PDA

View Full Version : Hipster Stories...

voodoo_man
06-30-2015, 06:56 PM
Since we all deal with them from time to time. Though I seem to deal with them more often than most.

I was in desperate need for a cup of coffee, you know the kind I am talking about, like if you do not get it you will turn into the crypt keeper in one form or another.

So I see a big sign for "COFFEE!" on one window and as I walked up to the front door I see this...

http://i.imgur.com/cakd87n.jpg

What's the name of the business?

Yeahhhh.....

I looked inside to make sure I was still in the US and I saw several tattooed gals with various piercings in various places on their person. I could smell the oily odor of vegan no-water bath rub and I went to Wawa like a normal person.

Tiffany Johnson
06-30-2015, 06:59 PM
LOL!

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G920A using Tapatalk

Malamute
06-30-2015, 07:03 PM
Since we all deal with them from time to time. Though I seem to deal with them more often than most.

I was in desperate need for a cup of coffee, you know the kind I am talking about, like if you do not get it you will turn into the crypt keeper in one form or another.

So I see a big sign for "COFFEE!" on one window and as I walked up to the front door I see this...

Yeahhhh.....

I looked inside to make sure I was still in the US and I saw several tattooed gals with various piercings in various places on their person. I could smell the oily odor of vegan no-water bath rub and I went to Wawa like a normal person.

Man, that was close!

That aroma probably would have followed you all day long. There wouldnt have been any hiding where you had been.

orionz06
06-30-2015, 07:34 PM
Horchata, PBR, and beards are indicators for sure. Shame that they ruined a shot at good coffee.

LittleLebowski
06-30-2015, 07:45 PM
I like horchata but I married a Mexican.

Zhurdan
06-30-2015, 09:20 PM
Sitting at a bar in Greeley, CO. Will report back in 30 seconds with hipster story. (perhaps not that soon, but if you've ever traveled here, you understand.)

Just to be fair, are you sure it isn't at 1515 something street?

RoyGBiv
06-30-2015, 09:26 PM
I had to look it up...

From Wiki...

Horchata (/ɔrˈtʃɑːtə/; Spanish: [orˈtʃata] ( listen)), or orxata (Catalan pronunciation: [oɾˈʃata]), is the name of several kinds of traditional beverages, made of ground almonds, sesame seeds, rice, barley, or tigernuts (chufas).

Totem Polar
06-30-2015, 09:35 PM
Dude, are you kidding me? That Isis chick was hotter than fire. Don't be missing out on that.

http://ia.media-imdb.com/images/M/MV5BMTkyOTQ4MzA5MF5BMl5BanBnXkFtZTgwNDU5NDkwMDE@._ V1_SY317_CR4,0,214,317_AL_.jpg

scott
06-30-2015, 09:47 PM
Alternate thread title: Calvinist narrowly avoids pleasure.
Wawa coffee? Really?

Edited to add: I might be a hipster though. I own several turntables, innumerable film cameras, and I modified my hand cranked coffee grinder to give a more consistent coarse grind for my french press. Feel free to ignore.

Kyle Reese
07-01-2015, 12:13 AM
Alternate thread title: Calvinist narrowly avoids pleasure.
Wawa coffee? Really?

Edited to add: I might be a hipster though. I own several turntables, innumerable film cameras, and I modified my hand cranked coffee grinder to give a more consistent coarse grind for my french press. Feel free to ignore.

Wawa coffee is superior to Harbucks, IMO.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

GardoneVT
07-01-2015, 12:14 AM

http://i.imgur.com/cakd87n.jpg

Yeahhhh.....

In all fairness to the oily vegan people, Isis was the name of an Egyptian goddess long before it became an acronym for inhuman savaegry.

scott
07-01-2015, 01:44 AM

Oh, I won't deny that. Starbucks can go die in a fire.

voodoo_man
07-01-2015, 03:37 AM
The address of that shop is 1515, but they chose a very poor text font to use.

