PDA

View Full Version : Colt Detective Special

JodyH
07-01-2015, 08:06 PM
I found a super clean 3rd gen blued Colt Detective Special (1972 mfg.) for a really nice price.
Appears to have been a sock drawer gun.
What's the scoop on these?

TR675
07-01-2015, 08:10 PM
J frame size and k frame capacity - what's not to like?

Research whether +p is ok for that model and enjoy shooting it.

Drang
07-01-2015, 08:12 PM
You'd better pick it up before Nyeti swoops in and buys it from under you!

MVS
07-01-2015, 08:30 PM
IIRC Tom Givens is very fond of them. After reading the post below mine, maybe Tom favors the Cobra? I admit to not knowing the difference.

41magfan
07-01-2015, 08:30 PM
While the DS is small enough to slip in a pocket, at 26 oz unloaded it doesn't carry well in that mode if that's in the cards. However, that extra weight makes them at bit more comfortable to shoot over a J-Frame, especially with +P's.

It shouldn't be much of a concern for a gun that's spent its life in a sock drawer, but make sure the timing is OK - Colt revolvers are expensive to get worked on.

Willard
07-01-2015, 08:51 PM
IIRC Tom Givens is very fond of them. After reading the post below mine, maybe Tom favors the Cobra? I admit to not knowing the difference.

Cobra is aluminum frame. Detective Special is steel.

Neither has been in production for a long while and parts are becoming increasingly difficult to find. In addition, smiths competent to resolve any issues that pop up are few & far between. I have a Cobra, but have retired it from daily duty for these reasons. YMMV.

41magfan
07-01-2015, 08:53 PM

The other Colt snub guns (Cobra, Agent, etc) had aluminum frames and weighed about 15 oz empty.

Dagga Boy
07-01-2015, 09:07 PM
They are great for what they are. Easier to shoot than a J frame and an extra round without the size of a K frame. They were great for what the name says....plainclothes daily carried working gun. The Cobra and Agent are great due to the weight as carry a lot shoot a little concealment guns. I recently got a couple of Detective Specials. I late model blue that is flat gorgeous and I am looking forward to getting some beautiful Hogue grips on it (getting the alignment pin out of the frame has proven to be near impossible). I also got a 1960 Nickel. In that era, they were the Glock 26 of their time.

Totem Polar
07-01-2015, 09:52 PM
You know those moments of epic stupidity? When I picked up the G43 that came in for me, there was a minty DS in the used case for 475 or something close. I think I mumbled something like "if it's still here when my next check comes in, I'd like this gun..."

It wasn't still there.

As much as I loathe using anything but cash for guns, I did not think that one through.

JHC
07-02-2015, 07:15 AM
I've owned 3 over the years, one 1st gen and 2 second gen. Glorious actions. I loved them AIWB. I dry fired them DA too much me thinks as I knocked them all out of time by the 1000 round (live fire) mark. I would not shoot or dry fire one extensively. I was a slow learner to that lesson.

BN
07-02-2015, 07:51 AM
Buy it. You can make more money, but they won't make any more Detective Specials. ;)

WobblyPossum
07-02-2015, 08:03 AM
Buy it. You can make more money, but they won't make any more Detective Specials. ;)

That there is some quality reasoning!

Dagga Boy
07-02-2015, 09:44 AM

Boy, I sure like he way you think.

45dotACP
07-02-2015, 10:41 AM

You sir, I shall blame for every gun that follows me home heretofore...

SecondsCount
07-02-2015, 12:51 PM
I picked this up for Mrs. SC about 15 years ago. Since it wasn't original, it was a great deal. It was her first carry gun and she shoots it pretty well but it has been retired for a 1911.

http://home.comcast.net/~d_kirk/gunstuff/ds/ds1.jpg

http://home.comcast.net/~d_kirk/gunstuff/ds/ds2.jpg

It is a nice shooting gun. I'm not sure if it is the nostalgia, hand fitting, or what but it shoots nice.

LSP972
07-02-2015, 12:55 PM
Wow. Haven't seen a pair of those stocks in ages. They were once all the rage among plainclothes guys.

OnionsAndDragons
07-02-2015, 01:05 PM
My lgs had a beautiful example of a gen2 in their used case last week. I put a deposit on it until I sell a couple knives or next weeks check comes around.

