PDA

View Full Version : Comptac M-TAC

jslaker
09-03-2011, 08:02 PM
This is a holster I see commonly recommended elsewhere, but haven't seen mentioned much here. Granted, there is a strong bias toward AIWB holsters on this forum, but it seems a reasonable option for a readily available strongside behind the hip holster given the wait time is usually under 2 weeks.

I don't have any direct experience with it, so I'm interested in feedback as to whether it's a worthwhile recommendation for others, or if it has issues that I've not considered.

Argus
09-03-2011, 09:22 PM
I have one (9mm Glock slide; I usually carry a G26, sometimes a G19), and I don't use it much anymore. When you first put the holster on and stand there looking at yourself in the mirror, it conceals quite well and feels great. With that big leather backing, you don't feel the gun at all. However, after a few hours (particularly on a hot day) of moving around, sitting, etc., what you do feel is a big slab of leather pressing on your side. At least that's what I feel. A lot of people use the MTAC every day and swear by it. I also find that behind the hip is not the best carry position for me. When seated it's kind of uncomfortable, and very difficult to access the pistol. I've switched to wearing a Comp-Tac Infidel at the 3 o'clock position and find that it works better for me. YMMV.

ToddG
09-03-2011, 10:35 PM
I've never liked the so-called "hybrid" holsters. They're the worst of both worlds and don't seem to do anything better than an all-leather or all-kydex holster.

NickA
09-03-2011, 10:35 PM
I used one for a while for my G19. It is comfortable, but as noted you may start to feel that big chunk of leather. The other two things I didn't like: it can be a pain to take on and off without undoing your pants since it's so wide, and reholstering is a little wonky- You might have to point the muzzle at yourself to get it in the mouth of the holster. Not a bad holster for carrying, but maybe not the best for shooting a lot, like a class or match. I've switched to a Concealco for strong side carry and love it.

Sent from my PC36100 using Tapatalk

turbolag23
09-04-2011, 07:56 AM
i have the slide version for 9mm/40 glocks. i like that its pretty comfortable and tuckable. that was the big key for me, however the holster is not the easiest to draw from (little too much retention maybe) and reholstering can be a bit tricky. with the leather backing it kind of collapses on the gun and after you remove the gun. as mentioned above you have to point the gun at yourself and wiggle the gun back in the holster. i did a two day handgun class with the MTAC and while it got me through class i ordered a new holster after class.

VolGrad
09-04-2011, 08:27 AM
I've never liked the so-called "hybrid" holsters. They're the worst of both worlds and don't seem to do anything better than an all-leather or all-kydex holster.

.... which is why I always preferred the CTAC.

jetfire
09-04-2011, 02:34 PM

I concur. I tried a Crossbreed and hated it, then bought a CTAC and haven't looked back. Whenever I get a carry gun in for review, my first phone call is to Comp-Tac to see how fast they can get me a CTAC for it. I really like how stable it holds the gun, with the two clips over a proper gunbelt it just rides in the right spot and never moves.

JFK
09-05-2011, 12:12 PM
I have a MTAC and I do not like the way it draws. It does conceal very well. So much so it is hard for me to get a good initial grip as I have to wedge my thumb between my body to get a good purchase. I prefer my shaggy and am waiting on a Cane and Derby. I am quickly preferring kydex over leather too.

nwhpfan
09-05-2011, 04:59 PM
I like it. I've carried a P2000 in one in little over a year and a half. I carried a 1911 in one for a few months. I also carried an M&P in one for a month or so. FWIW-I've carried concealed for 13 years-the last 7 has been almost exclusively IWB. I carried a Kahr MK9 in a Milt Sparks SSII, Browning Hi Power in a Kramer #2 IWB and a Concealco IWB holster. By far the P2000 in the Minotaur has been the most comfortable and convenient for me. I hunt, ride ATV's, hike, fish, etc. with this set-up. It doesn't cost a lot it will be delivered in a few days!

Long tom coffin
09-13-2011, 11:54 PM
Lots of anti-hybrid hate on this one :)

I, for one, happen to love my M-TAC. My two holsters of choice right now for carrying my G19 is either my M-TAC for IWB and an X-Concealment Model C for OWB.

I'm completely flabbergasted about perceived comfort issues with the M-TAC; when I wear it, I am usually wearing it for very extended periods of time (At the office, functions, etc). If I'm going to wear it that day I'll usually put it on in the morning and take it off before bed so that's about ~16 hours of wear. I have it just behind my hip bone and I rarely even notice its there.

I'm going to disagree slightly with todd; I think the hybrid m-tac offers the best option for a tuckable holster out there, from a cost/benefit standpoint. I like the modularity of the holster, meaning if one part breaks, I don't necessarily have to spring for a new one or costly repairs, as would be the deal with an all leather or kydex rig. I've tried multiple different holsters, and the M-TAC is the best concealing IWB holster I've ever had, bar none. I like the standard cant it comes with as it gives me probably the smoothest and fastest draw out of all of my holsters, but it can easily be modified to practically any strongside cant you prefer.