I did open the door and look in, yeah...would have been a modified scene from super troopers:

"I'll take a medium black coffee, please."

"Ok...you dont get anything. We only serve black coffee here..." - as she makes a cappuccino with various additives for someosomeone with her exact style of everything.

"Uhh, yeah thats fine."

"Ok then....one medium black....its for a cop."

"You dont need my name? There are other people here..."

"Make that a medium black for racist black child killing woman hating pig. To go."

"Please dont spit in my coffee..."

"Add some oil to that coffee...."

orionz06
07-01-2015, 05:52 AM

What isn't?

I did open the door and look in, yeah...would have been a modified scene from super troopers:

"Ok...you dont get anything. We only serve black coffee here..." - as she makes a cappuccino with various additives for someosomeone with her exact style of everything.

"Uhh, yeah thats fine."

"Make that a medium black for racist black child killing woman hating pig. To go."

Black coffee or bust. Maybe it's bed you went to WaWa.

rob_s
07-01-2015, 08:05 AM
I got one...

I went to this website about shooting one time. When I started reading posts I found discussions about appendix carry, straight-razor shaving, craft beer, Augs, coffee, DA/SA pistols, gay marriage "rights", gunfighting classes taught by people that have never been in a gunfight...

Fuxxing hipsters.

I was going to bail before the stink of Fireclean got on me, but there's still good information and discussion (and entertainment) in spite of all that so I stick around until someone bans me.

LittleLebowski
07-01-2015, 08:14 AM
I got one...

I went to this website about shooting one time. When I started reading posts I found discussions about appendix carry, straight-razor shaving, craft beer, Augs, coffee, DA/SA pistols, gay marriage "rights", gunfighting classes taught by people that have never been in a gunfight...

Fuxxing hipsters.

I was going to bail before the stink of Fireclean got on me, but there's still good information and discussion (and entertainment) in spite of all that so I stick around until someone bans me.

A true hipster is so weary of everything so you fit right in :D

LittleLebowski
07-01-2015, 08:16 AM

"Uhh, yeah thats fine."

You did ask for a "liter of coffee," right? Or did you just have some syrup?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IguAgCLShOY

pablo
07-01-2015, 12:29 PM
I helped a detective track down a witness that decided that a grand jury subpoena was optional. Anyways we track him down at his aunt's house, find him in his underwear, and minus track the marks he looked like a heroin addict. Turns out he was a "hipster". He insist on getting "cleaned up" before going, and we spend the next 45 minutes watching him perfect the unkept appearance of his hair and beard, and mixing and matching dirty shirts, jeans and Chuck Taylors.

Hipsters are just people who put a whole lot of effort into not looking like they're making an effort.

voodoo_man
07-01-2015, 03:08 PM
You did ask for a "liter of coffee," right? Or did you just have some syrup?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IguAgCLShOY

Both?

LOKNLOD
07-01-2015, 03:24 PM
Starbucks can go die in a fire.

Would the coffee taste any different if it did?

SLG
07-01-2015, 03:55 PM
Rumor has it that they don't ban people any longer. :cool:

More's the pity. :-)

voodoo_man
07-01-2015, 03:55 PM
Starbucks is good.

If its free.

Glenn E. Meyer
07-01-2015, 04:11 PM
One of the local news people is an attractive young woman named Isis - pronounced EeSis. A local pol was name KeeKee but spelled it like an antisemitic slur. Clueless.

As far as the drink, they sell it by the half gallon in San Antonio and other TX stores.

It's a yawn to get concerned.

tusk212
07-01-2015, 05:30 PM
Wawa's? I prefer Sheetz.

MRW
07-01-2015, 06:08 PM
Wawa's? I prefer Sheetz.

Outside of PA and northern WV, I would be surprised if anyone else knew what Sheetz was. Their coffee isn't that great but then again, neither is Wawa's.