I'm pretty excited about it. Is there anything specific I should look for to check for timing issues? I plugged a couple snaps in and it felt and sounded right to me, but I'm not super experienced with wheelguns.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

NEPAKevin
07-02-2015, 01:46 PM
I would like to find a 3" DS at a reasonable price. But since Colt always seems to be on the verge of going out of business, finding a good deal on a potential collectible safe queen probably isn't going to happen. Besides, that's Nyeti's wheelhouse.

41magfan
07-02-2015, 03:38 PM
Wow. Haven't seen a pair of those stocks in ages. They were once all the rage among plainclothes guys.

I actually used those for a period of time when I pocket carried a J-Frame a couple of decades ago. Despite their appearance , they aren't "slick" at all and the girth is quite a bit larger than the factory Magna-style stocks. They're fairly durable, too.

I can't believe they still make them.

http://www.ajaxcustomgrips.com/Pearlite.html

farscott
07-02-2015, 03:49 PM
I like the Colt DS, but their time has passed. It is very tough to get parts for one (best way is to buy another one) and even harder for find someone qualified to work on one. I have one that dates to 1964 that my daughter has adopted. I have gone to the SP-101 and to the J-frames.

LSP972
07-02-2015, 04:14 PM
I can't believe they still make them.

Neither me.

Now… if only we could have a reliable source for the Tyler T-Grip… made the way the old man made them. The newer ones are just not as good, IMO.

NickA
07-02-2015, 04:17 PM
Not a DS, but a Cobra.
Unfortunately whoever did the refinish screwed it up, and the first (and last) time I shot it the cylinder started peeling, into my hand. As you can see he also somehow missed the cylinder crane and release.
Fortunately, I didn't pay for it. The guy who had my gunsmith buddy send it off passed away, he couldn't ever get anyone to claim it, and gave it to me.
Really want to get it redone, just haven't found the motivation.

http://images.tapatalk-cdn.com/15/07/02/857320fb4f623cdc6d7874e4d42b240d.jpg

farscott
07-02-2015, 04:36 PM
Here is my daughter's.

http://i65.photobucket.com/albums/h229/farscott/Colt_DS_1_zpsec2f1574.jpg (http://s65.photobucket.com/user/farscott/media/Colt_DS_1_zpsec2f1574.jpg.html)

LSP552
07-02-2015, 06:03 PM
They are great for what they are. Easier to shoot than a J frame and an extra round without the size of a K frame. They were great for what the name says....plainclothes daily carried working gun. The Cobra and Agent are great due to the weight as carry a lot shoot a little concealment guns. I recently got a couple of Detective Specials. I late model blue that is flat gorgeous and I am looking forward to getting some beautiful Hogue grips on it (getting the alignment pin out of the frame has proven to be near impossible). I also got a 1960 Nickel. In that era, they were the Glock 26 of their time.

This^

I have a Detective Special I bought my wife as a wedding present in 1982. I wouldn't consider one as a hard use training gun, but they excel as described above. I wouldn't feel unarmed with one either.

Jaywalker
07-02-2015, 09:31 PM
There are folks who can't (or don't want to) work a slide.

Here's my wife's:
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v226/Jaywalker1/DSC_3943-Version3_zps315c4ee9.jpg

Before I bought it for her recently I called Colt about service, and they were at the time willing to work on the DS. They had no parts for the Police Positive but were willing to try to time it if it needed it. That tells me they aren't totally obsolescent, yet.

The Grashorn grips are just for pretty, but that Tyler T-Grip really makes nice to shoot.

FWIW, Tamara likes the idea of a short-barreled revolver - there's less leverage for anyone trying to grab it.

Dagga Boy
07-03-2015, 08:21 AM
Jaywalker...anytime you want to trade that in on a modern polymer pistol and get rid of that antiquated old heavy thing with stocks like a caveman would us, I want to be the first call. I love that gun.

Beat Trash
07-03-2015, 09:43 AM
And if Nyeti doesn't answer his phone, I will...

That is one nice gun.

JHC
07-03-2015, 11:08 AM
The first Gen one I had came in trade from a Bexar County deputy. It had the most charming big dent in the trigger guard. My imagination ran wild.

