PDA

View Full Version : C&R fans

Kyle Reese
09-06-2011, 05:31 AM
I'll admit, I'm a sucker for historic firearms. :D

Anyone else here a fan of C&R firearms? If so, it's ok.

You're among friends here. :cool:

TCinVA
09-06-2011, 07:35 AM
I own more C&R eligible guns than anything else...but sadly I've never fired most of them.

Tamara
09-06-2011, 08:56 AM
Well, I have fifteen Mausers alone, and that's to say nothing of the Mosins and Enfields and Arisakas and Springfields and Berthiers and...

Yeah, I likes me some old rifles. :o

Josh Runkle
09-06-2011, 10:28 AM
Worthless without pics!

Tamara
09-06-2011, 10:41 AM
There are a bunch of pics of some of my rifles at my C&R blog (http://cosmolineandrust.blogspot.com/). A lot of the long gun pics are by Oleg, too, and wallpaper-worthy, if you're addicted to that cosmoline smell like I am.

jetfire
09-06-2011, 10:50 AM
I used my C&R license as a gateway to buy silly pistols, many of which I've since sold. Tam probably remembers the revolving door of pre-1950s era Berettas I had, from little chrome .25s and up to a way-cool 1951E model that I wish I hadn't sold.

jslaker
09-06-2011, 12:11 PM
I hold a C&R because I wanted to pick up a couple of cheap Mosins and a CZ-82 (and possibly a CZ-52) just because. But haven't gotten around to it in the year and a half I've had it.

So far all my C&R's actually been used for is to get cheap parts from Brownell's. :cool:

TGS
09-06-2011, 12:45 PM
I've got a Swiss K31. I love the K31. I'd also like to get my hands on a dial-sight Swedish 38 Mauser.

More antique than C&R, but I've also got a model 1878 Vetterli. I also have a near-mint condition Mauser ES340b .22 vet bring back, though it's not really the typical C&R gun, in addition to a WWII Mauser HSc and Mauser 1914.

Kyle Reese
09-06-2011, 01:02 PM
I've got a Swiss K31. I love the K31. I'd also like to get my hands on a dial-sight Swedish 38 Mauser.

More antique than C&R, but I've also got a model 1878 Vetterli. I also have a near-mint condition Mauser ES340b .22 vet bring back, though it's not really the typical C&R gun, in addition to a WWII Mauser HSc and Mauser 1914.

I just cleaned up my K31 yesterday. Sprayed some Wipe Out in the bore and watched as blue ooze came out of the muzzle.

I bought it in 2002/2003, fired it a few times, and in the safe it went. For some reason I have been on a Swiss kick of sorts lately. It's a 1942, and some GP 11 ammo will be arriving for it this week.

Tamara
09-06-2011, 01:05 PM
For some reason I have been on a Swiss kick of sorts lately.
Swiss bliss (http://cosmolineandrust.blogspot.com/2007/08/schmidt-rubin-gew-9611-like-swiss-watch.html). :cool:

Kyle Reese
09-06-2011, 01:08 PM
Swiss bliss (http://cosmolineandrust.blogspot.com/2007/08/schmidt-rubin-gew-9611-like-swiss-watch.html). :cool:

Awesome!

JAD
09-06-2011, 01:41 PM
Loves me some K31s. I have two; one is in original condition, and the other has been converted to a Scout rifle of sorts. I'm still futzing with the stock a little and haven't shot it much. If someone could send me a how-to link on posting pics, I'd be thrilled.

TGS
09-06-2011, 02:16 PM
It'd be awesome to find some of the grease, or something similar, that the Swiss used. It's amazing the condition these rifles' metal is in, and they don't do any of the detailed cleaning that Americans do. Truly beautiful and a pleasure to shoot.

I don't know why that guy from Cold Steel doesn't make the K31 his official tactical rifle.

LIGHTING BOLT! WORK THE BOLT! WORK THE BOLT!

Lol. I just ruined this thread with the mention of him. :D

Edit: I would die to get a Zfk55!!!!!

