PDA

View Full Version : Benelli's, stocks, musings

SLG
07-02-2015, 08:16 PM
I just finished a head to head comparison of the M4 and M2. I shot 30 slugs through each. The M4 had a pistol grip, the M2 had a comfort tech, traditional stock. I could barely tell the difference in recoil, and given that the M4 weighs a pound or so more, it should recoil less. Maybe. I would say I still prefer the M2.

As far as stocks go, I'm curious what you guys think about pistol grip stocks vs. more traditional stocks, on shotguns. Alot has to do with where the safety is located, but overall, I prefer a more traditional stock. The magpul is tops, if your gun accepts it. Also, I pretty much only shoot full power slugs. I don't think the recoil characteristics of your preferred stock mean much shooting loads that don't recoil much.

So, what stock style do you like and why? Which model gun and stock? Safety mods to make it work?

GJM
07-02-2015, 09:11 PM
As previously stated:

Magpul butt stock on an 870 with a G,G&G fore end.

Compact length Comfortech with the small Limbsaver OEM pad on an M2. This is my M2 set-up with the Compact Comfortech stock in its non-NFA configuration. I was carrying it hiking up ridges, around brown bears just this morning.

http://i250.photobucket.com/albums/gg251/GJMandes/Mobile%20Uploads/image_zpsgbduikk9.jpg (http://s250.photobucket.com/user/GJMandes/media/Mobile%20Uploads/image_zpsgbduikk9.jpg.html)

JodyH
07-02-2015, 09:35 PM
My wrist cant take straight stocks anymore, something about the angle kills me. Mesa Urbino pistol grip w/Limbsaver on my M4 is perfect.

SLG
07-02-2015, 10:00 PM
My wrist cant take straight stocks anymore, something about the angle kills me. Mesa Urbino pistol grip w/Limbsaver on my M4 is perfect.

My supernova has that setup and it certainly works. Shot some clays with it today, ghost ring and all:-) No drama.

jlw
07-02-2015, 10:14 PM
https://scontent-atl1-1.xx.fbcdn.net/hphotos-xft1/t31.0-8/s2048x2048/10986476_841265315921357_6288696094272704119_o.jpg

This M1 was a trade in from a power company security force.

I just got it back from having the stock cut down to a 12.5" LOP and a Kickease recoil pad installed. Why the Kickease? That's what the gunsmith had.

I haven't shot it yet, but I love the way it handles now.

LOKNLOD
07-03-2015, 08:35 AM
I can't do full on pistol-grip type stocks on shotguns. They just feel wrong to me.

I really dig the stock on the 1301, it's very good for an OEM piece.

My 870 will get the magpul treatment sooner or later...

GJM
07-03-2015, 09:12 AM
I love the 1301 stock -- feels as good as a stock can, while shooting heavy slugs.

I carry a shotgun in the field, and the pistol grip is something to get caught on stuff and poke me.

irascible_joe
07-03-2015, 09:41 AM
As previously stated:

Magpul butt stock on an 870 with a G,G&G fore end.

Compact length Comfortech with the small Limbsaver OEM pad on an M2. This is my M2 set-up with the Compact Comfortech stock in its non-NFA configuration. I was carrying it hiking up ridges, around brown bears just this morning.

Did that M2 come from the factory in that configuration, or did you change the stock? I was looking around for the compact Comfortech stock but I couldn't find anyone who sold it as a separate component.

pablo
07-03-2015, 11:30 AM
I prefer a traditional stock with a behind the trigger safety. A pistol grip and a safety in that location aren't off hand friendly, especially the large Benelli grips. It's still awkward but with a traditional stock I can work the safety with my off hand's middle finger without too much fuss.

I find the pronounced lip on the Benelli pistol grip can get snagged up sometimes and I'm not really sure why it's that big anyways.

GJM
07-03-2015, 02:17 PM
Did that M2 come from the factory in that configuration, or did you change the stock? I was looking around for the compact Comfortech stock but I couldn't find anyone who sold it as a separate component.

The way to get a Compact Comfortech is to buy a 26 inch barrel 12 gauge M2 youth model (or 24 inch 20 gauge). The Compact is about 1/2 inch shorter than the standard Comfortech, both with the smallest OEM Limbsaver pads. A downside of the 24/26 inch barrel, is the spacing on the vent rib is incompatible with being cut to a 14 inch barrel. The 21 inch 12 gauge barrel is handier to me than 24 uncut, and cuts perfectly to 14 inches. Another way to get the Compact is to special order one from Brownell's, but I haven't heard back from them with the price and delivery date. Some may think that the 1/2 reduction isn't worth the trouble -- i am still deciding if I am such a person.

