PDA

View Full Version : Gripforce Adaptors

DocGKR
09-03-2011, 02:16 AM
While initially a bit skeptical, I have added Grip Force Adaptors (http://gripforceproducts.com) to my Glocks and am truly impressed by the benefits they offer, as noted by Todd and others.

As a long time 1911 shooter, when I press out a stock Glock, particularly the G17/G22, I typically find the front sight sitting too high and have to consciously cock my wrist down. The GFA slightly changes the Glock grip angle, resulting in a perfect natural sight alignment when I press the pistol out. The GFA beavertail helps to ensure a more positive grip when aggressively drawing the pistol. It also provides more leverage which seems to help control the pistol during recoil on fast shot strings. The timer indicates I am having both a faster draw and quicker splits when I use a GFA equipped Glock. The web of my shooting hand occasionally gets bitten by a stock Glock slide--especially during high round count training sessions; the GFA beavertail seems to eliminate this possibility.

Installation is quite simple and takes about 60 seconds. I have modified all my GFA's. On the G17, I just reduce the ridges on the underside of the beavertail using a Dremel tool. With the G19, I do the same ridge reduction, but also cut the grip portion in half. All the 3rd gen Glocks I use have been stippled, so the GFA's on those pistols also got stippled.

http://www.10-8forums.com/ubbthreads/ubbthreads.php?ubb=download&Number=7655&filename=Glocks%20GFA.jpg

http://www.10-8forums.com/ubbthreads/ubbthreads.php?ubb=download&Number=7656&filename=G17%20GFA.jpg

http://www.10-8forums.com/ubbthreads/ubbthreads.php?ubb=download&Number=7657&filename=G19%20gfa.jpg

On RTF2 pistols, the GFA’s built in texture works fine, so I modify them as described above, but without sippling.

http://www.10-8forums.com/ubbthreads/ubbthreads.php?ubb=download&Number=7658&filename=G19%20RTF%20RMR.jpg

http://www.10-8forums.com/ubbthreads/ubbthreads.php?ubb=download&Number=7659&filename=G19%20RTF2%20GFA.jpg

All in all I am quite pleased with the GFA and now consider it a desirable addition to my Glocks.

turbolag23
09-04-2011, 08:01 AM
great work, why do you shorten the GFA on the g19?
I recently just put a GFA (unmodified) on my g19. only been to the range once so i havent had time to form a good opinion on it.

ToddG
09-04-2011, 09:56 AM
The GFA is high on my list of "why didn't someone think of that sooner?" accessories. Since I'm lazy this Sunday morning, I'll just copy what I wrote on PTC a month ago:

Honestly, I don’t want to like the GFA. The gun feels better in my hands without it. But not only are my press-outs faster and more certain, even my blind splits are faster thanks to the improved leverage. Running some 5-shot speed drills I was regularly getting splits in the high teens and hit a number of 0.13′s using the GFA. Without the GFA, those numbers were all about three hundredths of a second higher. That’s the same difference you see in the averages between the with & without GFA FAST run comparison, too. Now I’m the last guy to say that three hundredths of a second on your blind splits is critical. If you can get it for just $26.95 shipped, though…

Let’s face it, you have to choose shoots better over feels nice.

LittleLebowski
09-04-2011, 10:09 AM
I'll be blogging a review and posting one here soon, but I shot better with the GFA installed. You really don't know how good it feels until you try it and then then shoot without it. My pressout seems....better with it.

Kyle Reese
09-04-2011, 10:44 AM
Concur. I've been using my GFA for about 3 weeks now, and it's never coming off of my Glock 17. It's that good. :cool:

Odin Bravo One
09-04-2011, 01:48 PM
Ok, since Doc, TG, and GS are all in, I feel like I am left out of the cool kid club without one. So I suppose I'll get one. Not that I actually ever shoot my Glock, but if for some crazy reason I decide to, I want .13 splits too.

DocGKR
09-04-2011, 02:04 PM
While the full size GFA fit my hand perfectly on the G17, on the G19 the GFA tail end was uncomfortable so I cut it back until it no longer dug into my palm. IIRC, ToddG has a cut GFA on his G17. The GFA's are cheap enough so you can afford to experiment a bit.

DocGKR
09-04-2011, 06:23 PM
The owner of Grip Force saw this thread and emailed me, suggesting that the ridges on the underside of the GFA where it fits against the pistol backstrap can be reduced if one wants the device to fit more flush against the grip--especially when cut down like on the G19's above. Well, I took his advice and gave it a try--like the man said, it makes the GFA fit even better. Good company, good product--I'll be getting more of these!

Super J
09-04-2011, 06:48 PM
Another thumbs up Gor the GFA. I have them on my 35, 17 and 19 and love the grip angle. Installation was a breeze

JHC
09-04-2011, 08:09 PM
Ok, since Doc, TG, and GS are all in, I feel like I am left out of the cool kid club without one. So I suppose I'll get one. Not that I actually ever shoot my Glock, but if for some crazy reason I decide to, I want .13 splits too.

