PDA

View Full Version : Dayton, OH

SLG
07-17-2015, 08:12 PM
Wasn't sure where to post this.

Can anyone recommend a good gun store in the area? How about a range?

Thanks very much.

Lon
07-17-2015, 08:37 PM
Since it's my AO, I'll tell you what I know.

There's 3 big gun stores 10-15 minutes north of Dayton in Vandalia and Tipp City. Vandalia Range and Armory, Vandalia Tactical and Olde English Outfitters in Tipp City. If your looking for tactical stuff, the two in Vandalia have more "tactical" stuff. Olde English has more hunting and more "vintage" stuff. Full disclose, I'm related to the owners of Olde English and teach there. But I also know guys that work at both the other shops, having worked with or teach with them. Prices are pretty close at all three, I think. The Vandalia Range and Armory has a great indoor range from what I hear but they make you shoot their ammo I think.

There are a butt load of smaller shops in the Dayton area. There's another range just outside Vandalia that's indoor/outdoor called the Miami Valley Shooting grounds. Don't know much about it. 30 minutes away in Springfield is a second facility for Miami Valley Shkkting Grounds that's a really nice indoor range.

South of Dayton in Moraine is a placed called Sim Trainer. Indoor range but don't know much about it. Some other outdoor ranges if you know someone whose a member (might be someone on PF). Or if you want to shoot outside and it's at a time when I can be there, you can use our PD which is about 25 minutes east of Dayton.

Lon
07-17-2015, 08:40 PM
I've seen the facility at Vandalia R&A. It is a really nice range but I've never used it. They have a 100yd indoor rifle range I believe.

Drang
07-17-2015, 08:41 PM
I've seen the facility at Vandalia R&A. It is a really nice range but I've never used it. They have a 100yd indoor rifle range I believe.

Is that the one where they do the big trap/skeet match?

SLG
07-17-2015, 08:41 PM
Lon,

Thanks very much. Definitely not looking for tactical, more for a good used gun section.

Not sure if my schedule will allow for range time, but I'd love to meet up and shoot if we can.

Lon
07-17-2015, 08:43 PM
Is that the one where they do the big trap/skeet match?

The used to hold the Grand American trap match across the street from the R&A. Haven't done that for years though.

Lon
07-17-2015, 08:46 PM
Lon,

Thanks very much. Definitely not looking for tactical, more for a good used gun section.

Not sure if my schedule will allow for range time, but I'd love to meet up and shoot if we can.

All three have a decent section of used guns. Olde English generally has more "collectable" used guns. They have a case right inside the door that usually has some nice collectable used guns plus more used guns sprinkled through the cases. The two in Vandalia have a good supply of used carry guns and "tactical" rifles.

Hit me up if you think you have time. I work days M-F. We can use the PD range anytime on MWF and Saturday.

ExUmbra
04-18-2018, 01:35 PM
Sorry for bringing this post up to life.
Is this recommendation still valid?
IŽll be just north of Dayton the whole next week for private training.

Since it's my AO, I'll tell you what I know.

There's 3 big gun stores 10-15 minutes north of Dayton in Vandalia and Tipp City. Vandalia Range and Armory, Vandalia Tactical and Olde English Outfitters in Tipp City. If your looking for tactical stuff, the two in Vandalia have more "tactical" stuff. Olde English has more hunting and more "vintage" stuff. Full disclose, I'm related to the owners of Olde English and teach there. But I also know guys that work at both the other shops, having worked with or teach with them. Prices are pretty close at all three, I think. The Vandalia Range and Armory has a great indoor range from what I hear but they make you shoot their ammo I think.

There are a butt load of smaller shops in the Dayton area. There's another range just outside Vandalia that's indoor/outdoor called the Miami Valley Shooting grounds. Don't know much about it. 30 minutes away in Springfield is a second facility for Miami Valley Shkkting Grounds that's a really nice indoor range.

South of Dayton in Moraine is a placed called Sim Trainer. Indoor range but don't know much about it. Some other outdoor ranges if you know someone whose a member (might be someone on PF). Or if you want to shoot outside and it's at a time when I can be there, you can use our PD which is about 25 minutes east of Dayton.

rjohnson4405
04-18-2018, 03:20 PM
Yeah, those are still the better gun shops I think.

There is a new range called Point Blank south of Dayton that is decent.