PDA

View Full Version : Moving to Dallas

JAD
06-24-2015, 07:41 PM
Folks, I'll be moving to Dallas (Cedar Hill, actually, though I'll work in Plano until I can move the office) by the end of July. There are things I'd like to know; I've done a lot of googling but like-minded input is the best kind. Please feel free to PM if you prefer.

1. Ranges. I like DFW just fine, within limits, and it will be on my way often enough. But I'd like a range (that maybe could be a little more restrictive) closer to the south side, and I'd like a range (that maybe doesn't have to be as close) where I can really work out -- cover, movement, and preferably steel. Pistol is my primary concern although I do about 4 carbine sessions and 2 longer range sessions a year.

2. Matches: I prefer IDPA but I'm not a total snob about it.

3. CHL: as far as I can tell I'll need to establish residency for six months before even entering the process. I guess I can get away with using my MO CCW until that concludes, but I'd prefer to get right quicker.

Thanks for any help.

texag
06-24-2015, 07:59 PM
TDSA south of Dallas on 45 is your best bet for cover/movement/steel. I had a membership there until I moved over to the Tarrant side of the metroplex.

RoyGBiv
06-24-2015, 08:21 PM
3. CHL: as far as I can tell I'll need to establish residency for six months before even entering the process. I guess I can get away with using my MO CCW until that concludes, but I'd prefer to get right quicker.

6 months residency is no longer a requirement. Was removed from the law 4 or 6 years ago, IIRC.
Current law is that you can apply for a resident license the same day you get your TX DL.
If you are traveling now to TX, you can apply today for a TX non-resident permit.
1. Apply online (you have 6 months to finish the class and fingerprints after applying)
2. Schedule electronic fingerprints for your next visit (requires an appointment, takes 10 minutes)
3. Take the class next time you're here... can be same trip as fingerprints.
It should take less than 2 months (statutory limit) to get your non-res license. My wife got hers in 20 days earlier this year.
Once you move to TX and get a TX DL, send in the form to change your address and they'll send you a resident license.

Here's the part that's tricky.
If you have a MO "resident" license, it's good here as long as you have a MO drivers license.
If MO issues non-resident licenses, then the minute you get your TX DL, your "resident" MO license is no longer accepted by TX. If you can get a MO non-resident license, that should be ok here. I carried here for years on a FL non-resident license. TX recognizes non-res licenses from the States they recognize, but they consider a residnet license with a non-matching DL to be invalid.

I had a good friend move here from WA recently and he went round-round with DPS about it. They were adamant... WA resident license + WA DL is fine. WA resident license + TX DL is no bueno.

I am not an expert on this but I'm pretty familiar with it.
if you want to verify anything, email TX DPS. I hear they're pretty helpful.

Welcome!

ETA:

GC §411.173. NON-RESIDENT LICENSE. (a) The department by rule shall
establish a procedure for a person who meets the eligibility requirements of
this subchapter other than the residency requirement established by Section
411.172(a)(1) to obtain a license under this subchapter if the person is a legal
resident of another state or if the person relocates to this state with the intent
to establish residency in this state.

Check out CHL-16 (https://www.txdps.state.tx.us/internetforms/Forms/CHL-16.pdf) (link opens PDF) if you have not done so already.

pr1042
06-24-2015, 08:33 PM
http://www.ettsgunrange.com/ in Waxahachie. I think membership is $600 a year but perhaps they do day passes as needed

I went there for a steel match a few weeks ago and it was great place, just a little bit of a drive. They laid down asphalt so unlike other ranges in the area, it doesn't flood with heavy rain. They do 3 gun, USPSA, and "outlaw" steel matches

I usually shoot IDPA at Elm Fork (Irving) and various matches at Dallas Pistol Club (steel and IDPA-ish) but both are underwater still :(

Gadfly
06-24-2015, 08:47 PM
Welcome to Texas!

TR675
06-24-2015, 09:54 PM
Welcome!

Ranges: Cedar Hill is reasonably close to both TDSA and ETTS. ETTS is much nicer but twice as much $$. Elm Fork is good for shotgun sports. I do not like anything about the DFW Gun Range. Air conditioning is poor compensation for long wait lines, lead poisoning and lunatic co-shooters.