LOL same here (except I shoot them almost exclusively). I'm leaning on ordering two.

GJM
09-04-2011, 11:14 PM
The owner of Grip Force saw this thread and emailed me, suggesting that the ridges on the underside of the GFA where it fits against the pistol backstrap can be reduced if one wants the device to fit more flush against the grip--especially when cut down like on the G19's above. Well, I took his advice and gave it a try--like the man said, it makes the GFA fit even better. Good company, good product--I'll be getting more of these!

I really like the GFA but never cared for the ridges. This is what I have been doing to them:

http://i250.photobucket.com/albums/gg251/GJMandes/gfa.jpg

vcdgrips
09-06-2011, 10:36 AM
GJM,

That looks perfect, how did you do that?

David

GJM
09-06-2011, 10:55 AM
JoJo's, custom 1911 builder in CT did it. I told them it would be good practice for building one of their high end 1911's. :)

cgcorrea
09-06-2011, 12:00 PM
I really like the GFA but never cared for the ridges. This is what I have been doing to them:

http://i250.photobucket.com/albums/gg251/GJMandes/gfa.jpg

That's awesome dude. Those ridges were actually the only thing that I didn't like about the GFA on my G19. I'm gonna see about doing that to mine, and give it another shot.

Long tom coffin
09-14-2011, 11:37 AM
I'm still debating about whether or not to purchase one. My quandary runs thus:

I'm still relatively unschooled. I've had some pretty good training courses with firearms so far, and while I've almost exhausted what I have locally, I'm going to be in the market for more advanced training courses with nationally recognized instructors in the future. I've been shooting guns for awhile, but it's been mostly long guns. My CCW is only about a year and a half old, and I've been shooting handguns for only slightly longer than that. My first carry piece was a 5 shot revolver (Sp101, 3"), which is a great little gun. After about a year of research as to the platform I was going to invest in for serious use, I opted for the 9mm glocks. I am very happy with my decision.

However, I'm still in the process of practicing my technique. I run many of the drills that Todd posts on his blog, and while I am making measurable and satisfactory progress using them, I'm still primarily focusing on perfecting the fundamentals before I start adding crap to my guns. And I will freely admit I have a long way to go; while I am making good progress, my drill scores are still sufficiently embarrasing enough for me to have no desire to post them.

That said, I like the perceived benefits that Todd, the good Doctor, and others have posted with the GFA. But do I really need one at this point? What I'm concerned primarily with is that the GFA will be at this point a crutch for me to speed up my progress by dropping a few bucks instead of dropping a few hours of practice, and I want to have my reliance on my own skills, not on purchased hardware. I don't want to "buy skill" as Todd puts it and rely on accessories to bring me up to 90% of my possible skill level and then plateau out because I used gimmicks to mask deficiencies early on in my shooting career. What do you guys think?

JV_
09-14-2011, 11:51 AM
That looks perfect, how did you do that
I did mine with a dremel and a sanding drum.

Mjolnir
09-17-2011, 05:01 PM
Just picked up a "Mod 1" version this morning from the local "fun store". It has less pronounced grooves near the rear of the beavertail. In the barber chair at the moment. Will post a pic later this evening.

Grrr!

It's for a Gen3 not a Gen4. Oh, well...

JV_
09-20-2011, 11:25 AM
I've been using the GFA for a few weeks, I like it.

I ground down the grooves on the backstrap and knocked the corners off the rear grip squares. I have fairly small hands, and I found the GFA on a Gen3 did increase the grip enough to slow down my reloads (there's not smoking to begin with). The fix was to switch from the vickers mag release to a contoured Glock extended release. Previously, I had issues with the extended release chewing up my left hand, but that's fixed with the recontour and slightly different left hand position (because of the GFA).

I would rather modify my remaining Gen3 guns w/ a GFA and extended mag release than send them away for a grip reduction.

TGS
09-20-2011, 07:12 PM
I'm interested to try this concept but own a HK P2000. I think I'm going to do a hack-job on the XL back-strap. I'm thinking I'll sand down and round out the part of the palm/heel portion and leave the upper web part. Maybe put some grip-tape on the heel afterwards to finish it off....

Long tom coffin
09-20-2011, 08:51 PM
I've been using the GFA for a few weeks, I like it.

I ground down the grooves on the backstrap and knocked the corners off the rear grip squares. I have fairly small hands, and I found the GFA on a Gen3 did increase the grip enough to slow down my reloads (there's not smoking to begin with). The fix was to switch from the vickers mag release to a contoured Glock extended release. Previously, I had issues with the extended release chewing up my left hand, but that's fixed with the recontour and slightly different left hand position (because of the GFA).

I would rather modify my remaining Gen3 guns w/ a GFA and extended mag release than send them away for a grip reduction.

