PDA

View Full Version : Off-Duty Badge Carry Methods

MD7305
07-05-2015, 09:08 PM
After looking through the EDC thread I got to thinking about how us off-duty coppers carry badges. I recall Force Science or someone doing a study that concluded that the best off-duty/plain clothes badge placement was on a chain, badge hanging over your chest being easiest to see or identify.
I previously used a standard, leather belt clip until our department got new HUGE, heavy, jewelry-quality badges. If I carry it on the belt, under a t-shirt it looks like an off center rodeo belt buckle. I can literally conceal a full size pistol easier. Necklace chain is the same thing, very difficult to conceal. Currently I use a credential wallet that contains only a badge and department identification. The biggest draw back to this method I think would be it's not as readily visible as a belt clip or necklace and it requires some effort to access and display it.

So what do you guys use? Anybody have any other methods or suggestions?

Edit: Study was done by KCPD http://www.bluesheepdog.com/2013/03/08/kcpd-badge-placement-study/

SLG
07-05-2015, 09:19 PM
...until our department got new HUGE, heavy, jewelry-quality badges. If I carry it on the belt, under a t-shirt it looks like an off center rodeo belt buckle. I can literally conceal a full size pistol easier.

Maybe put straps on it and wear it on you other strong arm? :-)

MD7305
07-05-2015, 09:44 PM
Maybe put straps on it and wear it on you other strong arm? :-)

Ha! That's an idea...

SLG
07-05-2015, 09:57 PM
Actually, I'm friends with the guy that conducted and wrote that study up. I have a few questions about it that we're going to discuss this week. I'm also looking for a better way to deal with the off duty IFF issue.

MD7305
07-05-2015, 10:08 PM
Great timing! I'd be interested to hear if you guys come up with.

Mr Pink
07-05-2015, 10:19 PM
Back my military days we did a lot of scenarios for low profile assaults in civilian clothes. We continually had blue on blue using simunitions. Best course of action for us was to use two methods of friendly identification...one on the chest plate and the other on a hat. The badge on a chain would be equal to our chest plate, but maybe consider a carrying a hat/cap with POLICE on it.

Erick Gelhaus
07-05-2015, 10:28 PM
Before the study had come out, I shifted from a belt worn badge to one on a neck chain. Did it when the office switched to proximity cards for office building entry.

Re Mr Pink's comment, have seen several photos over the years of plain clothes / UC Israeli cops using unstructured, lo-pro but obviously POLICE marked caps during enforcement situations - much more than I've ever seen domestically with local or local/fed events. Might well be a better combination.

pablo
07-05-2015, 11:08 PM
IMO, unless you're required by policy to carry a badge off duty, it's one of those things that's best left at home. I haven't carried a badge off duty in years and I haven't missed it.

The only thing I've ever seen off duty cops do with a badge is wave it around like it's some sort of magical shield and get involved in crap that they had absolutely no business being involved in.

If the badge is flat enough AIWB is a good place, it won't tear holes in your shirts, and if you find yourself in the middle of a robbery with a shotgun stuck in your face and your pockets frisked, it's not likely to get found out and executed.

jnc36rcpd
07-06-2015, 12:26 AM
Off duty, I carry my badge and identification in my off-side back pocket. I've done it since 1980 which proves that I'm old rather than right. My thinking is that I can present my pistol and credentials when off duty. That said, I recall Jimmy Cirillo's advice to hold the badge case up and rotate it so responding officers have a visual indication that you might be a cop.

I do use a neck chain when wearing a soft academy uniform of polo shirt and cargo pants.

All this said, while I think neck chains are probably the best equipment option, these confrontations will always be a hot mess No matter what one wears, some police or armed citizen, leaking adrenaline out the eyeballs, may take a shot at you. My suggestion is to holster as quickly as possible, get back to wall, and wait for responding and uniformed co-workers.

drummer
07-06-2015, 04:27 AM
This is a topic ive put some thought into over the years working plain clothes and for off-duty.

Off duty, I carry my badge and creds in my off side back pocket, figuring I'd do the one handed grab and hold above head thing if needed.