41magfan
07-03-2015, 11:12 AM
I would like to find a 3" DS at a reasonable price. But since Colt always seems to be on the verge of going out of business, finding a good deal on a potential collectible safe queen probably isn't going to happen. Besides, that's Nyeti's wheelhouse.

Mechanically, this one was 100% when I got it but much of the original bluing was gone from being carried everyday for a number of years. Colt has been out of the in-house refinishing business for some time now and I wanted something more durable than blue anyway.

If I had it to do over, I'd have converted this one to 3" before getting it HC plated. I think Numrich still has barrels for less than a hundred dollars.

http://imagizer.imageshack.us/v2/640x480q90/822/jff9.jpg (https://imageshack.com/i/mujff9j)

serialsolver
07-03-2015, 11:14 AM
Onionsanddragons

I'm not a expert I just used to have a modest colt collection.

To check the timing on an old da colt cock the hammer real slow (I mean ssslllooowww) to see if the hand or paw carries up or pushes the cylinder up till the bolt stop clicks into its notch on the cylinder. If the hand or paw is not short the bolt will click in the cylinder notch. Colt uses the hand to push the crane tight against the frame at firing so even if the hand does not carry up to the bolt stop pressing the trigger pushes the cylinder the rest of the way. On really worn guns (really short hands) the gun may fire without the cylinder and barrel in line. Fast double action trigger work momentum carries the cylinder to the bolt notch. A hand that is not too short can be stretched with common tools (hammer and vise) but parts are hard to find.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Jaywalker
07-03-2015, 11:37 AM
Jaywalker...anytime you want to trade that in on a modern polymer pistol and get rid of that antiquated old heavy thing with stocks like a caveman would us, I want to be the first call. I love that gun. As I mentioned previously, I had one similar to this a year or so ago and in a trading frenzy sold it. Then I recalled my wife had said, "Don't sell this one. If you don't want it, I'll take it." After it was gone she asked, "Whatever happened to that Colt I liked?" Odd feeling, that.

Jaywalker
07-03-2015, 11:46 AM
By: Dfariswheel

Colt Revolver Timing Checks - Pre-Mark III Colt, this is how to inspect it for proper adjustment:

BOLT RETRACTION AND "SNAP BACK".
Open the cylinder and look at the small "lug" in the bottom of the cylinder window. This is the cylinder locking bolt.

Cock the hammer, and watch as the bolt retracts into the frame and pops back out.

The bolt MUST begin to retract THE INSTANT the hammer begins to move.
There MUST be NO (ZERO) hammer movement possible before the bolt starts to retract.

The bolt should retract smoothly with no hesitation until it's fully retracted, then it MUST pop back out with a clean "snap".
There should be no hesitation, and no amount of "creeping" back out.

CYLINDER UNLOCKING.
Close the cylinder.
Use your left thumb or fore finger to again cock the hammer, closely watching the cylinder bolt as you SLOWLY cock the hammer.

As the hammer comes back, the bolt will retract away from the cylinder.

The bolt MUST retract far enough to unlock the cylinder BEFORE the cylinder begins to rotate.

If the bolt is still slightly engaged with the cylinder lock notch, the cylinder will be attempting to turn while still partially locked.

This produces a "catch" or "hard spot" in the trigger pull and will damage both the bolt and the cylinder lock notches.
This often appears as metal "pulled out" of the lock notches, with rounded off and burred notches.

BOLT DROP TIMING.
Continue to cock the hammer, laying your right index finger on the cylinder just enough to prevent "free wheeling".

Watch for the bolt to drop back onto the cylinder. WHERE the bolt drops is CRITICAL.

The bolt MUST drop onto the lead or ramp in front of the actual cylinder notch.
If the bolt drops too soon, (in front of the notch ramp), it will mar the finish of the cylinder.

The bolt SHOULD drop into the MIDDLE 1/3rd section of the ramp.

If the bolt drops late, (farther toward the actual locking notch) the revolver may display "cylinder throw-by".
In this condition, during double action shooting the cylinder may rotate PAST the locking notch, and fire in an unlocked condition.

It's the nature of the Colt action, that a hesitant or jerky trigger pull by the user can induce throw-by in even a properly tuned Colt.
The Colt trigger should be pulled with a smooth, even pull, with no sudden jerks at the beginning.

CYLINDER LOCKUP.
Continue to pull the hammer back and both watch and listen for the bolt to drop into the cylinder lock notch.

