PDA

View Full Version : Springfield Trp operator extractor questions

Paul053
07-04-2015, 01:11 PM
New to 1911s and did the research and saved for a year for my TRP. Cleaned it and took it to the range and tried running it through the 10-8 PERFORMANCE 1911 extractor test. It is fire 7 rounds two handed with the magazine out for each round, and then another 7 with only one hand with mag out. My trp failed with three different types of ammo. Tula steel, federal aluminum, and finally Perfecta brass. Initially tried with steel, it failed, then aluminum, fail, then perfecta brass. The most common fte was where the case would stovepipe horizontally in the ejection port.

So what now? Find a gunsmith to adjust the extractor? Send it back? How relevant is this test? Thanks!

SecondsCount
07-04-2015, 03:39 PM
In the dozen or so 1911's I have owned, I have never tried the test and they all extracted just fine.

The only test I do is take the magazines that I plan on using in the gun, fill them full of your favorite practice ammo, and shoot them. Repeat that a couple dozen times or until you are confident that the gun is reliable. If the gun is going to be used for defensive purposes, do a similar test with the ammo that you will use for this purpose.

45dotACP
07-04-2015, 07:07 PM
In the dozen or so 1911's I have owned, I have never tried the test and they all extracted just fine.

The only test I do is take the magazines that I plan on using in the gun, fill them full of your favorite practice ammo, and shoot them. Repeat that a couple dozen times or until you are confident that the gun is reliable. If the gun is going to be used for defensive purposes, do a similar test with the ammo that you will use for this purpose.
This. While Hilton Yam is no doubt, one of the smartest 1911 guys out there (and there are a lot of smart ones) I'd avoid playing with anything if it works well as it is intended. You can fall down a huge rabbit hole with 1911 extractors.

HopetonBrown
07-04-2015, 09:14 PM
Having a gunsmith (and real ones are incredibly rare) bend an extractor is like taking your car to the dealership to inflate your tires. Brownells has a nice article by Jack Weigand on how to tune your extractor.

But as long as the gun is running reliably I don't see the point just to pass Hilton Yam's test. I think I've read him say he doesn't talk about it online for fear of its application being taken out context, which might be happening here.

Instead of extractor tests, shoot a FAST test and tell us how you did. It's much more fun, too.

Clobbersaurus
07-05-2015, 08:09 AM
I've had 1911's pass the 10-8 extractor test and the proceed to choke on every round fed from a magazine thereafter. IMO it's only part of the crystal ball that is 1911 reliability.

Paul053
07-05-2015, 10:30 AM
Thanks everyone! Im trying to make the transition into a serious pistol shooter. Went through my ar building phase, then my pistol buying spree, and now ive come to realize that although owning/collecting pistols is fun, nothing beats actually knowing how to use those firearms. So far this year ive got 4 classes u der my belt with another 3-4 before the end of the year.

HopetonBrown
07-05-2015, 12:48 PM
8 classes in a year sounds like a lot. Just take a few, then shoot some matches and join a club where you can practice.

Paul053
07-05-2015, 01:00 PM
Thanks HB, unfortunately I live in Southern California, and the nearest range that allows you to draw from a holster is a private range an hour away. I've been practicing my dry fire draw and shoot at home and take these classes to see how im doing. But probably the most useful rifle class i ever took was my local Appleseed classes. My first two tactical rifle classes i out shot guys who had a lot more experience and took top shot in my second class taught by some LAPD Swat officers.

HopetonBrown
07-05-2015, 01:29 PM
Shoot an IDPA or USPSA match to test your skill, take classes to learn.

L-2
07-05-2015, 04:30 PM
From my meager experience,

At this point, I wouldn't advise sending the TRP Operator back. You can call them, but I suspect Springfield will first ask if it is ejecting fine with a magazine. The Hackathorn/Vickers/10-8 test is good, but it's not necessarily what a manufacturer will use. Do some research on extractor adjusting. Here's just one example:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=A_ybp51lx6w

Reading the post, I'm concerned the extractor may be too tight; and also wonder if the spent case is being pulled above the ejector, causing the horizontal stovepipe. If the breech-face/J-cut is cut way too high, then that could be a separate problem not curable by the poster. I'm assuming the horizontal stovepipe maintains the empty casing still oriented front to back, but that assumption may not be accurate based on just the info, so far.

There was no mention of any loaded round or empty case shake-testing. At this point, let's suspect it's just extractor adjustment/tension.

For good measure, also do the test with a fresh/new recoil spring. I've found if the slide is moving too fast with an old recoil spring, I'll get stovepipes and crushed cases. Usually, I'll only get one or two, as at that point, I'll realize my recoil spring probably needs replacing and I'll change it right at the shooting range.

Consider ordering another extractor, if not for anything else, to have a spare. You might want to have a spare firing pin stop, too. Everybody will have his favorite brand/model. I've only got limited experience with four or five brands/models. I haven't yet picked a favorite. I just want whatever is in a given 1911 to work as long as possible.

Related issue. I haven't had great luck with parts quality consistency lately. For example, I'll have one extractor work fine for ~16,000 rounds before the hook breaks. I'll then put the same brand/model in and it breaks within 2,000 rounds. I've even had mag springs fracture! I never thought I'd see that. For 1911 wear items, I'll try to keep at least one spare as I don't like breaking or wearing out something, then having to wait a week for the replacement part to arrive. Of course, it's nice to just have at least one spare 1911 in one's inventory.;)