JV, is that contoured mag release an OEM part? I got a GFA to try it out. I have small hands as well, as well as a lovely set of club thumbs. WIth the full GFA, it was completely impossible for me to actuate the vickers mag release on my Gen 3. So I went ahead and cut the bottom 2/3rds of bottom of it off, sanded the sharp edges to round them, and then sanded the hell out of the grooves. Now, I only have to twist the pistol in my grip slightly more than without it, but the increased slowness in my reloads is definitely noticeable. My modified GFA definitely delivers on its promise in terms of what it does, but I'd definitely be interested in a larger mag release.

JV_
09-21-2011, 05:16 AM
JV, is that contoured mag release an OEM part?Glock makes an extended mag release. I rounded the edges, which ended up mirroring the rounding of a Vickers release, with a dremel sanding drum and file. It's nice that it's only a $4 part.

http://www.glockmeister.com/Mag-Catch-Factory-Extended-For-9mm-40-380-357-and-45G/productinfo/G1981/

FWIW: When I removed the grooves from the GFA, I was getting a bit of "bite" from the enlarged area that surrounds the pin hole, it needed to be relieved as well.

Ga Shooter
09-21-2011, 08:31 AM
OK enough poeple have praised the GFA that I am now wanting to try one myself. I looked at the website and noticed that they sell a small tube of black silico, which I assume is for attching the bottom part to the weapon. Is this needed and did those of you who have one use it? Wanted to know before I ordered.

Thanks

JV_
09-21-2011, 08:34 AM
The silicone is for:

SEMI-PERMANENT INSTALLATION
FOR GRIP FORCE ADAPTERS
FOR MILITARY / LAW ENFORCEMENT /
HARD DUTY USE

http://gripforceproducts.com/INSTALLATION_C9DT.html

I did NOT use it.

LittleLebowski
09-21-2011, 08:48 AM
I did not use the silicone nor do I see a need for it.

Ga Shooter
09-21-2011, 09:08 AM
Thanks guys! Did not notice the install links on the website. DUH!!!:o

ToddG
09-21-2011, 10:00 AM
I haven't used the silicone, either. My pistol has seen many thousands of rounds through it with the GFA. However, I've not dropped out of any airplanes or wrestled with any gorillas lately. So YMMV.

Ga Shooter
09-21-2011, 11:14 AM
I haven't used the silicone, either. My pistol has seen many thousands of rounds through it with the GFA. However, I've not dropped out of any airplanes or wrestled with any gorillas lately. So YMMV.

Well I am sure TSA will not let me board an airplane with my pistol even if I promise to jump out of it and since the Riverbanks Zoo made me quit wrestling their gorrilas I am sure I will be ok not using the silicon.:D

ToddG
09-21-2011, 11:39 AM
On the other hand, I'm pretty sure Grip Force wouldn't offer it as a solution if it was unnecessary. So folks who may subject the gun to greater stress than merely shooting it might seriously consider the modification.

Slavex
09-21-2011, 09:12 PM
put my GFA on today, what a difference. I am really surprised by how much improvement it made with my G19. Previously it would chew the shit out of my SH when shooting, and it pointed differently enough from my CZ that I alway have to work at it. With the GFA the gun seems to point pretty much the same, much less effort on my part when shooting at speed as well. Not sure that I like the center ridge in the top part of the GFA being slightly more pronounced, but unless I get a massive blister from using it, I don't think I'll change it. Very very impressed with it. I did have to remove a bunch of grip tape to fit it on the gun, but that wasn't any kind of big deal.

Maple Syrup Actual
09-21-2011, 10:14 PM
How much do you figure it adds to the overall circumference of the grip?

I have to admit I now feel an increasing desire to wrap my hands around your Glock.

awkward...

JV_
09-22-2011, 06:04 AM
I don't think a simple measurement of circumference tells the GFA story, it's about the new grip angle too, which IMO is the more important part.

It moved my strong hand thumb/palm intersection back (about) 1/16" which opened up more real estate for my weak hand. It did make it slightly more difficult to hit a Vickers slide release when dry firing, it didn't make a noticeable difference when running the gun.

TNWNGR
09-22-2011, 05:12 PM
Is anyone here using the GFA on a LE Duty Pistol? If so is it departmental issue or POW? I can only speak from my own experience but aside from a grip condom or plug everything else is verboten on an issue pistol. An off duty pistol offers the ability to use different brands of night or fiber optic sights, magazine floor plates release. It is what it is so any other insight or examples of duty use might prove useful.

Maple Syrup Actual
09-22-2011, 07:37 PM
I don't think a simple measurement of circumference tells the GFA story, it's about the new grip angle too, which IMO is the more important part.

It moved my strong hand thumb/palm intersection back (about) 1/16" which opened up more real estate for my weak hand. It did make it slightly more difficult to hit a Vickers slide release when dry firing, it didn't make a noticeable difference when running the gun.

No, I don't imagine it does...but I was curious about it anyway.

