PDA

View Full Version : Practical Pistol Foundations

Mr_White
07-02-2015, 03:20 PM
Practical Pistol Foundations is the DVD/digital download video companion piece to Ben Stoeger's Practical Pistol technique book. Foundations, as the name implies, is about the basics, and covers grip, stance, trigger control, aiming, drawing, reloading, target transitions, single handed shooting, mental management, and shot calling. It uses a survey approach, explaining a variety of the dominant techniques seen in competitive shooting. Even though Foundations is clearly directed at competitive shooters, there is still value in the techniques for defensive handgun shooters. As usual, there is a ton of crossover.

The production style is specific and looks very nice. The information is kept engaging, being conveyed in varied formats, from conversations with Ben and narration while showing him and others as examples, to round table discussions. The lighting is well done and gives the video a great look, and the unobtrusive atmospheric sounds are just right. There is plenty of detail to look at, with lots of composite shots of Ben explaining what's being shown executed by different people in adjoining screens.

The shot calling segment is truly a standout. The lighting, camera work, and explanation from Ben combine to be simply the best video illustration of this enormously important skill that I've seen presented anywhere.

A welcome and valuable element of Foundations is Ben's wife Kita explaining his practice schedule and level of motivation. The importance of that can't be overstated. If a person can find the motivation to work very very hard, then the sky's probably the limit. It might be attractive to think that if one had the right techniques, one would be better than everyone else. But that's nowhere near enough. Those are just the Foundations.

If you are looking for an instructional video that will help refine your technique on the core skills you'll need in competitive shooting, Practical Pistol Foundations is very much worth a look.

http://www.benstoeger.com/images/PPF-DVD-2T.jpg

Sal Picante
07-02-2015, 04:30 PM
Full disclosure: I'm in the video and helped make it happen. (We had a great time filming this!)

A lot of the segments are short, sweet and to the point in typical Ben Stoeger style.

Love him or hate him, he knows a few things...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ag1vM-6DO6g

CCT125US
07-02-2015, 06:12 PM
I ordered when it first came available. Found it helpful as a reminder that the basics don't change. Pick up something different each time I watch it.

YVK
07-02-2015, 09:32 PM
Nice review, Gabe, and well done, Les.
I only watched it once and did pick a few things up. This is probably one of those things that one should watch a couple of times, even though it is just the Foundations.

Jared
07-03-2015, 05:29 PM
I very much agree with Mr_White's review, but I do have a couple things to add.

If you've already read Practical Pistol, you probably aren't gonna hear a whole lot new about technique. It is extremely helpful to see the techniques in video, and also nice that there aren't a whole bunch of contradictions between his book and this DVD. Basically, you can read the book or watch the DVD and get pretty similar information.

OTOH, the shot calling segment was very well done, and I think that it's probably the best part of the DVD. That part just couldn't have been done at the same level in a book.

Taken as a whole I was very happy with it and felt like I got my money's worth out of it. I'd also recommend it to anyone looking to improve their USPSA game.