As for hipsters, I found a surprising amount are actually into firearms. I spent a while a few days back discussing 1911's with one. And he isn't the only one I've talked too. A bunch I know are getting into hunting to. Part of the whole sustainable harvest concept. More responsible hunters and firearms owners is a good thing.

bfoosh006
07-01-2015, 08:21 PM
Good God.... Come out to Portland, Oregon....their is a never ending parade everyday.

Totem Polar
07-01-2015, 10:11 PM
How did the hipster burn the roof of his mouth?

Ate his pizza before it was cool...

How do you kill a hipster?

Drown him in the mainstream

How many hipsters does it take to change a lightbulb?

It's a pretty cool number; you probably haven't heard of it...

JDM
07-01-2015, 10:23 PM
Outside of PA and northern WV, I would be surprised if anyone else knew what Sheetz was. Their coffee isn't that great but then again, neither is Wawa's.

As for hipsters, I found a surprising amount are actually into firearms. I spent a while a few days back discussing 1911's with one. And he isn't the only one I've talked too. A bunch I know are getting into hunting to. Part of the whole sustainable harvest concept. More responsible hunters and firearms owners is a good thing.

The only reason I know what a Wawa is, is because of a stupid Bam Margera movie.

voodoo_man
07-02-2015, 04:01 AM
Wawa's? I prefer Sheetz.

Thems fightin words.

Hambo
07-02-2015, 06:00 AM
I'm not a hipster and I can prove it:

I have a beard but do not use hair care products in it.
I carry a DA/SA pistol, but I bought it new...in 1988.

TAZ
07-02-2015, 09:05 PM
Starbucks is good.

If its free.

You need to put down the keyboard, take a step back and call for a psych evaluation immediately.

Coffee and Starbucks aren't in the same solar system.

Malamute
07-02-2015, 09:34 PM
Starbucks is good.

If its free.

You need to put down the keyboard, take a step back and call for a psych evaluation immediately.

Coffee and Starbucks aren't in the same solar system.

First time I had starbucks, a friend from seattle had some. I about gagged, though he was very proud he had it. Then my dads girlfriend had it at the house when I visited. It takes a ton of junk added to stand drinking it. I dont get why people thin k such bitter nasty tasting coffee is good. Makes me shudder and wince thinking about it.

Oddly, their cold bottled mochas arent too bad. They must really add a lot of sugar and stuff to it.

RoyGBiv
07-03-2015, 12:12 AM
We're making McDonald's coffee at home these days.
2.5 pounds for 9 bucks at Costco. Excellent stuff.

I used the rest of the Starbucks Breakfast Blend to coat a prime rib roast a few weeks ago.

Malamute
07-03-2015, 12:22 AM
I'm not a coffee connoisseur by any means, but McDonalds coffee has been pretty decent most of the time I've had it. I may buy some and try it at home. It better than what I usually make.

Coyotesfan97
07-03-2015, 04:13 AM
I stopped going to Starbucks when Dutch Brothers came to town.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

orionz06
07-03-2015, 10:18 AM
This has turned from a hipster thread into a confession booth for crimes against coffee.

Malamute
07-03-2015, 11:16 AM
This has turned from a hipster thread into a confession booth for crimes against coffee.

I was at a buds place once, he was watching me make a cup of coffee fit for human consumption. He said "make me one up like youre doing". I did. He took a sip, took another one, then said "you really dont like coffee, do you?" Black tastes like unsweetened baking cocoa to me, or maybe used motor oil,...or a full ashtray thats sat out in the rain. Add some sweet stuff and cream, and its magically transformed into something I can stand to drink. :)

Cookie Monster
07-03-2015, 11:30 AM
Throwing out hate on Starbucks is very hipster.

I got a guy down the road that roasts coffee (even more hipster) and my favorite Sunday is to roast some green beans in a popcorn popper and make a proper cup (over the top hipster).

Was this thread about being a hipster?

Cookie Monster

Drang
07-03-2015, 11:58 AM
Throwing out hate on Starbucks is very hipster.
This.
When I was in Noo Yawk saving it from "Hurricane" Sandy my team insisted on stopping at Dunkin' Donuts every morning.
They weren't amused when I asked them what they saw in engine sludge.