JHC
09-29-2011, 06:40 PM
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KDd2M-It1b4&feature=related

This well known fellow in the video doesn't seem to object as strongly to Gen 4 9mm's as I'd come to believe from numerous posts by others referencing his thoughts. He referred to his Gen 4 G19 as his "carry Gen 4 19". But I digress. Another great explanation of the benefits. I'm fixin' to order a couple to try out finally.

ToddG
09-29-2011, 06:44 PM
That video was made quite a while ago. If one were to ask Ken his experience with that particular G19 today, I don't think you'd hear him say he's carrying it.

JHC
09-30-2011, 05:43 AM
That video was made quite a while ago. If one were to ask Ken his experience with that particular G19 today, I don't think you'd hear him say he's carrying it.

No way!!! Way. I didn't think the grip force had been on the market that long, and assumed a thoroughly vetted pistol. That's a shame. I have two for Gen 4's inbound and I'm looking forward to checking these out. Been meaning to for awhile since the Pistol Training blog about how it felt worse but measured better (timer and targets).

Jon C
10-01-2011, 06:08 PM
I have personally watched that specific gun in the video shit the bed at an alarming rate...typical early G19 Gen 4 malfunctions. That was the second one after the first refused to function and had to be returned if I remember correctly.

Mine is a few months older than Ken's and has gone 5K rounds-ish with no ill effects.

To keep on topic, I use the Gripforce on 24 of my 27 Glocks. I am a solid believer in the concept although I grind the grooves totally smooth. I have scars on my hands from years of shooting Glocks at work before this product and it's been a game changer for me.

JHC
10-05-2011, 11:33 AM
Dang. The "carry" moniker may just have been marketing. ;)

Got two of these in and installed them and look forward to shooting them. I'm also amused by how screwed up Glock's Gen 4 grip size options are (conventional wisdom) and how cool the Grip Adaptors are. Yes I know the M&P's is an awesome and elegant design. It truly is. Just sayin'.

JHC
10-09-2011, 12:06 PM
uh oh ($25ea x 10). Me likey the Grip Force Adaptor on the Gen 4 G17. Ice cold 5.75 clean FAST from concealed start. That was 1st clue. 2nd clue was the 3/4 inch spread between hits on the 3x5 and group of 4 on the plate that had 2 touching, a 3rd nearly touching and the fourth opening it to about 3". I've never seen that before on my plates. Todd said it was "like buying skill". Hmmmmm.

5.75 cold ain't much for many here but while I've raced some faster with warmup, that is prob my best clean COLD run. So it got my attention.

wicked_police
10-17-2011, 08:58 AM
I got one from the great folks at Grey Group Training while I was at the Hackathorn Advanced Pistol class they hosted last weekend. I think I'll install it tonight and give it a try for some drills tomorrow, including the 'drill of the week'.

I'll have to try the Vickers slide stop as well. Both are just sitting on my bench waiting to be installed...

JV_
10-18-2011, 08:59 AM
After running my GFA for a while now, I removed it from my gun. While the gun does present better, because of the angle, I found that my error rate on dropping the mag to be too high. I am using an extended mag release, but it wasn't enough. I had problems shifting the gun in my hand to hit the release. If I had slightly larger hands, I'd have a GFA on all of my guns.

Ga Shooter
10-19-2011, 08:10 AM
Got mine yesterday. I will not have time to install it until this weekend but just holding it in place and gripping the gun it really feels great. I think after I get a chance to play with it I will probably cut the lower 1/3 to 1/2 off and it will be perfect. I will give my thoughts after I install it.

Magsz
10-19-2011, 12:03 PM
After running my GFA for a while now, I removed it from my gun. While the gun does present better, because of the angle, I found that my error rate on dropping the mag to be too high. I am using an extended mag release, but it wasn't enough. I had problems shifting the gun in my hand to hit the release. If I had slightly larger hands, I'd have a GFA on all of my guns.

JV, Gen 4 or 3?

I experience the same issue with the GFA on Gen 3 guns.

Its a little easier on the Gen 4 but still not perfect.

JV_
10-19-2011, 12:08 PM
JV, Gen 4 or 3?3. I'm going to hit the range tonight, my dry fire practice (last night) indicates I was much more consistent without it.

JeffJ
10-26-2011, 02:22 PM
I've put about 1200 rounds through my G34 with the GFA on and have been fighting a bad case of the lefts pretty much the whole time. I like the way it feels and presents but I think the longer reach is causing me to have too much finger on the frame. I've also noticed a bit more difficulty reaching the mag release. My first shot times are typically a little better than before I added the GFA but the difference is so small that it could easily be chalked up to more practice and dry fire, my overall accuracy is defiantly much worse.

I handled and dry-fired a Gen 4 for the first time yesterday, with the small backstrap and it felt much better in the sense that I felt like I had a good grip and didn't have to "make room" for my trigger finger as it came around the frame. I may just have to get a Gen 4 and see what happens.

