PDA

View Full Version : Taser Axon Flex mounting options

Paul
07-12-2015, 02:32 PM
What are you guys using for Axon Flex camera mounts? Looks like I'm going to have one pretty soon.

The supplied mounts are the Oakley and Epaulette. I wear glasses so the Oakley is out. With a vest on I'm a hunch back and the epaulette just won't work for me.

How well do the head mounts work with glasses? Is the collar mount any good?

I'm not digging the cyborg look of the Oakley mount, but the quality of video with a head mount is hard to argue with.

John Hearne
07-12-2015, 02:43 PM
I really like the Oakley mount as it makes the camera track with your head. IIRC, Oakley will make you prescription lenses for those frames.

Paul
07-12-2015, 03:14 PM
I've tried in the past, the prescription Oakleys are a no go, due to the strength of my prescription there is too much curve in the frame and lenses. Plus they don't do bifocals.

KeeFus
07-12-2015, 03:33 PM
... Plus they don't do bifocals.

I never needed glasses until this year. I went from 20/20 to needing bifocals in a year...although I probably needed them earleir but was in denial. I wanted some Oakleys and saw this on their webpage.

Ptrlcop
07-12-2015, 07:07 PM
Collar mount for general stuff. I like having the ability to throw it on glasses or the skull crusher for high priority calls

Paul
07-12-2015, 07:12 PM
skull crusher

Is that an affectionate term or is it a real skull crusher, i.e. becomes painful to wear?

Heck I'll probably buy the mounts from Taser and just try them out. Not cheap but I've wasted money on worse.

Ptrlcop
07-12-2015, 07:26 PM
Honestly I've only played with it as I use the glasses and collar. It seemed fine 10min at a time.

Chuck Whitlock
07-14-2015, 09:40 AM
I'm constantly flipping my sunglasses up when entering buildings and whatnot, and the headband thing isn't adjustable and doesn't fit my grape. The collar mount bugs me the least of anything, and is what I'm currently using. I would much prefer the body cam to the flex cam, as we have connection issues on and off.

Paul
07-14-2015, 10:23 AM
How's the video quality with the collar mount? Do slings, vest/plate carriers, mess with the mount?

I think the powers that be decided to go with the Flex over the chest mounted based on the quality of head mounted video. Then of course we don't spec out a head mount.

Chuck Whitlock
07-14-2015, 11:39 AM
I'm not using those things on duty, so I really can't help you there. I can sure see potential interference issues. IIRC, that collar band is also supposed to work with a ballcap, if that is something that affects you. Taser doesn't seem to offer any instructions with their accessories.

Lon
09-06-2018, 02:19 AM
I'm reviving this necropost to see if anyone has some new info or opinions. I'm gonna try to get the brass to look at the Axon Flex cameras because our Digital Ally cameras suck.

Vista461
09-06-2018, 03:04 AM
We switched this year to the Flex 2 body cam and their squad cams. I like them. For the body cam I use a collar mount. It works well for me and stays put.