Erik
07-03-2015, 02:15 PM
If liking good coffee makes me a hipster, then pass the skinny jeans, please.

https://tscng.files.wordpress.com/2012/10/tumblr_liwbktvq901qzktk6.jpg?w=306&h=300

orionz06
07-03-2015, 02:22 PM
If liking good coffee makes me a hipster, then pass the skinny jeans, please.

https://tscng.files.wordpress.com/2012/10/tumblr_liwbktvq901qzktk6.jpg?w=306&h=300

So much this. I just assume that those who drink Starbucks also cook their steaks dry and use steak sauce and shoot Hi-Points.

Joe in PNG
07-03-2015, 04:20 PM
Some folks drink coffee with sugar and cream, and some folks like apple-tinis.

LSP972
07-03-2015, 05:43 PM
Black tastes like unsweetened baking cocoa to me, or maybe used motor oil,...or a full ashtray thats sat out in the rain. Add some sweet stuff and cream, and its magically transformed into something I can stand to drink. :)

Hear, hear.

I never drank coffee as a yearling; my folks didn't drink it, and the army coffee was worse than bomb-crater water.

Then I became the po-lice. The training academy cafeteria had a 30 gallon stainless coffee machine that was used to make coffee for breakfast, and around ten A.M. they'd dump that out and brew up ice tea in it for lunch. Every day. Whatever came out of it was low-grade rocket fuel, for sure. So I didn't drink that either.

Then I hit the road, on FTO, and when we would take breaks I'd grab a coke or something carbonated. I kept getting funny looks, and finally one of the old vets said to me, "Real cops drink coffee, boy. You were in the service, right? What are you, some kind of closet lawyer?"

So I learned to drink coffee. Lots of cream and sugar (my coon-ass partners called it coffeemilk). To this day, I'll have a cup if the social situation calls for it, but if you ever find me in a Starbucks or equivalent, call the wagon; I've lost it all.

RevolverRob
07-03-2015, 06:00 PM

It actually kind of looks like a hipster coffee thread...

Just sayin'

-Rob

Trooper224
07-03-2015, 06:05 PM
Hear, hear.

I never drank coffee as a yearling; my folks didn't drink it, and the army coffee was worse than bomb-crater water.

Then I became the po-lice. The training academy cafeteria had a 30 gallon stainless coffee machine that was used to make coffee for breakfast, and around ten A.M. they'd dump that out and brew up ice tea in it for lunch. Every day. Whatever came out of it was low-grade rocket fuel, for sure. So I didn't drink that either.

Then I hit the road, on FTO, and when we would take breaks I'd grab a coke or something carbonated. I kept getting funny looks, and finally one of the old vets said to me, "Real cops drink coffee, boy. You were in the service, right? What are you, some kind of closet lawyer?"

So I learned to drink coffee. Lots of cream and sugar (my coon-ass partners called it coffeemilk). To this day, I'll have a cup if the social situation calls for it, but if you ever find me in a Starbucks or equivalent, call the wagon; I've lost it all.

The Navy cured me of any desire to drink coffee. We had a huge coffee pot in sonar control that never got cleaned no matter how long the deployment was, nasty doesn't describe it. To this day I get strange looks when I walk into a jail, dispatch office, etc. and refuse the offer of a cup of coffee.

TR675
07-03-2015, 06:32 PM
Good quality beans, a French press and a grinder will change your lives, gents. Even a blade grinder gives good results with the right technique.