I met the guy a couple of years ago that invented the "sash". While I didnt think it was a bad idea I dint know many cops who would be willing to purchase and carry it around.

The hat idea though, has merit. Especially given that first spear is niw selling that foldable hat.

KeeFus
07-06-2015, 05:29 AM
Part of our in-service last year was a 2 hour block on "Responding to Crimes Off-Duty". Part of that lesson plan was not being shot by responding officers. Another method of notifying incoming officers of your LEO status should you become involved in something off-duty would be to use the "halo" hold on your badge. I dislike the chain around the neck which is why I still carry my badge on a clip on my belt or in my left front pocket. Should I get involved I intend on using the "halo" hold for responding units. I think the most important thing though is not to get into a pissing contest with responding LEO's who challenge you and possibly dont know you.

The most effective badge position we identified was when the PC officers' held their
badges high above their heads, rotating the badge around like a halo. This allowed the
badge to be presented in all directions, as close to 360 degrees as possible.
Contact teams were less apt to engage these PCs because they recognized the position as
less threatening, even though the PC held a gun in the other hand. This position drew the
attention of contact officers and bought enough time for them to focus on the raised hand
holding the badge.

Sgt. Michael Harding
Tactics & Survival Training Unit
Los Angeles County (CA) SD
mmhardin@lasd.org

http://www.forcescience.org/fsnews/print/fsnews216.pdf

MD7305
07-06-2015, 07:11 AM
Lots of good advice, thanks. I'm currently carrying my cred wallet in my back, left pocket with the intent I'd access and display it with my left hand allowing me to keep a pistol on my right hand.

My agency policy specifies carrying a badge and PD identification if carrying off-duty.

ST911
07-06-2015, 07:31 AM
I use a small, dedicated cred wallet for badge and ID. It can be left at home, hidden or displayed in a variety of ways, or ditched. It works about equally well for off-duty and plain clothes carry. I find the belt-mounted badge more of a cultural than functional thing, and abandoned that years ago.

BehindBlueI's
07-06-2015, 08:23 AM
Our badge is a little on the large size as well. I wear it clipped to my belt, but the clip has a chain in a velcro pocket and you can just pull it out through the top and hang it around your neck if need be. If nothing else, I just put it in my pocket, badge side facing in.

ST911
07-06-2015, 09:22 AM
I previously used a standard, leather belt clip until our department got new HUGE, heavy, jewelry-quality badges. If I carry it on the belt, under a t-shirt it looks like an off center rodeo belt buckle. I can literally conceal a full size pistol easier.

Our badge is a little on the large size as well.

Popular designs/shapes are often available in compact sizes or lighter weight materials. I've had several badges made over the years for different purposes. Worth checking out.

SLG
07-06-2015, 09:31 AM
Part of our in-service last year was a 2 hour block on "Responding to Crimes Off-Duty". Part of that lesson plan was not being shot by responding officers. Another method of notifying incoming officers of your LEO status should you become involved in something off-duty would be to use the "halo" hold on your badge. I dislike the chain around the neck which is why I still carry my badge on a clip on my belt or in my left front pocket. Should I get involved I intend on using the "halo" hold for responding units. I think the most important thing though is not to get into a pissing contest with responding LEO's who challenge you and possibly dont know you.

The most effective badge position we identified was when the PC officers' held their
badges high above their heads, rotating the badge around like a halo. This allowed the
Contact teams were less apt to engage these PCs because they recognized the position as
less threatening, even though the PC held a gun in the other hand. This position drew the
attention of contact officers and bought enough time for them to focus on the raised hand
holding the badge.

Sgt. Michael Harding
mmhardin@lasd.org

This is what I currently prefer for badge use.

The best way to not get shot while involved is to change you profile. That is, if you look like SWAT, you will be fine. A step down would be uniform patrol. A step or two down would be a Trucker type hat (big and obvious, not cool) and raid jacket with visible armor under it. Police markings all around. Another step down would be raid jacket and hat only. Then just one or the other. The more you can change your profile, the safer you will be. The issue is: when all you have is a badge or creds on you, what do you do then?

The badge on a chain has always given me problems. Too easy to get flipped around while running or fighting. Obscured from most sides when your gun is extended.

