PDA

View Full Version : Milwaukee, Wisconsin

ReverendMeat
07-12-2015, 04:34 PM
So I just moved from Oregon to Milwaukee and am looking for some input from anybody familiar with the state and/or city.

Good gun shops (of course, also looking for employment and I've got a few years experience there), shooting ranges, restaurants, things to do, etc.?

Any "bad parts" of town that I should avoid?

And regarding carry laws. I've never seen so many "no guns allowed" signs in my life until I got here, and from what I've read they seem to carry force of law in some manner. I'm confused about the specifics though--the signs count as proper notification, but on top of that would I also have to be asked to leave until I'm breaking the law, or am I breaking the law the second I walk into the building? It also seems that "concealed" knives are regulated the same way, but is a knife carried with the clip showing considered concealed?

I noticed the local library has a no guns sign as well, but libraries are not prohibited and are public property, and WI has preemption laws that prohibit localities from restricting gun rights further than state level (from what I understand. I'm not a lawyer and reading the laws makes my head hurt).

Again, any input and advice would be appreciated.

breakingtime91
07-12-2015, 05:45 PM
I can't wait to move back to Wisconsin! I have not lived there since concealed carry passed (military) so I should probably read up also. Milwaukee has always been notoriously anti gun in my opinion. If you get a chance, Kenosha is a booming town down south. I was born there in the early 90s and it is a great place to live/find jobs.

smithjd
07-12-2015, 06:18 PM
I try to stay as far away as possible, so I Avoid both the North and the South side ;). We do get down there for training from time to time and have seen some parts of the hood, but can't give you specifics. It is one of the most segregated cities in the U.S. and has already met last year's homicide numbers, so the trajectory of the curve is in the wrong direction. CCW is still relatively new in WI, although many in that area have been doing it for years. Just after it passed, a CCW shot an armed robber in a posted store. Don't think anything bad came of it for them. It is basically trespassing, with small forfeitures.

My daughter did her last couple years at UW Milwaukee and never had an issue, so it can be done. Pretty sure some locals can fill you in with current gouge.

Midwest Industries has a showroom out in Waukesha. I try to stop by when down there. They have a good selection and are good guys. Cabelas also has a nice store in Richfield. Bravo Company is down there, but they do not have a storefront.

Joe in PNG
07-13-2015, 01:53 AM
Delivered pizzas there about 20 years ago. Back then, anything North or West of Marquette was pretty scary, and generally poor tippers to boot.

JHC
07-13-2015, 06:37 AM
I can't wait to move back to Wisconsin! I have not lived there since concealed carry passed (military) so I should probably read up also. Milwaukee has always been notoriously anti gun in my opinion. If you get a chance, Kenosha is a booming town down south. I was born there in the early 90s and it is a great place to live/find jobs.

I was born and raised in a the rural area between Twin Lakes and Wilmot in Kenosha Co. Pretty country albeit not the prettiest the state has to offer. Although all the extended fam is up there I'd never live there again after many years in TX then GA. The laws have improved but the leftiness that has seeped so deeply into their DNA would drive me nuts.

I mean Montana for fucksakes man! Glorious.

Peally
07-13-2015, 08:27 AM
As far as I recall carrying onto posted property you can be asked to leave, otherwise it's a trespass misdemeanor. I've never really worried about it, half the time the twits running posted places make it fine print on the bottom of one door.

Welcome to WI, although I don't know if you picked the right city :D

breakingtime91
07-13-2015, 10:16 AM
I was born and raised in a the rural area between Twin Lakes and Wilmot in Kenosha Co. Pretty country albeit not the prettiest the state has to offer. Although all the extended fam is up there I'd never live there again after many years in TX then GA. The laws have improved but the leftiness that has seeped so deeply into their DNA would drive me nuts.

I mean Montana for fucksakes man! Glorious.

I know, but my wife and I are both from there and we actually plan on settling around Madison. I can tune out most of the leftist stuff so no issue there.

ReverendMeat
07-13-2015, 12:34 PM
As far as I recall carrying onto posted property you can be asked to leave, otherwise it's a trespass misdemeanor. I've never really worried about it, half the time the twits running posted places make it fine print on the bottom of one door.

Welcome to WI, although I don't know if you picked the right city :D

The move and the city wasn't really my choice (old lady is doing a grad program at UWM) but after coming from the Portland, OR area Milwaukee feels pretty much the same. Except I never saw no-gun signs in Portland, but glad to know it won't be much of an issue

Sal Picante
07-13-2015, 05:05 PM
There's a pretty vibrant USPSA and IDPA scene in WI. Lot of matches pretty regularly - if you want info, maybe you can see who else is into the same stuff you are.

JTQ
07-13-2015, 05:26 PM
It's been a long time since I passed through Milwaukee, but at the time, "The Safe House" I believe it was called, was a pretty cool bar, with a James Bond type spy kind of theme.

Peally
07-13-2015, 06:19 PM
There's a pretty vibrant USPSA and IDPA scene in WI. Lot of matches pretty regularly - if you want info, maybe you can see who else is into the same stuff you are.

IDPA in Ripon, Racine, and Sturgeon Bay pretty heavily; USPSA is great in Rhinelander and way out West (I think Ripon runs it too). 3/Multigun spread all over the state. Lots of competition although I wish USPSA would feature more heavily in the Green Bay area since I hate driving.

If you shoot any of those three sports http://wisconsinshooters.com/joomla16/ is the go-to site for all your results and finding match hosts in the state (they've got steel challenge and cowboy action clubs on there too).

klake575
07-13-2015, 09:54 PM
Not sure where in Milwaukee you are, but there are some definite areas to avoid. Anything north of north ave to about browndeer rd is questionable. East of 84th to humbolt for east west borders. If you are looking for a good outdoor range that is growing changing look at Schultz gun club in Muskego.

lightning fast
07-15-2015, 07:44 AM
So I just moved from Oregon to Milwaukee and am looking for some input from anybody familiar with the state and/or city.

Good gun shops (of course, also looking for employment and I've got a few years experience there), shooting ranges, restaurants, things to do, etc.?

First, welcome!
Second, which part of the area are you living in?

Can offer recommendations based on what you're into.

Nailed it.
There's Badger IDPA and a club in Ripon.

For USPSA, there's Schultz's, NISA, Oconomowoc, Fox Valley, and Ripon (think I got them all).

I think there's 3 Gun in Winnequah, and Steel Challenge there along with Schultz's.

Not sure where in Milwaukee you are, but there are some definite areas to avoid. Anything north of north ave to about browndeer rd is questionable. East of 84th to humbolt for east west borders. If you are looking for a good outdoor range that is growing changing look at Schultz gun club in Muskego.

Schultz is really the only range worthwhile in the area. Though you do have to jump through some hoops to be able to shoot there like you want (draw from a holster, etc).

I've worked in just about all of the "bad areas." They're not that bad. Don't be stupid and don't go there at stupid times; you'll be fine.

ReverendMeat
07-15-2015, 03:01 PM
lightning fast, thanks for the welcome! I'm on the east side a few blocks south of UWM.

Thanks all for the match info, once I get a new source of income I'm gonna have to check them out