Bigguy
07-03-2015, 06:45 PM
When I was growing up, there was a loaded pot of coffee at my house when ever anybody was awake. I learned to drink stuff most would have called a hazmat unit for.
Then, I took a break from college and crewed on a tow boat running the lower Mississippi. Lemme tell ya, those coonass river-rats drink a toxic sludge that will not only dissolve your teeth and stomach lining, it’ll hit you like a fifth of Boudreaux’s home brew. I’m not sure exactly how this stuff is made, although I’m fairly sure a breeder reactor is involved, but I know that one ingredient is chicory. I’m serious, don’t drink this stuff if you’re going to be operating machinery or a motor vehicle in the next few hours.
Up until about 10 years ago, I’d have a cup of coffee right before going to bed. Alas, time has caught up with me, and I don’t drink as much coffee as I once did. The missus bought one of those Keurig coffee makers. I’ve gotten pretty spoiled, and don’t drink much of anything else. We even bought our son one for Christmas so that we’d have it when we visited. Does that make me a hipster?

Drang
07-03-2015, 09:23 PM
Cant help wonder at what point a matter of personal preference and taste becomes hipsterism...

The missus bought one of those Keurig coffee makers. I’ve gotten pretty spoiled, and don’t drink much of anything else. We even bought our son one for Christmas so that we’d have it when we visited. Does that make me a hipster?
Keurigs are great. Very versatile. Tea, hot chocolate, everybody gets whatever roast and grind they want. Order some My Kap lids (http://www.my-cap.com/) and you can reuse Keurig cups with whatever coffee you like.

RevolverRob
07-04-2015, 09:11 AM
Good quality beans, a French press and a grinder will change your lives, gents. Even a blade grinder gives good results with the right technique.

Not to get all coffee-hipster but this is straight up true. At home I always use a French press and high quality single-origin beans. The biggest problem with buying coffee anywhere is it usually isn't brewed strong enough for my taste. For this reason I usually just drink straight espresso or cappuccinos when out and about.

but I know that one ingredient is chicory. I’m serious, don’t drink this stuff if you’re going to be operating machinery or a motor vehicle in the next few hours.

My great grandfather made coffee with chicory and cocoa everyday of his adult life. When I was kid we would go down to visit him (he raised cattle and grew cotton in the Rio Grande Valley) my dad still swears that his coffee was the strongest he has ever had saying, "It was so thick and strong you could stir in some sugar and the spoon would stay standing." After all these years, I've finally gotten my recipe really close to his. I'm convinced it's the key to a long life, my great grandfather lived to be 110 years old and his wife lived to 98 years old.

-Rob

Kyle Reese
07-04-2015, 09:14 AM
Get some Black Rifle Coffee. http://www.blackriflecoffee.com/

voodoo_man
07-04-2015, 09:30 AM
Get some Black Rifle Coffee. http://www.blackriflecoffee.com/

http://cdn.meme.am/instances2/500x/595020.jpg

41magfan
07-04-2015, 09:55 AM
I've been drinking the stuff since I was about 5 years old; the sweetened "café con leche" variety that LSP972 made reference. But having been a cop, I'll drink anything they label as coffee though my taste runs toward the run-of-the-mill blends.

One of my siblings buys some pricey stuff ($25/lb) from some African country that to hear him tell it, has to be smuggled into the country like dope. It taste like convenience store coffee strained through a dirty sock.

If that is indeed one of the finer things in life, I'll pass.

LSP972
07-04-2015, 10:01 AM
The biggest problem with buying coffee anywhere is it usually isn't brewed strong enough for my taste.

Visit south Louisiana. They make it strong enough for you.

NerdAlert
07-04-2015, 10:48 AM
For most people who hate on hipsters the underlying feeling I get is that they don't like the fact that hipsters think they are better than everyone else. Kind of a funny dynamic when you really think about it.

Sent from my iPhone, I apologize in advance for typos.

"Gustatus similis pullus"

Drang
07-04-2015, 10:48 AM
I started a thread for Coffee...
http://tinyurl.com/qahbztz

voodoo_man
07-04-2015, 11:04 AM
I started a thread for Coffee...
http://tinyurl.com/qahbztz

woot thanks!

Leave this thread for the hipster-riddled days some of us have to endure...

TR675
07-04-2015, 11:05 AM
Moved to the coffee thread.