Ga Shooter
10-26-2011, 03:25 PM
I finally got around to installing mine on my Gen 4 G19 last night. It feels really great. My draw and pressout feel good. It will be next Sat. before I can live fire with it. I did not have problems with reloads or hitting th mag release. I left it bone stock for now but it does seem to make the hump more pronounced to me. While I really like the upper portion I may trim the lower portion off for a better feel on the thumb musle part of my hand.

saints75
11-20-2011, 10:56 PM
I am looking forward to getting on in the near future for my Glock 22 3rd Gen. It looks like a good idea. I have a love, hate relationship with my Glocks. I love the reliability, I hate the grip angle. I have a Quick Grip on my duty G22. The grip has always worked for me. It doesn’t feel sold in my hand like a 1911 or a Sig. I think the Gripforce Adaptor will make my personal G22 feel or sold in my hand and improve the grip angle. If it work as well as I think it will, I will be getting two more, one for my G27 and G35. Maybe I will get one for my Department G22 if I can get the range staff to sign off on it. Thanks everyone for the impute.

turbolag23
11-23-2011, 08:56 AM
I just took the dremel to my GFA last night, sanded the ridges almost completely flat. it does feel better holding it so hopefully that transpires to shooting as well.

Ga Shooter
11-23-2011, 11:32 AM
I just took the dremel to my GFA last night, sanded the ridges almost completely flat. it does feel better holding it so hopefully that transpires to shooting as well.

I shot mine for the first time a couple of weeks ago(when I shot the real carrpy Press Six Drill). I ran it the way it came and the outer most left rib rubbed a hole right into my thumb. Good idea to sand those off first.

Odin Bravo One
11-23-2011, 01:40 PM
JV, what is the verdict after a little more time?

I am interested in giving them a test drive myself, but why buy one retail if I can snag up the stuff you don't want anymore at a discount?

JV_
11-23-2011, 01:49 PM
JV, what is the verdict after a little more time?I removed it, and didn't add it back. I have small hands and the added reach to the mag release proved problematic, even with a Glock extended release.

Excluding the reload issue, I liked everything about it. It moved my strong hand further back on the gun, which opened up the left side for more weak hand contact. That grip change also reduced the frequency of premature lock-backs.

You're welcome to mine, but I ground off the grooves on the back side. Interested?

JHC
11-23-2011, 02:27 PM
I have a few hundred rounds on one now on a Gen 4 G17. GFA in original form. I do like it. I can tell the sights are more level in alignment during press out. The stock GFA ridges have not caused me any discomfort. I cannot tell they are even there in any tactile sense. I grip pretty hard and there would be no rubbing movement in my hand FWIW.

I've seen some good FAST scores/times with it but essentially on par with my good FAST scores/times without it or with my Gen 3 G17 without a GFA.

I'll be curious to try out a GFA on a Gen 3 to see if it causes any mag release or slide release "reach" issues. I sort of doubt it would for me as I found the Gen 4's with the large grip insert to work very well with respect to mag and slide releases.

Beyond comparing FAST times/scores I "think" I detected tighter groups in 4 shots plus strings but I have more drilling to do to say for sure.

So I think its an advantage but have not measured enough difference yet to say for sure if I'll do an upgrade to the whole battery of Glocks here.

Odin Bravo One
11-23-2011, 04:00 PM
I removed it, and didn't add it back.

You're welcome to mine, but I ground off the grooves on the back side. Interested?

I'll give it a shot.............PM your paypal address again?

I'm all for tangible measuring sticks, as TLG brought up not too long ago when discussing this very device. However, at the same time, I put some credibility in "feel" too. I've never measured the performance of a reserve parachute, but it sure as shit "feels" good to have it installed.

JV_
11-23-2011, 04:10 PM
I didn't pay for it, just give me your address again.

-Sent using Tapatalk.

JB326
11-23-2011, 06:02 PM
Is anyone here using the GFA on a LE Duty Pistol? If so is it departmental issue or POW? I can only speak from my own experience but aside from a grip condom or plug everything else is verboten on an issue pistol. An off duty pistol offers the ability to use different brands of night or fiber optic sights, magazine floor plates release. It is what it is so any other insight or examples of duty use might prove useful.

A couple of years ago I was "ordered" to do something about the fact that about 50 rounds into any given range session I would have blood and flesh flying off the back of my slide every time it recoiled. My hands are little meatier than most I guess and that combined with my apparently extremely high grip don't mix well with Glock. So, since my primary carry guns (a 35 back when I was on patrol and a 23 for narcotics) are personally owned I DIY'd beavertails onto them with Acraglass. But, we only have a "no permanent alterations" policy on issued guns, so I am quite happy now that I can put a GFA on my department issued G22.

I also put a GFA on my newest family member, a G34, and it is the fastest pointing Glock of the whole bunch. I stippled mine and then ended cutting about 2/3 off of the grip portion. I definitely agree that the GFA is worth every penny paid.