Look up DAPS (Dallas Action Pistol Shooters) for USPSA and IDPA.

JAD
06-24-2015, 10:49 PM
Thanks all for the welcome and the input so far! If I read right, RGB, I will be naked from the day I get my tx dl (for which I will surrender my MO DL), which will be the same day I apply for my CHL, until the state coughs up my CHL -- 60 days.

PPGMD
06-24-2015, 11:29 PM
There is a ton of IDPA between Collin County, Cross Timbers, and DAPS.

I've shot at both TDSA, and ETTS. ETTS is a better range when it is dry, more larger bays, and fewer overall members. Even during a match there are spare bays. But when it rains it is a mud pit for anywhere from a day to a week.

TDSA two gravel bays stay drier than ETTSs bays. But particularly on wet day it is near impossible to get in. I loved TDSA when it was open 24/7. I would show up at zero dark thirty, setup by headlamp and start shooting at first light (aka the only time it was cool enough in the summer). I would occasionally just go in the late evening and shoot to work on low light shooting.

I haven't been to a descent indoor range, but all the ones I went to sucked. Maybe some of the new Guntry clubs are better, but I wouldn't hold my breath.

NorthernHeat
06-25-2015, 06:33 AM
Welcome!

Great to see all these local people on here also...

David S.
06-25-2015, 07:22 AM
Thanks all for the welcome and the input so far! If I read right, RGB, I will be naked from the day I get my tx dl (for which I will surrender my MO DL), which will be the same day I apply for my CHL, until the state coughs up my CHL -- 60 days.

Up to 60 days. But yes. I'm at 30 days for my wife and I.

DFW Gun isn't too bad as long as you get there off peak. Don't bother after 3-4pm or on weekends. They do allow you to shoot from the holster, which seems unusual for Dallas are ranges. Still no "rapid fire" though.

RoyGBiv
06-25-2015, 08:54 AM

Yes. Unless you find a way around that.

Get ANY non-resident license that Texas recognizes. Arizona is an easy one. They will accept most other States licenses as "proof of training". $60 and a few weeks time and you can get an AZ permit, completely by mail. You'll need to ask DPS specifically about how they feel about an AZ non-res license that points to a MO address when you're holding a TX DL. I bet it's a pretty quick process to get an address change on an AZ license. I plan to switch from FL non-res to AZ non-res when my FL permit expires. Used to be that my FL non-res was good in places where my TX res license was not honored. Not the case any longer but still want to have a backup.

Looks like MO does not issue non-res licenses, so, converting over from res to non-res is a non-starter.

Again.... My wife got her license in the mailbox 20 days after submitting her prints and paperwork. If your background check is clean, I would expect 30-45 days currently. My renewal took 45 days... I'm guessing they correctly prioritized new applications over renewals on licenses that still had 6 months of life remaining. TX DPS seems to have their stuff together these days.

Glenn E. Meyer
06-25-2015, 09:01 AM
While not Dallas - I''ll throw in a FAQ for Austin and surrounds. They might have an event that interests you.

http://www.krtraining.com/FAQs/AustinGunFAQ.HTML

Chuck Whitlock
06-30-2015, 10:34 AM

Yes. Unless you find a way around that.

Get ANY non-resident license that Texas recognizes. Arizona is an easy one. They will accept most other States licenses as "proof of training". $60 and a few weeks time and you can get an AZ permit, completely by mail. You'll need to ask DPS specifically about how they feel about an AZ non-res license that points to a MO address when you're holding a TX DL. I bet it's a pretty quick process to get an address change on an AZ license. I plan to switch from FL non-res to AZ non-res when my FL permit expires. Used to be that my FL non-res was good in places where my TX res license was not honored. Not the case any longer but still want to have a backup.

Looks like MO does not issue non-res licenses, so, converting over from res to non-res is a non-starter.

Again.... My wife got her license in the mailbox 20 days after submitting her prints and paperwork. If your background check is clean, I would expect 30-45 days currently. My renewal took 45 days... I'm guessing they correctly prioritized new applications over renewals on licenses that still had 6 months of life remaining. TX DPS seems to have their stuff together these days.

A Utah non-res license should work, too. I remember some instructors in Omaha and IA doing classes for Utah permits.

