PDA

View Full Version : IPSC World Shoot Greece

Slavex
09-04-2011, 04:21 AM
So who's going? I leave on the 25th and will be shooting in Czech and Germany after as well.
It would be kind of cool to see daily reports up here from those of us in attendance, if the Internets and Wifis cooperate. (Todd I promise to do better than last time).
Perhaps even a Pistol-Training/Forum meet and greet? Or at the least group photo?

Slavex
09-20-2011, 11:38 AM
or not..

Kyle Reese
09-20-2011, 11:42 AM
Dude I wish.

ToddG
09-20-2011, 11:44 AM
Have fun, though. Remember to convert all your cash to local currency as soon as you land. :cool:

Slavex
09-20-2011, 12:16 PM
watching the exchange rates drop over the last week, I think I will just use my ATM and take a few hundred Euro cash with me.

jetfire
09-20-2011, 02:23 PM
I also wish I could be there. Maybe in 20whenever for the next one.

ToddG
09-20-2011, 02:47 PM
Here's an idea... why don't they hold the next one in whichever country has the most practical pistol shooters. Hrmmmmmm...

jetfire
09-20-2011, 03:54 PM
Here's an idea... why don't they hold the next one in whichever country has the most practical pistol shooters. Hrmmmmmm...

Madness. And besides, that would defeat the whole purpose of IPSC, which is (apparently) to have a shooting sport that doesn't really have any of those dirty Americans playing it.

Or you could come to the IDPA World Shoot! In Florida! Where it's apparently pouring.

Slavex
09-20-2011, 04:28 PM

You mean the Philippines?

Seriously though I do understand the reasining some of the time. The WS is not just about shooting, its about the entire ambiance and culture surrounding the Host org. So let's see Greece, cradle of modern thinking and logic with some cool ass ruins, or miles of corn fields in nowhereville. Huge overhead costs in a 1st world country or some pocket padding 3rd world?
Not hard to see why its been the way its been. But perhaps this year will be the USA's turn, I hope so.
Although Thailand.......hmmmmmmmmMnowhereville. Huge overhead costs in a 1st world country or some pocket padding 3rd world?
Not hard to see why its been the way its been. But perhaps this year will be the USA's turn, I hope so.
Although Thailand.......hmmmmmmmmM

jetfire
09-20-2011, 04:32 PM
All we really need to win is for Eric Grauffel to fall off a train or something.

Or maybe, just maybe have USPSA give up on the metric targets with the headbox and switch to the amoeba target anyway, which has a smaller a-zone and is harder to hose.

mc1911
09-20-2011, 07:46 PM
Or maybe, just maybe have USPSA give up on the metric targets with the headbox and switch to the amoeba target anyway, which has a smaller a-zone and is harder to hose.

No way. In my opinion, the head zone puts the US in USPSA. If it makes the Euros squeemish to shoot vaguely humanoid targets, then I'm all for the head zone. Head zone targets and big gas-guzzling SUVs, just to make them shake their heads.

beltjones
09-20-2011, 10:09 PM
Tapatalk is the worst ever.

Slavex
09-21-2011, 03:27 AM
Opera Mini seems to like to repeat parts of my post. I have no idea why.

Anyhow, don't give up the USPSA target, ever, worst mistake IPSC made was to get rid of them. We should have been allowed the option between the two.
Eric is going Production next year or so he says. That should be interesting.

JulieG
09-24-2011, 09:29 AM
I'll be there and try to post updates/photos/etc. providing internet and such work. Safe travels to everyone going!

beltjones
09-24-2011, 07:36 PM
Good luck Julie! Are you shooting Production?

ToddG
09-24-2011, 08:18 PM
I think JulieG is shooting one of these:

http://www.tcarms.com/firearms/images/silosDetail/5849.jpg

I mean, it's like the only pistol left on Earth she hasn't won a championship with...

mc1911
09-25-2011, 07:27 AM
Todd, that might work, though it would need to be at least .35 Remington to make caliber qualification. She could load way down and still make major, and though her times would be on the low side, two head shots on every target would impress. Long-distance plates would be a non-issue, and she'd never be calling for calibration on a popper that didn't fall because they'd go right down.

Slavex
09-27-2011, 12:25 PM
in Athens now. the room is really really small. the bed is barely wider than my shoulders. No buses or trains today, due to a strike. Ran into a shooter from Argentina in Frankfurt that I was squaded with in Ecuador and I think Bali. Pretty cool to start running into people already.