Surf
07-03-2015, 02:41 PM
When hunting or recreational shooting like skeet or trap I like a traditional stock. When working and I need greater control over the weapon especially when I only have one hand on the weapon I prefer a pistol grip.

Drang
07-03-2015, 03:48 PM
Another way to get the Compact is to special order one from Brownell's, but I haven't heard back from them with the price and delivery date. Some may think that the 1/2 reduction isn't worth the trouble -- i am still deciding if I am such a person.
For S's&G's I looked up Benelli Comfortech stocks on the Numrich Gun Parts (https://www.gunpartscorp.com/Search.htm?s=comfortech) web site and... Whoa, Nellie! That'd buy a case of Federal LE1321B!

SLG
07-04-2015, 08:07 PM
Not very many shotgun users here, huh?

HCM
07-04-2015, 10:04 PM
I've had my primary Benelli M1 since 1988. It wears a conventional, pre comfort tech stock and an 18" rifle sight barrel. I have a spate 26" field barrel for it and it covers the vast majority of my shotgun needs. I had another M1 with ghost rings and a pistol grip stock and a 1014/M4 but both were traded off. We run 14" 870's with speed feed 13" LOP pistol grip stocks at work. The CA DOJ Agents I worked with years ago had 14" Benelli M1's with pistol grip stocks.

My shotgun shooting is generally work related or dove hunting / dove season prep. I occasionally shoot some steel with my Winchester Model 12 riot gun because / " The Wild Bunch". I'm looking to pick up another Benelli M1/M2 field gun so I can leave my primary in "fighting mode".

I'm with Surf. I prefer a conventional stock for pure shooting but the pistol grip stock is more practical for handling in an LE or home defense role where you may need your other hand for other things. It also reduces the OAL slightly vs a conventional stock. I've noticed the longer the barrel and magazine tube get the more I prefer a conventional stock.

My question for you, SLG is, is the comfort tech stock that much better than the conventional Benelli stock given it costs more than a blue label Glock?

SLG
07-04-2015, 10:37 PM
Cost is certainly a factor. I don't know that I notice any difference between a conventional Benelli stock (Nova tactical) and a comfort tech stock, but in this case, it doesn't cost me any more to have the comfort tech. I'm going to replace the Urbino on my Super Nova with a compact Comfort tech and see what I think.

As far as the pistol grip giving more advantage for tactical stuff, I'm not sure that holds true for me anymore. It does SOME things better than a conventional stock, but it does OTHER things worse. Pick your poison, I guess. Of course, I don't choose my shotgun for anything these days, so the M4 (AR) gets the nod across the board.

GJM
07-05-2015, 12:51 AM
I notice a significant difference in comfort shooting a Benelli M2 with Brenneke slugs with a Comfortech versus a conventional Benelli straight stock.

SteveB
07-05-2015, 07:25 AM
I used 870's as test beds for various stocks, including Urbino pistol grip and Hogue short stock and settled on the Magpul. LOP is perfect and it distributes recoil better than any other stock I've used. I've never been comfortable with pistol grip stocks, going back to the M1 Super 90 tactical, which I always thought was weird because I love the AR. Anyway, my favorite semiauto is the Beretta Tx4 Storm, very fast and easy to shoot well. I'm not in love with the ghost ring sights, though, and have some issues with an Aimpoint on this gun, mostly head position on the stock. So I'm considering trying an M2 field compact with a tactical barrel with rifle sights instead of ghost rings. But the TX4 stock shape suits me well:

GJM
07-05-2015, 09:17 AM
OEM sights are so low, I smash my cheek in recoil firing heavy loads. Vent rib with the AO sights works out better in height.

SLG
07-05-2015, 10:43 AM
OEM sights are so low, I smash my cheek in recoil firing heavy loads. Vent rib with the AO sights works out better in height.

Which setup are you talking about?

GJM
07-05-2015, 10:51 AM
Which setup are you talking about?

small factory OEM rifle sights on M1/M2. Nova sights rifle sights seem higher, and not a problem.

coldcase1984
07-06-2015, 07:16 AM
I got a 21-in. M2 Field three years ago for a snow goose control/3 gun funster. Got the obligatory go-fast Nordic Components goodies and slew a truckload of snows; still ain't done 3-gun so no receiver machining yet.

It's my suburban back door pest gun. Run the regular Comfort Tech w no spacers. A Ute model would be great, but not a priority now. Am going to look up the XS sights however. I like the BDT bead I put on my 14-in. Work 870 a lot.

coldcase1984
07-06-2015, 07:26 AM
GJM, do you use a sling or run it bare so it's always in your hands? Mine is currently slingless.

GJM
07-06-2015, 08:56 AM
GJM, do you use a sling or run it bare so it's always in your hands? Mine is currently slingless.