The bolt MUST drop into the actual lock notch BEFORE the hammer reaches full cock.

The most common Colt mis-time situation is the hammer cocks before the bolt drops into the lock notch. (Hammer is cocked, but cylinder isn't locked).

In this condition, with the hammer fully cocked, you can push the cylinder slightly, and you will hear the "CLICK" as the bolt drops into lock.

In my experience, most Colt's leave the factory with the bolt dropping a little late into the lead, but usually wear in to correct timing.

If the bolt drops onto the cylinder early, no real problem, but there will be extra finish wear.

If the bolt drops late (closer to the lock notch) the cylinder may "throw by" or rotate TOO far in double action and this can cause off-center primer hits and firing while unlocked.

Each of these checks should be done on EACH chamber. All of these checks are better done individually. In other words, do the bolt retraction check on six chambers, then do the bolt drop test, and so on.

A properly tuned Colt will:
Have a smoothly functioning bolt with no sticky or hesitant movement.

Unlock before the cylinder begins to turn.

The bolt will drop onto the middle 1/3rd of the ramp.

The bolt will drop into the lock notch before the hammer reaches full cock.

Have a smooth trigger pull, which does stack.

OnionsAndDragons
07-04-2015, 07:44 PM
Thank you so much for posting that, Jaywalker. I will put this knowledge to use on Tuesday!

drjaydvm
07-05-2015, 08:26 AM
Late 60s DS in .32 NP. I had the cylinders bored out to accept .32 H & R magnum. http://images.tapatalk-cdn.com/15/07/05/aef2b8cc2d838d238664c5546c09490c.jpg

SouthNarc
07-05-2015, 09:40 AM
I think I get the award for coolest Colt.

This gun belonged to my grandfather who carried it as a back up gun and Sunday pocket gun. Grand-dad killed a guy with it in 1971 in Pascagoula, MS.

The blueing got worn all around the frame and a trustee at the courthouse offered to "polish" it up for the Chief which he did. So the frame is basically polished bare metal. And yes that's a Colt hammer shroud. Massad Ayoob actually featured this gun in either an article or one of his books, I can't remember which.

Dagga Boy
07-05-2015, 11:03 AM
You win today....:cool:

SecondsCount
07-05-2015, 02:00 PM
I think I get the award for coolest Colt....

Yes, you win. :cool::cool::cool::cool::cool:

serialsolver
07-05-2015, 10:29 PM
I'm holding all yall personally responsible for my latest impulse gunbrokeme purchase.

It's a Colt Cobra.

Chuck Whitlock
07-06-2015, 04:42 PM
Several months ago my LGS had a gen 2 Cobra that looked pristine except for a long scratch on the cylinder. $650 was more than I had to spend on something like that, but was sweet looking.

LtDave
07-06-2015, 06:00 PM
I snagged a real clean one for $499 with Herrett's stocks a couple weeks ago here in AZ.

serialsolver
07-19-2015, 11:29 AM
I pick up my cobra this week. It's very well worn, carried for years by a deputy in New Mexico.
http://i233.photobucket.com/albums/ee179/serialsolver/2108D658-E5AF-4161-8408-2754CCB33446_zpsgswjvc3m.jpg (http://s233.photobucket.com/user/serialsolver/media/2108D658-E5AF-4161-8408-2754CCB33446_zpsgswjvc3m.jpg.html)

Ryan127
07-19-2015, 09:13 PM
I found a 3rd issue for $400 plus shipping I'm kicking around the idea of picking up. Won't be a heavy round count gun but I would shoot it. What should I look for or what questions should I ask. I have only seen pictures and there is some wear in the bluing and not original grips. It has Pachmayr grips.

Wayne Dobbs
07-20-2015, 08:01 AM
I think I get the award for coolest Colt.

This gun belonged to my grandfather who carried it as a back up gun and Sunday pocket gun. Grand-dad killed a guy with it in 1971 in Pascagoula, MS.

The blueing got worn all around the frame and a trustee at the courthouse offered to "polish" it up for the Chief which he did. So the frame is basically polished bare metal. And yes that's a Colt hammer shroud. Massad Ayoob actually featured this gun in either an article or one of his books, I can't remember which.

Craig,

Is it a DS? And I can't believe Tom Givens hasn't tried to snag that one from you!

