PDA

View Full Version : Foregrip or no foregrip..

breakingtime91
06-30-2015, 12:43 PM
So, I have been messing around with having one on on my carbine again (16inch bcm middy with bcm kmr). Can't decide which I like better, anyone got a reason to use when or not to use one?

Peally
06-30-2015, 01:00 PM
I use a shorty as a grip placement reference and a handy thing to use for bracing against barricades, but not much else. They're just handy little stubs IMO, no reason yet for me to get rid of it.

breakingtime91
06-30-2015, 01:01 PM
I use a shorty as a grip placement reference and a handy thing to use for bracing against barricades, but not much else. They're just handy little stubs IMO, no reason yet for me to get rid of it.

ya i have the BCM key mod one, I use it as a reference, barricade, and storage thingy..

Peally
06-30-2015, 01:08 PM
OK I went full retard and misread "deciding whether to use one" instead of "deciding on which one to use". Sorry :D

I don't need storage in the grip so I use a Magpul vert grip (short enough to stay out of the way, long enough to use as a rest). BCM has a huge selection too, and if I had a KeyMod rifle that'd be the route I'd personally take.

LittleLebowski
06-30-2015, 01:38 PM
I like the stubby one in case things get too hot and for barricades.

Kyle Reese
06-30-2015, 01:39 PM

Ditto.

breakingtime91
06-30-2015, 08:15 PM
thanks guys, I think I'm gonna keep it on there.

Failure2Stop
06-30-2015, 09:40 PM
If you can't determine why you have it, then you might want to reevaluate your gear choice.

From Tapatalk:
Jack Leuba
Knight's Armament Company: Military/Govt Product Liaison
F2S Consulting: Director of Shooting Stuff

Andy T
06-30-2015, 09:42 PM
They are also useful for shooting from a variety of unorthodox positions. You can use it to brace against you forearm, rest it on your shoes, etc...

NickA
07-01-2015, 08:57 AM
Good thought, I hadn't considered the heat issue (since I haven't done any high volume carbine shooting).
Just won a free KMR rail, think I'll order a short grip for it.

Sent from my XT1095 using Tapatalk

Default.mp3
07-02-2015, 09:35 AM
A consideration if you plan on using a foregrip with KeyMod as a brace or other stressed part:
http://i.imgbox.com/K72eXKBV.png (http://imgbox.com/K72eXKBV)

Roland obviously isn't his real name, but it is the same guy that the Roland Special was named after; the guy's currently an SMU, FWIW.

breakingtime91
07-02-2015, 09:58 AM
A consideration if you plan on using a foregrip with KeyMod as a brace or other stressed part:
http://i.imgbox.com/K72eXKBV.png (http://imgbox.com/K72eXKBV)

Roland obviously isn't his real name, but it is the same guy that the Roland Special was named after; the guy's currently an SMU, FWIW.

that doesn't jive with what I've seen. I lift 6 times a week and can bench mid 200's and curl in the 90's for max (not super good but for my weight im doing ok) and it doesn't budge.

*Also not saying this guy is doing it but as soon as MLOK came out it seemed like keymod started to suck over night. Before that it seemed like everyone was accepting it as an option but then BAM Mlok and "keymod sucks!"

John Hearne
07-02-2015, 12:33 PM
First, let me say that you can do good work with a bone stock AR. If I had to prioritize upgrades, I'd say:
1) Sling
2) White light
3) Red dot optic
4) Free float tube
5) VFG

My take is that the VFG is more for the offensive use of the AR than the defensive role. It allows me to rapidly move my support hand out to a known, easily repeatable position and to help me shoot from obstacles. I'm running a very stubby Unity Tactical which is just long enough to be useful but not so long as to be in the way.

The only negative I see with a VFG is the use of the hammer grip on it. This can cause some accuracy problems as shooters over torque the gun.

Peally
07-02-2015, 01:02 PM
Might as well buy one of those 90's broomstick VFGs if you're going to be a dork and grab the entire thing ;)

LHS
07-02-2015, 04:42 PM
I still use a stubby TD, mostly as a hand stop. I don't use them on shotguns though.

Surf
07-02-2015, 07:54 PM
I've run the gamut as Far as VFG's and helped with the inspiration for some variants. I have experienced or tackled just about every pro and con that I have heard of, or could think of on my own in regards to their use and now I am back to not using one. My experiences are not necessarily the same as others, so one may need to go through the process on their own to come to a conclusion. However as F2S mentions, if you cannot find an advantage to any accessory or piece of gear, then you might want to reassess the choice.

Kyle Reese
07-02-2015, 08:04 PM
I use them as more of an anchor point for my support hand, but have found that the AFG pronates my support hand wrist a bit more than I would like.

LHS
07-03-2015, 04:45 PM
I use them as more of an anchor point for my support hand, but have found that the AFG pronates my support hand wrist a bit more than I would like.

Agreed. I've tried the AFG on a few guns (AKs, shotguns, ARs) and never liked it. If it works for folks, rock on, but it's not for me. My hand's much more comfortable using a handstop.