HCM
07-04-2015, 12:30 PM
Ok, I'll be the one to say it -McDonalds has great coffee. Better than Starbucks by far. Maybe even a little better than Dunkin Doughnuts. Waffle House coffee isn't bad either.

I normally abhor flavored coffees or creamers but one of my all time favorite coffees is the Mexican Cafecito at the cafeteria in the basement of the Bexar County Courthouse. The little old ladies there put just the right touch of cinnamon in it.

voodoo_man
07-06-2015, 11:06 AM
So last night was a cluster, since its the third day of a three or four day weekend for most of these types of people, so that means the third or fourth day of a bender, or one they are trying to sober up from.

I respond to a domestic situation. When I get there, a hipster girl meets me at the door, obviously overly intoxicated, possibly high too. She's got all the weird tattoo's on weird parts of her body (like a giant anchor on her inner thigh, what's the purpose of that?) and of course that rank odor hipster musk mixed with the lack of bathing.

She turns on the water works about her boyfriend, cursing up a storm (like a lady should) and dropping things like "I won't let this happen again!" I finally get the gist of the situation out of her and she said her boyfriend assaulted her. Ok, pretty open and shut, except she's got no visible red marks or injuries and the stuff she was saying occurred would have left them without a doubt. I am trying to get her to decide if she is going to come in and make a statement when another unit picks up her boyfriend, also very intoxicated, walking down the street around the corner.

I drive her over, "yep that's the motherfucker!" Alrighty then, lets go make a statement - "Nope, not doing that, I changed my mind, you guys scared him so that'll teach him."

*thisisn'thowthisworks.jpg*

She refuses to go, then I tell her if she wants him arrested she has to go with us and make a report, her response? "I made the whole thing up."

*rage.jpg* on the inside...

I told her to have a nice day, they both met up down the street and walked home.

Edwin
07-06-2015, 12:16 PM
Wawa's? I prefer Sheetz.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2skCAIl_Ze4&index=13&list=PLfH4HJ9AAqVSstrhnbCECKmnyWps6w58E

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UXnHfybQzHk&list=PLfH4HJ9AAqVSstrhnbCECKmnyWps6w58E&index=16

Peally
07-06-2015, 12:51 PM
So last night was a cluster, since its the third day of a three or four day weekend for most of these types of people, so that means the third or fourth day of a bender, or one they are trying to sober up from.

I respond to a domestic situation. When I get there, a hipster girl meets me at the door, obviously overly intoxicated, possibly high too. She's got all the weird tattoo's on weird parts of her body (like a giant anchor on her inner thigh, what's the purpose of that?) and of course that rank odor hipster musk mixed with the lack of bathing.

She turns on the water works about her boyfriend, cursing up a storm (like a lady should) and dropping things like "I won't let this happen again!" I finally get the gist of the situation out of her and she said her boyfriend assaulted her. Ok, pretty open and shut, except she's got no visible red marks or injuries and the stuff she was saying occurred would have left them without a doubt. I am trying to get her to decide if she is going to come in and make a statement when another unit picks up her boyfriend, also very intoxicated, walking down the street around the corner.

I drive her over, "yep that's the motherfucker!" Alrighty then, lets go make a statement - "Nope, not doing that, I changed my mind, you guys scared him so that'll teach him."

*thisisn'thowthisworks.jpg*

She refuses to go, then I tell her if she wants him arrested she has to go with us and make a report, her response? "I made the whole thing up."

*rage.jpg* on the inside...

I told her to have a nice day, they both met up down the street and walked home.

OK ma'am, please come with me. That'll be $7999.99 for the false police dispatch and lying to my face. Cash or check?

OnionsAndDragons
07-06-2015, 01:03 PM
That is a textbook example of one of our sons behavior...

He is 9. And also a hipster. Already. I'm hoping the BJJ classes wring that out of him. :)

voodoo_man
07-06-2015, 01:05 PM
OK ma'am, please come with me. That'll be $7999.99 for the false police dispatch and lying to my face. Cash or check?

Believe me I was so close, except I know for a fact our DAs charging unit refuses to prosecute false reports.