L-2
07-06-2015, 10:00 AM
Have the badge & holder w/chain ready-to-go in your pocket or already worn around the neck, but under one's shirt. If the badge is really too large even to put in one's pocket, consider getting a smaller badge for off-duty use.

voodoo_man
07-06-2015, 11:56 AM
When I worked narc I carried it in my pocket on a clip, no chain. I found that to be the best and most versatile method.

When I needed to ID myself to another officer id tell them who I was then reach into my pocket to get my badge.

When I had to ID to suspects id have it in my hand in my pocket, so if they ran I could put it back into my pocket quickly. I nearly lost a badge on a chain running after someone.

also on a clip, I use the clip to attach to my t shirt collar. It looks weird so people notice it faster, or when im doing something I need a badge out and need two hands thats where I put it, like 2 oclockish on my collar.

Off duty its badge in wallet. Only time im showing that is when I need to ID to another officer.

Trooper224
07-06-2015, 06:02 PM
I carry my badge with my credentials in a wallet in my left rear pocket so as to have easy access to it with my off hand, the same reason why my cell phone is in my left front pocket. I don't carry a badge on my belt as I've always felt this was a bit idiotic. Unless it's the size of a rodeo buckle it won't be really obvious to anyone in a hightened state who might be tempted to shoot you mistakenly. I attribute the method's popularity primarily to it's use by Hollywood cops. The only thing it will really do for you is to allow your badge to be seen inadvertently by anyone, who might decide to shoot you on purpose, when your cover garment flows back or up and exposes it. Unless you really need to have those off-duty, "oh yes, I'm a cop" moments I don't have much use for this method. My experience has shown the neck chain method of badge carry to be a placebo: it might make you feel more secure, at least until the keyed up uniforms arrive, then you'll be face down on the pavement or on a slab in the morgue with the belt line badge totters. I've always found removing my badge from my pocket and holding it above my head, along with holstering my weapon as soon as possible so responding officers don't see an armed threat, to work better than anything else. I also assume that I'll be a complete stranger to anyone arriving on scene and try to be as compliant with their commands as I can be.

BehindBlueI's
07-06-2015, 09:16 PM
Popular designs/shapes are often available in compact sizes or lighter weight materials. I've had several badges made over the years for different purposes. Worth checking out.

We've got a custom badge. Some of the range staff used hat badges soldered to a metal clip to make a very small belt clip badge, but it's too small for proper ID, IMO.

Beat Trash
07-07-2015, 09:17 AM
I carry my badge and credentials in a badge/wallet combo in my left rear pocket. I carry a regular wallet in my right rear pocket. The badge/wallet combo is my "work wallet". It does not contain anything with personal information that can be used to track back to my residence. No credit cards. Just a few bucks and a non-debit ATM card.

When off-duty, I carry both wallets. Actually more comfortable than just one wallet. Think balanced. When on-duty, the personal wallet stays in my locker. That way, if I should loose my" wallet" at work, there is no way for the contents to be used to locate my family or my residence.

When off-duty, I can access the badge with my left hand if necessary. It gets held up above my head if the need to ID myself arrises. If/when I am involved in something off-duty, during the call to 911 for additional resources, I give a description of myself, to include clothing.

Chuck Whitlock
07-07-2015, 09:19 AM
Off duty, I carry my badge and identification in my off-side back pocket. I've done it since 1980 which proves that I'm old rather than right. My thinking is that I can present my pistol and credentials when off duty. That said, I recall Jimmy Cirillo's advice to hold the badge case up and rotate it so responding officers have a visual indication that you might be a cop.

This is what I did and what my plan was at my old department that issued flat wallet badges with cases.

IMO, unless you're required by policy to carry a badge off duty, it's one of those things that's best left at home. I haven't carried a badge off duty in years and I haven't missed it.

Now that my current department only issues one badge, it stays on the uniform shirt, and goes on a belt clip only if embroidered polo and exposed weapon is uniform of the day. ID wallet is in off side back pocket, to be waved overhead if needed.

Grizzly21
07-07-2015, 08:29 PM

holding the badge.

Sgt. Michael Harding
mmhardin@lasd.org

Our badge is big enough to hide behind!