Dagga Boy
07-20-2015, 08:14 AM
Craig,

Is it a DS? And I can't believe Tom Givens hasn't tried to snag that one from you!

I would think in Craig's area, selling a gun your grand pappy killed a mutt (likely a Yankee of some sort, even if from just a little north) with, is some sort of cultural sin. This is unlike commie areas where some liberal relative turns it in to the police dept. Because it is yucky to have in the house.

Note....one of the few times working the desk with a hundred dollar bill in your wallet is a good thing.....love gun hating relatives.

Wayne Dobbs
07-20-2015, 09:18 AM
I would think in Craig's area, selling a gun your grand pappy killed a mutt (likely a Yankee of some sort, even if from just a little north) with, is some sort of cultural sin. This is unlike commie areas where some liberal relative turns it in to the police dept. Because it is yucky to have in the house.

Note....one of the few times working the desk with a hundred dollar bill in your wallet is a good thing.....love gun hating relatives.

I loved those "widow woman" with the dead husband's guns that they wanted to "turn in to the police" deals.

SouthNarc
07-20-2015, 09:26 AM
Wayne it's a Cobra. The grips had YEARS of rubber bands around them I had to scrape off.

Darryl anyone living north of I10 was a Yankee to my granddad![emoji38]

SouthNarc
07-20-2015, 09:31 AM

We had a little old lady come in wanting to donate her recently deceased husbands gun collection to the agency. He had some RARE guns and honestly the collection was worth well into six figures. We did the right thing and got her hooked up with an honest gun/pawn guy who got her as much money as he could for the whole shebang. She walked away with a little less than 125K.

Dagga Boy
07-20-2015, 04:38 PM
Wayne it's a Cobra. The grips had YEARS of rubber bands around them I had to scrape off.

Darryl anyone living north of I10 was a Yankee to my granddad![emoji38]

Funny, my family in Texas uses I-20 as the standard.....they are a little more generous, but they needed to figure a way to get Texas A&M in and Dallas out.

Ryan127
07-21-2015, 06:18 PM
I went ahead and bought the DS I mentioned above. I will report back once I have it in hand.

Stephanie B
07-26-2015, 07:40 PM

That logic is why I bought a Model 17-3 last week.

Drang
07-26-2015, 07:55 PM
You're not helping me resist the siren song of the 4" Police Positive at the FLGS.

Dagga Boy
09-13-2015, 10:23 AM
After a bit of a wait, something very special arrived to get a project rolling. My family has been in the Canal Zone in Panama from the very begingings. This include several Canal Zone cops and I have my uncle's model 19 duty revolver. I was tree the night Carter (burn in hell) gave the Canal away. When I saw that Craig Spegal had Panamanian Cocobolo I tried to have him make some grips for an n frame. Unfortunately, he stopped taking orders. A friend was still on the list for some Detective Special grips and was nice enough to have Craig add a set for me in Panamanian Cocobolo. The results are stunning. They are simply amazing combined with the typical Colt Blueing. My goal for this gun is a shortened hammer and gold line on the front sight. I am on the list at Matt Del Fatti for leather some day. Although I may not wait and try to get JRC to do something special with some Central American Caimen to carry the theme. Enjoy, because I love this thing.

SecondsCount
09-13-2015, 10:27 AM
Nice!!

LSP972
09-13-2015, 10:47 AM
Damn DB, those are… well, words fail me.

Ya know, I asked you this before, but I guess you didn't see it, so I'll ask again…

What, exactly, does that Del Fatti guy offer that Rosen, Kramer, Sparks, et. al., cannot? I have examined a few De Fatti rigs, and they are indeed top shelf; but in my estimation, simply not leagues above the other top-end guys, and certainly not worth the wait nor added cost. So why are YOU interested in his stuff?

And I'll bet JR can indeed do that puppy proud. Caiman, eh? Yup, that certainly fits…

SLG
09-13-2015, 11:37 AM
As usual, very nice!

SeriousStudent
09-13-2015, 11:40 AM
That would be the ne plus ultra of BBQ guns. Congrats on the firearm, and the grips. The grain on them is stunning.