Joseph B.
11-25-2011, 01:19 PM
Hey guys, I have Grip Force adapter for a Glock 22. I did not care for it and took it off, and now it sits in the pile of gun parts. If anyone wants to give it a try and see how it works for them, shoot me a PM with your addy and I’ll mail it off (no charge) in the USA (APO’s free as well).

JB326
11-25-2011, 05:29 PM
Hey guys, I have Grip Force adapter for a Glock 22. I did not care for it and took it off, and now it sits in the pile of gun parts. If anyone wants to give it a try and see how it works for them, shoot me a PM with your addy and I’ll mail it off (no charge) in the USA (APO’s free as well).

PM sent... I can certainly put it to good use.

jlw
11-25-2011, 07:11 PM
Glock makes an extended mag release. I rounded the edges, which ended up mirroring the rounding of a Vickers release, with a dremel sanding drum and file. It's nice that it's only a $4 part.

http://www.glockmeister.com/Mag-Catch-Factory-Extended-For-9mm-40-380-357-and-45G/productinfo/G1981/

FWIW: When I removed the grooves from the GFA, I was getting a bit of "bite" from the enlarged area that surrounds the pin hole, it needed to be relieved as well.

I contoured the edges with a hand file. It worked well.

Joseph B.
11-25-2011, 08:41 PM
PM sent... I can certainly put it to good use.

It's your's!

DocGKR
01-15-2012, 03:32 PM
There is now a new version of the Grip Force Adapter available, it is shorter in length along the back-strap than the current GFA and the grip tang area is smooth and contoured.

http://www.10-8forums.com/ubbthreads/ubbthreads.php?ubb=download&Number=7787&filename=GF%20GEN%20123SC%20small.jpg

Shellback
01-15-2012, 03:46 PM
Fantastic! Addresses the issues I had with GFA 1.0

F-Trooper05
01-15-2012, 04:10 PM
Where'd you get those mags, Doc?

DocGKR
01-15-2012, 05:07 PM
Sorry...not my mags.

GJM
02-08-2012, 10:12 PM
Received a package from Bill Rogers today with a few of the new GFA's. They are a definite improvement over the first gen, and I look forward to testing them on the timer. Besides the switch to a smooth surface, you have better trigger reach with them.

jstyer
02-09-2012, 09:20 AM
Any idea on when the gen 2 adapters will be available to order?

Shellback
02-09-2012, 10:09 AM
Any idea on when the gen 2 adapters will be available to order?

Is now too soon? :) http://gripforceproducts.com/GEN_123SC_ADAPTER.html

SmokeJumper
02-09-2012, 04:19 PM
Couple of questions on the GFA. I see that some of you are running these with a stippled/textured grip and I assume no issues with install and fit? I'm thinking it may not work with a Robar type grip job where an epoxy is added over the Glock factory grip and then textured, but no sure. Secondly, maybe my search fu was off, but will they work on the .45 frame like a Glock 30SF? Curious, thanks and sorry if this was covered already.

Slavex
02-10-2012, 03:29 AM
I love the GFA I have on my 19, no more slide bit, and less issues with the slide not locking back (still have some, but that's all me and my grip). I am very interested in the new smooth version though.

jstyer
02-11-2012, 09:51 AM
Huzzah!

Thanks irish... I'm not sure why I didn't see them when I checked the sight...

orionz06
02-11-2012, 08:29 PM
Strange for me in think the GFA caused more issues than it solved. For me I need to put in a lot more finger with the Glock than I do any other gun. The GFA made this pretty hard. Consequently forcing more finger, as per advice from F2S, has lessened the slide bite issues I was having.

JV_
02-11-2012, 09:15 PM
Strange for me in think the GFA caused more issues than it solved.Me too, but I'd like to try the new slim version.

orionz06
02-11-2012, 09:50 PM
Me too, but I'd like to try the new slim version.

Haven't pulled the trigger on one yet but I like the idea, much like I still think the regular GFA is great for some people, just not me.

GJM
02-11-2012, 09:51 PM
There is better trigger reach with the new GFA. The GFA makes a Glock points better for me, and protects the inside of my knuckle on the thumb, but I agree with Tom's comment on reach being an issue. Worst combo being a gen 3 with originl GFA. Trigger reach is a non-issue on an M&P for me.

orionz06
02-11-2012, 09:56 PM
Actually... I just popped one back on my dryfire G19 and I think my conscious efforts with more finger in dry fire might make the issue less prevalent with the GFA added. Will have to revisit it at the range one of these days.

Kyle Reese
02-28-2012, 05:18 PM
Got my new GFA in the mail today and promptly installed it on my primary Glock 17. I like the fact this variant doesn't tear up my hand. Much preferred to the older version.

F-Trooper05
02-28-2012, 06:29 PM
Got my new GFA in the mail today and promptly installed it on my primary Glock 17. I like the fact this variant doesn't tear up my hand. Much preferred to the older version.