Yes. :)

My M2's are set up with an AR style QD socket on the left side of the butt stock and fore end. I have a simple AR style carry sling. That allows me to have a sling but also easily remove the sling and stow it in a pocket.

http://i250.photobucket.com/albums/gg251/GJMandes/Mobile%20Uploads/image_zpsabqxudvy.jpg (http://s250.photobucket.com/user/GJMandes/media/Mobile%20Uploads/image_zpsabqxudvy.jpg.html)

coldcase1984
07-06-2015, 02:12 PM
What light you run on the other side?

David Pennington
07-11-2015, 10:48 PM
Yes. :)

My M2's are set up with an AR style QD socket on the left side of the butt stock and fore end. I have a simple AR style carry sling. That allows me to have a sling but also easily remove the sling and stow it in a pocket.

http://i250.photobucket.com/albums/gg251/GJMandes/Mobile%20Uploads/image_zpsabqxudvy.jpg (http://s250.photobucket.com/user/GJMandes/media/Mobile%20Uploads/image_zpsabqxudvy.jpg.html)

Are those factor or aftermarket sights? They remind me of the Remington DEA/Low Profile XS sights..

GJM
07-11-2015, 10:51 PM
XS, check the shotgun thread on sights for details.

David Pennington
07-11-2015, 10:53 PM
On pump guns like the 870 I greatly prefer the conventional stock because it makes it so easy to simply slide your firing hand forward to work the action release. The only advantage I ever saw to the pistol grip stocks is that they made it easier to hold the gun on target one handed but I kind of moved away from that thought process because I never planned to shoot the shotgun that way. If I ever actually had to shoot the thing one handed (injury or similar) I'd just transition to my pistol. That said, as soon as I had a M4 (carbine not Benelli) I never used the shotgun for anything other than dedicated vehicle take downs because of Brenekkes.

Paul
07-11-2015, 11:21 PM
On my work 870 I've gone back to a conventional stock, because it's the pretty hard to get it to hang up on anything when deploying from the gun rack between the seats. Outside of that I much prefer a pistol grip.

The Mesa Urbino stocks are nice, but on a non flextab equipped 870, you will break the recoil pad clearing a shell that's stuck on the lifter. The design is not very tolerant to pounding when clearing jammed shells. That said I've also split a birch stock on an 870 and cracked the base of a Hogue recoil pad.

SLG
07-12-2015, 07:56 AM
On my work 870 I've gone back to a conventional stock, because it's the pretty hard to get it to hang up on anything when deploying from the gun rack between the seats. Outside of that I much prefer a pistol grip.

The Mesa Urbino stocks are nice, but on a non flextab equipped 870, you will break the recoil pad clearing a shell that's stuck on the lifter. The design is not very tolerant to pounding when clearing jammed shells. That said I've also split a birch stock on an 870 and cracked the base of a Hogue recoil pad.

Good to know about the urbino, but who has a non flex tab 870?

Has anyone pounded on a magpul stock?

Paul
07-12-2015, 02:04 PM
Good to know about the urbino, but who has a non flex tab 870?

Has anyone pounded on a magpul stock?

All of our range's 870s are 30+ years old and none are flex tab. When we tested the Urbinos, I broke the recoil pad when I loaded an old worn out dummy round and it slipped past the shell latch, and I cleared the jam. There are plenty of ways to clear jams that involve grabbing the forend or charging handle and using a judicious slam of the stock on the ground.

I just patio tested the Magpul with no spacers and factory pad, seems fine. Only thing that went wrong is the cover for the mounting screw popped off.

SLG
07-12-2015, 03:10 PM
I'm pretty sure that remington offers free upgrades/conversions to flex tab. Worthwhile mod, imo.

As a favor though, I'll take a couple of your old guns and send you some new ones.

Paul
07-13-2015, 10:42 AM
I'm pretty sure that remington offers free upgrades/conversions to flex tab. Worthwhile mod, imo.

As a favor though, I'll take a couple of your old guns and send you some new ones.

All the 870's on the streets have a flex tab. I think the range master's thinking is pretty solid on this one, if there's going to a jammed up shotgun at the range, might as well get some practice at clearing a tough one. The shotgun module for recruits is 1 full day and 2 half days, lots sore thumbs and shells stuck on lifters towards the end of the first day.

Why do you only shoot full power slugs? Outside of the Brenneke special forces death rays and reducing over penetration concerns with swaged fosters, there are 12 gauge reduced recoil loads that can do the same or better than the full power offerings.

SLG
07-13-2015, 01:46 PM
That's what we have at work, so that's what I shoot. If I had my choice, I'd have a 20g with slugs. Barring that, a 12 with reduced power slugs.

Bear in mind, all of this is academic for me. I love shotguns so I shoot them a lot. The only gun I pull out for real is my 5.56 M4.