Slavex
10-03-2011, 12:03 PM
so day one in the bag and I might be out for good. Something went pop during my second stage in the back inside of my left knee. can't really put any weight on my left leg now, so it's kinda fucked.
stages are pretty simple for the most part, no real memory busters or "secret way" stages. which means it's all about accuracy and pure speed. Organization of the match has been a bit of a cluster, with squadding not being posted until Friday. Of course my room-mate and I are on opposite shifts. so we get to spend the whole day at the range regardless.
Rhodes is a wicked island and the scenery is amazing, the weather is awesome, and for the most part the people friendly. Athens, outside of the Acropolis, is a hole, it's like a giant flea market gone bad. We had riots, strikes and work to rule happen while we were there.
It was cool running into Julie G and others at the airport, and catching up on stuff. It was also funny to see how one airline could basically treat every passenger differently. some paid extra for guns to go on board, others didn't, some paid for extra weight some didn't. no one really seems to have a clear idea on how to do anything in the airport.

Kyle Reese
10-03-2011, 12:05 PM
so day one in the bag and I might be out for good. Something went pop during my second stage in the back inside of my left knee. can't really put any weight on my left leg now, so it's kinda fucked.
stages are pretty simple for the most part, no real memory busters or "secret way" stages. which means it's all about accuracy and pure speed. Organization of the match has been a bit of a cluster, with squadding not being posted until Friday. Of course my room-mate and I are on opposite shifts. so we get to spend the whole day at the range regardless.
Rhodes is a wicked island and the scenery is amazing, the weather is awesome, and for the most part the people friendly. Athens, outside of the Acropolis, is a hole, it's like a giant flea market gone bad. We had riots, strikes and work to rule happen while we were there.
It was cool running into Julie G and others at the airport, and catching up on stuff. It was also funny to see how one airline could basically treat every passenger differently. some paid extra for guns to go on board, others didn't, some paid for extra weight some didn't. no one really seems to have a clear idea on how to do anything in the airport.

Sorry to hear, man. Wishing you a speedy recovery.

Frank B
10-03-2011, 01:32 PM
So who's going? I leave on the 25th and will be shooting in Czech and Germany after as well.
It would be kind of cool to see daily reports up here from those of us in attendance, if the Internets and Wifis cooperate. (Todd I promise to do better than last time).
Perhaps even a Pistol-Training/Forum meet and greet? Or at the least group photo?

Rob,
if you are in Germany, drop me a line.

Slavex
10-03-2011, 02:38 PM
we hit Frankfurt on the 19th and shoot the Hessen cup on the 22nd just outside of there. I'll PM you when we are in Czech.

ToddG
10-03-2011, 05:58 PM
Hessen cup on the 22nd just outside of there.

I wonder if you could find a t-shirt that said "Trenton 26-12-1776" on it. :cool:

beltjones
10-03-2011, 11:48 PM

Really sorry to hear about your knee. Hopefully enough of the match is "stand and shoot" so you can still place well.

In the meantime befriend a Greek stray dog and enjoy your time there.

Slavex
10-05-2011, 06:10 PM
knee was much better today. but my shooting was for shit. focus is a bit gone with the pain, plus an amateurish mistake cost me some misses on targets. No one seems to be having a clean match, I'm hearing grumblings from all quarters about misses and penalties. a lot of it is due to the 3 minute inspection we are getting and lack of actually seeing what's going on. most are shooting blind to be honest.
it will be very interesting to see how Frostproof does it. I suspect much better.

JM Campbell
10-05-2011, 11:16 PM
Good to hear that the knee is doing better.

Shoot straight and fast.

Slavex
10-06-2011, 04:42 PM
knee was better today, much better, seems something popped into place yesterday. Shooting however took a nose dive. shorter walk throughs (less than 3 minutes, as short as 1minute) for 32 round complex type stages with 17 people to look at it doesn't work. Left a target I never even saw. had shit hits. Hope for better tomorrow.
as well seems the shit is hitting the fan with complaints, Eric G, reigning World Champ arbitrated a stage and it's gone, there are a few that should go for similar reasons. I think there is going to be an outfall of huge numbers from this match. which is too bad, there has been some good stuff.

Packy
10-06-2011, 08:10 PM
You mean the Philippines?

Seriously though I do understand the reasining some of the time. The WS is not just about shooting, its about the entire ambiance and culture surrounding the Host org. So let's see Greece, cradle of modern thinking and logic with some cool ass ruins, or miles of corn fields in nowhereville. Huge overhead costs in a 1st world country or some pocket padding 3rd world?
Although Thailand.......hmmmmmmmmMnowhereville. Huge overhead costs in a 1st world country or some pocket padding 3rd world?
Although Thailand.......hmmmmmmmmM

Pinoy shooters are good, Pinoy shooters are Rich.
Filipinos in general are good people.

LittleLebowski
10-06-2011, 08:43 PM
Filipinos in general are good people.

Absolutely agreed.

beltjones
10-06-2011, 10:44 PM
Lots of controversy per usual! I can't wait to get the full scoop when everyone gets back!