Dagga Boy
09-13-2015, 11:40 AM
Del fatti made his name with the P7 folks. The P7 is what I judge holster makers by. They are hard to do right. Like many things, Del Fatti's stuff is a case of supply and demand. Same with our pal John Ralston at 5 shot. Many of these folks are exceptional, when folks figure it out, especially with true one maker shops, supply and demand. I have discovered many good makers who do great work, eventually we go from getting all sorts of leather in a timely manner to multi year waits, and I start looking for new suppliers.
Much of this becomes sort of a status thing as well. The Colt I just had done that is going to be an article gun and is "Heirloom status" is sitting in a set of Cape Buffalo lether done by John Ralston as his display leather for SHOT a couple years ago. Was it worth $800.....I don't know, but I do know you are not likely to ever see another set and it is certainly fitting for a $5000 pistol. Is it more caple than say my MARS guns in Sparks leather....probably not. What is funny is that my old working set up that I used on a lot of executive and high threat protection details of the MARS Thug that was in Surefire's Combat Tactics magazine when nobody ever heard of Steve Morrison and the one off leather Tony Kanaly made me from Sparks was a quality working rig. That gun and leather is out of the rotation because it is now worth multiple times what I paid for now that Steve is back 120 guns in his shop and Tony Kanaly is not doing much one off stuff. Same with my Larry Vickers hard fit retro pistol......not likely "worth" what I could sell it for, but go try and find another one or have Larry build one....good luck, and that one is in Real honest to goodness handmade by Milt Sparks leather. Much of this comes down to what I call pride of ownership. People can poo poo that, but life is short and some things are special just to have.
If I ever win the lottery, purchase number one will be a 1970 Hemi Superbird, and number two will be a 45/70 Colt Bulldog Gatling gun. A quarter million dollar car and a $50,000 gun......that are not as "good as" a new top of the line Vette or a M4 at this point, but that is not the point.
At some point, my pride and joy JRC gator and horsehide rig will not be replaceable because JR will have a multi year wait, or like Sparks, Kramer or Rosen........JR won't be the one making it.
Supply and demand is just a funny thing. There was a time when I likely owned more custom Emerson knives than anyone in the country. I had 67 custom Emerson's that I bought in the era when Ernie was discounting left over knives at the end of show and he needed to pay for his table and expenses. Now I have a less impressive number, because I sold about 50 of them....because my wife and I really wanted a $100,000 power boat. As far as worth....wish I kept the knives,but it is an example of what can happen. What is amazing is the boat has lost a third of its price, and costs me a fortune to indoor store it, and the those same knives today would bring a close to double what I got for them when I sold them. Its crazy and doesn't make sense....but its simply the markets at work.

LSP552
09-13-2015, 11:46 AM
D,

you just convinced me to dress up a pristine DS I have sitting int he safe. That gun was a wedding present to my 1st wife. It needs some custom stocks and fine leather, just because.

Beautiful revolver, thanks for sharing!

K

SouthNarc
09-14-2015, 06:29 AM
Damn Darryl that's nice!!

LSP972
09-14-2015, 08:26 AM
Much of this comes down to what I call pride of ownership. People can poo poo that, but life is short and some things are special just to have.

Okay, I figured it was something like that. I understand completely. I just wanted to make sure I wasn't missing something.

Those stocks are indeed breath-taking. If you hadn't mentioned the maker, I would have said they were done by John Hurst; another artist no longer making stuff for us.

serialsolver
09-23-2015, 09:38 PM
I submit for inspection my pedestrian Detective Special. I has some holster wear and dings yet not shot much. I'm very pleased with it.
http://i233.photobucket.com/albums/ee179/serialsolver/DBE30EC5-8915-4260-AA80-52C36BC7963C_zpspjg7e1ph.jpg (http://s233.photobucket.com/user/serialsolver/media/DBE30EC5-8915-4260-AA80-52C36BC7963C_zpspjg7e1ph.jpg.html)

I'm thinking serrate the front sight ramp and birdsong black t finish. Still debating on grips.

serialsolver
04-19-2016, 09:33 PM
A little update.
http://i233.photobucket.com/albums/ee179/serialsolver/D67F6A08-3EE0-4774-B51B-E6E29F286B73_zpslfpzifyw.jpg (http://s233.photobucket.com/user/serialsolver/media/D67F6A08-3EE0-4774-B51B-E6E29F286B73_zpslfpzifyw.jpg.html)