+1. I like the length of the old ones though. I also wish they were a tad easier to install. I almost flung my G17 out the window out of frustration.

DocGKR
02-28-2012, 06:59 PM
I've installed several dozen GFA's, they took between 30-60 sec each to install...

m91196
02-28-2012, 07:10 PM
+1. I like the length of the old ones though. I also wish they were a tad easier to install. I almost flung my G17 out the window out of frustration.

I thought it was me, the 3 originals -easy on.

The new style-wow.....

But I like it

Kyle Reese
02-28-2012, 08:38 PM
I've installed several dozen GFA's, they took between 30-60 sec each to install...

That's about the time it took today.

Sent from my ADR6400L using Tapatalk

F-Trooper05
02-28-2012, 11:29 PM
I'll send you guys my next one then. :p

orionz06
02-28-2012, 11:30 PM
On my RTF2 it was a bitch. I had to use a loop of paracord and a windlass to pull it down, still only took a few seconds.

HeadHunter
02-29-2012, 10:51 PM
I put one on my Gen 1 G17 last night. It took about 30 seconds and was really easy. That mold must be really different than later Gens.

GJM
02-29-2012, 11:03 PM
I will be curious as to what you think. Bill sent me some of the new ones, which seem like a definite improvement over the first version. However, I have had the new GFA's on and off a half dozen times, and still am not sure whether I prefer a stock Glock to one with the GFA. I like the way the GFA makes the Glock point, and how it protects the inside of the knuckle on my thumb, but I prefer the shorter trigger reach without a GFA.

vaglocker
03-01-2012, 09:16 AM
Got my Gripforce adapter in the mail yesterday. The package contained both the new and old style which was kind of nice. I first put it on my Gen 3 19 and didn't like it at all. I have the extended Vickers mag release and I still had to significantly change my grip to hit the button. Also, the trigger reach was changed just enough that it was really disconcerting. I then put it on my Gen 4 17 in place of the medium back strap and it felt realy good. I could still hit the mag release without changing my grip and my trigger reach felt no different. So for now I think it is a no go for me on the Gen 3 but I'm looking forward to shooting it on my Gen 4.

David S.
03-01-2012, 03:49 PM
Just picked up a first gen adapter for my G19g3. I haven't modified it or shot with it yet, but make a couple initial impressions.

Fit was fine. It only took a couple minutes to install the product.
I have extra large hands (by glove size) so it appears this product will help guard against slide bite.
On the flip side, lowering my grip on frame may increase mag pinch (?). (Pinky and lower hand get pinched when inserting mag).
I also had a problem of insufficient grip real estate for two handed freestyle. I would have to pull the web of shooting hand away from backstrap to accommodate support hand. This seems to have solved that problem.
No problem reaching factory slide release or mag release. It may create a problem for folks with smaller hands.
It does noticeably lower my hand away from the bore axis. Not quite sure how that will affect shooting yet.
Texturing is excessive IMO. I think the new generation unit will be an improvement. I expect to find it uncomfortable during long shooting sessions.
I am comfortable with the normal Glock grip angle. Nothing was "fixed."

So far I'm happy with the purchase. After shooting with it, I may do some minor sanding of textured surfaces. The couple of problems that I have with it are probably fixed with the second generation adapter.

DocGKR
03-01-2012, 07:27 PM
I frequently got pinched when using G19 mags to quickly reload my G19's. As a result, I quickly discovered an elegantly simple solution--the only G19 mag I use is the one initially in the pistol. Every other mag I reload with is a G17 mag (Note a G19 mag with an OEM +2 baseplate and G17 mag spring will also generally prevent the pinch)...

Chuck Haggard
03-01-2012, 08:19 PM
I frequently got pinched when using G19 mags to quickly reload my G19's. As a result, I quickly discovered an elegantly simple solution--the only G19 mag I use is the one initially in the pistol. Every other mag I reload with is a G17 mag (Note a G19 mag with an OEM +2 baseplate and G17 mag spring will also generally prevent the pinch)...

I carry my G19s with the standard mag for concealability, but all of my reloads are G17 mags with +2 factory basepads. I don't get pinched that way, and I figure if I have to reload a G19 then things have really gone sideways, best to have as much ammo as possible at that time. I also note that I have larger hands, and the longer mags are easier for me to grip and index on the reload when I am pushing the speed. Standard G19 mags are short enough I start to fumble them.

I recently installed the GFA on my primary G19, like it so much I put another one on my duty G17. I like how it keeps the gun from eating my gun hand with slide bite, and how it fits my hand better. My hands are big enough that a standard G17 is a bit small for me so I have to always be sure and not get too much trigger finger into the trigger guard.

David S.
03-02-2012, 11:20 AM
I also note that I have larger hands, and the longer mags are easier for me to grip and index on the reload when I am pushing the speed. Standard G19 mags are short enough I start to fumble them.
I have the same problem. Thought it was just me being dumb.

Every other mag I reload with is a G17 mag
Pure genius. Thank you.