The only thing I have notice with the M-TAC is that if you are rolling with a G19 with the Vickers Slide Catch on it, the increased size of the catch may get hung up the first few times on the leather sweatguard on the M-TAC when you are reholstering; this goes away after the holster is broken in.

Super J
09-14-2011, 07:02 AM
I have a mtac slide for my glocks and one for my P30. I love my mtac holsters and find them very comfortable.

orionz06
09-14-2011, 07:51 AM
For me, the CTAC rocks from 2:30-back. The other holsters just don't cut it. A good belt and proper adjustment of the holsters keeps things in check.

Not so long ago I used to buy a gun and then a CTAC ASAP.

SecondsCount
09-16-2011, 11:20 AM

I think you are being a little hard on them. While you and I don't like them, there are quite a few people I know that really like theirs and that is what counts. My wife has a Crossbreed Supertuck and I dare you to tell her that they suck. ;)

I recently traded some stuff for a Comp-Tac C-Tac and like it. The coverage around the top of the slide is a little more than I like but it does a good job of staying in place and retention is consistent.

TAZ
09-17-2011, 07:33 AM
I have one for my 19 that I used for EDC for well over a year or so in the TX heat and has no issues. It's very comfy and modularity is a positive. The only negative that I have run across, and IMO it's big, is that it is VERY belt tension sensitive wrt retention. Snug up your belt a teeny bit more than usual and you're in some comedy giving yourself a wedgie. The only reason I went away from it was cause I started running an X300 on my Glock and the MTAC just doesn't do that.

Corlissimo
09-26-2011, 03:06 PM
While not an M-TAC, I felt my SuperTuck is close enough for me to reply.

I wore it (CBST) daily (except for when I would OWB carry) for 18 months. I usually wore it from morning until bed time, which is easily 16 hours, and loved the comfort. A couple differences for me are that 1) I'm a LH shooter so no real hang-ups with the slide release, 2) I'm carrying an XD40 Service instead of a Glock, and 3) mine was horsehide, not leather.

However, recently it started "squeaking" a lot. I found that towards the muzzle end the slide had burnished the horsehide rather nicely and nothing I did (saddle soap, oiling the leather etc) would stop the squeak. It started to get so loud that it was easily detectable in public. Bad juju.

It was at that point that I switched to a Comp-Tac Infidel with the additional C-TAC strut. It's less comfortable, but when coupled with one of my Wilderness belts it's totally quiet. Like Argus said, it can easily be positioned from the SS hip back to the usual behind the hip position, as the need dictates. I'll probably get a C-TAC next so I have a backup. Then the CBST will be officially retired. Live & learn.

Hey, at least I'm not using my SERPA... well, not carrying with it at least. ;)
I do have it set up with a quick mount on the center console of my car and my truck for easy access while on driving all day.

HTH

JConn
09-26-2011, 05:28 PM
I just replaced my mtac with a bladetech nano because I felt the mtac was too hard to train with. Reholstering with an mtac is a big pain for me due to the leather collapsing. This of course makes holstering one handed impossible. I decided to switch so that I could train with the same holster I carry with. As a pure carry holster it is very comfortable and conceals well. I have sweat through the leather backing a few times and depending on your firearm this could be a nuisance or a bad thing. The only time I see myself using this in the future is when I have to tuck in my shirt.

So in closing, good holster, but I don't see the point of using a holster that is difficult to train with unless it is for some specialized purpose (tucking shirt in).

Note: gun used is a Glock 19
Note 2: the bladetech nano has been excellent. I know this sounds elementary, but finally doing all my training with the holster I carry has helped me to develop much more confidence in my ability use my weapon should the need arise. I will never go back to a holster I can't train with.

theblacknight
10-06-2011, 10:10 PM
I've been running a MP 9 in a MTAC since april 2008. I really like it.Reholstering has never been a problem, and I like using it at IDPA's. I've used it in Indiana and NC which have humidity and the leather has never bothered me. I've rode carnie rides and skateboarded with it( just cruising, no slasher stuff).

I run it with a comp tac belt, and it works just as did when it 1st broke in. I have the retention modded to keep the gun locked during a normal draw, but when I draw how I designed it, its free and ready.Nothing like what it sounds, just a sly little trick.

WyoXd
10-07-2011, 10:08 AM
I've been carrying my XD in an Mtac for a few years now and I really like it. In fact I completely quit OWB carry because of it. However,I opted to try a Ctac for my G17 which has been my primary carry gun this year.

My impressions:
Drawing and reholstering are way better with the Ctac, concealability is about the same with both, adjusting my belt is way easier with the Ctac since it doesn't collapse, and comfort for me is about the same with either. I spend a lot of time at school functions for my kids where my gun has to stay in my vehicle and the Mtac is definitely more comfortable without a gun than the Ctac.

Overall I'd say I like the Ctac better but they are both great holsters

Sent from my C771 using Tapatalk