MDS
07-25-2015, 10:19 AM
http://images.tapatalk-cdn.com/15/07/25/1f5f3643d260eaee80ca20567b314c2d.jpg

I bet SN has at least one interesting hamster story...

jondoe297
07-25-2015, 05:39 PM
Thems fightin words.

I got yo back, bro. Wawa > Sheetz

deputyG23
07-31-2015, 08:57 PM
There are numerous Sheetz stores in VA. Coffee is not their strong suit.

BaiHu
08-05-2015, 10:13 PM
It's Hipster Trapping Season in NYC. $25/pelt...

http://gawker.com/5781582/someone-is-setting-hipster-traps-in-new-york

Trooper224
08-06-2015, 12:46 AM
Not a hipster story persay but...............

We were recently in San Antonio for a few days. We were on a Trolley with an Hispanic gentleman driving. One of the white passengers got up at the next stop and before heading out the door, turned to the driver and asked, "What part of Mexico are you from?" In the best dead pan delivery possible the driver replied, "San Antonio". Priceless.

LSP552
08-06-2015, 03:02 PM
Not a hipster story persay but...............

We were recently in San Antonio for a few days. We were on a Trolley with an Hispanic gentleman driving. One of the white passengers got up at the next stop and before heading out the door, turned to the driver and asked, "What part of Mexico are you from?" In the best dead pan delivery possible the driver replied, "San Antonio". Priceless.

If it not for the clueless idiots, our jobs wouldn't have been near as much fun!

Trooper224
08-06-2015, 03:17 PM
If it not for the clueless idiots, our jobs wouldn't have been near as much fun!

True indeed. I have no doubt that was the best laugh anyone on that Trolley had the entire weekend.

Drang
08-06-2015, 04:17 PM

If this quote is correct, we're all in trouble:

...having any opinion at all about hipsters or their taste preferences automatically renders you a hipster.

M2CattleCo
08-31-2015, 11:34 PM
I like horchata but I married a Mexican.

Haha! Yo tambien! Y yo gusta una horchata bueno....

nycnoob
09-01-2015, 06:41 PM

Did a quick search, the images are from here
UrbanTraps.com (http://urbantraps.com/)
They have a Tea Party trap as well

the images are too large to imbed on this site.

voodoo_man
09-29-2015, 09:16 PM
Road bikes in a denae urban setting.

Great idea when its warm and dry.

When its wet and dark, people dont care if you cant stop quickly, or slide all over the place.

Yes its your fault you slid into the intersection and got mangled by a vehicle driving the speed limit through a green light.

Cut your beard and take a shower.

1slow
09-30-2015, 07:38 AM
Bicycles have a very small contact patch and weak brakes compared to anything else road legal.
Hipness does not trump physics.

orionz06
09-30-2015, 08:04 AM
Depends... Many hipster bikes, or the bikes ridden by those who are thought to be hipsters, are pretty quick to stop. They're more formula 1 stopping than grandmas Buick and relative to most motor vehicles they're vastly superior. They aren't immune to poor road conditions though.

Sent from my Nokia 3310 using an owl

voodoo_man
09-30-2015, 10:25 AM
Depends... Many hipster bikes, or the bikes ridden by those who are thought to be hipsters, are pretty quick to stop. They're more formula 1 stopping than grandmas Buick and relative to most motor vehicles they're vastly superior. They aren't immune to poor road conditions though.

I've seen a few road bike types that were heavily modified and stop on a dime, but none of them ever work well in the rain.

orionz06
09-30-2015, 10:42 AM
They're awesome not even modified... Rain is rain though, ride accordingly.

BehindBlueI's
09-30-2015, 04:04 PM
Hipsters are just city people who want to be hillbillies, but don't want to admit they want to be hillbillies. Sure, they used fixed gear bicycles instead of ATVs, but that's just because city.

