatening anyone, just because the officer could.

Edited:
As an example, here's a story from DFW area. Officers shoot a guy who lunged at the officers with a screwdriver. Police Chief stonewalls the media and refuses to make any comment. The lawyer who is suing the department releases the video and gets to control the narrative behind the story. Despite having favorable video, the attorney suing the department gets the most benefit from it.

http://www.dallasnews.com/news/crime/headlines/20150317-experts-clash-over-video-of-dallas-police-shooting-mentally-ill-man.ece

Paul
07-20-2015, 01:30 PM
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qwC-RHsC6gw

Why you need to get video out there, is better explained by Brian Willis.

okie john
07-20-2015, 02:07 PM
After the whole wood carver incident a few years ago, it's be absolutely stupid for Seattle PD to not release a video of a shooting involving someone with a knife. Whether it's good or bad video the PD is much better off being "transparent" and getting the video out there, then letting the imaginations of the media control the story and present the truth.

This.

I live a few miles from where this happened, and there are some other things to bear in mind.
1. This happened in a pretty mellow part of town, so it's unexpected. There's a lot of conversation, mostly by people who are quietly amazed that cops shoot white people, too.
2. Seattle is full of idiots who will protest the actions of our police department for the flimsiest reasons imaginable.
3. SPD is under the yoke of the DoJ at the moment, so the kind of aggressive policing that they usually do is not happening as much as before.
4. As a result of Points 2 & 3 above, our gangsters are vigorously shooting each other up right now. The local media, especially the Seattle Times, downplays it to the best of their ability, but at some point, SPD officers will end up shooting some of these people. When that happens, the idiots will come out in force to screech about how certain lives matter more than others.

Controlling the narrative will be vital in keeping a lid on any nonsense that arises out of this shooting, and that will lay a foundation for addressing the nonsense that will surely follow once our cops are allowed to police gangs in the way they alone know best.

Okie John