Tamara
09-06-2011, 02:32 PM
It'd be awesome to find some of the grease, or something similar, that the Swiss used. It's amazing the condition these rifles' metal is in, and they don't do any of the detailed cleaning that Americans do.
I've been trying to work up an article or column based around this for the last few years, but look at old Swiss or Finnish or Swedish service rifles (or U.S. or British ones that never left their homelands and have therefore been spared decades of purgatory in Mediterranean or Southwest Asian armories) and you can tell which countries had a "Cult of the Rifle".

Kyle Reese
09-06-2011, 03:42 PM
Edit: I would die to get a Zfk55!!!!!

You and me both, brother. I'd like to bench it and see how accurate it can be with GP 11 and carefully crafted handloads.

It'd be awesome to find some of the grease, or something similar, that the Swiss used. It's amazing the condition these rifles' metal is in, and they don't do any of the detailed cleaning that Americans do.

I'm not sure, but mine is lubed with Frog Lube paste now. The bore did have some copper fouling, but it's in marvelous shape, compared to some of the K98's and Mosins I've seen. I believe the Swiss always issued non corrosive ammunition for the K31's, and I've never heard anyone complain about getting a serer pipe bore.

TGS
09-06-2011, 04:45 PM
You and me both, brother.

Let's do a joint ownership deal, sort of like a timeshare. :D We could afford this one:
http://www.simpsonltd.com/product_info.php?products_id=19969&osCsid=6e3c20cf55a694e3f389c1394347d5a2

I figure partial ownership is the only way I'll be able to afford my biggest obsession as well:
http://www.trade-a-plane.com/detail/Single+Engine+Piston/Grumman/FM-2+Wildcat/1342115.html

Wheeler
09-07-2011, 09:08 PM
There are a bunch of pics of some of my rifles at my C&R blog (http://cosmolineandrust.blogspot.com/). A lot of the long gun pics are by Oleg, too, and wallpaper-worthy, if you're addicted to that cosmoline smell like I am.

I'm starting to figure out Oleg's source for really cool guns to take pictures of. :)

Kyle Reese
09-08-2011, 02:04 PM
I'm going to shoot my K31 at the NRA Range tomorrow night. :D

TGS
04-17-2012, 05:21 PM
If anyone has a copy of Jon Speed's "Mauser Smallbores" book, I'd definitely appreciate it if you'd consider selling it. I found a copy on gunbroker that I'm bidding on, but who knows if I'll win.

I took the K31 out the other day, and it reinvigorated my affection. Check out this....it's gotta be the most beautiful K31 (http://www.gunbroker.com/Auction/ViewItem.aspx?Item=282036214) I've ever seen. I've been playing around with being irresponsible and just buying it. It's got a Furter rear sight, as well as a Gehmann diopter set.

ETA: The only thing that bugs me about that K31 is that it doesn't have a cartouche on the stock. So, if I wanted one that beautiful, I could just buy a walnut stocked K31, sand and refinish it, and save some money. At the same time.....those Gehmann sights, and the Furter sight especially, are quite rare and hard to come by. The tiger striping and grain in that wood is also magnificent.

LittleLebowski
04-17-2012, 08:38 PM
I started and stopped with a cherry CG63. 1903 marked receiver, 29" free floated match barrel, diopter sights, two stage trigger, just danged wonderful.

LHS
04-18-2012, 02:47 AM
I love WWI and WWII-vintage C&Rs. I only wish I had been born about 40 years earlier so I could have gotten in on them when they were affordable. At this point, the chances of my ever owning a BAR, StG44, MG34, M12 trench gun, or my holy grail, the FG42, are slim to none. Even the good Mausers are pretty much all gone, or commanding stupid high prices, especially for the high turret mount I'd love to have. So I make do by buying pretty much every Collector Grade book ever made.

Joe in PNG
04-18-2012, 05:34 AM
I've got a thing for pre-war pocket pistols, especially if I happen to see one that is really cheap. So far this trip home, I've picked up a rough yet working re-blued Colt 1903 pocket .32 and a really pitted S&W .38 Safety Hammerless top break... which once I put a new firing pin in it, shot pretty well.
But my real desire is for some of those strange pre WWI Euro autos in those strange pre WWI Euro auto calibers.