"Periodic" bathing? Check.
Facial hair? Check.
Cheap beer or "craft" brew beer? Check.
Hats that are no longer in fashion by several decades? Check.
String music from unpopular bands? Check.
"Old timey" things. Check.

The difference is hillbillies and hilljacks (a nickel to those who know the difference) are ok with enjoying all of those things and don't have to add "ironically" to them.

:D

orionz06
09-30-2015, 04:08 PM
Hipsters are just city people who want to be hillbillies, but don't want to admit they want to be hillbillies. Sure, they used fixed gear bicycles instead of ATVs, but that's just because city.

"Periodic" bathing? Check.
Facial hair? Check.
Cheap beer or "craft" brew beer? Check.
Hats that are no longer in fashion by several decades? Check.
String music from unpopular bands? Check.
"Old timey" things. Check.

The difference is hillbillies and hilljacks (a nickel to those who know the difference) are ok with enjoying all of those things and don't have to add "ironically" to them.

Tom Jones! We need a send this man a beer button! NOW!

luckyman
09-30-2015, 05:56 PM

Oh oh. I had to google "hilljack", but I think I might be one. Or at least I ran away to California to try to escape that fate . . .oh oh, I think I just confirmed I truly am one.

BehindBlueI's
09-30-2015, 06:00 PM
Oh oh. I had to google "hilljack", but I think I might be one. Or at least I ran away to California to try to escape that fate . . .oh oh, I think I just confirmed I truly am one.

Yup. Hillbilly diaspora, resulting in hilljacks nationwide.

1slow
10-01-2015, 08:50 AM
Bicycles have a very small contact patch and weak brakes compared to anything else road legal.
Hipness does not trump physics.

I forgot to qualify my statement.
In perfect dry clean pavement bikes can do OK, but, any problems of road conditions tend to be magnified by the small contact patch.

HCM
10-02-2015, 10:02 AM
One man's take on the hipsters in his neighborhood

https://m.facebook.com/story.php?story_fbid=10206886761955057&id=1457583099

voodoo_man
10-02-2015, 11:32 AM

I like him, he's alright in my book.

UNK
10-13-2015, 11:33 AM
Hipsters mistaken for IsIs

http://nypost.com/2015/10/12/bearded-hipsters-mistaken-for-isis-terrorists-in-sweden/

Peally
10-13-2015, 12:33 PM
That's profiling!

SamAdams
10-13-2015, 06:23 PM
I stopped going to Starbucks when Dutch Brothers came to town.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I'm addicted to Dutch Bros mochas, when I buy from a stand. Gives me an excuse to drink chocolate milk as an adult.

At home, we're now back to Folgers.

Joe in PNG
10-14-2015, 02:43 AM
I love Australia, and love my vacations there... but there's just one little thing. I really wish the Aussies would learn to make proper, real coffee in either a drip pot or a plunger.
Seriously, you either get a long black (watered espresso at $5 per cup, no refills) or instant.

RoyGBiv
10-14-2015, 09:26 AM
I love Australia, and love my vacations there... but there's just one little thing. I really wish the Aussies would learn to make proper, real coffee in either a drip pot or a plunger.
Seriously, you either get a long black (watered espresso at $5 per cup, no refills) or instant.

I was there last in 1994, IIRC. They were making pizza with a sauce that was akin to ketchup. Blech!
However.... MEAT PIES!! FTW.

Joe in PNG
10-14-2015, 02:57 PM
I was there last in 1994, IIRC. They were making pizza with a sauce that was akin to ketchup. Blech!
However.... MEAT PIES!! FTW.

Meat pies- a thing I wish would catch on in the USA.

Glenn E. Meyer
10-14-2015, 02:58 PM
I've seen Aussie meat pies (or so claimed) frozen in some supermarkets.

Drang
10-16-2015, 09:05 PM
I've seen Aussie meat pies (or so claimed) frozen in some supermarkets.

They're not bad. Not Cornish pasties, but not bad.

Lost River
10-25-2015, 08:53 PM

That was some funny stuff right there.

Not surprising at all he was a contractor.