Quick tangent: Would this be considered "illegal" in IDPA or other shooting sports?

JeffJ
03-02-2012, 12:43 PM
I've never had a problem with it. You're limited to 10 rounds and it's factory equipment so I don't what the issue would be.

FWIW - all but one of my range mags are 17 and I shoot my 19 pretty much exclusively now and I've not had an issue

orionz06
03-02-2012, 12:46 PM
I've never had a problem with it. You're limited to 10 rounds and it's factory equipment so I don't what the issue would be.

FWIW - all but one of my range mags are 17 and I shoot my 19 pretty much exclusively now and I've not had an issue

Question: Regarding magazines extending beyond flush with the base of the grip. In the specific case, a Florida shooter routinely shoots a Glock 19, but uses Glock 17 magazines. At a recent match, he was challenged as to the legality of using magazines that extend below the gripframe of the pistol. Of course, a Glock 19 with a Glock 17 magazine inserted easily fits the IDPA box. I don't know why he likes to do this, but is there any problem with this practice?

Answer: If the gun fits the box with the magazine inserted then it is legal to use. They still have to comply with the division criteria for max rounds in a gun and if the magazine holds less than division capacity they can not mix mags to suit the stage. If they use a nine round magazine, then they can only load nine rounds in all their magazines even if one will hold ten.

Thank you,

Robert Ray

International Defensive Pistol Association

Boom

Cstandi1
03-04-2012, 10:03 PM
I just added the Gripforce to my G19 and took it to the range today. I saw an immediate improvement in the guns handling. However I experienced my first two malfunctions with this Glock ever. It was two failure to feeds. It has probably had 500-600 rounds through it since the last cleaning. Could the change in how I grip the pistol suddenly cause this?

DocGKR
03-11-2012, 06:43 PM
Started rocking the new 2nd gen GFA's--I like them very much for G19's. For G17's I like the slightly longer extension down the grip of the 1st gen, however the smooth beavertail and closer fit to grip of the 2nd gen are very appealing.

Nephrology
03-11-2012, 07:05 PM
Doc -

How do you find the installation of te Gen 2 GFA over the Gen 1 specifically on your RTF Glock ? I had a lot of difficulty with installing the Gen 1 on my G17RTF.

DocGKR
03-11-2012, 07:07 PM
1st gen, 2nd gen, regular, RTF--it has not mattered, as so far none of the several dozen installs I've done has taken more than 60-90 sec...

MattInFla
03-11-2012, 08:16 PM
For those concerned, IDPA has changed their initial ruling and the GFA is no longer IDPA-legal in SSP. It is permitted in ESP, though.

http://idpaforum.yuku.com/topic/8651/Grip-Force-Adapter

Matt

JV_
03-11-2012, 08:20 PM
For those concerned, IDPA has changed their initial ruling and the GFA is no longer IDPA-legal in SSP. It is permitted in ESP, though. Thanks. We have a thread for this discussion over here: http://pistol-forum.com/showthread.php?3452-Grip-Force-Adapter-not-legal-in-SSP-for-IDPA

Geohans
03-17-2012, 08:47 AM
I just installed the NEW smooth grip force adapter on my new gen4 19. I ordered one, and it shipped with the earlier ribbed version and the new smooth version.

Grip angle is improved; bore axis and trigger reach are increased slightly.

Also, there is a small gap along the side edges of the installed GFA. I notice it only when I remove my strong hand from the pistol grip; there is a sense of scraping the edge of the grip force adapter as you draw your hand back from the grip.

Is this simply to be expected?

Geohans
03-17-2012, 11:03 AM
Update:

From the website, it's clear that the NEW smooth version is designed to fit over the "standard" or medium grip, not the "naked" gen 4.

this is disappointing for me.

An adhesive is recommended for use on the naked grip; I assume this would hold the GFA tighter along the sides, eliminating the little gap.

Next question: will an adhesive leave permanent marks/scars/rough spots on the frame?

cgcorrea
03-20-2012, 08:17 AM
1st gen, 2nd gen, regular, RTF--it has not mattered, as so far none of the several dozen installs I've done has taken more than 60-90 sec...

Same here. I recieved my two(Gen1 and Gen2) GFAs in the mail yesterday evening, and it literally took me less than a minute to replace the pin and snap one onto my G17 RTF2. Although I ended up putting the new slick GFA on my G19, because of its shorter back strap. I put the gen1 GFA on the G17. Now I just need to get a dremel tool. The slick beaver tail feels great.

GJM
03-20-2012, 08:31 AM
I have had the new GFA on and off several Gen 4 Glock pistols a half dozen times. I like the way the GFA feels, but I don't note any difference in draw time or accuracy -- except I have definitely confirmed by repeated testing, as recently as this week, that the GFA adds about .03 to my splits on a high probability target. I think the longer trigger reach with the GFA causes my trigger finger to be in a less relaxed position, and thus less able to work the trigger as easily.