KeeFus
07-08-2015, 10:08 AM

They aint that bad...but they are POS's for sure. I tried unsuccessfully to get the vendor changed to Blackington. For them to make the mold was going to cost a "few thousand dollars". Ive seen much more wasted on sillier shit.

BehindBlueI's
07-08-2015, 02:45 PM

We went with giant shoulder patches when we merged with our Sheriff's Dept. I think they made it so big so it would cover the stitches where the old city patch was removed.

David Pennington
07-08-2015, 03:22 PM
I used to clip my badge IWB facing towards the body under my cover garment. When I needed to display it I would clip it on my shirt collar or front button down seem. As someone else said it was very visible to those in front of you and stayed in place during physical activity.

If faced with a LE response post active shooter or something like that I'd currently hold my badge case above my head rotating it towards approaching officers while re-holstering.

Nothing is perfect, especially UC/plain clothes/off duty. Honestly, the recent trend towards muted/low vis colors for ID placards can even make it hard to clearly ID guys in full tactical gear. You know they are someone but you often times can't see exactly who they are because their placards blend so well with their uniform.

KevinB
07-08-2015, 08:11 PM
If faced with a LE response post active shooter or something like that I'd currently hold my badge case above my head rotating it towards approaching officers while re-holstering.
Yes, I learned in AS training that left hand outstretched towards folks was a bad idea...

Nothing is perfect, especially UC/plain clothes/off duty. Honestly, the recent trend towards muted/low vis colors for ID placards can even make it hard to clearly ID guys in full tactical gear. You know they are someone but you often times can't see exactly who they are because their placards blend so well with their uniform.
My theory has always been 3+ dudes in uniform together are probably other good guys. I know some Dept's have been nailed with ridiculous POLICE (etc) patches in large lettering on numerous areas of the body - but nothing irritates me more than a giant sign jumping out when your trying to sneak somewhere - or sweep through an area why remaining relatively undetected.

SJC3081
07-08-2015, 11:52 PM

The only thing I've ever seen off duty cops do with a badge is wave it around like it's some sort of magical shield and get involved in crap that they had absolutely no business being involved in

If the badge is flat enough AIWB is a good place, it won't tear holes in your shirts, and if you find yourself in the middle of a robbery with a shotgun stuck in your face and your pockets frisked, it's not likely to get found out and executed.
This is the correct answer.

BehindBlueI's
07-09-2015, 07:15 AM
This is the correct answer.

Not to me. I've got the self discipline to not get involved in things I don't need to, badge or no. If I'm carrying a gun, I'm carrying a badge. My concerns about being frisked in the middle of a robbery are zero because I don't walk around blind and because if I'm getting frisked they are finding my gun anyway.

Lyonsgrid
07-13-2015, 08:14 PM
I wish I cooked Kydex...maybe someone here could help with my idea...

I carry a G43 backup/off-duty often. Not ideal due to lacking capacity. Always looking for ways to carry extra mags. My neck chain badge is always around my neck and sits nice in the cavity against my sternum. Why not incorporate a mag carrier to the back of it much like a neck chain knife.

Keeping the profile as thin as possible is important. Just messing around with the idea seems like it may work if someone with much better design skills runs with it.

Won't be the fastest reload for sure but it would be nice to have a spare mag fixed to the badge already around my neck.

Madnik
07-15-2015, 01:24 PM
I carry my badge and creds in a dedicated wallet and another, larger badge around my neck. I find the badge around the neck to be a reasonable 4 season solution, on and off duty. I used to favor in a pocket with a clip to be used as described earlier, but moved it to free up space. Yes, I'm one of those guys with too much crap in their pockets. Why those positions? One, once the cover garment falls back into place the badge is gone when carried on the belt and two, training with sims rounds has lead me to believe that badges on belts get noticed the least, if at all, once the stress goes up. Some of the kindler, gentler polo shirts in vogue now, too. But that's another topic.

are3k
07-17-2015, 09:19 AM
I don't think that I've ever carried a badge off duty, most people in my department don't either I would guess. We are required to have our department ID at all times and that is what everyone does. If something does down off duty I just give a good clothing description to the call taker to identify myself.