I have serrated the front sight and then painted it orange. I bought an agent parts kit so I fitted the agent hammer to the ds to keep the ds hammer untouched and bobbed the agent hammer. The ds is snag free. Maybe a little heavy for pockets but doable. So the hammer can still be cocked it was serrated 50 lines an inch.
http://i233.photobucket.com/albums/ee179/serialsolver/0B49BBC3-F455-4FC6-B9AD-6F2957674712_zpsz5zcpmrk.jpg (http://s233.photobucket.com/user/serialsolver/media/0B49BBC3-F455-4FC6-B9AD-6F2957674712_zpsz5zcpmrk.jpg.html)

I'm slipping further into the colt revolver black hole.

entropy
04-19-2016, 09:48 PM
Nice. What do you like about the Colts that you cant get in a S&W? Just curious. With all the Smith models out there (compared to the Colts) Im curious. Mind you, I have not even held a Colt revolver.

Thanks

deputyG23
04-20-2016, 04:42 AM
Nice. What do you like about the Colts that you cant get in a S&W? Just curious. With all the Smith models out there (compared to the Colts) Im curious. Mind you, I have not even held a Colt revolver.

Thanks
In my experience, D-frame Colts fit my hand better.
They hold six rounds instead of five.
If used as a BUG for a K-frame Smith or a .38/.357 Dan Wesson, the same M10 HKS speed loaders will feed both guns.

BillSWPA
04-20-2016, 06:06 AM

Thanks

Colts also have longer ejector rods in 2 inch barrel configurations.

When I bought mine new in 1995, it was my understanding that Colt revolvers had a greater tolerance for +P than the S&W revolvers offered at the time. Clearly with S&W offering .357 J-frames, that is likely to have changed regardless of whether the information I had from the gun store at the time was correct.

BillSWPA
04-20-2016, 06:19 AM
We had a little old lady come in wanting to donate her recently deceased husbands gun collection to the agency. He had some RARE guns and honestly the collection was worth well into six figures. We did the right thing and got her hooked up with an honest gun/pawn guy who got her as much money as he could for the whole shebang. She walked away with a little less than 125K.

Glad you guys did the right thing, and this is now added to the list of reasons I hate the "gun buybacks" that are popular in some cities around here.

LockedBreech
04-20-2016, 09:48 AM
Glad you guys did the right thing, and this is now added to the list of reasons I hate the "gun buybacks" that are popular in some cities around here.

Just thinking about all the priceless guns lost through those utterly useless programs gets my blood hot. 999/1000 are Junkers/pellet guns/hi points but that 1/1000 is a little old lady sending a Colt Python to a sad grave.

BillSWPA
04-20-2016, 11:52 AM
Just thinking about all the priceless guns lost through those utterly useless programs gets my blood hot. 999/1000 are Junkers/pellet guns/hi points but that 1/1000 is a little old lady sending a Colt Python to a sad grave.

Additionally, how many of those 999/1000 are guns that were used in a crime, and can now no longer serve as evidence against the perpetrators?

LockedBreech
04-20-2016, 12:57 PM
Additionally, how many of those 999/1000 are guns that were used in a crime, and can now no longer serve as evidence against the perpetrators?

A great point. Thanks, I wanted to be angrier.

Hambo
04-20-2016, 01:25 PM

And people think the cops don't want to help out in the hood. What more can we do than pay criminals so we can destroy evidence against them? Protect and serve.

serialsolver
04-21-2016, 02:17 PM

Thanks

I like the colt cause it fits my hand best. The colt really is about the same size as a j frame with a extra round. Some folks don't like the way a colt trigger stacks up before it fires. I do. It tells me better have the sights aligned cause it's fixing to go off.

Sorry to take so long to reply it's been a long couple of days.

entropy
04-21-2016, 07:56 PM
Thanks for taking the time to reply. I appreciate the input.

BillSWPA
04-21-2016, 09:06 PM
The colt really is about the same size as a j frame with a extra round.

This is probably the biggest reason why a Colt rather than a S&W was my first concealed carry gun.

Ryan127
04-28-2016, 08:39 PM
I have had this for about a year now and it is one of my favorite revolvers. I've had a few offers to sell it but I've refused to sell.

serialsolver
04-28-2016, 09:27 PM
I have had this for about a year now and it is one of my favorite revolvers. I've had a few offers to sell it but I've refused to sell.

Keep refusing.