ETA: Here's a link to one of them in the Omaha area:

http://www.neccwtraining.com/

RoyGBiv
06-30-2015, 12:05 PM
I'd be a little careful about UT. Back in 201-11-ish there was a bunch of flack about UT issuing licenses to TX residents so they could bypass the TX process. Less cost, lower bar, etc. UT subsequently changed their license requirements such that you had to have a license in your home state before UT would issue you a license. Not sure how that works out if you move from MO to UT and don't have a "home state" license for some period of time? UT may say that's ok, but TX DPS may feel differently about it.

53-5-704.
(4) (a)In addition to meeting the other qualifications for the issuance of a concealed firearm permit
under this section, a nonresident applicant who resides in a state that recognizes the validity of the
Utah permit or has reciprocity with Utah's concealed firearm permit law shall:
(i) hold a current concealed firearm or concealed weapon permit issued by the appropriate
permitting authority of the nonresident applicant's state of residency;

Cincinnatus
06-30-2015, 12:20 PM
I'd be a little careful about UT. Back in 201-11-ish there was a bunch of flack about UT issuing licenses to TX residents so they could bypass the TX process. Less cost, lower bar, etc. UT subsequently changed their license requirements such that you had to have a license in your home state before UT would issue you a license. Not sure how that works out if you move from MO to UT and don't have a "home state" license for some period of time? UT may say that's ok, but TX DPS may feel differently about it.

Could he apply for the UT lic. BEFORE leaving MO or losing MO permit?

RoyGBiv
06-30-2015, 12:56 PM

Certainly... However the question would remain as to whether TX would still honor the UT non-res during the time between moving to TX and acquiring a TX "home state" license. I would ask that question specifically of TX DPS and get their answer in writing, before I carried on a UT license without a home state license.

I would bet that if you called UT, they would tell you that their license would remain valid until renewed (I'm assuming here), but TX DPS may see it differently, since a TX DL but no TX CHL does not meet the letter of UT law for issuing someone a UT non-res license. TX DPS may claim that the UT non-res permit holder does not qualify to hold a UT license since they do not also hold a current home state permit, even though UT says their license remains valid until renewed.

Chuck Whitlock
06-30-2015, 01:15 PM

Certainly... However the question would remain as to whether TX would still honor the UT non-res during the time between moving to TX and acquiring a TX "home state" license. I would ask that question specifically of TX DPS and get their answer in writing, before I carried on a UT license without a home state license.

I would bet that if you called UT, they would tell you that their license would remain valid until renewed (I'm assuming here), but TX DPS may see it differently, since a TX DL but no TX CHL does not meet the letter of UT law for issuing someone a UT non-res license. TX DPS may claim that the UT non-res permit holder does not qualify to hold a UT license since they do not also hold a current home state permit, even though UT says their license remains valid until renewed.

It was my point to get the UT license before leaving MO. I would imagine, that once he does get his TX Driver's license, if it became an issue an examination of issued dates would establish that he had the UT permit prior to the TX DL, and clearly show that he'd been a resident for less time than it takes to receive his TX CHL, which he explains is in process. Such would ring hollow if the issue date showed he'd been a TX resident for 18 months, but I think this would be reasonable. At least, that's how I'd view it.

RoyGBiv
06-30-2015, 05:53 PM
It was my point to get the UT license before leaving MO. I would imagine, that once he does get his TX Driver's license, if it became an issue an examination of issued dates would establish that he had the UT permit prior to the TX DL, and clearly show that he'd been a resident for less time than it takes to receive his TX CHL, which he explains is in process. Such would ring hollow if the issue date showed he'd been a TX resident for 18 months, but I think this would be reasonable. At least, that's how I'd view it.
UT won't issue a license without a home state permit. So, I assume he'll have a MO license when he applies for UT. The problem is...... What does TX DPS say about a UT license when the licence holder is no longer in possession of a home state permit. UT may very well be OK with it, but when you get pulled over by a TX Trooper, "UT said it's ok" doesn't carry much weight.

Chuck Whitlock
06-30-2015, 07:17 PM
He could also go FL, if that's going to be an issue.

RoyGBiv
06-30-2015, 09:15 PM
He could also go FL, if that's going to be an issue.

Yes... but...

FL = $112 + $42 = $154
AZ = $60

imp1295
06-30-2015, 09:39 PM
:( I just had to move to PA from TX. We can't wait until retirement to get back.

Good luck. We loved it - even my Northern Californian wife fell in love with Texas after only a month.

David S.
07-01-2015, 06:46 AM
I just got my permit this week. 30 days after filing the application.

JAD
10-01-2015, 07:27 AM
Also, I need a good gunsmith, rifle-specific, C+R savvy type of person. It's to unfu*kulate my K31 scout (https://pistol-forum.com/showthread.php?5817-C-amp-R-Fans&p=99119&viewfull=1#post99119). I have feed issues that I believe can be addressed by moving the action in the stock, but I believe that to be beyond my paygrade. I will drive, say, to Austin if necessary.

JAD
10-26-2015, 10:25 AM
And furthermore, I am looking for the best gun shop to use. I need reasonably friendly transfers and a good selection, particularly of 1911s both new and used. Someone who stocks Wilson Combat would get high marks. I am not terribly concerned with pricing. I'm pretty open to location.

TR675
10-26-2015, 10:29 AM
Jackson armory.

Brandon Luter who is affiliated with JA can probably help with your stock issue.

Jakus
10-26-2015, 10:34 AM
Jackson Armory in Highland Park is what you are looking for regarding stocking Wilson Combat. My other favorite gun shops are Grab-a-gun in Coppell, tiny almost non-existent store front but they have a huge online store with great pricing and allow for local pickups. Be aware that not everything is in the local warehouse so same day is not always possible. The other new one I like is Rifle Gear in Plano. They just moved here from California. Same as grabagrun, big online sight, but they act actually have everything there to see in person.

I can't speak to these retail stores transfer fees/process. I have only ever bought from these stores directly. For transfers I use a local guy that works out of his house in Plano. He's great to deal with, but may not be convenient based on where you are in DFW.

Dagga Boy
10-26-2015, 10:39 AM
Jackson can be a bit pricey on transfers, but they do it well. Figure out a time when you are free this week and I will take you down and introduce you to all the guys. Brandon does good restoration work. Also, they have more Wilson stuff in stock than you will likely see anywhere else.

RoyGBiv
10-26-2015, 10:50 AM
reasonably friendly transfers and a good selection, particularly of 1911s both new and used.

An LGS may not be the low-cost place for transfers.
Suggest you post a request over on texaschlforum.com .
Or serach the FFL sub forum there at http://texaschlforum.com/viewforum.php?f=22

Lots of home-office FFL's that'll do transfers for $10 - $15. (yes... $10 is a legit number)

PPGMD
10-26-2015, 11:52 AM
I used Silenced America in Carrollton for my transfers.

I never bought much at LGSs.

JAD
10-26-2015, 12:51 PM
Thanks very much to everyone for their replies.

johncorey
10-26-2015, 02:35 PM
For super rare and unique 1911s, Heritage Firearms in Cedar Park (Austin) is worth your time. Mike sells some very interesting pieces regularly for some dude who is financing his retirement that way.

Some examples:
-sequential SN Colt Delta's with hard chrome from the factory w/ accompanying Letter of Authenticity from CT.
-1980s Ed Brown built 1911 as a carry pistol for a Texas Ranger, w/ Letter of Authenticity from the Ranger. This was easily the smoothest 1911 I have ever handled.
-Virgil Tripp built and chromed 1911 from the mid 1990s, w/ Letter from Virgil

And a boat load more like those. You get the idea. There is no telling what shoes up in the case, and they rarely last a week. Definitely worth checking out, even just for the eye candy factor.

HCM
10-26-2015, 04:33 PM
Also, I need a good gunsmith, rifle-specific, C+R savvy type of person. It's to unfu*kulate my K31 scout (https://pistol-forum.com/showthread.php?5817-C-amp-R-Fans&p=99119&viewfull=1#post99119). I have feed issues that I believe can be addressed by moving the action in the stock, but I believe that to be beyond my paygrade. I will drive, say, to Austin if necessary.

Don of Dons gunshop in San Antonio - he is likely as old as your K 31 but he does great work.